If one more person calls me Joy I'm gonna scream

chai2

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 02:39 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Was she white or black?

I ask this because I'm one of the view white Joyce's I've known.

The ratio seems to be about 5 or 6 to 1.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 02:45 pm
@chai2,
got two Joyces that I know of in my little burg...

only got 2 black folks in the whole place, and i'm not sure what their names are, but the lady, she comes 'round twice a year to convert me.

(got several Joy's, too...)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 02:48 pm
I am a lucky so an so to be born male. My chosen female name was Patsy Darlene. Jesus. What was my mom thinking?
Rockhead

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 02:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
Patsy Darlene Jesus Blythe...

nope, doesn't work.

(no ring to it...)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 02:53 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Was she white or black?

The ratio seems to be about 5 or 6 to 1.

She is white.
Her father told me that thay r descended of the Austrian Aristocracy.

David
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 03:04 pm
this works much better spoken than written

the party was going great, and we were all feeling mary
then mary left, so we all jumped for joy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 03:14 pm
@Rockhead,
Maybe if she left out the Darlene part.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 03:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I am a lucky so an so to be born male. My chosen female name was Patsy Darlene. Jesus. What was my mom thinking?

snort
patsy darlene .....whooo boy.

if wally had been a girl, he was gonna be jane elaine crane

as it is, he goes by his middle name.
roger

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 03:16 pm
@chai2,
He'd rather be called Elaine than Wally? Takes all kinds, I guess.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 03:32 pm
Well my employer called me Tracey for 2 years......my name is Tanya.

I got that fed up I started wearing a name badge...I guess he couldn't read either.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 04:49 pm
Steve and Dave sound somewhat alike....several years ago, there was a married couple that opened a store here in town....they didn't know anybody, and were trying to get on a first name basis with everyone, but they did not have a southern ear, and often got the names confused.....I was Dave for well over a year. I never said anything cause I liked being called Dave better than Steve.

Steve-0 never bothered me much til the "Jackass" stuff got popular....Steve-0 is the one that staples his dude sack to his thigh on stage.....I do not want to share anything in common with him or any of those boys...I firmly believe they should not be allowed to breed.

I went to school with a black girl named Joyce....we called her Joycee, she was a hellcat....and a white girl named Joy...didn't really know her though. I have an aunt or cousin...don't really know her either, but my mom talks about her sometimes, she calls her Joyce-a-faye.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 05:11 pm
@chai2,
Jodie, I've often wanted to dedicate this to you.

I know you're not a music person, but not everyone has a song written about them.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 05:14 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

There's a white (or at least very pale pink) Joyce living next to hamburger. There's a sort of blue-white Joyce living two doors over here. Never met a Joyce of any deeper shade. Never met a Joyce as young as you are.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 05:56 pm
ohhhh man.
I understand ya.

I get called Mel alot.

mel = big fat old taxi driver.

Im not a man, Dont call me Mel..

ehBeth

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 05:59 pm
@shewolfnm,
I know 2 women called Mel here. One is a sexy tiny Bollywood dancer. The other is a jazz vocalist and belly dancer of French- Canadian descent.

Actually, now that I think of it, quite a few female Mel's here - usually Melanie's originally - usually French-Canadian or East Indian.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 06:46 pm
@shewolfnm,
Mel, oh **** THAT would piss me off.

I knew one woman called Mel growing up. It was short for Melvina, accent on the vine part.

ehbeth....yeah also re the age.

I remember getting to the age where you'd be watching a movie and you'd see characters named Sharon, Laura, Pat, Kathleen, like my girlfriends, but never a Joyce.
Then, I noticed Joyce's were relegated to being the best friend of the main character in a movie from the 1940's. A friend who is in like 2 little scenes, saying stuff like "I'd watch myself around that man, if I were you. He's after something" or "You're going to Paris? How exciting!"

Either way, you never saw her again.

Maybe all the white Joyce's got too old and died, and I'm the last one.

Wally used to think I was crazy when I said that, but, over the years, he's introduced me to probably a dozen Joyces, and each time I'd say "see?" Right now I can name 3 peope I know, 2 nurses and a tech, all "AA" with that name.

God, I sound like a pre-occupied teenager about my name. All these people calling me Joy lately has hit me hard....real hard....I'm gonna make it though, don't worry....I'll make it through this......I hope.

At least I have Joyce DeWitt.

Good God, what did she do to her beautiful nose?!

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tmz.com/media/2007/12/1207_dewitt_2_rev.jpg
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 06:49 pm
@shewolfnm,
http://www.geocities.com/classics4ever/alice/cast/images/tayback.jpg
chai2

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 07:07 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

http://www.geocities.com/classics4ever/alice/cast/images/tayback.jpg

Yeah!

That's exactly who I think of when I hear Mel!!

Growing up, a kid across the green from us was named Gary. For some reason, maybe the "little kid can't pronounce it" thing, he apparantly was called "Ticey" by his family for a short while.
I say a short while, because I can barely remember them calling him that. However, my mother called him that for the next 25 years.

I hardly ever talked to him, he was maybe 5 years older than me, and for some reason I was a littled scared of him (no reason, I guess just because he was 5 years older and had a level of "cool" I didn't understand). But one day I asked him about the name Ticey. Can't remember why he said he was called that for a while, but I do remember him saying he had asked his family to stop because he hated it.

The next time I heard my mother call him Ticey, I said to her afterwards "Mom, call him Gary, he hates being called Ticey" Typical of mom, she said, "he doesn't hate it when "I" do it. He'll always be Ticey to me, and that's what I'm going to call him."

I guess that's when it hit me that it sucks that people sometimes call you a name you hate, but there's no respect like "at least get my name right. It's my name, get it right."

Like boomerang and Mo. I love that she calls him by the name he wants.

chai2

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 07:53 pm
IMO, there are 3 perfect male names. Perfect in any language.

Paul
Steve and variations
Dave and variations

Paolo, Pavel, Pashka
Dawid, Davidek, Davide
Istvan, Stefek, Etienne, Stefano

etc.

Don't know about female names.
I'll have to think about it.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 09:53 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Like boomerang and Mo. I love that she calls him by the name he wants.

That 's not his name ?
0 Replies