Cheney Snippy Over Powell Remarks

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 10:32 am
Powell has left the Republican Party, former Vice President Dick Cheney charged Sunday.

Cheney had tough words for the Bush administration's former secretary of state when asked about the controversy over Powell's recent suggestion that the GOP move more to the center. He was asked specifically about conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh's call for Powell to join the Democrats.

"I think my take on it was Colin had already left the party. I didn't know he was still a Republican," Cheney said on CBS' "Face the Nation."

Asked to clarify, Cheney noted that Powell endorsed Barack Obama, a Democrat, for president shortly before the general election.

"I assumed that that is some indication of his loyalty and his interest," Cheney said.

Limbaugh criticized Powell last week for saying the Republican Party is in trouble and needs to be more moderate, urging Powell to officially switch parties. Powell had also said divisive figures like Limbaugh are hurting the party.

Asked which spokesman better stands for the GOP, Cheney said he'd go with Limbaugh over Powell.

But he said he doesn't have any problem with Republicans -- like former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney -- who are trying to broaden the appeal of the party.

"I don't have any problem with that. I think that's a good thing to do," Cheney said.

The former vice president warned that the party should not move "dramatically to the left" in order to redefine its base.

"We are what we are. We're Republicans, and we have certain things we believe in," Cheney said

Debra Law

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 11:18 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
. . . Asked which spokesman better stands for the GOP, Cheney said he'd go with Limbaugh over Powell.

But he said he doesn't have any problem with Republicans -- like former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney -- who are trying to broaden the appeal of the party. . . .

ROFL. Cheney alleges that Jeb Bush and Mitt Romney are trying to broaden the appeal of the party? Aren't they merely recycling the worn out GOP message that the voters rejected last fall?

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/?searchterm=%22lost+party%22

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 11:44 am
funny thing to say, they basically drove him out of the party after setting him up in that "here's our case for war" sideshow at the un
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 12:40 pm
@djjd62,
I hope Cheneys kidneys fail too.
BillRM

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 01:29 pm
@farmerman,
NO NO we need them around driving more and more people out of their own party.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 03:17 pm
There is little that gives me more pleasure than seeing some hard core jerk like cheney....or any of the right wing assholes that populate these boards and the world get snippy, which is a perfect word for it. they comport themselves in a way that makes it obvious they consider themselves tougher and more manly that pussy liberals who don't support or condone saber rattling and posing and yet when that attitude is not effective or productive for them, when they can't steamroll their way across folks with it... they revert to prissy, sissy, holier than thou posturing which serves to emasculate them at their own hands quite effectively.

It's a beautiful thing to behold.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 03:32 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Sing it, brother.
Raamen.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 03:34 pm
Part of me thinks, well, keep it up, Darth... you're doing fine.

but, I do think we need one or more strong parties to vie with incumbents.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 03:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
Politically speaking, would it be truer to say Powell stayed the same, and the Republican Party moved to the right?

I'd have thought he was already well out of step when in the Bush Cabinet?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 05:01 pm
who cares what dick cheney thinks...
0 Replies