Quick answers to US politics queries for those of us not in the know.

msolga

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 04:52 pm
@High Seas,
Thanks, High Seas, but I don't put anyone on ignore. (Otherwise I might miss something! Wink )

My comment wasn't aimed specifically at JTT. I actually find some of his/her posts quite informative & interesting.

Thanks for the extra information on the Tea Party. I"m feeling pretty well informed now! Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 04:54 pm
@JTT,
We cross-posted, JTT.

As I said in my last post, my comment wasn't aimed only at you. It's been quite a while since this thread was last used, it was more a reminder that it's not a debating thread than anything else.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 04:58 pm
@High Seas,
I like the fact that they're targeting incumbents of both parties.

Get the bums out or burn the place down and start over.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 05:34 pm
@msolga,
By the way, this is one of those instances where Wikipedia is wrong, IMO. My own observation (which may or may not be correct) is that the Tea Party movement was first derisively referred to as "teabaggers" by bloggers who knew full well what "teabagging" meant and thought it was hilarious that Tea Party people didn't, and accepted that label willingly.

It then gained wider usage, some ironic (knowing the original meaning) and some not.
Setanta

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 05:37 pm
@sozobe,
Yeah, that was my impression, too. Mind you, i had never heard of teabagging in the scurrilous sense, and likely wouldn't have had it not been for these yokels.
sozobe

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 05:42 pm
@Setanta,
I believe I have Slappy to thank for my knowledge of this particular term. One thing he's great for -- keeping you up to date on slang for unspeakable sexual acts. (Where the heck has he been anyway?)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 05:43 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
By the way, this is one of those instances where Wikipedia is wrong, IMO. My own observation (which may or may not be correct) is that the Tea Party movement was first derisively referred to as "teabaggers" by bloggers who knew full well what "teabagging" meant and thought it was hilarious that Tea Party people didn't, and accepted that label willingly.

It then gained wider usage, some ironic (knowing the original meaning) and some not.

Interesting, soz.

To tell the truth I didn't know what "tea bagging" was until reading that Wikipedia entry. ( I've lived such a sheltered life! Wink ) So now I've accidentally gained insight into what both terms mean. Killed two birds with one stone! Razz
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 10:56 am
@sozobe,
It's not only that the Wikipedia entry on the Tea Party crowd is wrong, it's also that the poster who linked it knew full well it was wrong and went ahead anyway - though I wouldn't speculate as to the motives involved.
High Seas

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 11:05 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Yeah, that was my impression, too. Mind you, i had never heard of teabagging in the scurrilous sense, and likely wouldn't have had it not been for these yokels.

If by yokels you mean leftist bloggers, what you say is very true - I only learned that usage thanks to them also. I looked it up in the Urban Dictionary
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=%25s
an invaluable reference source, btw, Ms Olga, which confirmed it.
msolga

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 03:23 pm
@High Seas,
Surprised
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 04:14 pm
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Q5GZe2kqdmg/S1kWE4r6ORI/AAAAAAAACho/AHTLYG8Glic/s400/Teabaggging+for+Jesus.png

Quote:
The first big day for this movement was Tax Day, April 15. And organizers had a gimmick. They asked people to send a tea bag to the Oval Office. One of the exhortations was “Tea Bag the Fools in D.C.” A protester was spotted with a sign saying, “Tea Bag the Liberal Dems Before They Tea Bag You.” So, conservatives started it: started with this terminology. But others ran with it and ran with it.

http://nrd.nationalreview.com/article/?q=Mjk1YmRjNzIxNmUwMTI0ZWYxZWU4OWU2MzFiOWJmNDE

A funny aside, in this day of terrorism fears, they realized that sending powdery substances through the US mail to government officials was not a very smart idea. They changed this to sending just the tags.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 04:29 pm
@High Seas,
You're snotty as hell, as usual. By yokels, i meant the knee-jerk conservative hate mongers who are the rank and file of the "Tea Party."
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 10:23 am
@High Seas,
Quote:
If by yokels you mean leftist bloggers, what you say is very true -

You don't have the foggiest notion of the meaning of true, High Seas.

Quote:
I only learned that usage thanks to them also. I looked it up in the Urban Dictionary

It's exceedingly odd that someone in your line of work wouldn't be familiar with 'that usage'. I guess you figure doing is more important than knowing.

Is that you in the picture Ebrown posted?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 04:21 pm
I wish I had another handy question to ask.

Neutral
High Seas

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 06:35 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

I wish I had another handy question to ask.

Neutral

Now you see the wisdom of perpetually "ignoring" pests like JTT, Ms Olga - they only clutter useful threads like yours. As to others like Setanta, whom I do read, all you have to do is not bother responding to passing tantrums - eventually he will regain his wits and good humor Smile
msolga

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 06:37 pm
@High Seas,
Oh I dunno, High Seas.

"Pests" can come in all sorts of different shapes & sizes! Wink
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 06:43 pm
@msolga,
Ask me. I'm always right and I speak in a simple manner.

Glen Beck is Mormon.
msolga

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 06:49 pm
@Amigo,
Excellent, Amigo!

I am now gonna cease using this thread & PM you in person any time I want answers to my questions.

Thank you so much! Very Happy
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 07:12 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
Now you see the wisdom of perpetually ...

Now she's only sucking up.

Odd response for a person who says I'm on ignore. One more, in a long list of lies from HS.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 07:33 pm
OK, you two.
That's enough.
I think you should shake hands & make friends now. Smile Wink
0 Replies