Guns: how much longer will it take ....

Glennn

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2022 07:53 am
@vikorr,
Quote:
People are opposing military grade assault rifles for very specific reasons, not general reasons.

It's not a military grade rifle; it's a semiautomatic.

Anyway, you're just doing the "you'd be wrong if" dance.

You know damn well that questions 5 and 6 were clear as a bell, and so were the answers. What's funny is that, if the survey had indicated the opposite of what is had clearly shown, you'd be sticking it in my face with a fury. But it didn't, and so you're left with no alternative but to dance around it. Unfortunately for you, most people can read and interpret what the survey showed.

You should probably explain why the answers to 5 and 6 don't mean what they obviously do.
thack45

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2022 08:03 am
@McGentrix,
I didn't get the hive mind invite, so I'll settle for being #13... Working within these arbitrarily stringent terms, I'll say a gun mandate law--all persons entering any public area shall be packing heat, and shall be ceaselessly on guard and prepared to be an American Hero when the moment presents itself.

Ted Cruz said, "Why is it that people come from all over the world to America? This is the freest, most prosperous, safest country on Earth!", and by garr we won't stop until he's right!!
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2022 09:17 am
@Glennn,
Anybody lawman or not who doesn't think urgent action is needed is plainly wacko. 300 mass murders in 180 days this year. The Illinois shooter with a semiauto, I heard the tape, with wounds which looked like battlefield ones ,i.e. like hi v ar15 ones. From a legally bought weapon, probably ar15 like.
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2022 09:25 am
@MontereyJack,
As Scalia said, no rights are absolute,and since the 2nd a is clearly abetting mass murder its a lot less absolute than most. Melt down the guns.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2022 11:35 am
@MontereyJack,
What people choose to care about speaks volumes: impossible voter fraud is a national crisis, but mass shootings as inevitable (Republican state Sen. Darren Bailey: "Let’s pray for justice to prevail, and then let’s move on and let’s celebrate the independence of this nation.")
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2022 12:22 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
It's not a military grade rifle; it's a semiautomatic.
Sure, lets go with that, although for many people that would be a simplification (eg .22 semi auto with 10 rounds would likely not be a big an issue for most as your ar15 style rifles)

Quote:
Anyway, you're just doing the "you'd be wrong if" dance.
No, I'm doing the 'you're using the survey for the wrong argument' dance. You are saying that the survey opposes the reasons people want them banned...when it doesn't address the specific reasons that people want them banned.

I'm pretty sure you know this. And it appears you even agree with the specific issues...because you're not arguing against any of them. You only reply on things you feel safe to reply on.
Glennn

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2022 12:46 pm
@vikorr,
Quote:
Sure, lets go with that.

Ever wonder why the AR-15 is referred to as an assault style weapon? It's because it's not an assault weapon; just similar style.
Quote:
You are saying that the survey opposes the reasons people want them banned

I'm saying that the survey indicates what it indicates. You don't have to believe it if you don't want to. But your argument is not with me, but with the ones who took the survey. And I don't know what you can do about that . . . except maybe judge the questions as vague and not representing the participants actual opinions on the matter. But questions 5 and 6 kinda shoots that idea down, huh?

In fact, let's look at them:

5. What effect do you think a federal ban on manufacture and sale of some semi-automatic firearms, termed by some as “assault weapons,” would have on reducing violent crime?

Almost 92% off officers think a ban on the manufacture and sale of “assault weapons” will have no effect – or a negative effect – on reducing violent crime

6. Do you think a federal ban on manufacture and sale of ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds would reduce violent crime?

96% of respondents answered No.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Not vague at all . . .
McGentrix

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2022 01:55 pm
Quote:
Seventy-one people were shot, eight of them fatally, during the July 4th weekend in Mayor Lori Lightfoot’s (D) Chicago.

Breitbart News noted at least 54 people were shot Friday into Monday morning alone, as the holiday weekend progressed. Seven of those 54 shooting victims succumbed to their wounds.

