Yankee

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 11:31 am
@aidan,
Quote:
*More than 9,000,000 children (ages 0-18) are uninsured in the US (2005).
One out of every 9 children is uninsured.

Working Status of Families with uninsured children:
*88.3% of uninsured children come from families where at least one parent works.
*Among 70% of uninsured children living with a parent, at least one family member works full-time, year round.
*Still, 70.8% of uninsured children come from low-income families ($33,200 a year for a family of three)
*59% live in two-parent households
*In more than half of two parent households with uninsured children, both parents work.

Thanks for the statistics.

If 88% of the parents of these children are working, why are the parents not paying for Health Insurance?

If 59% have both parents working, why did the parents decide to to buy insurance.

So I ask again, why is it the taxpayers responsibility to pay for these people who are working and have the means to buy it themselves?

In this example, there is nothing wrong with the health care system we currently have. The problem is with the parents. Lack of income is no excuse. Get a second job, do something for yourselves.
aidan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 11:32 am
@H2O MAN,
No- a lot of employers don't provide health insurance for dependents.

By the time my kids were older and I was working for the state of North Carolina as a teacher - health insurance was not provided for my dependents - I had to pay over $400.00 a month and that was cheaper than buying the plan for dependents that their father's job provided (and he was a physician working in a hospital for christ's sake!).

Luckily - we could afford to pay- but I don't know how people who are in lower paying jobs do it. I really don't. They are responsible and working, but the fact of the matter is that full-time employment no longer guarantees benefits as it once did.
Yankee

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 11:34 am
@aidan,
A responsible adult would do whatever it takes to make ends meet.

An irresponsible adult will look for handouts from others.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

@aidan,

Why would one rely on an employer for health insurance?
Buy your own health insurance.
0 Replies

aidan

@Yankee,

Quote:
If 88% of the parents of these children are working, why are the parents not paying for Health Insurance?

If 59% have both parents working, why did the parents decide to to buy insurance.

See my post below- the cost is prohibitive- these parents have to make a choice of paying the rent and buying food or buying insurance.

What would you do? I think I'd put a roof over their head and food in their mouths first...
Yankee

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 11:37 am
@aidan,
Where is getting a second job on your list of things to do?

Where is getting a smaller shelter on your list of things to do.

Where is deciding not to have a child if you cannot afford one, on your list of things to do?

Where is personal responsibility on your list of character traits?
aidan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 11:38 am
@aidan,
I'd love to hear you answer this question H2O man or Yankee:
Quote:
So tell me what you would do for a child who developes diabetes whose mother waits tables all day and makes too much to qualify for medicaid, but has to use her wages for shelter and food for her family and can't afford insulin?

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 11:41 am
@aidan,

Get a better paying job or a second job.
Cut all non-essential expenses.
Seek out non-government charity health care networks that are ready to help.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 11:45 am
@Yankee,
Quote:
Where is getting a second job on your list of things to do?

Where is getting a smaller shelter on your list of things to do.

Where is deciding not to have a child if you cannot afford one, on your list of things to do?

Where is personal responsibility on your list of character traits?

On my list of things to do? Are you talking to me? I've said that I was able to fulfill my responsibilities for my children without government intervention.
But I was able to access opportunities for higher education that prepared me for a profession that paid a living wage and then some.
A lot of people arent that lucky.

Yankee - I wouldn't be so supercilious if I were you. Many, many of these people who make too much to qualify for medicaid but not enough to buy insurance or medication when they have a chronic illness are already living a very subsistence lifestyle. I've done home visits for my school - believe me - there aint many extras left for them to give up.

An adult should take personal responsibility, certainly. But what if he or she doesnt' and there's a sick kid?

What are you gonna do as an American citizen for that sick child?

I know that as an American citizen - I'm ashamed that right now we have a system in which some of them just die (even if it is for the sins of their parents).
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 11:48 am
@aidan,
Quote:

Quote:
So tell me what you would do for a child who developes diabetes whose mother waits tables all day and makes too much to qualify for medicaid, but has to use her wages for shelter and food for her family and can't afford insulin?

Can either of you PLEASE answer this question?
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 11:59 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Quote:

For starters:

aidan, PLEASE answer this question for me.

Are you aware that Obamacare has never been about improving health care?
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 12:23 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Thanks.

nobody said it was a good game.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 12:42 pm
@H2O MAN,
H20 MAN wrote:
Imagine no individuals dying

It's easy if you try...

http://www.sfu.ca/~smbarber/john-lennon.jpg
mysteryman

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 12:44 pm
@contrex,
Didnt he die?
aidan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 12:47 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
Are you aware that Obamacare has never been about improving health care

Logic dictates that when you take a set amount of a resource and try to spread it out over a larger population than it previously has been, quality might suffer.
So yes, I understand that 'improvement' of healthcare might be a misnomer for those Americans who receive the truly first-class and wonderfully quick and effective treatment that private insurance buys in the US.

But any healthcare is an improvement for those who have access to little or none.

I live in a country with socialized medicine right now- the UK. And I have to say, although no one in my family has a chronic illness and we've only used it to have routine check ups - that it's been fine. And I've not experienced any of the horror stories that I'd been conditioned to expect about socialized medicine via the media.

I guess it comes down to how you feel about some people getting the best and others getting none, instead of everyone getting a least the chance to have a modicum of decent healthcare.
It doesn't necessarily have to affect you and your family. If people want to pay for private care - that's their business- that could still be available for those who could afford it and want to access it.
But I think we could alleviate a lot of expensive problems if we made preventative care and check-ups more affordable and available- at the very least, for all children.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 12:50 pm
@H2O MAN,
I said:
Quote:
Quote:

H2O nan said:
Quote:
For starters:

And if their parent can't - or even just won't? What would you tell that child?
contrex

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 12:54 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:
Didnt he die?

He was killed by an American guy who had a gun.
mysteryman

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 01:06 pm
@contrex,
No matter how he died, since he died that shoots down the idea of nobody dying, doesnt it.

And wouldnt he be just as dead if a foreigner had killed him with a knife, or a club, or a heavy frying pan, or a club, or a garrot, or one of any thousands of ways to kill someone without using a gun?
aidan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 01:12 pm
@mysteryman,
I think Bill was speaking of people who die unnecessarily of disease that could be treated if healthcare were more available to all citizens- at least I think so....
(I'm being sarcastic).

Quote:
And wouldnt he be just as dead if a foreigner had killed him with a knife, or a club, or a heavy frying pan, or a club, or a garrot, or one of any thousands of ways to kill someone without using a gun?

yeah - but it was an American with a gun- shameful.
And I'm being dead serious.
mysteryman

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 01:19 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
yeah - but it was an American with a gun- shameful.
And I'm being dead serious.

So would it have been less shameful if he had not used a gun?