Guns: how much longer will it take ....

McGentrix

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 10:40 pm
@sceletera,
sceletera wrote:

McGentrix wrote:

Have you given a definition of what an "Assault weapon" is? The standard definition would be a fully automatic weapon capable of firing more than a single bullet with each pull of the trigger.

The Federal Assault Weapons ban listed specific weapons by name.

See my previous post.

Assault style weapon may be a better phrase if you prefer that. A weapon designed to look and function like a current military style weapon other than it doesn't have a fully automatic capability would seem to fit that definition. A semi automatic hunting rifle from the 1960's would hardly be classified as an assault style weapon. Or we could use the phrase often used by police officers and gun enthusiasts ; "tactical weapons." I think we can agree that the guns were originally designed to be used in war against human targets.

I think a lot of the misunderstandings exist from the 1994 "Federal Assault Weapon Ban" where things like a pistol grip, suppressor (silencer), high capacity clips and rate of fire.

"Assault weapon" is a politically motivated word that was unheard of before the late 80's. An "assault rifle" was a military weapon that could shoot fully-automatic (a machine gun). That was the definition and cosmetics had nothing to do with it. If it was capable of firing more than one bullet per trigger pull then it was an assault rifle. If not, it wasn't. A semi-automatic rifle is not an assault weapon, it is a semi-automatic rifle.

So, that is where the issues can arise whenever someone brings up assault weapons. Let me give you an example of 2 rifles:

https://ruger.com/products/mini14RanchRifle/images/5802.jpg

https://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/948/948821.jpg

Which of these is an assault rifle?
McGentrix

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 10:47 pm
@Baldimo,
To be fair, the M-16 doesn't have a rifled barrel and an AR-15 does. That is why the M-16 bullet tumbles and bounces around while an AR-15 has a tight spiral.
Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 11:37 pm
@McGentrix,
This is purest bullshit. Hitler coined the term assault rifle (sturmgewehr) in the 1940s. Although slow to recognize the value of such weapons, the U. S. Army's M14, from 1961 onward, filled that role. It was, of course, succeeded by the M16.

Assault rifle was politicized as a term by the lickspittle devotees of the NRA. It has long been used in professional armies.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 11:55 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

This is purest bullshit. Hitler coined the term assault rifle (sturmgewehr) in the 1940s. Although slow to recognize the value of such weapons, the U. S. Army's M14, from 1961 onward, filled that role. It was, of course, succeeded by the M16.

Assault rifle was politicized as a term by the lickspittle devotees of the NRA. It has long been used in professional armies.

You didn't read what I wrote. You are reacting to what you think I wrote.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 12:13 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
"Assault weapon" is a politically motivated word that was unheard of before the late 80's. An "assault rifle" was a military weapon that could shoot fully-automatic (a machine gun). That was the definition and cosmetics had nothing to do with it. If it was capable of firing more than one bullet per trigger pull then it was an assault rifle. If not, it wasn't. A semi-automatic rifle is not an assault weapon, it is a semi-automatic rifle.

This is what you wrote, and it's bullshit.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 12:34 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

McGentrix wrote:

This is what you wrote, and it's bullshit.

Yep, I don't see you pointing out what the bull **** is. Do you have some evidence that "assault weapon" was used before the late 1980's? "Assault rifle", as I wrote, was commonly used to refer to an automatic rifle. Do you have evidence where a semi-automatic rifle was referred to as an "assault rifle" by the military? (You could quibble about other features, but this is about auto vs semi for now.)

You come at with a **** post bitching about " Hitler coined the term assault rifle (sturmgewehr) in the 1940s. Although slow to recognize the value of such weapons, the U. S. Army's M14, from 1961 onward, filled that role. It was, of course, succeeded by the M16." basically agreeing with what I said but being hostile about it.

Where is the Bullshit Setanta? The only thing that smells is your previous post.
Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 12:45 am
@McGentrix,
What stinks to high heaven is your crap which attempts to make your case through a feeble word game. The term assault rifle has been in use since the 1940s. You want to insist that you have some god-like power to define terms, and that's all you've got to support your case.
oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 06:44 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
I think a lot of the misunderstandings exist from the 1994 "Federal Assault Weapon Ban" where things like a pistol grip, suppressor (silencer), high capacity clips and rate of fire.

Suppressor in the context of assault weapons legislation doesn't mean silencer. Silencers are covered under the 1934 National Firearms Act.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_suppressor

Another one where the gun control people have sowed confusion is the grenade launcher attachment.

