How do I overcome the loss of my Mom when I was already in a depression?

socal2010

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 10:07 am
@JPB,
"Perhaps you could tell us more about your step-dad's health situation."

He's in his 90's. He was much older than she was. He's got a few major illnesses but everything is stable. He mainly needs help with his medication and of course cooking his meals. Other than that he pretty much takes care of his personal needs although he does need help with picking clothes and shaving. I understand what the two of you are saying about how I'm not my Mom and I should think about getting care for him. I just don't see how it's possible. I couldn't just leave him alone with someone I don't know. I have a hard time even leaving him with family. People take advantage of older people all the time. He's mostly aware of things but he sometimes does have memory loss. I'm worried that he'll give up now that she's gone. That happens all the time.

And hamburgboy, I know what you mean. Everyone has to do what's right for themselves. Right now I just feel so lost but maybe in a while I will think clearer. I've just never felt so alone before. I literally have a hole in my heart. I wake up like that. Even today I woke up from a dream where I looked inside my stomach and found a long hole, like a well of emptiness. God I really hate mornings. My friend who "yells" is actually a dear friend but she's just too aggressive in how she's trying to give me advice. She says she can't just sit and listen because she thinks I'm going down a bad path and she's trying to help me feel better. I'm glad you have found some ways you are coping but I'm sure it's still so hard.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 12:23 pm
When you promised your mother you would take care of this man, you did not have to promise that YOU would do it, just that it get done by a competent person. Again - GET SOME HELP even if it's just in the mornings.

Stop this thinking that you and you alone are the best caretaker for him.

Taking care of an elderly person can be depressing in itself. You need to see if this has anything to do with your overall depression.

Griefnet.org is a chat room for grieving persons - for anyone who has lost a loved one.

0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 01:09 pm
socal2010
I am so sorry for your loss and I can in a way relate to the way you are feeling.

When my dad died, I felt so alone. I didn't want to do anything or even go anywhere. Talking to people was the last thing I wanted to do. So, I started a thread about my dad on this site and for some reason that helped me. I didn't even care if anyone read it.

Everyone has to find their own way of dealing with the death of a loved one and I hope you find some comfort in writing about it. You have been given good advice from the members of this site. All I can add is to take it one day at a time and eventually life will get better.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 03:01 pm
Probably more for the religious minded.

To socal2010, I'm so sorry for your loss, I too lost my Dad 1 Jan this year.
0 Replies

NoExpertsNeeded

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 03:53 pm
By your comment, do you automatically relate 'the meaning of life' with religion? ...just curious...

Since there is no "preaching" involved in the book, I have received good reviews from many folks of varied belief systems. Based on the response, the book has a high appeal to open-minded thinkers who are also on a spiritual (not religious) path.

There's room for us all...
JPB

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 04:01 pm
@NoExpertsNeeded,
I'm going to go out on a big limb here and request that we keep the discussion on this thread to socal's situation and questions.

I'm not trying to derail discussion, but I simply ask that this sidebar be taken to a thread of it's own.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 06:05 pm
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound quite so abrupt in my last post, about you not being your mother. I am agreeing with Sully that all care of your stepfather doesn't have to be by you, even if your mother didn't want him to have help by others. It is true that elderly people can be preyed upon by scoundrels, but there are also some wonderful people in this world that could help fill in for you on some of his care.

I'm thinking right now of an old neighbor of mine, old in that she's not a neighbor any more. She was in her sixties and did some home health care part time. She was a good and kind person, and it's impossible for me to imagine her abusing trust re the people she cared for.
0 Replies

socal2010

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 11:14 am
This morning was a really bad morning for me. I kept waking up with the biggest and strongest hole in my heart. It goes through my heart to my stomach and in my throat. I feel so completely empty. It's a physical pain not just in my head. I was laying there thinking if I have to live like this for the rest of my life I don't know what I'll do. It's getting to be a more severe pain than before. I have heart palpitations when I sleep.

I was supposed to go to the grief counseling session today but the pastor's secretary called to cancel. The pastor isn't feeling well. As far as my stepdad, I've pretty much decided that I will stay here. I will see what happens in 6 months and re-evaluate. He's not well himself so I'd rather give him some stability in case something happens to him. They say for older people when they lose a spouse they give up as well. I'm hoping that doesn't happen to him.

