CIA head: Cheney almost wishing US be attacked

Foofie

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 06:57 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

And that title attributes the accuser--get over yourself, Mr. Righteous Indignation. This is as bad as your "they're doing to cut off all our heads" hysteria. Lighten up.

Ah, the old trivialize the accusation trick.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 02:30 am

It's by no means clear that Mr Cheney was not involved in the last attack on US soil. But I suppose he didn't realise it was going to be so big.
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:45 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

You posted a quotation which accuses a person of great evil, based on the wildest guesswork.

And? That's against what law, by-law, convention?

Oh, it's perfectly legal, just immoral.
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:46 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

When someone says that there is a danger which we ought to pay attention to, how does that imply that he wants the danger to be fulfilled so that he can look correct? Find me any recent quotation from Cheney which indicates that he wants America to be attacked.

No. I am not beholden to you to hunt up quotes from Dick Cheney. If you don't want to see the obvious logical path of his recent statements, that's your call. Doesn't matter to me.

Cycloptichorn

Can you give me some indication of how warning of a danger logically implies that the speaker wants the danger fulfilled?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:50 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

And that title attributes the accuser--get over yourself, Mr. Righteous Indignation. This is as bad as your "they're doing to cut off all our heads" hysteria. Lighten up.

If someone made a post here which accused you of something really awful based on wild guesswork, and if it might very well be believed by readers, you wouldn't think it was right. Don't even bother denying it. It's obvious.

It's just open season on the Bush administration with ethics and logic thrown to the winds. An attack on someone's character shouldn't be made based on reading his mind and then blaming him for what you invented, but I guess that's all you guys really have.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:50 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
You posted a quotation which accuses a person of great evil, based on the wildest guesswork.

This is utter bullshit. Walter posted a news item about someone who accused Cheney of evil (and even if he is not guilty of this, he certainly deserves to be described as evil). You continue to whine about this, and ignore the undeniable fact that Walter posted a news item about the accusation, and offered no opinion on the legitimacy of the accusation.

What a creep.
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:51 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Quote:
I'll bet you won't tell us how you'd like it if I posted an article quoting someone who accused you of something truly evil and horrible, knowing that it was wild speculation based on nothing.

I'll be happy to tell you. I don't believe in shooting the messenger. If you posted a news item which contained invidious accusations which were wild speculation based on nothing, i'd have a grudge against whomever had published the article, not you.

Once again, get over yourself, Mr. Righteous Indignation.

I'm free not to promulgate unfounded character assasination, so if I do promulgate it, I bear some responsibility.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:51 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

So you say that it is immoral that some dozens of US-papers (including quite conservative ones - see above), numerous foreign papers, reported about this? With nearly exactly the same headline as on this thread?
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:52 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

It's by no means clear that Mr Cheney was not involved in the last attack on US soil. But I suppose he didn't realise it was going to be so big.

You're now saying that Cheney was behind 9/11?????
Setanta

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:55 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
I'm free not to promulgate unfounded character assasination, so if I do promulgate it, I bear some responsibility.

Jesus, the irony here is incredible. This is exactly what you're doing to Walter. Walter did not promulgate unfounded character assassination. He posted an article about someone who made an accusation against Cheney. You have not established that the charge is unfounded, so that's bullshit right there. I rather doubt that the Director of Central Intelligence can substantiate such an accusation, but as soon as you describe it as unfounded, you take on the responsibility for that statement. Walter promulgated nothing--he reported on what newspapers were reporting.

Once again, hysteria from Mr. Righteous indignation.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:57 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Walter posted a news item about someone who accused Cheney of evil (and even if he is not guilty of this, he certainly deserves to be described as evil). You continue to whine about this, and ignore the undeniable fact that Walter posted a news item about the accusation, and offered no opinion on the legitimacy of the accusation.

Perhaps it's easier to attack me than the media, especially the conservative ones.
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:59 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

So you say that it is immoral that some dozens of US-papers (including quite conservative ones - see above), numerous foreign papers, reported about this? With nearly exactly the same headline as on this thread?

My feeling is that you weren't just reporting the news, you were endorsing it. If I posted a thread called, "Witnesses report Obama kills political prisoners for sport," the liberals would certainly hold me responsible for promulgating nonsense, even if I were quoting someone's else's unsubstantiated allegation.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 09:00 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

My feeling is that you weren't just reporting the news, you were endorsing it.

Your more stupid than I thought, sorry.

I copied/pasted a couple of newspaper articles with the same headline.

DO YOU HAVE THE FEELING THAT THE WASHINGTON TIMES ENDORSED THIS, TOO?
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 09:03 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Quote:

Jesus, the irony here is incredible. This is exactly what you're doing to Walter. Walter did not promulgate unfounded character assassination. He posted an article about someone who made an accusation against Cheney. You have not established that the charge is unfounded, so that's bullshit right there. I rather doubt that the Director of Central Intelligence can substantiate such an accusation, but as soon as you describe it as unfounded, you take on the responsibility for that statement. Walter promulgated nothing--he reported on what newspapers were reporting.

Once again, hysteria from Mr. Righteous indignation.

The accuser is responsible to prove an allegation. The accused and his supporters are not responsible to prove it's unfounded. However, since Cheney pretty clearly never said he wants us to be attacked or anything like that, it would pretty much have to be unfounded.

Once again, promulgating wild accusations of wickedness against someone is irresponsible, except in a few special cases, e.g. unless one is a newspaper with a responsibility to report all significant occurrences. Coming from someone who dislikes Cheney, quoting wild accusations against him is even more suspect.
Setanta

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 09:04 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Perhaps it's easier to attack me than the media, especially the conservative ones.

A cogent point. I suspect that media corporations are blissfully ignorant of Brandon's very existence.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 09:04 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

My feeling is that you weren't just reporting the news, you were endorsing it.

Your more stupid than I thought, sorry.

I doubt it, since you don't seem to be able to say how. Name calling is surely the lowest level of debate.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 09:05 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
Name calling is surely the lowest level of debate.

I have the strong feeling that you are stupid. This is not name calling.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 09:07 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Let me get this right. You believe that quoting someone else's speculation is immoral?

I'm gonna speculate that Brandon9000 doesn't have a real clear idea of what "immoral" means. Someone wanna quote me on that?
Setanta

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 09:08 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
The accuser is responsible to prove an allegation.

That would be Mr. Panetta, not Walter. Nevertheless, when you state categorically (as you did) that something is unfounded, you are responsible for the veracity of that statement.

Quote:
Once again, promulgating wild accusations of wickedness against someone is irresponsible, except in a few special cases, e.g. unless one is a newspaper with a responsibility to report all significant occurrences.

Once again, Walter promulgated nothing. In fact, Walter was quoting newspapers which did exactly that. You've got serious logic problems whenever a discussion involves one of your right-wing, tin-pot heroes.

Dipshit.
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 09:08 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
Name calling is surely the lowest level of debate.

I have the strong feeling that you are stupid. This is not name calling.

So, your arguments finally degenerate down to simple name calling. I'll take that as a sign that you are out of ideas.

The article you posted makes a serious accusation against someone based on nothing more than a wild guess. It isn't something I would want to be associated with.