Grenade launcher in the context of assault weapons legislation doesn't mean those tubes under the barrel (those are covered under the 1934 National Firearms Act). It means an attachment for balancing a shell on the end of the barrel and launching it on a high arcing trajectory by firing a blank through the rifle.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifle_grenade

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/86/DSCF0140.21.jpg
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 06:45 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Assault rifle was politicized as a term by the lickspittle devotees of the NRA.

Actually it was the gun control people who politicized it. The NRA certainly isn't responsible for "assault weapons" legislation.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 06:46 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
What stinks to high heaven is your crap which attempts to make your case through a feeble word game.

Hold on here. The only feeble word game comes from the gun control camp, when they use the term "assault weapon" to describe weapons that are semi‑auto‑only.

Setanta wrote:
You want to insist that you have some god-like power to define terms, and that's all you've got to support your case.

He is correct that the original term included weapons that are capable of full‑auto or burst fire.

The only people who presumed to define the term are the gun control people, when they started using the term to refer to guns that are semi‑auto‑only.
0 Replies

sceletera

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 07:15 am
@oralloy,
The law banned some weapons that were classified as pistols. It didn't ban them because they had pistol grips.
oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 07:16 am
@sceletera,
True. But I don't see the point.

Is this just more trivia?
0 Replies

sceletera

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 07:31 am
@Baldimo,
Quote:
I do admit that, why do you think I wouldn't want to be left armed only with a bolt action rifle in the event we ever have to fight against our govt, the 2nd Amendment doesn't mention specific guns because of what you just mentioned, it's why there is no mention of hunting or sport shooting.

So clearly you think some guns are more effective for killing and maiming people than others. We can agree on that.

Now it is a question of whether we can identify those weapons and whether we should try to restrict them in some fashion so that they are not in the hands of civilians.
oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 07:38 am
@sceletera,
sceletera wrote:
So clearly you think some guns are more effective for killing and maiming people than others. We can agree on that.

Now it is a question of whether we can identify those weapons

We can. They can even be described in just four words: Rifles with large magazines.

Assault weapons features, on the other hand, have exactly zero to do with how deadly a gun is.

sceletera wrote:
and whether we should try to restrict them in some fashion so that they are not in the hands of civilians.

Civilians have the right to have rifles.

You could limit magazine size within limits, but not to the extent that self-defense is harmed.
0 Replies

sceletera

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 07:42 am
@oralloy,
You keep claiming the law focuses on pistol grips.

The law only mentions pistol grip 3 times.
It mentions assault weapon 20 times.
It mentions rifle 11 times.
It mentions semiautomatic 24 times.
It mentions firearms 10 times.
It mentions pistol without being followed by "grip" 3 times.

For a law that you claim "focuses" on pistol grips they don't seem to spend a lot of time talking about them.
The mention more variations of the Tec-9 pistol than they do pistol grips.

Simply based on the number of times words are used, one would have to say the law focuses on semiautomatic 8 times more than it does pistol grips.

Here is the first section of the law that cites what weapons are covered.
Quote:
To make unlawful the transfer or possession of assault weapons.

