Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 10:52 am
@Foxfyre,
Quote:

There is no constitutional authority for the U.S. to establish or operate a national healthcare system

"Provide for the general welfare." A phrase intentionally left vague. You can't believe that the authors of the Constitution were very intelligent men, who knew what they were doing, and not think that this was left vague precisely for said reason.

Quote:
and yes, if it provided services more cheaply than private enterprise can do so, courtesy of the U.S. taxpayer, that would be unfair competition.

You might believe it would be unfair to the companies; but it wouldn't be unfair to the taxpayers. And it isn't necessarily 'courtesy of the taxpayers;' it would be more cheap for the simple reason that they don't need to run a profit.

Cycloptichorn
Foxfyre

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 11:53 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

There is no constitutional authority for the U.S. to establish or operate a national healthcare system

"Provide for the general welfare." A phrase intentionally left vague. You can't believe that the authors of the Constitution were very intelligent men, who knew what they were doing, and not think that this was left vague precisely for said reason.

The Founders wrote extensively about what they meant by the 'general welfare' and the phrase was not in the least vague to them. Nor is it to anybody with an open mind who spends any time studying the history of the Constitution.

Quote:
Quote:
and yes, if it provided services more cheaply than private enterprise can do so, courtesy of the U.S. taxpayer, that would be unfair competition.

You might believe it would be unfair to the companies; but it wouldn't be unfair to the taxpayers. And it isn't necessarily 'courtesy of the taxpayers;' it would be more cheap for the simple reason that they don't need to run a profit.

It is unfair to the taxpayers any time you take away individual freedoms, choices, opportunitions, or options. It is even more unfair to the taxpayers to tax them huge amounts or accrue enormous deficits for future generations to pay in order to take away their individual freedoms, choices, opportunities, or options.

I would prefer those who want the government to be in charge of everything to move elsewhere where it has already happened and just enjoy it to their hearts' content. I do not want that form of government and I will continue to resist those who want to force it on me.
Foxfyre

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 12:08 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Also, the phrase is 'promote the general welfare', not provide for the general welfare. And I think the 'promote' was very carefully calculated too as the Founders, except in the defense of recognized protected rights of the people, saw no basis by which the Federal government would have authority to provide relief or benefit to any individual at the expense of another. In other words, the business of charity was not the prerogative of the Federal government.

As the subsequent power to confiscate property of some citizens to use to benefit others has proved to be the single most corrupting influence in our government as well as a corrupting influence on the beneficiaries, it is difficult to find any fault with the Founders' reasoning about that.

And it is all the more reason to not allow the government to continue down that path with a nationalized healthcare system.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 12:23 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
I would prefer those who want the government to be in charge of everything to move elsewhere where it has already happened and just enjoy it to their hearts' content. I do not want that form of government and I will continue to resist those who want to force it on me.

That's vague Foxy. The extremes are anarchy and totalitarianism. There's a sliding scale. "Everything" implies only those extremes.

And it depends, once you shift from the extremes, which things each party is to be in charge of.

It is well known that vast, complex and rich societies need the government to be in charge of important things and individuals to be in charge of what colour to paint the front door or which alpine plants to put next to the north facing wall.

So your resistance can go on forever or fade away as you become more aware of the facts of life.

Elections are about where to draw the line and the public responds to a felt need. And it gets more sophisticated with every election. One day, not just yet, perfection will be achieved and and we will have nothing left to argue over.

Which gives you an idea of how far off is the day when perfection is achieved.

I read once, and as a non voter it seemed plausible to me, that the massive non vote in the US mainly consists of those who think it has been achieved. They think that political argument is a "chattering class" problem. I would guess most of them are rustics of one sort or another and not yet connected to the internet. They're ready for anything.
hamburgboy

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 01:38 pm
@spendius,
spendius :

yes , i agree with you .

Quote:
It is well known that vast, complex and rich societies need the government to be in charge of important things and individuals to be in charge of what colour to paint the front door or which alpine plants to put next to the north facing wall.

i think you've hit it right on target .

i've sometimes thought of the "pricinple of common good " - but wouldn't be good at putting this principle into proper words .

luckily , it's already been done - and rather well i think .
i'll refrain from highlighting any points - just share it all with everyone .

http://www.ascensionhealth.org/ethics/public/key_principles/common_good.asp

Quote:
Principle of the Common Good

In general, the common good consists of all the conditions of society and the goods secured by those conditions, which allow individuals to achieve human and spiritual flourishing. The social teaching of the Catholic Church insists that the human community, including its government, must be actively concerned in promoting the health and welfare of every one of its members so that each member can contribute to the common good of all. This teaching is encapsulated in the principle of the common good and its corollary principle of subsidiarity. According to this understanding, the principle of the common good has three essential elements: 1) respect for persons; 2) social welfare; and 3) peace and security. All three of these elements entail the provision of health care in some way as an essential element of the common good (see Ethical and Religious Directives, Part One, Introduction).

