Guns: how much longer will it take ....

revelette1

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2022 09:53 am
@Region Philbis,
I don't know where you get these ironical jokes, but they sure are both funny and sadly true.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2022 09:57 am
Quote:
Jimmy Kimmel didn’t hold back while going after two of the NRA’s biggest apologists: Donald Trump and Ted Cruz.

A gunman murdered 19 children and two teachers at a Texas elementary school days before the gun group’s meeting in Houston, but that didn’t keep the former president or current Texas senator from attending.

Kimmel tore into the pair for attending the “meeting of the mindless,” noting that Cruz was confronted at a restaurant before the event for blocking gun control measures.

“Ted Cruz must know that at this point, every busboy spits in his food, right?” Kimmel said. “Maybe that’s what he likes about eating out, I don’t know, but I for one hope Ted Cruz never gets to eat peacefully in a restaurant again.”

Rather than back gun control, Cruz called for door control, demanding that schools have just one entrance.

“Spoken like a real knob,” Kimmel said.

“Wouldn’t it be a shame if people started piling their old doors up on Ted Cruz’s lawn?” Kimmel added. “Oh man, I would hate to see that. Imagine if there were so many doors in front of his door he couldn’t get out of the door.”

Trump also spoke at the event, blaming mass shootings on mental illness and broken families rather than easy access to assault weapons.

“That’s right, the deranged narcissist who had children with three different women is lecturing us about mental illness and broken homes,” Kimmel said.

msn news
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2022 10:12 am
One teacher's viewpoint
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiyk-otnQyXqktBjO-R_DstsfxSm0iwlN6k2E_Ke-D38Dzo2rq902irxrg-j3ifxWZLjsuSrO4gnQFrcCyxjQRdtu8CwhNWexl3MP61vTnDNFmolF0XXbOTrbBz_BRoJsm6rwQalThyR4PT-T6J6VrEp4ySmg_YvmwvkemlJnp3gIJI80x_gwrupeQjOA/s2048/teachersguns.jpg
Below viewing threshold (view)
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2022 12:40 pm
@McGentrix,
That **** was written based on what they experienced then. The Constitution was meant to evolve with the nation, hence the right to make changes. We have reached a point where common sense says no more to the carnage.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2022 12:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
Then the freedom of speech and religion and press... they are ok to just be done away with as well?

I mean they were written in the olden days and obviously times have changed. Maybe we need the Government to tell you how to think and what religion you should be?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2022 12:44 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Say you are walking down the street and a cop car pulls up next to you and asks for your ID. Do you just show it to them?
If I am told the legal basis for this, then I have little choice.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2022 12:46 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
You're not an American Walter. Your country already proved what "Paper's please" leads to.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2022 12:51 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
You're not an American Walter. Your country already proved what "Paper's please" leads to.
I do know that I'm not an American.

"Papers please" is an old myth - this does not become truer through repetition.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2022 01:03 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Sorry, it was Bitte deine Papiere.
Well, that's at the border, sometimes only (for EU-citizens). And more often at airports.

Or at a traffic control - but then only the driving licence (which is no legal ID-card) and the car's papers. And they have to tell you that it is a "general traffic" control or that you didn't observe traffic rules/laws (they have to specify it).

Otherwise, they have to tell the reason, when they check people.
However, this does not always have to be a concrete suspicion. Under certain circumstances, preventive checks to avert danger are also permitted. They do not serve to prosecute a crime, but to prevent it. (States' police law regulates that, differs a bit in all states.)

[Besides that, it's "Ihre Papiere".]
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2022 01:17 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
In Germany, the police may only carry out checks on persons with concrete justification.

Without concrete suspicion at certain legally defined locations and in certain situations, the officers may only ask for personal data. (Germans in the sense of Article 116 (1) of the Basic Law are obliged under Section 1 of the Personal Identity Card Act (PAuswG) to have a valid identity card as soon as they are 16 years old and subject to the general obligation to register or to reside predominantly in Germany. There is a legal obligation to carry it only in exceptional cases, for example for employees of certain industries during their working hours to prevent illegal employment).

Any questions beyond that do not have to be answered.
Ragman

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2022 02:59 pm
@BillW,
If I had a hammer…
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2022 04:30 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
That is a very reasonable explanation. But, you don't need that, right? You'd be fine losing that protection?
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2022 06:27 pm
@McGentrix,
They're flailing against a strawman argument. While some people do want a total gun ban, most people want good regulation of the keeping and bearing of arms.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2022 06:34 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
But, you don't need that, right? You'd be fine losing that protection?
I've controlled quite a few persons myself, and always explained the reason for it.
I've been controlled a couple of times, too - and either was told the reason or asked for it and got it only then.
(Both were good examples when lecturing this topic.)

I didn't think that anyone would guess what you obviously do.
So, why did you ask that way?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2022 07:26 am
@McGentrix,
this is the most resolutely stupid video i think i;ve ever seen. Simply put, no other allegedly civilized nation on eaRTH has the level of mass murders and murders in general we do. they are overwhelmingly done with guns, that's unacceptable. something must be done to stop it. If the gun zealots can't come up with some other means of stopping it, and they can't. then gun control is it.
vikorr

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2022 03:11 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
In Germany, the police may only carry out checks on persons with concrete justification.
I wouldn't mind seeing the source for this claim. The only source I found relating to this - was contrary to the quoted claim

https://www.army.mil/article/184369/what_to_know_if_you_get_pulled_over_in_germany