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

May 10 (legislative day, MAY 2), 1994

Received and read the first time

May 16, 1994

Read the second time and placed on the calendar

AN ACT

To make unlawful the transfer or possession of assault weapons.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the ‘Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act’.
SEC. 2. RESTRICTION ON MANUFACTURE, TRANSFER, AND POSSESSION OF CERTAIN SEMIAUTOMATIC ASSAULT WEAPONS.
(a) RESTRICTION- Section 922 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:
‘(v)(1) It shall be unlawful for a person to manufacture, transfer, or possess a semiautomatic assault weapon.
‘(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to the possession or transfer of any semiautomatic assault weapon otherwise lawfully possessed on the date of the enactment of this subsection.
‘(3) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to--
‘(A) any of the firearms, or replicas or duplicates of the firearms, specified in Appendix A to this section, as such firearms were manufactured on October 1, 1993;
‘(B) any firearm that--
‘(i) is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action;
‘(ii) has been rendered permanently inoperable; or
‘(iii) is an antique firearm;
‘(C) any semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than 5 rounds of ammunition; or
‘(D) any semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than 5 rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine.
The fact that a firearm is not listed in Appendix A shall not be construed to mean that paragraph (1) applies to such firearm. No firearm exempted by this subsection may be deleted from Appendix A so long as this Act is in effect.
‘(4) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to--
‘(A) the United States or a department or agency of the United States or a State or a department, agency, or political subdivision of a State;
‘(B) the transfer of a semiautomatic assault weapon by a licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, or licensed dealer to an entity referred to in subparagraph (A) or to a law enforcement officer authorized by such an entity to purchase firearms for official use;
‘(C) the possession, by an individual who is retired from service with a law enforcement agency and is not otherwise prohibited from receiving a firearm, of a semiautomatic assault weapon transferred to the individual by the agency upon such retirement; or
‘(D) the manufacture, transfer, or possession of a semiautomatic assault weapon by a licensed manufacturer or licensed importer for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Secretary.’.
(b) DEFINITION OF SEMIAUTOMATIC ASSAULT WEAPON- Section 921(a) of such title is amended by adding at the end the following:
‘(30) The term ‘semiautomatic assault weapon’ means--
‘(A) any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the firearms, known as--
‘(i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models);
‘(ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;
‘(iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70);
‘(iv) Colt AR-15;
‘(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;
‘(vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;
‘(vii) Steyr AUG;
‘(viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and
‘(ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;
‘(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
‘(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
‘(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
‘(iii) a bayonet mount;
‘(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
‘(v) a grenade launcher;
‘(C) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
‘(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
‘(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
‘(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
‘(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
‘(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and
‘(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--
‘(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
‘(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
‘(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
‘(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.’.
(c) PENALTIES-
(1) VIOLATION OF SECTION 922(v)- Section 924(a)(1)(B) of such title is amended by striking ‘or (q) of section 922’ and inserting ‘(r), or (v) of section 922’.
(2) USE OR POSSESSION DURING CRIME OF VIOLENCE OR DRUG TRAFFICKING CRIME- Section 924(c)(1) of such title is amended in the first sentence by inserting ‘, or semiautomatic assault weapon,’ after ‘short-barreled shotgun,’.
(d) IDENTIFICATION MARKINGS FOR SEMIAUTOMATIC ASSAULT WEAPONS- Section 923(i) of such title is amended by adding at the end the following: ‘The serial number of any semiautomatic assault weapon manufactured after the date of the enactment of this sentence shall clearly show the date on which the weapon was manufactured.’.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 07:48 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

What stinks to high heaven is your crap which attempts to make your case through a feeble word game. The term assault rifle has been in use since the 1940s. You want to insist that you have some god-like power to define terms, and that's all you've got to support your case.

Are you really so dense that you can't understand that the words "weapon" and "rifle" are different? Can you tell me what an assault knife is? A knife is a weapon, but not a rifle. How about an assault rock? A rock can be a weapon, but is certainly no rifle.

Do you not see what an ass you are making of yourself? Words have definitions for a reason. Maybe you should have someone read to you what I wrote so you can understand it. Maybe get some help with the basics of reading comprehension. Check you meds too, you seem off.
oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 07:49 am
@sceletera,
sceletera wrote:

That is because pistol grips on rifles are the feature that most of the fuss is about.

I've also repeatedly said that other features are banned as well, and there is also no justification for banning those other features.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 08:18 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

sceletera wrote:

That is because pistol grips on rifles are the feature that most of the fuss is about.

I've also repeatedly said that other features are banned as well, and there is also no justification for banning those other features.

I do believe you have written "pistol grip" here more than a person writing about the history of pistol grips.

I think the fuss is about the frustration people have with mass shootings. Problem is that they want to treat a symptom and not the cause. Banning guns, any guns, will not stop mass killings. Crazy people are going to be crazy with whatever instrument of lethality they choose.

One of the downfalls of living in a free society is that we are ALL free. That is why we have police and FBI and sheriffs and other law enforcement agencies. Some people go outside the boundaries set by society and need to be brought back in. Treating everyone like a criminal, though, will not work either. That is what gun control does. It assumes everyone is a criminal and a free person, living in a free society, I would rather the government did not curtail my freedoms until such time as I break a law. I'd prefer to be treated as an innocent citizen.
oralloy

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 08:29 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
I do believe you have written "pistol grip" here more than a person writing about the history of pistol grips.

One of the pitfalls of being in an argument over pistol grips.

McGentrix wrote:
I think the fuss is about the frustration people have with mass shootings. Problem is that they want to treat a symptom and not the cause.

I wouldn't even call pistol grips a symptom. They are totally unrelated to the issue of mass killings.

McGentrix wrote:
Banning guns, any guns, will not stop mass killings. Crazy people are going to be crazy with whatever instrument of lethality they choose.

Very true. But banning pistol grips would be even more useless than a ban on functional features.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 11:51 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
To be fair, the M-16 doesn't have a rifled barrel and an AR-15 does. That is why the M-16 bullet tumbles and bounces around while an AR-15 has a tight spiral.

I'm not sure where you received your info, but the M-16 does indeed have a rifled barrel, almost ALL modern day rifles have rifling in them. The "tumble" I was referring to dealt with how the bullet reacted when it hit an enemy, the light weight 5.56 round is meant to bounce around in the body and not punch through like the heavier 7.62 round.