Do single guys (non pedophiles) go to the movies by themselves?

chai2

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 03:14 pm
@mm25075,
mm25075 wrote:

good advice. We don't have any Y's in my area but I'll check into something like it.

Volunteer work...hmmm.

Roberta, as usual, has wonderful advise.

I'd like to take it a step further....

I suggesting this because you said you like your time alone, but at the same time would like to socialize but not feel the pressure (in my way of thinking, to be "on")

Rather than a gym, or the Y, maybe you could consider going to beginners yoga class.

For years I went to the gym, but never got into aerobics classes, or anything that involved being all up and frenetic around people. I never like the feeling of looking around and thinking I should be doing better, comparing myself to others, but that seemed inevitable...even when not in a class, and just on the machines.
Plus, I frankly found the type of people who go to gyms generally boring, empty headed, or concentrating on getting it done so they can go back to their lives.

I started by taking a beginners series, where everyone there was either brand new, or coming back to yoga after a long break.
It was not a class at the Y, which I think emphasizes just the physical part of it, but at an actual yoga studio, where that is all they do, promoting inner growth and peace in other areas besides your body.

From the first class, I knew I was home. During class you are totally in yourself, but before and after I've had wonderful conversations with many people. You do what you can do, and it's very accepting that you are able to do certain things on a particular day, but not on others.
It's a place of calm, but at the same time is energizing from within.

It's totally fine to start conversations with someone by saying..."I've noticed you before, at Sandani's kundalini and meditation class last Wednesday. I appreciated the way you were able to adapt that posture by using a blanket under your neck. It really helped me when I tried it later" I said exactly that to a woman the other day, and we spoke for a bit, not more than a minute. Then, last night I looked up and she was settling in across the room. When she looked at me she just gave a quiet nod and small smile, but it meant a lot more....It would have been the same way if it had been a man I'd said that to.

Anyway, food for thought.
Diest TKO

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 03:25 pm
What do pedophiles have to do with going to a movie alone?

I go to movies alone all the time. I go during the day to matinees so I don't have lines and the pick of any seat in the theater. When people see me alone, they think something is weird?

T
K
O
mm25075

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 03:31 pm
@Diest TKO,
Nothing at all. I am happy to know that men sometimes go to the theater by themselves. Very Happy

I worded my subject line badly -sorry.
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 03:32 pm
@roger,
ok. thanks for the perspective. I had not thought about that.
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 03:34 pm
@chai2,
Yoga sounds like it could work for me. I've never really liked aerobics classes but I had a stretch/tone class that really kept me motivated because it was less focus on carido and more on relaxation. Very Happy Thanks Chai!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 03:55 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

Years ago, in my early 20's, my bf was the manager of a movie theater. It was a grand old place, the kind that wasn't broken up into small sections. You had to climb over lots of people if you were sitting in the middle and had to get up.

One day I stopped by just to chat, and felt like watching a movie. There was some kind of tween movie starting just then, so I figured I'd watch, or take a nap. I was wearing shorts and a little summer top, I was skinny and had my hair in a pony tail, no makeup. In the dark I probably looked 12 or 13, since I'm short.

The theater was really empty, maybe 20 people in there (that was nothing in a place so big). This guy came and sat next to me 10 minutes into the film, and I remember thinking "there's so many empty seats, why'd he have to take up my space"
Well, 15 minutes later something cute/funny happened in the movie, and everyone laughed. It was one of those "share the moment" things, and I turned to the guy to just say "that was cute"

Well, you know what he was doing.

I immediately got mad, because I realized he thought I was one of the real 12 year old girls in the theater, and I slammed him as hard as I could across the chest and said "WHAT THE HELL....."

The scary part was then, because he just looked at me with these dead eyes, and he didn't "miss a beat"

I jumped up and had to cross in front of him to get to the aisle, because there was about 50 empty seats going the other way, and I wasn't sure he wouldn't follow me.
I remember looking down as I was hopping across him as fast as I could and thinking 2 things. Primarly "jesus christ, don't blast off now!" and "geez, he's got a really big cock for such a little guy"

police were called, etc.

what would one of the 12 or 13 year old girls have done.
I don't know.....I didn't know what to do.....you really don't have a plan for that ususally.

