Guns: how much longer will it take ....

maporsche

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 09:26 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

maporsche wrote:
Guns could be designed to accept magazines limited to 5-10 shots, and no more.

If a gun can accept a detachable magazine, it is possible to make a detachable magazine that will fit it that has more than 10 shots.

The only way to do it is to restrict the sizes of detachable magazines.

A gun can be designed to accept and only accept 5 round magazines.
revelette1

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 10:04 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
The only way to do it is to restrict the sizes of detachable magazines

Then restrict the sizes of the magazines so that guns can't shoot more than five or ten rounds at a time. I think ten is excessive, but, I am trying to think of a defensive situation where you would need that many bullets at one time, I am coming up blank but I am sure it is possible.
revelette1

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 10:12 am
@Glennn,
I was responding to the following statement:

Quote:
ALL guns that are capable of accepting detachable magazines, are capable of accepting a detachable magazine greater than 10 rounds.

So I said, in response to that ban magazines capable of accepting greater than 10 rounds, which if the above is true, then yes, ban magazines.

But then Oralloy said it could be done if you change the size of the magazine where they are not capable of handling more than 10 rounds. (words to that effect) If that is so, I say do it, ban the sizes of magazine capable of accepting greater than ten rounds.
Glennn

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 10:14 am
@maporsche,
Quote:

And of course a potential mass shooter wouldn't dream of carrying several magazines.
coldjoint

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 10:18 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
Some hunters will not be happy, put that against saving lives,

Hunters have nothing to do with evil and crazy. Screwing with their guns will not stop either.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 10:48 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:

And of course a potential mass shooter wouldn't dream of carrying several magazines.

Magazines could be designed to take 1-2 minutes to change.

1-2 minutes to shoot 5 shots out of a high powered rifle would allow a lot of time for potential victims to escape or for police to enter.

oralloy

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 10:53 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

How do you prevent someone from designing a larger magazine to fit that gun?
oralloy

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 10:54 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
Then restrict the sizes of the magazines so that guns can't shoot more than five or ten rounds at a time. I think ten is excessive, but, I am trying to think of a defensive situation where you would need that many bullets at one time, I am coming up blank but I am sure it is possible.

Need ten round magazines for handguns. Handgun rounds are not nearly as effective as rifle rounds. When you factor in multiple shots per attacker, multiple attackers, and missed shots, you can get to ten rounds very easily.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 10:57 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
But then Oralloy said it could be done if you change the size of the magazine where they are not capable of handling more than 10 rounds. (words to that effect) If that is so, I say do it, ban the sizes of magazine capable of accepting greater than ten rounds.

Making them covered by the 1934 National Firearms Act will take them out of general circulation without outright banning them.

Although we should keep in mind that the NRA will never allow any of this to happen.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 10:59 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I doubt that. And if so it would be stepping on self defense capabilities.

Would you be willing to impose the same restrictions on police weapons?
maporsche

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 11:00 am
@oralloy,
C’mon. You can think of several ways around this. I’m not even an engineer and I can.

Rounds could be loaded into the gun itself (like a shotgun).
Magazines could be designed to go inside of a gun and not just attach to the bottom of a gun.
Guns could be designed to only fire 5 shots before requiring a magazine to be removed.

Tons of options here.

maporsche

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 11:01 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

maporsche wrote:

I doubt that. And if so it would be stepping on self defense capabilities.

Would you be willing to impose the same restrictions on police weapons?

I’d impose it on high powered semi-automatic rifles sold to the public. Other options besides a long gun exist for self defense.
oralloy

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 11:27 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
C’mon. You can think of several ways around this. I’m not even an engineer and I can.

Rounds could be loaded into the gun itself (like a shotgun).
Magazines could be designed to go inside of a gun and not just attach to the bottom of a gun.
Guns could be designed to only fire 5 shots before requiring a magazine to be removed.

Tons of options here.

The only option that will pass muster is a simple restriction on the size of detachable magazines.
oralloy

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 11:28 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
I’d impose it on high powered semi-automatic rifles sold to the public. Other options besides a long gun exist for self defense.

Handguns are not nearly as effective. People have the right to defend themselves with rifles.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 11:39 am
things are still moving forward

Quote:
Berkshire Bank has announced that they will no longer provide financing to Sig Sauer, the maker of Semi-automatic rifles.
maporsche

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 11:44 am
@oralloy,
I disagree.

These changes would pass constitutional muster.

A “revolver” feature would also. They already sell revolver-style rifles.
maporsche

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 11:51 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Quote:
Berkshire Bank has announced that they will no longer provide financing to Sig Sauer, the maker of Semi-automatic rifles.

This is promising.

Public pressure may force the NRA and gun manufacturers to the table. And if not, then maybe make the price of firearms more expensive which will reduce sales.
oralloy

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 11:52 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
I disagree.
These changes would pass constitutional muster.
A “revolver” feature would also. They already sell revolver-style rifles.

No. Self defense requires at least five round detachable rifle magazines and ten round detachable pistol magazines. The courts are not going to allow you to cripple people's self defense rights.
maporsche

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 11:56 am
@oralloy,
And what law, or SC decision is that written in?
oralloy

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 11:57 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
Quote:

This is promising.

Seems pretty pointless to me. Probably more police carry Sigs than civilians.

And whatever this financing is, I'm sure that Sig can survive without it.

maporsche wrote:
Public pressure may force the NRA and gun manufacturers to the table. And if not, then maybe make the price of firearms more expensive which will reduce sales.

What sort of table were you hoping to force the NRA to?

At any rate, no one is going to force them anywhere.

Hard to see how it will make guns more expensive. People will just buy from dedicated gun stores.