Poor Poor Rush

timberlandko

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 10:41 am
No carpet bombing has taken place anywhere on the planet since the Vietnam war. That Iraq still has cities and citizens is irrefutable evidence of US restraint. Iraq, and Agghanistan, have been relieved of regimes which not only repressed their peoples but destroyed artifacts and icons of theit cultures. Both nations now are free to rebuild and continue their cultures in such manner as freely elected representational governments, when, and as certainly will be, established, may see fit, as opposed to remaining under the heels of inhuman despots. Bush may avere a religious faith, and find in it validation for his position, but has never asserted he was "Called upon by God" to do anything.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 10:45 am
I see we must agree to disagree....time, the ultimate irrefutable judge, will tell who of us is right.......meanwhile an 1800 for you? Up or rocks?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 11:18 am
Straight up'll do, BPB, and I'll get the next one.

Monger, you may be right (edit ... though the post to which I'm responding appears to have been stricken from the face of the earth Laughing )... I think maybe I do recall something of that nature. Still, I don't see Bush as a new Phillip Barbarosa, Cross-Bedecked and exhorting his Christian Armies to follow him into battle with the heathen infidel. Old Phil, BTW, never made it to The Holy Land; he fell off his horse while in full parade armor, while fording a stream, and drowned before he could be rescued Laughing
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 11:31 am
Oh sorry I'd deleted my post before Timber responded, because I was just paraphrasing from fuzzy memory (and it turns out I was fairly off), but anyway here ya go I tracked down the article I'd mentioned. Newsweek: Bush and God

Here's the bit I was remembering from there..
Quote:
The presidential campaign was Texas on a grander scale. As he prepared to run, in 1999, Bush assembled leading pastors at the governor's mansion for a "laying-on of hands," and told them he'd been "called" to seek higher office.

But yeah I generally agree with you here. Bush, it should be remembered, has gone to great lengths to reassure Muslims that he admires their religion.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 11:39 am
May I suggest that no one has a better understanding of, or a stronger belief in God than Satan.

The invocation of and understanding of God is not necessarily a virtue of any kind.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 11:46 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
The invocation of and understanding of God is not necessarily a virtue of any kind.

I strongly agree BPB, but just as a minor note neither Timber nor I nor anyone else here has suggested the opposite.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 11:54 am
Oh yeah I know...I just noticed from that Newsweek article as an exampe that GWB likes to allude to God and his apparent special relationship with him.....just a side comment....
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 07:00 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Oh yeah I know...I just noticed from that Newsweek article as an exampe that GWB likes to allude to God and his apparent special relationship with him.....just a side comment....

Sooo....which one of them is the top, and which one the bottom? Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 07:38 pm
hobitbob wrote:
Sooo....which one of them is the top, and which one the bottom? Evil or Very Mad

Why, how utterly reprehensible of you to cast aspersions upon those of alternate sexual proclivity by associating them with such base and contemptible charicatures as politicians and deities! May you be visited by hordes of Gregorian-chanting, studded-leather-clad, flail-brandishing malcontnents of indeteriminate gender and injurious intent! Twisted Evil Laughing :wink:
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 07:44 pm
timberlandko wrote:

Why, how utterly reprehensible of you to cast aspersions upon those of alternate sexual proclivity by associating them with such base and contemptible charicatures as politicians and deities! May you be visited by hordes of Gregorian-chanting, studded-leather-clad, flail-brandishing malcontnents of indeteriminate gender and injurious intent! Twisted Evil Laughing :wink:

Promise? Very Happy
(hmmm...wait, sounds like Saturday night at the Catwalk in Seattle, or Club Orpheus in Baltimore! Wink )
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 07:48 pm
timber you silver tongued devil you......
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 07:50 pm
Will you guys excuse me while I go take a cold shower? Wink
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 10:51 am
Based simply on my experience in reading history and literature from many centuries, i'd go along with Timber on this one. The number of nut-case fanatics on either end of the political spectrum is likley the same. If there is a difference (and i do not contend that there is), it would likely arise from a broadcaster's estimation of the size of the audience which can be reached with a particular brand of crackpot message.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 04:11 pm
yes but it seems that the right wing nutcases have a better funded venue.
Even though I like his style, I think Paul Krugman is on something like Hillbilly H too.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 05:27 pm
as i understand it Rush is seeking treatment at an undisclosed location (anywhere near Cheney?) while his provider will be looking at prison time.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 05:32 pm
Hi dys! Laughing
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 05:34 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 06:02 pm
Timber, I agree that the extremists on both ends of the spectrum come from the same mold, but those on the right do tend to have greater exposure on television and, unfortunately, far too many people believe most of what they see on TV.