In so far as the common good presupposes respect for persons, it obligates public authorities to respect the fundamental human rights of each person. Society should allow each of its members to fulfill his or her vocation. Insofar as it presupposes social welfare, the common good requires that the infrastructure of society is conducive to the social well being and development of its individual members. In this respect, it is the proper function of public authorities to both arbitrate between competing interests and to ensure that individual members of society have access to the basic goods that are necessary for living a truly human life, e.g., food, clothing, health care, meaningful work, education, etc. Finally, this conception of the common good requires the peace and security that accompanies a just social order. Public authority, then, should be used to ensure, by morally acceptable means, the security of society and its individual members. [See: Documents of Vatican II, Gaudium et Spes, n. 26; USCC, NCC and Synagogue Council, "The Common Good: Old Idea, New Urgency," Origins 23 (June 24, 1993): 81-6.]

i'll let it stand by itself and won't argue its points - of course , some may think there is NO common good ever .
hbg

(if i don't control myself , i will start highlighting - so i better leave now)

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 01:51 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
...Obamacare..

would you do me the favor of not calling it that? he's not the first to propose national health.

unless you want to also call medicare Johnsoncare, that is. heh, heh..
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 01:53 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

In his case DTOMs insurance refused to pay for a specific treatment. What you are saying is that insurance in Germany pays for referred treatment. What we are discussing is that his insurance refuses to pay at all.

exactly. the insurance company is standing between me and my doctor.
spendius

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 01:56 pm
@hamburgboy,
It is rhetoric though. And pretty good stuff. Whatever a Marxist might say about interpretation it does give a direction and shows that the Vatican has the right idea even if it will take some time to get there due to factors which are difficult to control. And it suggests that good people are working on the problem. Not giving up on it as atheists are bound to do if they are honest with themselves.

The Vatican has lost control before. But the resulting warring factions got so fed up of war, not war by our standards, that they asked it back to knock all their heads together.

0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 05:55 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

In his case DTOMs insurance refused to pay for a specific treatment. What you are saying is that insurance in Germany pays for referred treatment. What we are discussing is that his insurance refuses to pay at all.

No, not quite. Again, the insurance company is obligated to insure only what it agrees to insure in the insurance policy it sells you. If you want a treatment that the insurance company did not agree to insure at the time the policy was issued, the insurance company can say no, no matter how much you and your doctor think the treatment is necessary. That is no different from any other forms of insurance you take out or from any other contractual agreement. And it will certainly be no different if the government was handling it--the President has absolutely confirmed that without being the least bit vague.

However, unless it violates a contractual obligation he made, there is nothing to prevent your doctor from treating you on his own time at his or your expense and there is currently no law preventing you from seeking treatment elsewhere at your expense. Once the government takes control over the whole system, however, you might not even have that option.

Under the system that exists now, lack of insurance is not necessarily synonymous with lack of healthcare.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 06:03 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

No, not quite. Again, the insurance company is obligated to insure only what it agrees to insure in the insurance policy it sells you. If you want a treatment that the insurance company did not agree to insure at the time the policy was issued, the insurance company can say no, no matter how much you and your doctor think the treatment is necessary. That is no different from any other forms of insurance you take out or from any other contractual agreement. And it will certainly be no different if the government was handling it--the President has absolutely confirmed that without being the least bit vague.

However, unless it violates a contractual obligation he made, there is nothing to prevent your doctor from treating you on his own time at his or your expense and there is currently no law preventing you from seeking treatment elsewhere at your expense. Once the government takes control over the whole system, however, you might not even have that option.

Under the system that exists now, lack of insurance is not necessarily synonymous with lack of healthcare.

i understand what you are saying, i've had to deal with a lot of contracts myself. i avoid it these days. makes my brain hurt.

but, in the end, it still winds up being the insurance company, rather than the doctor making the decision about what i do or don't need.

see what i'm sayin' ?
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 06:24 am
@DontTreadOnMe,
Yes, I do understand what you are saying. And it can be extremely frustrating and at times unfair and at times unethical. This is why sometimes you can fight the insurance company's decision and win. But the remedy is not socialized medicine to correct that. The remedy is purchasing insurance that covers the treatment that you want and, like any other business, it might take some research to find which companies are the most ethical, reliable, people friendly.

