Do single guys (non pedophiles) go to the movies by themselves?

mm25075

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:02 pm
Strange question, perhaps. My mom and some of my female friends say that when they are feeling lonely and looking for social interaction will go to the movies by themselves. Well, I don't even have a TV at the moment and really don't miss the 'passive' activity of watching it, but I have thought about going to the movies by myself, trick is, I'm quite shy most of the time so it would not be much a 'social' time but rather simply watching the movie and returning home.

I need to meet people (not necessarily male) but it just seems like that's the wrong place to meet people. What do y'all think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 17 • Views: 7,373 • Replies: 55
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:06 pm
when i was younger i went to the movies all the time by myself, i was in my early 20's and one of my days off during the week was wednesday, so i'd quite often catch an afternoon movie

i'd still do it, but i hate going to movie theaters now, most other people don't realize that they aren't at home and shouldn't talk to their friends, either in person or on the phone
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:09 pm
I used to go alone andwould do it still, should the notion hit me. I never thought of the movies as a place to meet people.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:13 pm
That's the problem with a lot of people.

They're too afraid to go do something they want because they aren't with someone else.l

Other people don't even pay attention, and if they do, so what?

I prefer to do most activities solo, because then I can do exactly what I want.
I don't need to be with someone else to have a good time.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:19 pm
@mm25075,
If I go to a movie, it is by myself. I don't go to meet people. The times I do go, I don't meet anyone socially.
aidan

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:34 pm
@TTH,
I often go to the movies by myself because I take my daughter and her friend to see something like, 'He's Really Not that Into You' while I want to watch something like 'Doubt'.

I like to sit in the back - so I usually just slip in, watch the movie and slip out. Once I not only went by myself, but I was the only person in the whole theatre.
So no - I don't think it'd be a good place to meet a guy (or anyone else).
djjd62

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:38 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
Once I not only went by myself, but I was the only person in the whole theatre.

i've had that happen too, it's awesome, like having the worlds largest flatscreen tv

aidan

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 12:47 pm
@djjd62,
Yeah - and it was for that movie about those people who got left behind scuba diving ...'Out at Sea' or something like that. Anyway - it was the this vast expanse of blue green ocean.
I enjoyed it.
I actually like going all by myself, because then you can feel that you're really being transported to whatever world it is in the movie - and you don't have to return to this one to pay attention to anyone else- until the movie's over.
djjd62

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 01:01 pm
@aidan,
mine was a crap 80's stoner teen film with a sci-fi theme, but hey, i like crap films

http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/amg/videos/drv100/v176/v17612ostce.jpg
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 01:53 pm
You all have given me some good fodder for my discussion with my mother. Very Happy You see, she thinks I will wither up and die unless I get out of my house an socialize but the only things she really tells me I can do is 'go to the movies' . She can't think of anything else.

I can be social at times, but seeing as how I was in a relationship for 12 years with an unhealthy for me spouse, I'm really enjoying my alone time now that he is out. (it has only been a few months, divorce should be final in another 2-3)

Right now the thought of 'dating' is out. I want to go and meet people and make friends and enjoy doing things together but not have the pressure of seeing anyone in particular and I knew the movies was not the place to do that. Thanks for confirming!

From here I have to ask..where do single people go just to socialize? I am not a drinking type and I hate hate hate the kind of guys who think bars are a good place to find a woman. been there...done that.
Roberta

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 02:16 pm
@mm25075,
mm25075 wrote:

From here I have to ask..where do single people go just to socialize? I am not a drinking type and I hate hate hate the kind of guys who think bars are a good place to find a woman. been there...done that.

Join a Y and take classes. Or take a fun class anywhere. I'm not talking about a class where you sit and listen. I'm talking about a class where you do something, like paint, draw, make something.
Join a gym. Do volunteer work.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 02:17 pm
@mm25075,
outdoor concerts are fun. blues or jazz gets some interesting followers...
ebrown p

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 02:28 pm
I am a bit curious about why pedophiles are mentioned in the title of a thread that has nothing to do with pedophiles.
mm25075

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 02:42 pm
@ebrown p,
LOL - because I could just see the thread turning into a statement how pedophiles go to the movies to see objects of their affection.

I'm looking for a friend to hang with..not a pedo Smile
mm25075

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 02:46 pm
@Roberta,
good advice. We don't have any Y's in my area but I'll check into something like it.

Volunteer work...hmmm.
mm25075

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 02:47 pm
@Rockhead,
It's a bit hot for outdoor concerts right now, but that is a good idea. Thanks Rockhead. I'll look ahead to Oct and see if there are any events like that around here.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 02:47 pm
@mm25075,
That is something for a single man to consider, you know. This is the kind of thing where an accusation has elements of a conviction.
mm25075

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 02:50 pm
@roger,
Heh no offense to any men out there, certainly did not mean that ANY man who would go to the movies by himself is a pedophile. <tries to remove foot from mouth>
Wilso

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 02:53 pm
I'm more likely to go to the movies by myself now that I'm married! Can't imagine doing it for the purpose of meeting people though.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 03:01 pm
@mm25075,
Didn't take it that way at all. I only say that sometimes it's better to avoid the perception, regardless of reality.