revel

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 07:36 am
I don't really see this as a big deal, surely he has some way someone (his assistant or someone) could have gotten in touch with him if needed. Other than that the rest is not really important but it does show him up as a hypocrite not unlike some other of his party concerning the morality issue. When you (a party in this case) put yourself up on a pedestal it is hard not be knocked down at some point. We all fall short of the glory of God so to speak.
panzade

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 07:58 am
Jenny Sanford's statement http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/latest/lat_530463.shtml

Quote:
"I believe wholeheartedly in the sanctity, dignity and importance of the institution of marriage. I believe that has been consistently reflected in my actions. When I found out about my husband's infidelity I worked immediately to first seek reconciliation through forgiveness, and then to work diligently to repair our marriage. We reached a point where I felt it was important to look my sons in the eyes and maintain my dignity, self-respect, and my basic sense of right and wrong. I therefore asked my husband to leave two weeks ago.

"This trial separation was agreed to with the goal of ultimately strengthening our marriage. During this short separation it was agreed that Mark would not contact us. I kept this separation quiet out of respect of his public office and reputation, and in hopes of keeping our children from just this type of public exposure. Because of this separation, I did not know where he was in the past week.

This is a remarkable woman with grace, strength and sensitivity. In the end , she outed him...did she have a choice?
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 08:10 am

Maybe this will knock all Republicans off their high horse and give them a much needed reality check.
panzade

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 08:15 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O
Quote:
Maybe this will knock all Republicans off their high horse and give them a much needed reality check.

You're half right, I'm hoping it will knock Republicans AND Democrats off their high horse
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 08:33 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

H2O
Quote:

You're half right, I'm hoping it will knock Republicans AND Democrats off their high horse

I'll drink to that! Cool
panzade

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 08:41 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O
Quote:
I'll drink to that!

Water ....right? Very Happy
dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 09:05 am
@panzade,
These private things should stay private.

Poor woman and kids.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 09:14 am
@panzade,

A splash of distilled H2O in a glass of rather nice Scotch
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 09:19 am
@panzade,
not a chance
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 09:24 am
@dlowan,
dlowan
Quote:
These private things should stay private.

would make a great discussion...no?

Quote:
Poor woman and kids.

Since she revealed the peccadillo(or gross misconduct-however you see it) I imagine she felt it was best to slay the dragon now.

I was thinking about what you wrote about the politicians in the UK and Australia not being as affected by such improprieties....probably because of the Puritanism inherent in American politics...shrug.
panzade

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 09:25 am
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
rather nice Scotch

yes....?....and the name?
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 09:33 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Quote:
rather nice Scotch

yes....?....and the name?

This will do......

http://www.winedepot.co.il/Upload/21_Years_Old(1).jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 10:13 am
@panzade,
I think we're succumbing a bit....but I don't think it has reached anywhere near the point it is in the US.

Please heaven we never become US-like in this.

Any other Ozzians here with commets on this?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 10:49 am
@revel,
revel wrote:

I don't really see this as a big deal, surely he has some way someone (his assistant or someone) could have gotten in touch with him if needed.

http://able2know.org/topic/113196-566#post-3685340

Quote:
Sanford's undisclosed getaway mocked in the media, criticized by lawmakers
(By Tim Smith, Greenville News, June 23, 2009)

COLUMBIA - Gov. Mark Sanford has been hiking along with Appalachian Trail, his spokesman said this morning, and he will return to work tomorrow because of the attention this trip has garnered.

Joel Sawyer, a spokesman for the governor, said Monday that he could not disclose the location of Sanford. He said today that the governor’s staff waited until last night before releasing more detail, in part because “we wanted to have a little bit better understanding of where he was.”

He said the governor was taken aback by so much attention to his trip.

Sawyer said he did not know when the governor would finish his hiking trip or what section he was on of the popular trail, which runs from northern Georgia to Maine. Sawyer said there was no need to turn over his authority to the lieutenant governor.

Sawyer on Monday said the governor had left town last week to a secret location to “recharge” after his bruising political battle with lawmakers over the federal stimulus issue.

<snip>

One state senator questioned whether the governor’s location was known by his staff and criticized the governor for leaving without handling over control of state government to Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer.

“I think everybody in South Carolina ought to have a problem with it,” said Sen. Jake Knotts, a West Columbia Republican and frequent Sanford critic. “I don’t mind him taking off somewhere to be alone. But the constitution says that in the absence of the governor, the lieutenant governor should be left in charge.”

<snip>

Should any emergencies arrive before his return, Sawyer said, the governor’s staff would contact other state officials to address them.

