Guns: how much longer will it take ....

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 05:31 pm
@oralloy,
What i exprdressed supportfor wss outlasted wing semi auto rivfles. Ppl eriod. Because semi autos with detachablde magazines of any sizeare exremely effectivve at commiting mutder snd mass murder. E.g. 100shots in a minute anda half, good for mass murder of humans. What animals are you going to hunt in such numbers at one time. **** pistolgrips. Thatsnonsense. Itsthe gun thats the problem. Always has been
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 05:40 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
Not showing that the pistol-grip or flash suppressor, or both, makes a rifle especially dangerous does not disprove that an animal hunting rifle wouldn't be as effective as a human hunting rifle in hunting humans.

Look where you've driven yourself.

Where have I driven myself?

Glennn wrote:

Quote:

I'm not distinguishing animal hunting rifles. I'm distinguishing human hunting rifles, those assault weapons as defined and specifically banned by the Federal Assault Weapons Ban, Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act such as the AR-15.

Now look what you've done. If you're going to distinguish a human-hunting rifle, I'm afraid that you necessarily have to distinguish if from something else. And in the context of this discussion, you are distinguishing it from an animal-hunting rifle. So . . .

Yeah, I was distinguishing human hunting rifles from animal hunting rifles, not vice versa.
oralloy

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 05:46 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
What i expressed support for was outlawing semi auto rifles. Period.

Wrong. You talked about things like pistol grips and bayonet mounts.

Your words:
"assault-style weapons with ONE functional feature (which oralloy mistakenly refers to as "cosmetic features") will be banned"
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 05:55 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
you haven't established that my idea that a pistol-grip makes a rifle especially dangerous is false.

I suppose that technically I haven't, since it was your failure to prove your claim that established that it is false.

You still have it wrong. My failure to prove my claim does not establish that it is false.

Glennn wrote:

You'd make a hell of a scientist. You'd make a claim. Then someone would ask you to prove it. You would fail to prove it and then inform the one who asked you to prove your claim that your failure does not establish your claim as false, and that their question amounts to a claim that they can't prove.

I'm not claiming to be a scientist.

Glennn wrote:

Quote:
That a pistol-grip increases accuracy and rate of fire would not necessarily result in more deaths, it would increase the probability of more deaths

I think we're making progress here. You've gone from claiming that a pistol-grip makes a rifle especially dangerous by increasing its accuracy and rate of fire, to claiming that it would probably cause more deaths. But you don't even have proof of that claim either.

I haven't gone from the first claim to the second one. The first one is predicated on the second one.

Glennn wrote:

Quote:
You continue to fall back on your illogical conclusion.

It is not illogical of me to suggest that you stop making the claim that a pistol-grip makes a rifle especially dangerous after you have admitted that you have nothing to prove your claim.

What is illogical is your claim that a lack of proof shows a claim to be false.
Glennn

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 06:11 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:

Quote:
Not showing that the pistol-grip or flash suppressor, or both, makes a rifle especially dangerous does not disprove that an animal hunting rifle wouldn't be as effective as a human hunting rifle in hunting humans.

You are admitting that you cannot prove that a pistol-grip makes a rifle especially dangerous. That's good. However, the rest of that sentence leaves much to be desired when it comes to making yourself clear.

You introduced the term "human-hunting rifle" into the discussion. I asked you whether or not an animal-hunting rifle can double as a human-hunting rifle. And I asked you that because you were attempting to create a distinction between the two.
Quote:

Yeah, I was distinguishing human hunting rifles from animal hunting rifles, not vice versa.

No matter which one you are referring to, the question remains that same. Can an animal-hunting rifle double as a human-hunting rifle. And if your answer is yes, then what was the point of the distinction you tried to create?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 06:13 pm
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 06:30 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
You still have it wrong. My failure to prove my claim does not establish that it is false.