When the July 4th holiday weekend was complete ABC 7 / Chicago Sun-Times reported the total number of shooting victims had risen to 71, with one additional fatal shooting, bringing the total number of shooting fatalities to eight.

The Chicago gun crime was slightly lower than what was witnessed over July 4th during 2021, when over 100 people were shot, 19 of them fatally.

Data from the Sun-Times shows 321 people were killed in Chicago January 1, 2022, through July 4, 2022.

The at least 71 shooting victims from the holiday weekend do not include the six fatalities and numerous wounded individuals who were struck by gunfire during a July 4th parade in the Chicago suburb of Highland Park, as Breitbart News reported.

Source

Obviously, Chicago just needs stricter gun control laws. Everyone knows that criminals obey such laws.
Wilso

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2022 10:43 pm
If foreign terrorists were shooting up your schools, churches, groceries and parades, the GOP would demand you bomb them back to the Stone Age.

That it’s home grown terrorists with AR-15s means you get thoughts and prayers and more crap about mental illness and good guys with guns.

F@ck off.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2022 02:20 am
@Glennn,
Quote:
I'm saying that the survey indicates what it indicates. You don't have to believe it if you don't want to. But your argument is not with me, but with the ones who took the survey.

Incorrect. My issue is with your misuse of the survey, as you are the one referencing it for your argument. In the context of this thread, the survey doesn't mean much as it doesn't address the specific issues people have with AR15 style rifes....and I notice that you continue to ignore these very specific issues (again, which the survey doesn't address)

By the way - I did make the mistake of thinking you were actually using the survey against these specific arguments, hence why I provided news articles showing that police were indeed worried about them...but it turns out you actually thought the generic nature of what they said meant something against the specific issues that people have with AR15 style rifles. That of course is my bad for presuming you knew how to address specific issues.
Wilso

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2022 06:00 am
Amnesty international has issued an advisory for travel to the US due to the prolific level of gun violence.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2022 06:02 am
Quote:

The Amnesty International travel advisory for the country of the United States of America calls on people worldwide to exercise caution and have an emergency contingency plan when traveling throughout the USA. This Travel Advisory is being issued in light of ongoing high levels of gun violence in the country.

https://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/government-relations/advocacy/travel-advisory-united-states-of-america/
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2022 06:26 am
@McGentrix,
If crimina;s can't get guns, they can't use them to commit crimes. What stops criminals from easy access to guns? Gun control laws. Duh.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2022 06:46 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

If crimina;s can't get guns, they can't use them to commit crimes. What stops criminals from easy access to guns? Gun control laws. Duh.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2022 06:57 am
@McGentrix,
How do you know how to criminally circumvent gun control laws?
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2022 07:12 am
@Walter Hinteler,

as long as we have Repubs who think gun control is a big joke, we will continue to have these white American terrorist loser gun nuts mowing down innocent people...
McGentrix

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2022 07:32 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

How do you know how to criminally circumvent gun control laws?

I am not a criminal, I have no idea. I assume through smuggling and underground purchases. Imports from Mexico etc.

Tell me Walter... Do you have no gun crimes in Germany? None at all?
McGentrix

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2022 07:37 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

as long as we have Repubs who think gun control is a big joke, we will continue to have these white American terrorist loser gun nuts mowing down innocent people...

You mean criminals. It is a shame that you have such hatred in you that you believe a criminal is " white American terrorist loser gun nuts". Must suck to live in your shoes.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2022 07:38 am
@vikorr,
Quote:
By the way - I did make the mistake of thinking you were actually using the survey against these specific arguments,

Yeah, I know. I claimed that the police are not as worried about AR-15s as other people believe. You didn't believe me. So I showed you the survey that indicates exactly that. The survey did not support your view; it supported mine. You're going to have to deal with that.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2022 07:59 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
I am not a criminal, I have no idea.

So you hysterically laughed because you had no idea?

McGentrix wrote:
Tell me Walter... Do you have no gun crimes in Germany? None at all?
Of course we have gun crimes as we have all other crimes paragraphed in our criminal code. (If you don't know why criminal codes exist, I can give a short history update.)