I'm sure this happens all the time.
kickycan

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 04:06 pm
@mm25075,
mm25075 wrote:

LOL - because I could just see the thread turning into a statement how pedophiles go to the movies to see objects of their affection.

I'm looking for a friend to hang with..not a pedo Smile

Meetup dot com sounds like it might be just the thing. They have different groups for different tastes, and it isn't just for picking up someone to take home. The whole site is dedicated to getting people together for friendly gatherings. I bet if you look on the site, you'll find something to appeal to you, and then it's just a matter of showing up at a meetup.
mm25075

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 05:07 pm
@kickycan,
Kickycan, I had heard of that site but thought it was more for dating than just friendships. I will definately have to check it out! Thanks!
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 06:18 pm
@chai2,
Holy

That's seriously creepy... that you checked out his junk. Razz So he was arrested? Then what? Charged with indecent exposer? I'd have crawled over the seats and never crossed into his firing range. Creepy creep creep.

T
K
O
chai2

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 07:18 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

Holy

That's seriously creepy... that you checked out his junk. Razz So he was arrested? Then what? Charged with indecent exposer? I'd have crawled over the seats and never crossed into his firing range. Creepy creep creep.

T
K
O

Well, when I looked into his eyes, and saw nothing there, I wanted to get away from him as quickly as possible.

I think crawling over the seat would have put me off balance, and he could have grabbed me, looked up my shorts, whatever. Going the other way would have meant going off into the dark, he could have followed.

I wasn't checking out his junk so much as keeping an eye on it while I did the cross over. It's amazing what you see and retain in 1/2 a second. Believe me, I was lightning fast. This little 2 step with my hand held, palms out, in front of my chest, in a classic girly "ewwwwwww" move.
I was scared he would reach out for me, but more mad at the thought he could have been sitting next to a little girl.

What happened? You'll be disappointed, but at least I was honest.

I ran into the lobby, where bf was standing up by the cashier, talking. I was like "PSSSTTTTT, PSSSSSST"! as I didn't want to have this guy run past me and run out.
He came over and I remember my exact words "There's some guy jerking off in there, sitting next to me!"

We go in but of course he's not sitting there any more. bf looked around, but we both figured he ran out one of the exit doors.
I decided to sit and watch the rest of the film, closer to other people.
After a few minutes Master Bates comes walking up the aisle toward the main lobby. I followed him and when he went he the lobby, I'm all "THAT'S HIM, THAT'S HIM!!!"

He didn,t or pretended he didn't speak any English (cuban) so acted like he didn't know what bf was saying/asking him. He pulled this stub of paper out of his pocket, showing it to bf, like pretending he was being asked for proof he had a ticket. BF, obviously mad...said "that's not even one of our tickets! Don't you realize you were jerking off in front of my GF"

Uh....he all of a sudden understood that much English, and clammed up.

The police come, yada yada, and after taking the report the officer said really seriously if I was 100% sure it was that man, and could not have been someone else who was in there. Did I remember his clothes as being the same, etc.

I thought about it long and hard. I knew it was him. I knew it. But, I could not honestly say in the brief encounter, I could tell you what he was wearing, anything identifying in the dark theater, except that he was a cuban man, short, dark hair....maybe a few other generalities that wouldn't mean a thing.

So, he got kicked out, and I guess I learned to look at the shirt and shoes of someone masturbating in next to me.

He was creepy, I wasn't.
boomerang

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 07:41 pm
Oh my gosh! My sister and I went to an afternoon movie once and it wasn't crowded at all. In the middle of the movie this woman stood up and started screaming "GET YOUR HANDS OFF ME!!!!"

Some strange guy had sat down next to her and started fondling her about halfway through the movie. The guy jumped up and ran away. The theater turned the lights on and started a manhunt.

Wow.

Okay. Not a pedo but pretty gross.

Anyway.....

I used to go to a movie series at a museum, often I went alone, it was a GREAT place to meet people. I can't see movie theaters working as a way to make friends but seriously, the museum movie night was a blast.