One of the reforms I think we should be lobbying for is ability for a more a la carte insurance structure. For instance, a couple who does not intend to have children or is past child bearing age does not need maternity insurance and it would be a large savings to them to be able to eliminate that from insurance coverage. Those who want to pay their doctor's visit or routine labwork or whatever out of pocket should be able to to do that just as we pay routine repairs and maintenance on our cars and houses and computers out of pocket. Then we could purchase a much cheaper catastrophic policy to take care of major hospitalizations, surgeries, cancer treatment etc. at a far lower cost. The law should not only allow that but encourage that.

Homeowners insurance that covered plumbing repairs, peeling paint, inadequate wiring, a worn out roof, or cracked concrete on your patio would be exhorbitantly expensive--prohibitive for many. Car insurance that covered bad batteries, spark plugs, oil changes, flat tires, and window washer fluid would probably exceed the cost of our car.

And giving the government power to tell you what your relationship with your doctor must be will restrict your choices, options, freedoms, and opportunities far more than will the wording in your insurance policy while, according to the CBO, will actually cost us more. Government insurance is not the remedy for your particular problem.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 09:51 am
@Foxfyre,
I suppose that's another big cultural difference between your USA and our Europe/Germany.

When we get a health insurance, we want one that includes all and everything.

That's why people are complaining here e.g. about the dentist part (you have to pay 30% of e.g. the crowns), or e.g. that glasses aren't paid for anymore.

And that's why private insurances have some difficulties - they can't include all at a fixed price over the various age periods.

Again, since we are used to such a system since decades (actually, no-one is alive who experienced a different kind of health insurance), the problems are quite different here to yours.

But to come back to the thread's title: no-one ever thought that our medicine was fascist.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 11:16 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
One of the reforms I think we should be lobbying for is ability for a more a la carte insurance structure. For instance, a couple who does not intend to have children or is past child bearing age does not need maternity insurance and it would be a large savings to them to be able to eliminate that from insurance coverage. Those who want to pay their doctor's visit or routine labwork or whatever out of pocket should be able to to do that just as we pay routine repairs and maintenance on our cars and houses and computers out of pocket. Then we could purchase a much cheaper catastrophic policy to take care of major hospitalizations, surgeries, cancer treatment etc. at a far lower cost. The law should not only allow that but encourage that.

You clearly don't understand the way insurance works, do you.
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 11:25 am
@joefromchicago,
Well, other than hubby and/or me being in the business most of the last 50 years, no, I probably don't fully understand the way all insurance works. Since insurance companies have paid me to explain it to their attorneys in advance of legal actions, however, I think I might know a bit more than the average bear.

So what do you think I'm missing here?
hamburgboy

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 11:26 am
@Foxfyre,
foxfire wrote :

Quote:
Homeowners insurance that covered plumbing repairs, peeling paint, inadequate wiring, a worn out roof, or cracked concrete on your patio would be exhorbitantly expensive--prohibitive for many. Car insurance that covered bad batteries, spark plugs, oil changes, flat tires, and window washer fluid would probably exceed the cost of our car.

do you really see home and car insurance being at all - even remotely - similar to health insurance ?
i doubt VERY MUCH that you do , but are willing to accept your word for it .

.......................................................................................................................

i also invite you to freely comment on my post to spendius re.
THE PRINCIPLE OF COMMON GOOD .

http://able2know.org/topic/134494-14

it would be very enlightening to me to read your comments on it .
btw. i'm not looking at it from a catholic point of view - simply as a "reference point for humanity" .
while one can debate individual points of that principle , i wonder if you might think that THE COMMON GOOD might be suitable as a concept/guideline for living in an enlightened society ?

a/t the article , it is the government's RESPONSIBILITY to ensure that all citizens contribute appropriately to the common good .
simply "giving alms" to the poor would not be sufficient to the citizens to discharge their responsibility towards the COMMON GOOD (if i've understood it properly - perhaps i have not ) .

perhaps someone with a good background in modern principles of catholic living - in its broadest sense - might be willing to contribute .