Right now I'm stuck in the "should of" way of thinking. I'm regreting everything I've done in my life and wishing I made different choices. I just feel so lost without her. We were probably too close. I remember her telling me she never wanted to get too close because it was so hard on her when her own mother died. We got close anyway though. It was just the two of us after my parents divorced.

I do much better at night. I can handle things better and keep perspective much more. I think in the morning my raw emotions are there since the unconscious mind is allowed to wander free when we sleep. It's overwhelming to wake up like that. I think the shock is wearing off and the reality is setting in. I hope this doesn't get any worse because I can't handle it if it does.

People have stopped calling as much and there's so much silence. I did write a letter to my Mom as suggested and that did help. I just did it now and I feel a little better. I was crying and telling her how much I'll miss her.
JPB

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 12:18 pm
@socal2010,
I can imagine that waking up in the morning and realizing anew that she is really gone -- that it wasn't a bad dream -- is very difficult.

I know you're stuck in everything you haven't done right in your life but how 'bout you push yourself to write out a list of good choices you've made. We can all look at choices not made and wonder, "what if...", but that really doesn't help much. We can only imagine the reality of what that choice might have provided, we can never really know how it would have turned out. Look at the good things you've done in your life. Start your list with "taking care of step-dad since Mom died". I'm sure there's more out there that you can come up with.

I'm sorry your appointment was canceled. Hopefully you'll get to talk to him soon. Do you attend services at that church? Even if you aren't overly religious it's sometimes helpful to sit in a service and let yourself escape for a bit.
socal2010

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 12:32 pm
@JPB,
No I don't attend the church. It's just local and it's the religion I was baptized so I figured I'd go there first. There's another place that has a grief group starting next week. I might go there although that church is a born-again church and I don't consider myself that. Maybe the fact that the meeting was canceled is a sign that it won't help me.

I've done a few good things in my life, like graduating college and so on. I haven't been in jail or done drugs, etc. I probably sound like I've raised hell my whole life and that's not the case. I'm a quiet person who doesn't really make waves. But I guess it's the things I haven't done that are bothering me. I always wanted to make a lot of money so I could buy her a beach house or take care of her. I wanted to do more for her than I did and now I guess I'm depressed thinking it will never happen. I was always a dreamer so I always thought eventually I could do more for her.

I've been told I'm a devoted daughter and she felt I was too. Maybe I'm being too hard on myself but I just have this awful feeling of regret and wishing I could turn back time. I don't think I felt this way when my Dad died, or at least not as much. But then again my Dad was a happy person who had fun in his life, especially the last years. My Mom didn't.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 01:57 pm
Socal - please visit your Dr. and tell him about these physical AND mental AND emotional feelings you have. You don't have to live like this. Why should you?

You said your mother was not a happy person, Was she depressed? the fact that you weren't feeling all that good about yourself BEFORE your mother's death tells me that her death has exaggeraated some feelings that were there before.

Please take care of yourself and get a complete physical and discuss this with your Dr. (or call your mother's Dr. if you don't have one.)

KiwiChic

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 02:58 pm
@sullyfish6,
I agree with Sully do go and seek advice from your Doctor, even if you just go for a chat and he/she is more able to advise you more than we can.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 07:55 pm
@socal2010,

Permit me to offer this for your consideration:
when events happen in the world, we can choose whether to feel
an emotion in response thereto, and if so, we are free to select which emotion to feel.

Does it help your mother to experience emotional pain?
Do u believe that your mother woud like u to live in pain?

If your mother lived longer than u did,
woud u want your mother to live in pain?

If u choose to experience emotional pain,
does that help u ?

I respectfully suggest that u select a better emotion.

Some time ago, I was in Chinatown in NYC.
Some Chinamen were making music in the street,
celebrating a funeral. Thay believe that the decedent
went to a better place and thay rejoice in his good fortune.