Honestly though, the best way to meet people is to get a dog and walk it everyday for a long way. You'll meet everyone in your neighborhood.
Diest TKO

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 08:36 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
He was creepy, I wasn't.
It was a joke howdy, a joke. You're not creepy.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 09:39 pm
@chai2,
Sad thing is that almost every woman I know has a story like that, and worse still is how many of them aren't in dark theaters but out in open streets, crowded bus stops and more.

And don't even get me started about what happens to some women on crowded buses and subways some places!
chai2

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 09:40 pm
@Robert Gentel,
oh, lemme tell ya about the guy parked next to me while I was unpacking my groceries.

oh yeah, it's all over.
jespah

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 04:04 am
@chai2,
Yep - walking in the neighborhood of the suburban office I worked in, when I was 17. Ai yi yi.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 04:58 am
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

I go to movies alone all the time. I go during the day to matinees so I don't have lines and the pick of any seat in the theater. When people see me alone, they think something is weird?

T
K
O
A former girlfriend of mine, Marilyn, took her daughter
to a movie and told me that she saw a pedofile there.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 05:52 am
@mm25075,
mm25075 wrote:

Strange question, perhaps. My mom and some of my female friends
say that when they are feeling lonely and looking for social interaction
will go to the movies by themselves. Well, I don't even have a TV
at the moment and really don't miss the 'passive' activity of watching it,
but I have thought about going to the movies by myself, trick is,
I'm quite shy most of the time so it would not be much a 'social'
time but rather simply watching the movie and returning home.

I need to meet people (not necessarily male) but it just seems like
that's the wrong place to meet people. What do y'all think?
I began going to the movies, usually alone, when I was
around 5 or 6 years old. I enjoyed it a lot.
From then until now, I have never made a friend
who I met there for the first time, unless it was a pre-arranged meeting.

I have not seen a pedofile there.

Altho I love the movies, I bought a giant sized Hi Definition TV
which displays many movies from Time Warner Cable.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 06:19 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
Quote:
Oh my gosh! My sister and I went to an afternoon movie once and it wasn't crowded at all.
In the middle of the movie this woman stood up and started screaming "GET YOUR HANDS OFF ME!!!!"

Some strange guy had sat down next to her and started fondling her about halfway through the movie.
The guy jumped up and ran away.
The theater turned the lights on and started a manhunt.

Wow.

Okay. Not a pedo but pretty gross.

Anyway.....

I used to go to a movie series at a museum, often I went alone, it was a GREAT place to meet people.
I can't see movie theaters working as a way to make friends but seriously, the museum movie night was a blast.
I was probably in my 20s in a movie theater that was mostly mt
when an elderly homosexual seated himself next to me.
After a while, he motioned and gestured that I shoud take an interest in his groin.
I raised my voice and called him a damn queer.
If it happened in the future, I 'd probably be less energetic about rejecting his overtures.
It can be possible to reject his suggestions without being so loud about it.

There were other occasions when some guy sat immediately next to me
in response to which I just moved over and changed my seat to get more space.

boomerang wrote:
Quote:
Honestly though, the best way to meet people is to get a dog and walk it everyday for a long way.
You'll meet everyone in your neighborhood.
This is true. I was walking my 6 week old German Shephard puppy in the summertime.
A woman on another block asked me to wait, while she went inside and got her 2 daughters out to meet me.
She asked me to continue dog-walking by there in the future.

David
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 04:49 pm
@chai2,
I go to the theater by myself all the time. If there's something I want to see and nobody else wants to go, I just go by myself. Been doing it for years.

Nobody weird has ever sat down beside me and done anything out of the ordinary. My theater experiences have all be rather benign.

Once, years ago when I was at the theater alone, a beautiful woman came in alone and sat by herself a few rows away (a very rare event). I expected someone to show up to meet her, but nobody ever did. It was a scifi movie, so I was intrigued with her without knowing anything else about her other than that. I was tempted to go over and ask if I could join her, but I thought maybe she came alone because she wanted to be alone so I didn't do anything. My indecision bothered me through the entire film.

I would say that meeting guys at the movies is not going to work very well. Really nice guys like me will probably be indecisive and passive, leaving you more likely to encounter the "other" types.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 08:30 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

I would say that meeting guys at the movies is not going to work very well.
I agree. When I go to the movies,
I usually just mind my own business, buy Milk Duds n watch the movie.

David