CIA head: Cheney almost wishing US be attacked

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 11:37 am
You accuse Walter of being despicable because he posts a news item about what the Director of Central Intelligence has said? Scumbag.
High Seas

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 11:45 am
@Setanta,
Verbatim, Panetta said: ".....it's almost as if he's wishing that this country would be attacked again...."

Not quite the same as the title here, which reads: "....Cheney almost wishing US be attacked...."

Brandon thinks it would be better to provide the verbatim quote: it seems to him as well as to me that the summary (though to me, Walter's good faith isn't in doubt) shifts the emphasis in the alleged statement to Cheney's detriment.
Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 11:54 am
I think you've got a distinction without a difference goin' on there, Darlin' . . . but at all events, i cannot pass over such an unwarranted attack on Walter in silence . . .
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 12:05 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You accuse Walter of being despicable because he posts a news item about what the Director of Central Intelligence has said? Scumbag.

I'll bet you won't tell us how you'd like it if I posted an article quoting someone who accused you of something truly evil and horrible, knowing that it was wild speculation based on nothing.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 12:11 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Setanta wrote:

I'll bet you won't tell us how you'd like it if I posted an article quoting someone who accused you of something truly evil and horrible, knowing that it was wild speculation based on nothing.

It isn't speculation based on nothing; it's based on the nature of Cheney's recent comments and the logical conclusion drawn from them.

Cycloptichorn
engineer

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 12:38 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

It isn't speculation based on nothing; it's based on the nature of Cheney's recent comments and the logical conclusion drawn from them.

But it's still speculation and it's coming from a government official. I think they can refute Cheney's statements without such attacks. Leave those to the talking heads.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 12:41 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

But it's still speculation and it's coming from a government official. I think they can refute Cheney's statements without such attacks. Leave those to the talking heads.

I'm okay with that. But it isn't based on nothing.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 12:43 pm
@High Seas,
Brandon9000 wrote:

You started a thread indicating a desire on someone's part for his own country to be attacked, based on wild guessing and mind-reading, and now complain when someone suggests you provide even a particle of evidence. Despicable.

High Seas wrote:

Verbatim, Panetta said: ".....it's almost as if he's wishing that this country would be attacked again...."

Not quite the same as the title here, which reads: "....Cheney almost wishing US be attacked...."

Brandon thinks it would be better to provide the verbatim quote: it seems to him as well as to me that the summary (though to me, Walter's good faith isn't in doubt) shifts the emphasis in the alleged statement to Cheney's detriment.

Well, thanks for those two kind responses.

I must admit that I stole the thread's title. It's identical with that of a couple of US-newspapers.

The [New London] [Daily on the frontpage:
http://i42.tinypic.com/2jd2vxz.jpg

The [Chicago] Sun-Times on page 22
http://i43.tinypic.com/2hhoais.jpg

Another "liberal" paper, the [Boston] Herald on page 2:
http://i39.tinypic.com/5yt7yf.jpg

And the most "left-wing", the Washington Times headlines on page 8
http://i43.tinypic.com/2qm3pzb.jpg

At least 47 other US-papers have at similar headlines.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 12:44 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I'm neither a government official nor even an US-citizen.

I am just a stupid European quoting from US papers.
High Seas

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 01:03 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Please update your reading of the US papers -
Panetta may have been misquoted, Cheney is asking for a clarification, and McCain made the following statement:
Quote:
"I disagreed with the Cheney policy on interrogation techniques, but never did it cross my mind that Dick Cheney would ever want an attack on the United States of America," the former GOP presidential candidate told FOX News Monday. "And it's unfair, and I think that Mr. Panetta should retract, and retract immediately.

"By the way, I hear morale is not at an all-time high over at the CIA under Mr. Panetta's leadership," he said.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/06/15/cheney-hopes-panetta-misquoted-claiming-vp-wishes-attack/
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 01:06 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Setanta wrote:

Cycloptichorn

When someone says that there is a danger which we ought to pay attention to, how does that imply that he wants the danger to be fulfilled so that he can look correct? Find me any recent quotation from Cheney which indicates that he wants America to be attacked.
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 01:07 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

You started a thread indicating a desire on someone's part for his own country to be attacked, based on wild guessing and mind-reading, and now complain when someone suggests you provide even a particle of evidence. Despicable.

High Seas wrote:

Well, thanks for those two kind responses.

I must admit that I stole the thread's title. It's identical with that of a couple of US-newspapers.

The [New London] [Daily on the frontpage:
http://i42.tinypic.com/2jd2vxz.jpg

The [Chicago] Sun-Times on page 22
http://i43.tinypic.com/2hhoais.jpg

Another "liberal" paper, the [Boston] Herald on page 2:
http://i39.tinypic.com/5yt7yf.jpg

And the most "left-wing", the Washington Times headlines on page 8
http://i43.tinypic.com/2qm3pzb.jpg

At least 47 other US-papers have at similar headlines.

You posted a quotation which accuses a person of great evil, based on the wildest guesswork.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 01:10 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

You posted a quotation which accuses a person of great evil, based on the wildest guesswork.

And? That's against what law, by-law, convention?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 01:10 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:

When someone says that there is a danger which we ought to pay attention to, how does that imply that he wants the danger to be fulfilled so that he can look correct? Find me any recent quotation from Cheney which indicates that he wants America to be attacked.

No. I am not beholden to you to hunt up quotes from Dick Cheney. If you don't want to see the obvious logical path of his recent statements, that's your call. Doesn't matter to me.

Cycloptichorn
Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 01:11 pm
And that title attributes the accuser--get over yourself, Mr. Righteous Indignation. This is as bad as your "they're doing to cut off all our heads" hysteria. Lighten up.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 05:21 pm
@engineer,
[quote...but I don't know why this getting any press.[/quote]

Really?

First of all because Panetta is now the Director of the CIA and not just another political hack.

Secondly, because it is a story the biased media can't resist reporting because it supports their presumption that Dick Cheney is an evil old f*ck.

The story should be about why the CIA Director is wading into political waters.

No one should want a partisan director of the CIA or the FBI.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 06:49 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Setanta wrote:

I have learned through bitter lessons that Setanta can never be wrong. If he ever was wrong I believe the Gods of A2K have given him a dispensation to never having to admit any wrongness. May I get up from this deep bow now?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 06:52 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

engineer wrote:

I'm neither a government official nor even an US-citizen.

I am just a stupid European quoting from US papers.

Ah, but is the result poisoning the proverbial well? Gee, who was always accused of that ubermensch?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 06:54 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:

I'll be happy to tell you. I don't believe in shooting the messenger. If you posted a news item which contained invidious accusations which were wild speculation based on nothing, i'd have a grudge against whomever had published the article, not you.

Once again, get over yourself, Mr. Righteous Indignation.
Foofie

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 06:55 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

And? That's against what law, by-law, convention?

Not a question of legality. A question of ethics!
0 Replies