If one more person calls me Joy I'm gonna scream

roger

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 05:24 pm
@Mame,
Di told me very carefully not to say Pam. I went with Mame.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 05:29 pm
@roger,
yeah I got the same info from Di so I just called her "Pammie" while she was here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 05:37 pm
@roger,
After I've oft stated my name preference, I get either mildly seething inwardly or a tad snappish, as I suppose I've said on a2k before, when people in my life get a kick out of calling me by my full first name; my brother in law, for example, or a certain jokester old favorite employer. It is as if they know better than you... and is usually meant well as a kind of fond override. I worked hard to be called simply Jo. I've been aggravated by that so long, I'm almost ready to like the full name again.

Anyway, that is all nothing compared to seeing, say, Christmas cards from long time friends to Joe, inside on the card, or envelopes. I guess none of those folks ever read Little Women.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 08:02 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Well, my name is Pamela, as in PamELA. But I get Pam, Pammie, Pambla, Pamella, Pambela, Pameela, Pamula, Pamla, Pamra - lots of immigrants where I've lived and worked who can't say my name.

PamELA?

you don't say it with the accent on the first sylabel?

Pambla...sounds like NAMBLA.
I wouldn't like that.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 08:16 pm
I'm going to call you Hagatha from now on...
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 11:53 pm
@chai2,
Sorry, no, it's PAMela, it's just a long habit of me adding ELA when they say "Pam". Pambla is what Alice, a recent Chinese immigrant at work, calls me. It sounds kinda cute. The other Chinese worker, Victor, calls me Pameela, emphasis on the EE. PamEEEEEEla. I don't mind.

Roger, Di's a good woman and you're a smart bloke. As for Dys, well, I guess you were getting me back for calling you Dizzy all night. And I wasn't even listening to you anyway or, as you know, I woulda ripped your heart out and stuffed it somewhere.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 12:31 am
I guess Roger is a tough one in Spanish. Some of the Mexicans I used to work with came up with something that sounded a lot like Royer, which was fine with me.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 12:57 am
@chai2,
If one more person calls me Joy I'm gonna scream

chai2 wrote:

MY NAME IS NOT JOY!!!!!

It's Joyce!

No it's not almost the same name, it's an ENTIRELY, COMPLELTLY DIFFERENT NAME!!!!

It's not like calling someone named Patrica, Pat, or William, Bill.

GOT THAT????

Wow. You sound like Liz . . . OOPS, I mean, Elizabeth.

"DON'T CALL ME LIZ!!"

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 01:52 am
But what if just about everyone else thinks your real name stinks? Sad I've always thought Olga sounded rather stern, or something ... an unfortunate Anglicization of a name that sounds so much better, gentler (!) in its Slavic form, where the hard "g", is actually a soft "h"...& the "o" is softened, too. "Olha" Like a gentle breeze that sound! Smile Compared to Olga, anyway! Evil or Very Mad

Obviously lots of others haven't been too taken with the hard sounding Olga, either, particularly my students, who have a tendency to change names to what ever suits them best! Consequently over the years I've been called the following names & more: Ollie, Miss O, Olga da Polga, Ollie Pops, etc, etc .... Once, as a silly joke, a couple of boys called me "Olgs" (very Australian, that. Funny.) & it stuck! It even grew on me! To this day I sometimes refer to myself by that silly name. ANYTHING but Olga!

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 02:57 am
So I gather that if we call her chai we get killed?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 05:16 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

chai2 wrote:
IMO, there are 3 perfect male names. Perfect in any language.