Knotts, a former police detective who first learned of the governor’s disappearance on Saturday, said Sanford left last week in a State Law Enforcement Division vehicle and that agency has not been able to contact him since. He said it is not the first time the governor has shaken his security detail.

“I understand that in other instances over the last several weeks, the governor has left without any detail and gone for short periods of time,” Knotts said, “but this is the longest.”

<snip>

Knotts said he also had a problem with the governor taking a fully equipped SLED vehicle.

“I’ve had my battles with the governor,” Knotts said. “But this isn’t a battle with the governor. This is just plain out logical thinking.”

<snip>

Word of his disappearance on Monday prompted the leader of the Senate Democrats to say that he was praying for the governor.

“We’ve been concerned by the governor’s erratic behavior for some time,” Sen. John Land said in a statement. “We’re praying for him and his family. I hope he is safe and that he contacts the First Lady and his family soon.”

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 04:17 pm
@ehBeth,
While I'm sure the media would have reported the story if it consisted simply of an announcement by Sanford that he had cheated on his wife, what makes this a larger story than the infidelity of Senator John Ensign are the circumstances leading up to Sanford's announcement

I haven't seen if all the facts have come out, but it appears obvious that Sanford told everyone that he was going on a hiking trip in the Appalachians so that he could meet his mistress in Argentina. While in Argentina, he must have been recognized by someone who would very likely report his presence to the media.

First reaction: Make up the ridiculous story that he changed his mind about the hiking trip, wanted to go somewhere exotic, and spent his time driving, alone, along the Argentine coast.

Second reaction: Recognizing the ridiculous story would never bear up under scrutiny and coming clean about the affair.

Another reason for the size of the story is that Sanford was clearly positioning himself for a presidential run in 2012, which leads one to wonder:

If someone makes the decision to at least position himself for a presidential race, and goes to the troubling of developing a detailed plan and starting to build an organization, wouldn't you think they would be willing to keep their fly zippered for a few years?

This has happened with such frequency that there must be a correlation between planning to become president and cheating on one's wife.

It has sunk Sanford as it sank Hart. It almost sank Bill Clinton and it could easily have sunk John Edwards if the timing had been a bit different. Lord knows how many other candidates have dodged the bullet of revelation.

I think the common characteristic is narcissism, and it is almost a prerequisite for running for an elected position.

While infidelity doesn't speak well for anyone's character, there is a measure of arrogance and reckless audacity that is troubling in someone we hope to trust as a leader.

I'm sure there are theories that these qualities make for good leaders, but does anyone know how many of our presidents were unfaithful to their wives?

I think Clinton was the only one who admitted it, but it seems widely accepted that both JFK and FDR had affairs while in office, and that both Jefferson and LBJ cheated on their wives.

Carter only cheated on his wife in his heart, and Nixon probably only had sex twice in his entire life - both times with Pat. Lincoln should have cheated on his wife if he didn't, and Andrew Jackson married a woman who was having sex with him when she herself was married to someone else.

And as for the hypocrisy of Republicans.

Why is it not hypocritical for a Democrat to cheat on their spouse? Because that sort of behavior is expected of them? Because they never criticize anyone's morality?

JTT

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 04:21 pm
@Setanta,
That's not hypocrisy, Set. That tiny number of Repubs who engage in this type of behavior really aren't conservatives/Republicans. Can't you see that? Republicans/conservatives simply don't do these things.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 08:06 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn
Quote:
And as for the hypocrisy of Republicans.

Set
Quote:
This is the party who scourges their opponents for their immorality. This is the party which relies upon the right wing christian vote, garnered by an alleged adherence to moral rectitude. This is the party which attempted to remove a president from office for his sexual peccadillos. Hypocrisy in public life is a big deal from the party which makes moral rectitude their alleged calling card.

pretty much answers it for me
farmerman

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 08:24 pm
@panzade,
He sure didnt have a plan "B" . His story fell apart quickly.
I could have thought of several stories that he could have forwarded about his trip to Buenos Aires.

1Market oportunities with some trade group and he didnt want to use state funds unless something came of it.

2 Had to be alone to think out his future plans and he always liked Argentine sunrises.

3He needed a hit of yerba mate
ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 08:31 pm
@farmerman,
As usual, I don't give a **** except for the business of government. Which seems to have been lacking, off and on.

I don't care either about posturing or defense to it.

Tell me again about his policies?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 08:36 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
3He needed a hit of yerba mate

http://www.yerba-mate-teas.com/pics/yerba-mate-culture.jpg

Sanford's bodyguard pre-tasting his mate