Your failure to prove your claim proves that you made a claim without first knowing whether or not it is true. And after pages of being grilled, you concede that you cannot prove your claim. And now you are hoping to redeem yourself by suggesting that your failure doesn't mean that your claim is false. But the fact is that without a side-by-side comparison between a rifle with a pistol-grip and one without a pistol-grip, your claim can be dismissed out of hand.
Quote:
I'm not claiming to be a scientist.

Yes, I know. And I've just shown why.
Quote:
I haven't gone from the first claim to the second one. The first one is predicated on the second one.

Sorry, but much like your claim that a pistol-grip makes a rifle especially dangerous, your claim that it would probably cause more deaths is likewise unproven.
Quote:

If you make a claim, and I ask you for proof of that claim, and you fail to provide that proof, then your claim is false until proven otherwise.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 08:43 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

You are admitting that you cannot prove that a pistol-grip makes a rifle especially dangerous. That's good. However, the rest of that sentence leaves much to be desired when it comes to making yourself clear.

The sentence speaks against your claim that lack of proof proves falsehood.

Glennn wrote:
You introduced the term "human-hunting rifle" into the discussion. I asked you whether or not an animal-hunting rifle can double as a human-hunting rifle. And I asked you that because you were attempting to create a distinction between the two.
Quote:

No matter which one you are referring to, the question remains that same. Can an animal-hunting rifle double as a human-hunting rifle. And if your answer is yes, then what was the point of the distinction you tried to create?

To elaborate upon my response, while an animal hunting rifle could be used to hunt humans, it wouldn't be as effective as a human hunting rifle would be, as that is the purpose of a human hunting rifle, so it wouldn't "double," i.e. copy or repeat exactly, the effectiveness of a human hunting rifle.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 09:02 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:

Your failure to prove your claim proves that you made a claim without first knowing whether or not it is true.
And after pages of being grilled, you concede that you cannot prove your claim. And now you are hoping to redeem yourself by suggesting that your failure doesn't mean that your claim is false. But the fact is that without a side-by-side comparison between a rifle with a pistol-grip and one without a pistol-grip, your claim can be dismissed out of hand.

And after pages of going on about you having proven that my claim is false, you've come to the realization—I'm making another assumption here—that you, in fact, haven't proven that my claim is false, but are merely dismissing it out of hand because of the lack of proof for my claim.

Glennn wrote:

Quote:

Sorry, but much like your claim that a pistol-grip makes a rifle especially dangerous, your claim that it would probably cause more deaths is likewise unproven.

Sure. However, I was addressing the point that you tried to make that I had gone from one claim to another. That was incorrect.

Glennn wrote:

Quote:

If you make a claim, and I ask you for proof of that claim, and you fail to provide that proof, then your claim is false until proven otherwise.

Your claim, once again, is incorrect, as well as my assumption that you've come to that realization.
Glennn

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 09:06 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:

You are correct in your claim that your statement might speak against my claim, but it is also true that your statement remains unsupported by any proof.
Quote:
To elaborate upon my response, while an animal hunting rifle could be used to hunt humans, it wouldn't be as effective as a human hunting rifle would be,

All rifles can be used for killing either humans or animals. You have yet to show any proof that a pistol-grip on a rifle would increase its efficiency at killing humans because you have no proof whatsoever that a pistol-grip increases accuracy and rate of fire. You want to talk past that deficiency in your argument for banning the AR-15. But that's not how it works.
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 09:19 pm
@oralloy,
No you silly person. Notice pistol grips are not mentioned thderd at all. Those are purely your hobbyhorse. asikeep telling you it is about banning thd weapon
and i was applauding the making of the banning easier. Clearly we should learn from the eminently sane people
of NZ. Its possible to outlaw pretty much all semi autos with mandarory buybacks and stop all these half measures.
Glennn

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 09:23 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:

And after pages of going on about you having proven that my claim is false, you've come to the realization that you, in fact, haven't proven that my claim is false

On the contrary, you had made a claim that a rifle with a pistol-grip increases accuracy and rate of fire. After asking you to prove it, you eventually said that you cannot prove it. Therefore, I have indeed proven that your claim is false by virtue of your inability to produce anything at all to support your claim.
Quote:
Sure. However, I was addressing the point that you tried to make that I had gone from one claim to another. That was incorrect.

