Paging all fellow junkies of True Blood

rosborne979

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 08:15 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Thomas wrote:

rosborne979 wrote:
Maybe the show is being inconsistent in the logic of the vampire superpowers

Perhaps. The logic of vampire blood is less than perfect as well. It heals Sookie, but doesn't make her horny or hallucinating.

perhaps because she's getting it straight from the tap......

So maybe it "ferments" a bit when you put it in a bottle, and that adds to its hallucinogenic properties? Seems like a stretch, but with Vampires, Werewolves, shapeshifters and immortal Maanads I'm willing to buy it.
Thomas

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 08:39 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
perhaps because she's getting it straight from the tap......

But Lafayette did get horny after Eric gave him blood straight out of the tap (Not sure about him getting high in this scene.) So it must be something about Sookie. Good try misleading us, Mr. I-read-the-book! Laughing
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 09:09 pm
It appears that after 2k+ years of Vampiredom, Godric has become an enlightened pacifist.

I thought the story took an interesting track when it was revealed that Godric chose to remain a captive not because he wasn't powerful enough to escape, but because he was so powerful that taking retribution and escaping would have been a meaningless act to him.

Is Godric the oldest vampire on the planet, or are there others still older? I wonder if they all start to feel that way.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 06:29 am
After the last episode it feels like the season is over. What's left, they just go back to Louisiana and clean up MaryAnne's mess?

(HBO has renewed True Blood for a third season, which will debut next summer)
Thomas

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 06:41 am
@rosborne979,
It was interesting, wasn't it? I don't think, though, that Godric can keep the Texas rambo vampire from seeking revenge after the Fellowship of the Sun's suicide bombing of their nest.

About your question: My sense is that in the vampire society, age brings strength, and strength brings status. So, based on Eric's statement that Godric could have been king of Texas, he's as old as other kings, but not necessarily older.

As to the enlightened, "we shall overcome approach", it seems to be a project of the vampire elite, not a grass roots movement. So, in the wake of the attack, I can see an uprising of regular vampire folk who want retribution against the vampire elite who wants peace.

Independent of all this, I'm beginning to wonder what will happen when Sookie returns home after all this and finds Mary-Anne in her house. (The script writer must have had some reason for putting Mary-Anne there, considering Mary-Anne's interest in supernaturals.)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 06:43 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
After the last episode it feels like the season is over. What's left, they just go back to Louisiana and clean up MaryAnne's mess?

That sounds like you didn't watch the last episode till the end. They have to sort out the mess from the Fellowship's suicide bombing first.

I'm glad to hear about the Third Season!
rosborne979

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 07:46 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
That sounds like you didn't watch the last episode till the end. They have to sort out the mess from the Fellowship's suicide bombing first.

I guess that will leave a bit of a mess won't it.

Speaking of messes, what are Hoyt and Jessica going to do about her perpetual virginity?

I've heard that there's a "queen" vampire, but I haven't heard about a "king". Is there a King vampire?
Thomas

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 07:59 am
@rosborne979,
There's a queen of Louisiana and a king of Texas. From that, I gather that vampire kingdoms correspond to US states. Godric's stature is sufficient to be a vampire king.
mac11

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 08:10 am
Ok, I watched the first two episodes on the weekend. (Got them from Netflix.) LOVED THEM! The next four episodes will probably arrive tomorrow and I can't wait.

I didn't read this whole thread because there appear too be way too many spoilers. Just wanted to join the fan club.

I had heard of this series, but didn't realize that it's based on the Dead Until Dark books which I read a few years ago. They were good, but the TV version is better.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 08:12 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
There's a queen of Louisiana and a king of Texas. From that, I gather that vampire kingdoms correspond to US states. Godric's stature is sufficient to be a vampire king.

I thought there was a "queen" of everything (and I assumed a "king" of everything). Maybe I got that wrong. There hasn't been much detail revealed about the larger design of vampire politics and hierarchy.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 08:13 am
@mac11,
mac11 wrote:
I had heard of this series, but didn't realize that it's based on the Dead Until Dark books which I read a few years ago. They were good, but the TV version is better.

I agree, I like the HBO version much better than the book (I read the first one).
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 04:45 pm
@mac11,
Welcome to the fan club, Mac! Aren't you glad you're not a waitress who can hear her patrons' thoughts?
mac11

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 07:56 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Welcome to the fan club, Mac! Aren't you glad you're not a waitress who can hear her patrons' thoughts?

I am indeed. Very glad.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 05:37 am
I understand Godric better now, and his motivation for being at the Church. I wonder if he was the oldest Vampire around.

When Bill revealed to Sookie that her inadvertent sharing of vampire blood with Eric would also cause a sexual attraction, I wondered how she would react knowing that her entire relationship with Bill might also be based on the "mysteries" of vampire blood (which she shared from Bill first). But she didn't react.

Looks like it's going to be Sam Merlot and Andy Belfleur to the rescue for Bon Temps Smile
Thomas

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 09:22 am
@rosborne979,
... and, when they come home, Sookie, Bill, and Jason. Though I have a funny feeling Jason will mess something up bad.
McGentrix

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 10:49 am
Dang. I liked the Godric character.

What si going to happen when they arrive home and find Maryann has taken over Sookie's home? That should go over well. What happens when a god and vampires fight? I'd assume the vamps will totally kick the ass of any human henchmen, but what of Maryann and her vibrations?

The dream sequence was odd. I can't figure out who was in control of the dream... Sookie, Eric or Bill's maker lady. Very odd.
Thomas

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 11:06 am
I also wonder if the spokesbitch from the American Vampire League will play a greater role in the future. Unpleasant as her character is, she could be an interesting addition to the mix.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 04:16 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
... and, when they come home, Sookie, Bill, and Jason. Though I have a funny feeling Jason will mess something up bad.

It should be quite a free-for-all. I'm just happy that Andy Belfleur will finally get some recompense for all his trouble that has come his way. Even though he's a flawed character, I get the feeling he's a good guy at heart and is often caught between the supernatural happenings and the "normal world" (which gets him in trouble).
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 04:20 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Dang. I liked the Godric character.

I did too. But I think they needed to sacrifice someone very powerful from the vampire clan in order to give the show a deeper spiritual meaning.

McGentrix wrote:
What si going to happen when they arrive home and find Maryann has taken over Sookie's home? That should go over well. What happens when a god and vampires fight? I'd assume the vamps will totally kick the ass of any human henchmen, but what of Maryann and her vibrations?

In the scenes from next week, Bill can be heard saying that he does not know how to stop her (MaryAnn).

McGentrix wrote:
The dream sequence was odd. I can't figure out who was in control of the dream... Sookie, Eric or Bill's maker lady. Very odd.

I was confused by that too. Sookie is definitely starting to feel things for Eric, but I'm not sure if it was just her dream, or if Lorena was guiding it somehow. And now that Godric is gone is his edict to "stay out of his area" still in effect for Lorena?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 04:23 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
I also wonder if the spokesbitch from the American Vampire League will play a greater role in the future. Unpleasant as her character is, she could be an interesting addition to the mix.

I hope so. I think they need to broaden the scope of the vampire society story to keep things interesting. We need more political (vampire politics) intrigue to give the story some depth, otherwise all we've got so far is petty squabbles (trying to rescue Godric when he never wanted to be rescued) and chaos/carnage from the greek goddess (and that's pretty simplistic).
0 Replies