`
0 Replies

socal2010

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 11:15 pm
It's only been 11 days. Are these painful feelings not "normal" or something? Who here has lost a parent unexpectedly? Didn't you feel an onslaught of sadness? I'm just asking because I'm getting the feeling you're all thinking my grief is greater than what should be expected.

As far as not feeling that great before my Mom's passing, I explained I haven't been in a good frame of mind for several years mainly because of my lack of work and career setbacks due to the ecomony. I've had money problems and that always stressed me, plus I gained weight so wasn't as healthy. I didn't feel as good as I normally do when those aspects of my life are working.

I went to a doctor not that long ago and got blood work done. I was low in iron so took iron pills for a while. As far as I know nothing is wrong with my health, but right now doctors are not on my list of favorite people since they failed my Mom so much. She did much worse after seeing doctors and her condition wasn't detected when it should have been a year ago.

I definitely don't want to feel in pain. I wouldn't choose this. The way I thought was healthiest is to let myself feel whatever I feel and express it. I thought that would be "dealing" with the grief and not being in denial about it. If I feel pain when I wake up, I let myself feel it, I cry, I post, I do whatever I need to do to get it out. Maybe that's the wrong approach, I don't know.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 11:20 pm
@socal2010,
"Maybe that's the wrong approach, I don't know."

nobody knows, and you are the one who is living through it.

no need to feel judged here, a lot of diverse opinions pop in on this forum, but we mostly want to help.

glad to see you feel comfortable talking it out. sometimes just verbalizing is enough to pass some of it.

may tomorrow be a little brighter.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 12:05 am
@socal2010,
socal - I read your post when you first posted it and I didn't respond because I empathized so much with your sadness at losing your mother that I didn't know if I could say anything productive about it to help you.

I haven't yet lost my mother or my father - with both of whom I have a very close and loving relationship - they literally are two of my favorite people in the world, having always made me feel safe, loved, admiring of who they are and happy to have been born into their family- so when I read how you feel the same toward the person your mother was to you, I related.
I know I won't have them very much longer and am cognizant that that's just how life works, and even though I know that logically, emotionally, I can't seem to come up with any sort of picture of how I'll just go on with my life when they're gone. But I know I will have to.

Quote:
Didn't you feel an onslaught of sadness? I'm just asking because I'm getting the feeling you're all thinking my grief is greater than what should be expected.

The only person in my family to die unexpectedly was my brother. And I can tell you that for years afterward, I was overcome with sadness at the most unexpected times when I'd hear a song or see a picture that reminded me of him. My son was two years old when he died, so I wasn't able to sink into the grief - I had something and someone to distract me - but if I hadn't had him, I can imagine it would have been much more difficult to turn away from it to focus on other things.

But what I saw my mother do and how I watched her cope with his death was something that I think might help you. My mother was born to be a mother and my brother was her youngest child and the only one who had learning difficulties to the point that he couldn't function normally in the world. He was always very special to her. He committed suicide. It devastated all of us - it was only the second time I saw my father cry, and we were all inconsolable - but it was my mom I most worried about. Because I think she felt that she should have been able to have prevented it or kept him from that. Anyway, I didn't think my mother would ever recover or be the same. I literally despaired of ever having my mother back as she had once been.

But instead of disappearing into her grief, she threw herself into volunteering for a suicide hotline. She worked thousands of hours a year for this organization (Contact -We Care) to the point that she was cited and singled out for recognition. She worked for them for years until my father would no longer allow her to drive into Newark and spend the night in their offices answering the phones. I sincerely believe that that productive effort (her sense of doing something to help others who may be faced with what my brother was feeling or what our family had to go through in the aftermath of his death) brought her out of her grief, helped her pull through and back to all of us and the rest of the world.
And the world needs people like her. Now, since she doesn't drive, she mans her phone from home to work for an organization that takes calls from destitute people needing emergency food and/or clothing (FISH).

I don't think eleven days or even eleven years is too long to grieve for someone you loved. But I also think David is right to an extent. Sometimes you DO have to just get up and say, 'I am so sad - but today I am going to accomplish so and so....' just one outside thing that means something to you and will help you build new memories and create different ways to place your energy and other things to think about. And slowly, you may feel yourself begin to heal.

