Quick answers to US politics queries for those of us not in the know.

roger

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 07:42 pm
@Amigo,
Amigo is about half right, but doesn't always speak simply. That's why they won't let him have an avatar.

Amigo

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 08:01 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Amigo is about half right, but doesn't always speak simply. That's why they won't let him have an avatar.

I don't know what email account I made this A2K thing with. It's long gone.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:11 am
@Amigo,
Amigo wrote:
Glen Beck is Mormon.

You misspelled moron, home slice . . .
Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:14 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
Amigo is about half right, but doesn't always speak simply.

What difference does it make? MsOlga has run out of questions because we already answered them all. That means there will be no answers, true or false.
Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:15 am
@Setanta,
Couldn't Beck be both?
msolga

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:17 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
MsOlga has run out of questions because we already answered them all.

Not true at all , Thomas.

Questions come up as new issues appear.

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 02:01 am
Jeez, amigo, same thing happened to me, sort of--when the current model a2k came in, I couldn't remember what my email account three IP-mergers-swallowups back was, so theyt wouldn't let me use my a2k username--they said someone else was already using it, AND THE SOMEONE ELSE WAS ME, DAMMIT, but would they listen? noooo. so i had to revert to abuzz names, and it still kinda rankles.
msolga

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 03:17 pm
@MontereyJack,
I'm curious, Monterey Jack. What was your previous, real A2K username? (If you don't mind saying.)
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 03:20 pm
my username was username.
djjd62

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 03:21 pm
@Thomas,
he is
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 03:30 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
my username was username.

Ah! Now I know who I'm talking to!

(Sounds like someone from a Kurt Vonnegut novel! Very Happy )
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 07:20 pm
Some debt ceiling questions:

Is there a precedent to the situation that the US finds itself in at the moment?

If so, what were the circumstances & how were they resolved?

Is it unusual for US governments to raise the debt ceiling?

If not, how often has the debt ceiling been raised in past recent history? And in what sorts of circumstances?

(I didn't want to interrupt the flow of RJB's thread by asking these questions there. Nor is this the thread for debating the current impasse, OK?
But I'd be very interested know more about the background to this issue, if anyone would care to supply the information. Thanks in advance.)

Thomas

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 08:57 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
Is there a precedent to the situation that the US finds itself in at the moment?

Not really. Off the top of my head, the closest thing to a precedent was the Iranian hostage crisis of 1979---with Carter in the role of Obama, the hostage-taking Mullahs in the role of the Tea Party, and the hostages in the role of the American people. Of course, that's more of an analogy than a precedent.

msolga wrote:
Is it unusual for US governments to raise the debt ceiling?

No, so far Congress has always treated it as a formality. At most, members of the opposition have often voted "no" as a means of political posturing, Senator Obama having been one of them in 2006. But that's it. Congress has never failed to raise the debt ceiling once it had approved the budget.

msolga wrote:
If not, how often has the debt ceiling been raised in past recent history? And in what sorts of circumstances?

Dozens of times. CNN, in the first Google hit for the search phrase "how often has the debt ceiling been raised?", counts 74 times starting in 1962. That sounds about right to me.
msolga

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 09:05 pm
@Thomas,
Thank you very much, Thomas.

Quote:
74 times starting in 1962.

That many times!
And here was I, thinking this was some sort of unique situation!

Quote:
Congress has never failed to raise the debt ceiling once it had approved the budget.

I will say no more. Wink
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2011 08:29 am
@msolga,
This article will give you a good background to past battles over raising the debt ceiling.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fights-over-debt-limit-have-long-history-2011-07-28
High Seas

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2011 08:37 am
@Thomas,
This is disgraceful - not only do you persist in vast ignorance, you're also misleading innocent foreigners who have no way of knowing we defaulted twice in the 20th century, in 1934 (see Perry v. United States) and in 1979 as well. This August 2nd "deadline" is imaginary - our debt/GDP ratio is over 100% NOW:
http://able2know.org/topic/173915-48#post-4683274
Anybody interested should read the entire relevant thread - if you had, you wouldn't be making such absurd factual errors. Pls stick to particle physics Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2011 03:36 am
@Butrflynet,
Thanks, Butrflynet & High Seas.
0 Replies