As for religion, the Conservatives have it all over the Liberals:

Here is a link to an article about General Boykin, just appointed by Rumsfeld to the number three position in The Department of Defense--(I think it is Deputy Director of Intelligence).

http://www.modbee.com/opinion/story/7619247p-8526519c.html

A couple of excerpts:

He has praised the leadership of President Bush, whom he extolled as "a man who prays in the Oval Office." "George Bush was not elected by a majority of the voters in the United States," Boykin told an Oregon congregation. "He was appointed by God."

In a church in daytona, FL., Boykin mentioned a lieutenant of Mohammed Farah Aidid who said, "They'll never get me because Allah will protect me. Allah will protect me."

"Well, you know what?" Boykin continued. "I knew that my God was bigger than his. I knew that my God was a real God and his was an idol." Atto later was captured.

This isn't light-weight celebrity blathering, this is enormous power in the hands of a zealot. His words sound depressingly like those of Bin Laden.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 03:54 pm
Quote:
October 22, 2003
Rush Limbaugh vs. Oxycontin Sentences

A BUZZFLASH READER COMMENTARY

Buzz,

In response this letter, in the 10-21-03 Mailbag:

Perhaps someone with the know-how can do this. Track down the sentence given to average people who have done what limbaugh has. In the unlikely event he gets taken to court we can compare the treatment. So far it looks like he won't be charged at all. I'd like to hear what has happened to others in his shoes.

Phil Rowland
South Pasadena, CA

I just did a Google search for "sentenced possession oxycontin" -- you might be surprised to see some of these sentences (many are both for possession and "with intent to distribute," which is a common charge when large amounts of contraband are found. Certainly dealing in "thousands of pills, over several years," like Rush did, would involve this charge, as well as simple possession):

Just a few, from "about 1,210" search results:

"BROOKS and RUSSELL each face a statutory maximum sentence of 60 years imprisonment, and a fine of up to $6,000,000. They are scheduled to be sentenced on November 25, 2003 at 2:30 p.m. at the federal courthouse in Abingdon."

"BARTON faces a statutory mandatory minimum penalty of 80 years in prison up to a maximum penalty of life in prison and fines of up to $3 million when he is sentenced November 10. ALALUSI faces a statutory maximum penalty of up to 20 years in prison and fines of up to $1 million when she is sentenced November 3."

"He also was sentenced to 21 years and 10 months in prison for illegal acquisition and distribution of OxyContin." Tuesday, September 2, 2003

"A federal jury Thursday convicted Lockwood resident Jack Glendale Standley on two charges that he distributed OxyContin, a strong prescription painkiller, but acquitted him of two other drug counts. Standley, 72, faces up to 30 years in prison and a $2 million fine on the distribution convictions."

Any bets on what Rush will get (besides truckloads of "sympathy and compassion")? HAH!!

Anyone wishing to "Speed Rush's retirement" might want to demand his immediate termination, by sending an email to Mr. Lowry Mays, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Clear Channel Communications [email protected], parent company of Premiere Radio Networks, Inc. 15260 Ventura Blvd. 5th Floor, Sherman Oaks, CA 91403 (Rush's employer - no email address found, but a postal letter would be effective)

Also, I told Mr. Mays that unless and until Rush was terminated that I, and many others, would be boycotting all their advertisers.

nerdeaux in Idyho

A BUZZFLASH READER COMMENTARY

http://www.buzzflash.com/contributors/03/10/con03221.html

We shall see...............
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 03:59 pm
ah ha Clear Channel, damn i shoulda guessed that. the only thing clear channel worships besides right wing nuts is the $. boycots could make a real difference.
0 Replies