Guns: how much longer will it take ....

oralloy

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2018 04:54 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
I doubt he will be willing to concede. I doubt there is more frustrating poster than Oralloy. He gets a fixation in his head and he just goes on with it until you want to scream or make yourself quit trying to argue with him.

Instead of getting frustrated that I won't start denying reality, you could always start accepting reality.

You've posted articles confirming that I'm right. Are you now rejecting what you know is reality simply because I am the one who is defending it?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2018 04:56 pm
@sceletera,
sceletera wrote:
The Fourth Circuit Appeals court held the law was Constitutional by a 10-4 ruling.

Appeal to authority.
oralloy

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2018 04:58 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
For the purpose of the gun debate, since it seems there are different definitions of what constitutes an assault weapons, I think the term should be based on the Ohio definition.

Quote:
The Ohio bill defines an assault weapon as "an automatic firearm that has not been rendered permanently inoperable, a semi-automatic firearm capable of accepting a detachable magazine with the capacity to accept ten or more cartridges, and a semi-automatic firearm with a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept ten or more cartridges."

ALL guns that are capable of accepting detachable magazines, are capable of accepting a detachable magazine greater than 10 rounds.

The hunters will not be happy about you trying to ban their semi-auto hunting rifles.

revelette1 wrote:
Forget the pistol grip which is only important in oralloy's mind,

I'm not the one who causes the gun banners to devote all of their energy to trying to ban pistol grips for no good reason.
sceletera

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2018 05:02 pm
@oralloy,
That is just your logical fallacy which completely ignores the words of the law and the rulings of the courts.

When it comes to laws, it is the legislation and the court rulings that matter.
sceletera

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2018 05:04 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

sceletera wrote:
The Fourth Circuit Appeals court held the law was Constitutional by a 10-4 ruling.

Appeal to authority.

No. It isn't an appeal to authority.

The courts are making legal rulings. Those legal rulings have the rule of law.
oralloy

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2018 05:07 pm
@sceletera,
sceletera wrote:
You are arguing that citing a case decided by the courts is a faulty argument because it is an appeal to authority? Is that correct?

Yes.

sceletera wrote:
Are you really arguing that the courts are not tasked with deciding constitutionality?

No.
oralloy

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2018 05:09 pm
@sceletera,
sceletera wrote:
That is just your logical fallacy

Facts that prove you wrong are not logical fallacies.

sceletera wrote:
which completely ignores the words of the law

That is incorrect. Pistol grips were indeed at the center of that law.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2018 05:10 pm
@sceletera,
sceletera wrote:
No. It isn't an appeal to authority.

Yes it is.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2018 05:33 pm
@sceletera,
Quote:

When it comes to laws, it is the legislation and the court rulings that matter.

The Supreme court is not on your side, and hopefully will stay that way.
oralloy

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2018 05:41 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
The Supreme court is not on your side, and hopefully will stay that way.

Actually at the moment we only have four votes in favor of enforcing the Second Amendment. That liberal Kennedy bailed on us.

But with three liberal justices growing quite old, hopefully soon Trump will be able to appoint more justices.
maporsche

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2018 05:59 pm
@oralloy,
Hopefully the Republicans lose the Senate and maybe the SC replacement pick could be held for the next election....I guess that’s allowed now.
oralloy

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2018 06:08 pm
@maporsche,
I wouldn't think the Democrats would want to keep starting fights like this. But knowing them, they probably never learn.

It wouldn't matter anyway. The Republicans will hold the White House for the next 19 years.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2018 06:13 pm
@oralloy,
19 years? That is outstanding, another Democrat in power will destroy this country.
0 Replies

sceletera

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2018 07:01 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

sceletera wrote:
You are arguing that citing a case decided by the courts is a faulty argument because it is an appeal to authority? Is that correct?

Yes.

sceletera wrote:
Are you really arguing that the courts are not tasked with deciding constitutionality?

No.

Since the courts are tasked with deciding constitutionality of laws, citing their decisions can not be an appeal to authority.

You have now devolved into the argument from repetition fallacy combined with the ipse dixit fallacy.
oralloy

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2018 08:01 pm
@sceletera,
sceletera wrote:
Since the courts are tasked with deciding constitutionality of laws, citing their decisions can not be an appeal to authority.

Yes it can.

sceletera wrote:
You have now devolved into the argument from repetition fallacy

http://logfall.wordpress.com/argument-from-repetition/
Quote:
Definition
When it is claimed that, because no one cares to discuss your position with you any longer after repeated rehashing of the same arguments, that your position is correct.

Example
I’ve been arguing with my wife for 20 years about my gambling habit. She finally stopped arguing with me, demonstrating that she finally admits to the virtue of gambling.

I have not committed that fallacy. If you were to stop arguing with me, that would not be the reason why I am correct.

I'm correct simply because I'm correct, and not for any other reason.

sceletera wrote:
combined with the ipse dixit fallacy.

No more so than your ridiculous proclamations that your appeals to authority are not appeals to authority.
revelette1

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 07:38 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
The hunters will not be happy about you trying to ban their semi-auto hunting rifles

Some hunters will not be happy, put that against saving lives, I would rather inconvenience some hunters notions of hunting than have mass murders so easily attainable and carried out so quickly.

Just make the semi automatic rifles and handguns not capable of accepting magazines and they can have their guns. So that at least a mass murder is slowed down in his/her killing; perhaps in that time, apprehended by law enforcement or armed guard.
Glennn

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 08:25 am
@revelette1,
Just curious, but are you suggesting that all guns should be single-shots?
oralloy

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 08:58 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
Some hunters will not be happy, put that against saving lives, I would rather inconvenience some hunters notions of hunting than have mass murders so easily attainable and carried out so quickly.

Just make the semi automatic rifles and handguns not capable of accepting magazines and they can have their guns. So that at least a mass murder is slowed down in his/her killing; perhaps in that time, apprehended by law enforcement or armed guard.

Your proposal would not save any lives. It would just inconvenience hunters for no reason.

Some hunters believe the gun banners when they say they aren't out to ban their hunting weapons. This should help the hunters understand that the gun banners are in fact out to ban their hunting weapons.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 09:18 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Just curious, but are you suggesting that all guns should be single-shots?

Guns could be designed to accept magazines limited to 5-10 shots, and no more.

If a hunter can’t hit a deer in 2 shots (most likely 1), that deer is long gone.
oralloy

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 09:22 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
Guns could be designed to accept magazines limited to 5-10 shots, and no more.

If a gun can accept a detachable magazine, it is possible to make a detachable magazine that will fit it that has more than 10 shots.

The only way to do it is to restrict the sizes of detachable magazines.