Gay marriage - Dick Cheney's take

nimh

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 05:39 pm
Quote:
MR. SHAW: Senator, sexual orientation. Should a male who loves a male and a female who loves a female have all -- all the constitutional rights enjoyed by every American citizen?

SEN. LIEBERMAN: <snipped>

MR. SHAW: Mr. Secretary?

MR. CHENEY: This is a tough one, Bernie. The fact of the matter is we live in a free society, and freedom means freedom for everybody. We don't get to choose, and shouldn't be able to choose and say, "You get to live free, but you don't." And I think that means that people should be free to enter into any kind of relationship they want to enter into. It's really no one else's business in terms of trying to regulate or prohibit behavior in that regard.

The next step, then, of course, is the question you ask of whether or not there ought to be some kind of official sanction, if you will, of the relationship, or if these relationships should be treated the same way a conventional marriage is. That's a tougher problem. That's not a slam dunk.

I think the fact of the matter, of course, is that matter is regulated by the states. I think different states are likely to come to different conclusions, and that's appropriate. I don't think there should necessarily be a federal policy in this area.

I try to be open-minded about it as much as I can, and tolerant of those relationships. And like Joe, I also wrestle with the extent to which there ought to be legal sanction of those relationships. I think we ought to do everything we can to tolerate and accommodate whatever kind of relationships people want to enter into.

Transcript of vice-presidential debate, 2000 (Emphasis added)

I looked it up a propos "First Read's" quip today on:

Quote:
Vice President Cheney -- who, last anyone heard, in the vice-presidential debate of 2000, staked about the same position on gay marriage as Kerry.

Keep an eye open on what he'll say this year ...? ;-)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,777 • Replies: 12
No top replies

doglover

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 06:01 pm
Dickiepoo will be a good boy and tote the right wing Christian fundamentalist line per orders from the Commander in Chief Karl Rove. Gotta fatten up the masses and feed them their daily dose of sanctitiy before the election in November.
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 07:45 pm
I think we ought to do everything we can to tolerate and accommodate whatever kind of relationships people want to enter into.

Does that include his lesbian daughter, Mary Cheney and her partner?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 07:51 pm
I'm sure it lead to his opinion.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 06:07 am
Deecups36 wrote:
I think we ought to do everything we can to tolerate and accommodate whatever kind of relationships people want to enter into.

Does that include his lesbian daughter, Mary Cheney and her partner?

You know, it's really gotta piss him off that his daughter is a lesbian. LOL Razz
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 07:08 am
Mary Cheney has an obligation to use her position to influence daddy Dick to stop using the gay community as a wedge issue in an election year. That she hasn't suggests she's no better than her father and mother.

I suppose when you're in line to inherit $100 million, all other concerns fly out the window.

Enjoy life in the closet, Mary.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 07:43 am
To be perfectly honest, if I were in line to inherit 100 million dollars (God that's an obscene amount) I would no doubt keep my mouth shut too.
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 07:49 am
hi doglover- Sure, but as women, presumably straight (I am, and it's none of my business if you are), jsut for the sake of discussion, we have all the rights gay Americans are struggling to achieve.

So it's easy for us to say what you said.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 07:57 am
LOL Dee...I like men way too much to be anything other than straight. I do hope gays will someday enjoy equal rights and I do my part (no matter how small, it's not insignificant) to help them achieve that goal.
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 08:19 am
hi doglover- Me too. I try and speak out positively for gay Americans every day.
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 09:24 am
For $100 million dollars, I could become gay.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 11:36 am
infowarrior wrote:
For $100 million dollars, I could become gay.

LOL info...I don't think 100 million dollars is enough to entice me to go down there. Razz

Although, 100 million dollars would buy a lot of BMW's, beautiful houses, exotic vacations, jewels, etc.
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 12:38 pm
doglover writes: "LOL info...I don't think 100 million dollars is enough to entice me to go down there."

Go down where, doglover? :wink:
0 Replies