take care !
hbg

Rockhead

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 11:29 am
"Since insurance companies have paid me to explain it to their attorneys"

(this explains so much, it may as well have been Kodachrome)

all this time I thought it was your christian principles steering your arguments here...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 11:40 am
@Foxfyre,
To the extent that you're talking about individual health insurance policies, such "a la carte" policies already exist -- or, at least, the policyholder isn't paying premiums for services that he or she would never get. For instance, a male policyholder's policy may still cover him for pregnancy (policy forms, after all, are approved by the state dept. of insurance and so can't be altered very easily), but his premiums would be calculated to reflect the fact that he has zero percent chance of getting pregnant. On the other hand, if you want a policy that covers only certain conditions or certain procedures, you can probably get one from a specialty or surplus lines carrier. If you can't, it's not because legislation prevents it but because no insurer wants to underwrite it. So, in the case of individual health insurance, you're complaining about a problem that doesn't really exist.

On the other hand, if you're talking about group coverage (which is what most people have through their employment), then you can't get "a la carte" coverage, but that's because the whole point of group coverage is to pool all the participants together in a large enough group so that the good risks balance the bad risks. In that context, "a la carte" coverage makes absolutely no sense. There again, it's not legislation that prevents you from getting "a la carte" group coverage, it's the fact that no group health insurer would ever issue such a policy.
hamburgboy

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 11:42 am
@Foxfyre,
foxfire wrote :

Quote:
Since insurance companies have paid me to explain it to their attorneys in advance of legal actions, however, I think I might know a bit more than the average bear.

i'm wondering how much chance an ordinary person - let alone a hard up , sick or poor person - having spenty much of their money for care , would have going up against the insurance company , their lawyers and SPECIAL ADVISERS ?
will they even have the mental/physical strength and the money for such a battle ?

i frankly have my doubts about that .

(i did work for a life insurance - also sold EHB [ extended health group insurance] - company most of my working life btw - but not in the rather small legal dept.
of course , paying for a life insurance claim is pretty simple compared to health insurance - the company does not have many reasons for not paying a claim .
but even EHB was pretty straight-forward ) .
hbg
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 11:52 am
@hamburgboy,
hamburgboy wrote:

foxfire wrote :

Quote:

do you really see home and car insurance being at all - even remotely - similar to health insurance ?
i doubt VERY MUCH that you do , but are willing to accept your word for it .

Different kinds of insurance are structured differently, but the principle of insurance is the same no matter what you are insuring. The purpose of insurance is to pay for unexpected loss or expense that you cannot easily afford to pay out of pocket.

Insurance that expects to pay fixed routine reoccuring expenses, such as an annual physical, will factor that into the premium and you really aren't buying insurance at all but simply prepaying the expense of the physical.

Otherwise the insurance company is gambling that all the unexpected claims filed will not exceed all the premiums collected so that they will realize a profit which is the only reason they would assume the risk at all. Unless they realize a reasonable profit for a reasonable percentage of the time, they cannot stay in business.

In that regard, health insurance is no different from homeowners insurance or automobile insurance and many of the same principles apply.

Quote:
i also invite you to freely comment on my post to spendius re.
THE PRINCIPLE OF COMMON GOOD .

http://able2know.org/topic/134494-14

it would be very enlightening to me to read your comments on it .
btw. i'm not looking at it from a catholic point of view - simply as a "reference point for humanity" .
while one can debate individual points of that principle , i wonder if you might think that THE COMMON GOOD might be suitable as a concept/guideline for living in an enlightened society ?

a/t the article , it is the government's RESPONSIBILITY to ensure that all citizens contribute appropriately to the common good .
simply "giving alms" to the poor would not be sufficient to the citizens to discharge their responsibility towards the COMMON GOOD (if i've understood it properly - perhaps i have not ) .

perhaps someone with a good background in modern principles of catholic living - in its broadest sense - might be willing to contribute .

take care !
hbg

I am not Catholic but I do not think that there is any universal Roman Catholic teaching that it is the government's responsibility to ensure that all citizens contribute appropriate to the common good. I think it is a Catholic teaching as well as a Protestant teaching that it is the individual's responsibility to do so as an act of voluntary charity. And it is a Catholic (and Protestant) teaching that one conducts his/her life within a social order:

Quote:
The Common Good and Community“Human beings,” Kenneth R. Himes O.F.M. said in his book Responses to 101 Questions on Catholic Social Teaching, “only truly flourish in the context of a community.” Human beings can only reach their full individual potential if they work to promote and protect the good of society as a whole. Our obligation to love our neighbor is not only an individual commitment; it requires a broader social responsibility.

