Ha, Ha. It's Back! The A2K NFL "Pick-Um" Game!

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 09:41 pm
Way to go Cardinals! The tide has turned ... the Red Birds can win on the East Coast!
panzade

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 09:45 pm
@Ticomaya,
The bells toll for the once proud NFC East.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 09:46 pm
@Ticomaya,
It seems the Giants are having a bit of trouble playing men's teams.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 12:57 pm
I will indeed win Week #7. I am 11-1 heading into tonight's game. Clubber and Spendius are 10-2. All three of us have the Eagles.
spendius

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 02:13 pm
@realjohnboy,
Which means I might make top of the standings maybe. I'll be watching those calculations with an eagle eye Johnnie mi boyo.

Why did nobody answer my question about seriously obese chaps playing in a major sporting event. From what I saw of the packed stadium, and heard, they were there for the sake of being there. Even the Bucc's coach looked vaguely disinterested. As well he might.

Incidentally-how many bodies were in the two parties which have gathered around the teams in one role or another. That's another of Aldous Huxley's predictions confirmed finally. Mustapha Mond explains it to the rebels before sending them into exile in far away places where others of their kind have been sent in the past. There were four blokes in suits sat on the stretcher carriage taking an injured player for treatment. They looked to be in that power mad state people get into when they are dealing with matters of great importance against all the odds.

I wouldn't be surprised if beer was 7 quid a pint.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 04:37 pm
(Ragman: If you are planning on doing the schedule for Week 8 - which if you do, I would appreciate - you might want to include an additional piece of data to confuse people. I see that GB is playing Minn. Didn't they just play? Yes, and Minn won 30-27 or something).
spendius

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 06:23 pm
@realjohnboy,
Have you checked out the NFL Football Agent School advertised here? A further example of withdrawal from the industrial processes expanding and being at the same time dependent, absolutely, on the selfsame industrial processes.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 09:46 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Why did nobody answer my question about seriously obese chaps playing in a major sporting event.

Most of us saw it as just another tired attempt by you to take a swipe at American Football. You and I have discussed this very issue in the past -- probably two years or so ago -- so your feigned interest in the answer is disingenuous.

Perhaps someone else will humor you.
Ragman

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 10:37 pm
@realjohnboy,
I'm not sure I understand.you? Don't they play each other twice in close succession, No?

I'll be glad to do it again. Let me see if I can get it done by tomorrow @ 2pm ET, ok?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 05:04 am
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
Most of us saw it as just another tired attempt by you to take a swipe at American Football. You and I have discussed this very issue in the past -- probably two years or so ago -- so your feigned interest in the answer is disingenuous.

We never discussed players that fat Tico. Two of them and one official needed obesity treatment. Sport is about health. And the players being role models for the young.

It is not a feigned interest. It is genuine. It's a fascinating subject.
farmerman

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 05:27 am
@Ticomaya,
Spendi is apparently silent on Sumo Wrasslin.
spendius

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 05:44 am
@farmerman,
And for the very good reason that it is one of the stupidest sports I have ever seen.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 08:08 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
It is not a feigned interest. It is genuine. It's a fascinating subject.

Okay. Which players are you referring to? What positions did they play?
McGentrix

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 08:15 am
I would assume line men. A lot of fatties play defensive line.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 08:59 am
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
? What positions did they play?

That ought to be obvious. They certainly weren't wide receivers. They took up positions in the line centre right. When the ball was played they took one or two steps forward and then fell on the floor in an embrace with their opponent. At proper football, as you must know, one takes one's opponent clean off his feet kneeing him on the way past. And there are no Falstaff bellies.

I think one of them was No 75. He had to swing one leg round the other to go forward.

I can see what their role was in a down.

But, as sportsmen, they are role models for youth and in that respect I think your game sells itself short.

And those tights--ye Gods.
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 09:24 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Tico wrote:
What positions did they play?

That ought to be obvious. They certainly weren't wide receivers. They took up positions in the line centre right. When the ball was played they took one or two steps forward and then fell on the floor in an embrace with their opponent.

Yes, it ought to be obvious, and thus you ought to already know the answer to your question. They aren't wide receivers, and their job description does not include running up and down the field quickly. Their job is to take one or two steps forward and then then fall on the floor in an embrace with their opponent.

Quote:
At proper football, as you must know, one takes one's opponent clean off his feet kneeing him on the way past. And there are no Falstaff bellies.

By "proper football" are you referring to soccer? Soccer has different rules and objectives, as you should know by now. The distinctions are pretty obvious. This thread is about the American Football game played by the National Football League.

Quote:
I think one of them was No 75. He had to swing one leg round the other to go forward.

No. 75 for the Patriots is George Bussey, a 6'3", 305 pound rookie Tackle.
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8780/0a10f0e37cbussey0503200.jpg
The biggest guy on the Pats is probably Ron Brace, a 6'3", 330 pound defensive lineman.

No. 75 for the Bucs is Davin Joseph, a 6'3", 313 pound Guard.
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/526/davinjoseph.jpg
The biggest guy on the Bucs is probably Jeremy Trueblood, a 6'8", 320 Tackle.

spendius

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 10:09 am
@Ticomaya,
You have to admit Tico that Mr Joseph looks like an alien life form. I wouldn't like anybody to see a picture of me looking like that.

It must not have been No 75. The guy I meant was considerably fatter that the one in your picture. His presence on the pitch brings the word "football" into disrepute I think. Which, to me, is a serious flaw in the game precisely because it takes guys like that to win. The game causes his presence and thus the game brings itself into disrepute.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 10:22 am
@spendius,

#75 on the pates is "skinny vinny" vince wilfork, listed at 325 lbs...
spendius

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 10:35 am
@Region Philbis,
What about Ron Brace at 330 pounds and only six-three. Which is 23 stone odd. That's seriously obese. Getting up off the sofa is a puffing and panting job at that weight.

I know a guy who is six-four and barely 11 stone.
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 11:53 am
In Week #7, Johnboy went 12-1, missing only in the Arizona-Jets game.
Spendius and Clubber finished 11-2 with the former getting the Carolina-Buffalo and Arizona games wrong while the latter was tripped up by Atlanta-Dallas and Chicago-Cincy.
Mysterman, George, Liontamerx, Cowdoc, Ragman, Maporsche and Tico did well, ending at 10-3.
Jespah, Region, Panzade, Fbaezer, JPB, Rhyss, Osso, ElStud and McGentrix managed to go 9-4.
The best Alex, Edgar, Imur, Wandeljw, JPinMilw, Fox and EhBeth could do was 8-5.
Miz Cowdoc? Well, 7-6.
The best ESPN guy was 11-2 and the worst was 8-5.
As a group we finished at 248-103 which works out to a success rate of .707 which is not our best but not our worst either.
Standings in a minute!
0 Replies