Guns: how much longer will it take ....

vikorr

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2020 07:54 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
That is incorrect. It is an objective fact that the only way for him to alleviate the menace was to withdraw completely.
You very obviously don't understand the difference between objective, and subjective. Me, in that position - would just think him an idiot once he started filming. Once he started just standing there and talking in a reasonable tone - I would find him less of an idiot, and more just plain odd. So, subjective. I daresay most of the people responding on this thread saying it is racist, also agree with what they would do in my position...so, a very, very obviously subjective situation.
Quote:
That interpretation is contrary to reality. The only way for him to remove the menace that he posed at that point was to withdraw completely.
We disagree. See above.

You cannot just apply how you would react in such a situation and say that makes it objective. Other people reacting differently makes it subjective. Subjective to the persons:
- interpretation
- fear
- reasonableness
- medical issues
- etc
ie subjective to all the things that make us human

Yours in purely an interpretation
oralloy

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2020 08:01 pm
@vikorr,
That is incorrect. Once he established himself as a potential threat from his words and actions, just standing around would not alleviate the sense of menace. Your reaction in such a situation would be far different from what you believe.
vikorr

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2020 08:09 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
That is incorrect. Once he established himself as a potential threat from his words and actions, just standing around would not alleviate the sense of menace.
We once again disagree - with your intent (that is, I will point out again that you continue to reduce multiple points to one - as I once again mentioned numerous things that would indicate no ill intent, but you try to reduce that to just one indicator)
Quote:
Your reaction in such a situation would be far different from what you believe.

Uh, you most certainly are not in a position to know how I would react, nor my life experience with conflict management, nor my understanding of human nature, nor my ability to see people for who they are in the moment. Your 'conclusion' is ignorant supposition, and self serving at that.
oralloy

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 12:55 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
We once again disagree - with your intent (that is, I will point out again that you continue to reduce multiple points to one - as I once again mentioned numerous things that would indicate no ill intent, but you try to reduce that to just one indicator)

It doesn't matter how many of these supposed indicators existed. The only way for him to end his menace was to withdraw.

vikorr wrote:
Uh, you most certainly are not in a position to know how I would react, nor my life experience with conflict management, nor my understanding of human nature, nor my ability to see people for who they are in the moment. Your 'conclusion' is ignorant supposition, and self serving at that.

If you are a human being, then you would feel menaced by this guy.

My only assumption is that you are a human being. I feel that this is a safe assumption. Are you secretly an alien from another galaxy?
Olivier5

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 04:52 am
People's fear also reflect their prejudice.

I once was a regular of the chess and checker house in Central Park, NYC. The first night I went there, these three black guys -- middle aged construction workers as they were -- were the only one playing so I tagged along. They kinda took a liking of me little French boy lost in the big apple. I realized soon enough that my game was inferior to theirs and that's why I came back night after night... A Russian guy would also come later at night, and he was real good. To be honest they had good weed and excellent red wine, too. So we formed an odd but merry community for a few months. They taught me a lot, and not just about the game.

That first evening in the chess house, at around 11:00 pm or so, I noted night had fallen while I was losing another game. "****, I need to go," I said. One cracked: "What's up Cindirella? Need to be home by midnight?" I answered, skimishly: "I heard Central Park can be dangerous at night". The retort was immediate: "Especially if you meet negros, right?"

And then they laughed their (well meaning) hearts off... I laughed with them of course but felt really stupid.
oralloy

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 04:58 am
@Olivier5,
It's not mere prejudice that leads someone to fear a man who makes threatening comments and tries to lure your pet away.

But regardless, if people perceive a threat, they need to protect themselves.

Since you won't let them call the police and have them come and sort it out, people will have to protect themselves the other way.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 05:27 am
@oralloy,
Lure her pet away? Let me see some evidence for this accusation.

BTW she keeps strangling the poor spaniel during the entire vid.
oralloy

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 05:34 am
@Olivier5,
He admitted it in his own words on his Facebook post.
https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158742137255229&id=671885228

She was trying to keep the dog under control so it doesn't run over to the crazy psycho.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 05:39 am
@oralloy,
He said he wanted to give the dog some treat. Treats are not "threatening".

All she had to do to keep the dog under control was to leash it. But that would have been doing what that horrible black man (eeek!) was politely asking her to do. So of course she opted to strangle the dog instead.
oralloy

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 05:44 am
@Olivier5,
Saying that she is not going to like what he is about to do and then trying to lure her pet away from her is very much threatening.

She was trying to keep the dog from running over to the crazy psychopath.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 05:55 am
@oralloy,
Your posts get more and more viciously racist and more and more into loopy imaginary interpretation of the evidence every time you post,
oralloy

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 05:55 am
@MontereyJack,
There is nothing imaginary about the fact that this thug said that she was not going to like what he was about to do and then tried to lure her pet away from her.

You look really goofy when you falsely accuse everyone of racism.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 06:06 am
@oralloy,
You look really silly with your hyperbolic accusation and misinterpretations of the evidence. "Thug", your usual racist charge which you only seem to apply to innocent black people. The only thuggish actions here were hers.
oralloy

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 06:08 am
@MontereyJack,
No hyperbole or misinterpretations on my end. The thug told her that she was not going to like what he was about to do, and then he tried to lure her pet away from her.

You look goofy when you falsely accuse everyone of racism.

The only thuggish actions were on the part of the guy who issued the threat and tried to lure the dog away.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 06:16 am
@oralloy,
Every post you make proves I am right. You just did so again.
oralloy

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 06:18 am
@MontereyJack,
That is incorrect. My posts point out many falsehoods in your posts.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 06:20 am
Quote:
Central Park this morning: This woman's dog is tearing through the plantings in the Ramble.
ME: Ma'am, dogs in the Ramble have to be on the leash at all times. The sign is right there.
HER: The dog runs are closed. He needs his exercise.
ME: All you have to do is take him to the other side of the drive, outside the Ramble, and you can let him run off leash all you want.
HER: It's too dangerous.
ME: Look, if you're going to do what you want, I'm going to do what I want, but you're not going to like it.
HER: What's that?
ME (to the dog): Come here, puppy!
HER: He won't come to you.
ME: We'll see about that...
I pull out the dog treats I carry for just for such intransigence. I didn't even get a chance to toss any treats to the pooch before Karen scrambled to grab the dog.
HER: DON'T YOU TOUCH MY DOG!!!!!
That's when I started video recording with my iPhone, and when her inner Karen fully emerged and took a dark turn...

there's no proof that any of this conversation took place until he started recording.

any ulterior motive assigned to Christian Cooper is pure speculation...
oralloy

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 06:21 am
@Region Philbis,
The fact that he admits it in his own words is proof that the conversation took place.

What does his motive have to do with anything? She found him menacing. People have the right to be safe from threats.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 06:22 am

why is this even being discussed on a Gun thread?

https://i.imgur.com/IOVdHW5.jpg
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 06:26 am
@MontereyJack,
Every post you make proves I am right. You just did so again