Paul
Steve and variations
Dave and variations

Paolo, Pavel, Pashka
Dawid, Davidek, Davide
Istvan, Stefek, Etienne, Stefano

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJdMRNSPo7c[/youtube]

Too Many Daves

by Theodor Geisel
Did I ever tell you that Mrs. McCave
Had twenty-three sons and she named them all Dave?
Well, she did. And that wasn't a smart thing to do.
You see, when she wants one and calls out, "Yoo-Hoo!
Come into the house, Dave!" she doesn't get one.
All twenty-three Daves of hers come on the run!
This makes things quite difficult at the McCaves'
As you can imagine, with so many Daves.
And often she wishes that, when they were born,
She had named one of them Bodkin Van Horn
And one of them Hoos-Foos. And one of them Snimm.
And one of them Hot-Shot. And one Sunny Jim.
And one of them Shadrack. And one of them Blinkey.
And one of them Stuffy. And one of them Stinkey.
Another one Putt-Putt. Another one Moon Face.
Another one Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face.
And one of them Ziggy. And one Soggy Muff.
One Buffalo Bill. And one Biffalo Buff.
And one of them Sneepy. And one Weepy Weed.
And one Paris Garters. And one Harris Tweed.
And one of them Sir Michael Carmichael Zutt
And one of them Oliver Boliver Butt
And one of them Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate ...
But she didn't do it. And now it's too late.

In Mensa, we have the David Special Interest Group
(there r many special interest groups) for members named David.
We were supposed to get our pictures taken together last Saturday nite at 7.
Presumably, thay did. I was asleep in my suite.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 05:19 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

But what if just about everyone else thinks your real name stinks? Sad I've always thought Olga sounded rather stern, or something ... an unfortunate Anglicization of a name that sounds so much better, gentler (!) in its Slavic form, where the hard "g", is actually a soft "h"...& the "o" is softened, too. "Olha" Like a gentle breeze that sound! Smile Compared to Olga, anyway! Evil or Very Mad

Obviously lots of others haven't been too taken with the hard sounding Olga, either, particularly my students, who have a tendency to change names to what ever suits them best! Consequently over the years I've been called the following names & more: Ollie, Miss O, Olga da Polga, Ollie Pops, etc, etc .... Once, as a silly joke, a couple of boys called me "Olgs" (very Australian, that. Funny.) & it stuck! It even grew on me! To this day I sometimes refer to myself by that silly name. ANYTHING but Olga!

For what its worth:
it has never occurred to me that Olga sounds like a hard name.
It is my opinion that Olga is of average softness.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 05:26 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Well, my name is Pamela, as in PamELA.
But I get Pam, Pammie, Pambla, Pamella, Pambela, Pameela,
Pamula, Pamla, Pamra - lots of immigrants where I've lived
and worked who can't say my name.

My name is David.

What is a USian bigot ?

David
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 05:29 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Ah, I eventually learned to live with the Anglicized version of my name, David! Wink It was more of a "thing" for some students - in those schools where teachers were on where on first-name basis with students. If I 'd received 5 cents for each time I was told it didn't sound right, or didn't suit me at all ... I'd be a very rich woman now. Smile
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 05:51 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

So I gather that if we call her chai we get killed?

We r supposed to say Joyce instead of Chai ?

Does Chai mean something ?

Joyce, how did u select "Chai" ?

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 06:03 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Ah, I eventually learned to live with the Anglicized version of my name, David! Wink It was more of a "thing" for some students - in those schools where teachers were on where on first-name basis with students. If I 'd received 5 cents for each time I was told it didn't sound right, or didn't suit me at all ... I'd be a very rich woman now. Smile

Getting a little off topic for comedic interest:
I was returning from a Mensa gathering in Las Vegas a few years ago,
with a naval captain at the beloved McCarran Airport. We had a long wait for our planes.
He was sufficiently ill-advised to play the nickel machine and had ghastly luck:
he hit the machine which disgorged $1,000 worth of nickels on him.
I bet that he was not insured for that.

In the parlance of the day:
"heavy, man, heavy."

David
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 11:22 am
I knew someone named Joy in high school. She had a friend named Hope. Be glad you don't, the jokes made about the two of them were endless. Very Happy

0 Replies