Ha, Ha. It's Back! The A2K NFL "Pick-Um" Game!

spendius

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 06:13 am
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
Did you get snow, spendi? County Kent and Cambridge I saw mentioned.

Just a light sprinkle here in the northern regions necessitating a change of shoes for the journey to the pub.

I'm meditating as I watch your national game on that blank piece of paper on which the terms of reference were first outlined. Our football evolved and apart from considerations relating to symbolising exogamy carried over from primitive games it started with the Eton wall game in which there are no rules and thus no potential for bums on seats as the scoring of goals is very rare due to the ball being stuck in the mud under a heap of writhing, fighting bodies which usually emerge with little skin on those parts where bones are close to the epidermis.

The creation of "spectacular effects" such as the Cowboys first TD is the sort of thing which thrills materialist onlookers who win money on it. And obviously those who lose money on it are not best pleased. Thrills derived from other motives are essentially religious and thus have no place in science classes as the anti-IDers on the evolution threads will tell you.

farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 06:49 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Thrills derived from other motives are essentially religious and thus have no place in science classes as the anti-IDers on the evolution threads will tell you
You can always count on spendi to overthink things. Isnt he precious?
spendius

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:46 am
@farmerman,
Oh-- I was in a very low gear there fm. I can really wind it up on the religious content and meaning in team games. And I wasn't the first to mention the connection. And I won't be the last.

Your preference for evolution theory over male sporting prowess theory is simply due to the former being easy to understand and the latter being extremely otherwise. You, having to accept all the liberal agenda to keep the coalition intact, are unable to disapprove of ladies playing these games rather than observing and showing enthusiasm for the heroes which is right and proper under the strict exigencies of evolution theory as can be seen from the antics of the gorgeous cheer-leaders who even use artificial "vestements" to exaggerate the effect when there's a "score" as a sort of happy anticipation.

farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:54 am
@spendius,
Your avoiding the point. DALLAS WON-didnt I tell ya?
spendius

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 09:20 am
@farmerman,
No you didn't. You sat on the fence and waited for the result and started shaking your antlers after it came through.

Quote the post where you said unequivocally that the Cowboys would win as I and all the rest of us had done in picking the Saints.

It's just the same with your evolution stance. Talking about the past and fearing to talk about the future. Standing on certainties.

I invited you to make your picks and you slipped out of the back door in your carpet slippers hoping nobody would notice and muttering about the Cowboys not being out of it.

If you want to see some real bare-knuckle nerve-jangling tune into Sky Sports 2 for the last half hour of the Test Match.
farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 09:40 am
@spendius,
poor sport eh?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 09:51 am
Ah, phooey, re Dallas-NO..
CowDoc

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 10:19 am
@ossobuco,
....a true bitin' sow, as we say out here. :-(
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 10:34 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
poor sport eh?

That won't wash on this thread fm. We don't do silly assertions of that nature. Show us the post where you predicted the Cowboys would win. I can show you 26 posts where a Saints win was predicted.

If I remember correctly you made some ambiguous remarks concerning the Saints and the Colts. You theorised about saving players from injuries, which we all know about anyway, to keep them fit for the play-offs for teams who had already qualified. That's not a prediction. It's fannying around waiting for the result.

* What a cricket match that was.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 10:39 am
St Louis has saved itself for the end of season run all year long.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 11:33 am
Hi to everyone. So the Saints lost, I see. None of us predicted that but some of us expressed being wary about that game.
We are unanimous in giving the nod to Arizona over Detroit. Miz Cowdoc alone has St Louis over Houston and only Fbaezer and Lmur think Buffalo will beat New England. I am listing the Atlanta vs NY Jets game a tossup (14-12 split).
Panzade and Johnboy agree on all the games and along with Region agree with the majority on all of the games. There are a bunch of us who disagree with the majority on four games.
Amongst the leaders there is enough difference of opinion to possibly cause the standings to be altered.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 03:07 pm
the fish are takin' the titans to overtime...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 03:32 pm
The early games are done with. Two games (Chicago @ Baltimore and San Francisco @ Philadelphia) had start times changed to 4 pm due to the weather incident on the east coast.
Through the games played thus far Jespah, George and McGentrix have only 1 miscue each. Maporsche, Osso, JPinMilw, Tico, Region and Alex have 2.
Several folks have 4.
Spendius is down 2 to Mcgentrix and 1 to Maporsche. Clubber, Panzade and Johnboy aren't gaining any ground.
spendius

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 03:45 pm
@realjohnboy,
I enjoyed the Titans game. A few butterfingers notwithstanding.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 06:27 pm
wow.

Oakland beats Denver and Tampa blows out Seattle.

whodathunkit.

and the AFC wild card race is gonna get crazy...
JPB

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 06:31 pm
and the Bears simply suck.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 06:37 pm
I'm gasping for breath. It's so exciting somebody must be organising it. Real life is boring innit?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:07 pm
The Green Bay - Pittsburgh game was amazing. Two fine QB's.
A bunch of folks are 10-4 including George, Jespah and some of the contenders for the title: McGentrix, Maporsche and Clubber. Spendius is 9-5.
Several players are at 7-7.
We all have Minnesota tonight, except for Jespah and Lmur.
We are split 17-9 in the game Monday between the Giants and the Redskins.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:13 pm
@Rockhead,
Oakland was selected by Clubber and Lmur.
Ragman, Mysteryman, George and Edgar picked Tampa Bay.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 09:21 am
One game left.
Jespah is 11-4 and has NY tonight (Final score: 17-10). A NY win gives the week to her at 12-4.
At 10-5 and having Washington are McGentrix (17-9). Maporsche (20-17) and George (20-14). A Washington win sets up a -4-way tie.