I wish you the best.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 12:14 am
@socal2010,
socal2010 wrote:
Quote:
It's only been 11 days.
Are these painful feelings not "normal" or something?

It probably IS within the norm.

I believe that if u choose a different emotion,
e.g. joy or appreciation of beauty, u will be happier than the norm.

Maybe fill your mind with GOOD things ?
Turn your attention to things that make u happy ?

Make a list of the happiest moments in your life.

Make a list of the most beautiful events or objects in your life.

Think of JOY and FUN !

Imagine yourself winning a huge lottery and spending the cash.

How woud u spend it ?

What 'd bring u the most intense happiness ?

David

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 12:30 am

Upon the basis of what we 've been told by survivors of death,
I believe that it is an error to confuse our human bodies with our lives.

Does a caterpillar really perish, when he abandons his cocoon
and flies away as a butterfly ?

People who have been brought back from death,
in hospitals, have been angry, objecting to their having been disturbed.
Some people have described re-entering their human bodies
as resembling returning to prison.

When a human being molts his or her body
that shoud not be confused with death.

www.IANDS.org

`
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 02:00 am
@socal2010,
socal2010 wrote:
It's only been 11 days. Are these painful feelings not "normal" or something? Who here has lost a parent unexpectedly? Didn't you feel an onslaught of sadness? I'm just asking because I'm getting the feeling you're all thinking my grief is greater than what should be expected.
I think what you are feeling is perfectly normal. The pain I felt when my dad died was so deep that I didn't even want to be around my family. Everyday was a struggle for me and it didn't matter what people told me to try, I didn't want to do any of it.
socal2010 wrote:
I definitely don't want to feel in pain. I wouldn't choose this. The way I thought was healthiest is to let myself feel whatever I feel and express it. I thought that would be "dealing" with the grief and not being in denial about it. If I feel pain when I wake up, I let myself feel it, I cry, I post, I do whatever I need to do to get it out. Maybe that's the wrong approach, I don't know.
I don't think there is a "wrong" or "right" approach in how you deal with a loved one's death. There is nothing wrong with feeling that pain. If crying and posting makes things a little easier for you then keep doing it. It may take a long time until you go a day without crying. You may always hurt, but in time things will get better. Just take it slow and do what you can to get through each day.
0 Replies

socal2010

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 10:47 am
Thanks everyone.

Aidan I'm sorry to hear about your brother. It's ironic because my Mom and I used to do work for FISH at Christmas time. My Mom would handwrite Christmas cards for people so that when they got their free meal they would also get a personalized card.

I'm going to start asking my Mom for help. I asked her last night if she could make this morning a little easier for me. And it was. I'm still sad and still woke up with an empty feeling, but it wasn't as intense as yesterday morning.

We all have to get used to living without our parents at some point. I'm glad I appreciated her when I had her. I told her a million times how much I appreciated her and how much I loved her. I used to call her and sometimes just feel so lucky I got to hear her voice, especially after my Dad died because it made me more aware of the finality of death.

I think I'm still in shock from what happened. I probably am just slowly absorbing it. I don't feel close to anyone in my family so as they all go on with their lives as if nothing happened, part of me is resentful. They didn't give a crap about her. They are phony and just play a role. I just have to accept that I'll feel bad for a while about a lot of things.

David I can understand what you're saying about choosing to feel joy over sadness. There's a lot I could feel good about since me and my Mom couldn't have been closer. She knew how much I loved her and she knew how loved I felt. I'm very lucky to have had that relationship. I'm just overwhelmed at the thought of losing her so suddenly. I also have always been protective about her, so part of my pain is probably related to that. I wanted the best for her and I wanted her to be 100% happy. Our roles were probably reversed when I was a kid because of the divorce, so maybe I still have an unhealthy sense of responsiblity for her welfare. I don't know.

I have to try and take care of myself. There's no one else on Earth who cares about me like she did. My family care but they have their own lives and are somewhat selfish in that way. They only saw her maybe 2 or 3 times a year even though one of them lived only 15 minutes away. They don't understand the loss I feel because they don't feel it. No one was as close to her as I was. I'm in this all alone and I have only myself to rely on from now on. Maybe this will be a character building part of my life, I don't know.