“It is imperative that no one, out of indifference to the course of events or because of inertia, would indulge in a merely individualistic morality. The best way to fulfill one's obligations of justice and love is to contribute to the common good according to one's means and the needs of others, and also to promote and help public and private organizations devoted to bettering the conditions of life.”

- Gaudium et Spes: Pastoral Constitution on the Church in the Modern World
Second Vatican Council, 1965

And this reads as if it could have been written by our Founding Fathers who were far more likely to be Anglican than Roman Catholic:

Quote:
Role of Government and Subsidiarity
Government, or the state, has at its core a positive moral function. It's an instrument to promote human dignity, human rights and the common good. Its mission is to work for the benefit of all people. Therefore all people have a right and a responsibility to participate in political institutions. Government functions should be performed at the lowest level possible, as long as they can be performed adequately.

“Society as a whole, acting through public and private institutions, has the moral responsibility to enhance human dignity and protect human rights. In addition to the clear responsibility of private institutions, government has an essential responsibility in this area. This does not mean that government has the primary or exclusive role, but it does have a positive moral responsibility in safeguarding human rights and ensuring that the minimum conditions of human dignity are met for all. In a democracy, government is a means by which we can act together to protect what is important to us and to promote our common values.”

- Economic Justice for All: Pastoral Letter on Catholic Social Teaching and the U.S. Economy
U. S. Catholic Bishops, 1986

http://www.catholicsinalliance.org/catholic-social-teaching

Admittedly, modern American liberals would mostly read that as license for the government to do it and relieve the individual of any voluntary responsibility. The modern American conservatives would mostly read that as the Constitutional responsibility of government to institute policy, rules, and regulation that protects the unalienable rights of the people, promotes the common welfare, and frees up the people to accomplish it.

0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 12:16 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

To the extent that you're talking about individual health insurance policies, such "a la carte" policies already exist -- or, at least, the policyholder isn't paying premiums for services that he or she would never get. For instance, a male policyholder's policy may still cover him for pregnancy (policy forms, after all, are approved by the state dept. of insurance and so can't be altered very easily), but his premiums would be calculated to reflect the fact that he has zero percent chance of getting pregnant. On the other hand, if you want a policy that covers only certain conditions or certain procedures, you can probably get one from a specialty or surplus lines carrier. If you can't, it's not because legislation prevents it but because no insurer wants to underwrite it. So, in the case of individual health insurance, you're complaining about a problem that doesn't really exist.

On the other hand, if you're talking about group coverage (which is what most people have through their employment), then you can't get "a la carte" coverage, but that's because the whole point of group coverage is to pool all the participants together in a large enough group so that the good risks balance the bad risks. In that context, "a la carte" coverage makes absolutely no sense. There again, it's not legislation that prevents you from getting "a la carte" group coverage, it's the fact that no group health insurer would ever issue such a policy.

The laws and rules vary from state to state, but the very problem you point out re employer provided group policies would be multiplied many times over with a giant national government run plan. A la carte policies would have to be issued on an individual basis and would present problems for those in the higher risk categories. Then again why should the healthy, low risk person be penalized for the health problems of the two fisted drinking, prime rib loving, couch potato? So that is one issue that should be thought through and solutions found. No solution will be available from a one-size-fits-all government program however.

And I think there would be numerous suppliers for catastrophic illnesses/injuries only policies if enough people wanted that so that the risk would be spread. And I guarantee you that if most people were handed an itemized medical bill and could see what they are being charged for and what it costs, and they were paying for those routine things out of pocket, medical costs would come down.

And of course there remains the issue of tort reform that factors into a huge percentage of medical costs either through direct insurance costs, legal expenses to defend lawsuits or settle them out of court, and the vast amount of nnecessary expensive tests and procedures that are done as defensive, not necessary, medicine. Oddly, I don't think the President or Congress have addressed that in any of the five bills now being kicked around in Washington.

I don't claim or insinuate that I am smart enough to competently fine tune our healthcare system and wiser heads than mine will have to do that. But I am smart enough to recognize sensible and practical ideas when they surface and open minded enough to give them appropriate consideration. And I am also convinced that since a substantial majority of Americans are happy with their healthcare, it is extremely unwise to dismantle the system in favor of something untried, unproven, and obviously not thought through at all.