Not true. You went from declaratively claiming that a rifle with a pistol-grip makes a rifle especially dangerous (and we know exactly what you were implying there) to claiming that a rifle with a pistol-grip would probably result in more deaths.
Quote:
Your claim, once again, is incorrect, as well as my assumption that you've come to that realization.

No. It is literally true that if you make a claim, and I ask you for proof of that claim, and you fail to provide that proof, then your claim is false until proven otherwise. And thus far, it remains unproven.
oralloy

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 09:25 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
No you silly person. Notice pistol grips are not mentioned there at all. Those are purely your hobbyhorse.

Wrong again. You mentioned pistol grips.

Your words:
"assault-style weapons with ONE functional feature (which oralloy mistakenly refers to as "cosmetic features") will be banned"

MontereyJack wrote:
as i keep telling you it is about banning the weapon and i was applauding the making of the banning easier.

That is sophistry. "Banning a gun whenever it has a pistol grip on it" is "banning pistol grips on that gun."

MontereyJack wrote:
Clearly we should learn from the eminently sane people of NZ. Its possible to outlaw pretty much all semi autos with mandarory buybacks and stop all these half measures.

Sorry, no. Violating people's civil liberties for fun is unconstitutional in the US.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 09:30 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:

You are correct in your claim that your statement might speak against my claim, but it is also true that your statement remains unsupported by any proof.

Ok.

Glennn wrote:

Quote:
To elaborate upon my response, while an animal hunting rifle could be used to hunt humans, it wouldn't be as effective as a human hunting rifle would be,

All rifles can be used for killing either humans or animals.

Sure, the point I'm making, however, is that those made for hunting animals wouldn't be as effective in hunting humans because human hunting rifles were made for that express purpose.

Glennn wrote:
You have yet to show any proof that a pistol-grip on a rifle would increase its efficiency at killing humans because you have no proof whatsoever that a pistol-grip increases accuracy and rate of fire. You want to talk past that deficiency in your argument for banning the AR-15. But that's not how it works.

That's not my argument for banning assault weapons such as the AR-15.
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 09:37 pm
@oralloy,
That does not mention.pisrol grips..if you knew logic youd know the difference between suffivient and necessary coditions. Necessary conditions are semi auto andd detachable mags. Pistol grips are merely one among several sufficient conditions. And irepear it hasalways beb about the banning of the necessary condkitions. Your logic is dumb.
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 09:41 pm
@oralloy,
No violarion of civil libwrties is involved in stopping conservatives from violating civil rights for fun.
Glennn

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 09:49 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
No you silly person. Notice pistol grips are not mentioned thderd at all.

I can always count on you to come in and demonstrate your attention span. Why don't you go back a few posts and take note of what issue is being discussed. Then you won't embarrass yourself like this again.
Glennn

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 09:55 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
the point I'm making, however, is that those made for hunting animals wouldn't be as effective in hunting humans because human hunting rifles were made for that express purpose.

And the point I'm making is that you have absolutely nothing to offer that would support that claim.
Quote:
That's not my argument for banning assault weapons such as the AR-15.

Really? Cuz I could have sworn I heard you make a distinction between rifles with pistol-grips and rifles without pistol-grips. To be precise, you said that a rifle with a pistol-grip was especially dangerous because it increased accuracy and rate of fire. Yes, I definitely recall you making that exact point. And if my memory is accurate, you couldn't provide anything to support that claim.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 10:00 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:

And after pages of going on about you having proven that my claim is false, you've come to the realization that you, in fact, haven't proven that my claim is false

On the contrary, you had made a claim that a rifle with a pistol-grip increases accuracy and rate of fire. After asking you to prove it, you eventually said that you cannot prove it. Therefore, I have indeed proven that your claim is false by virtue of your inability to produce anything at all to support your claim.

No, you're incorrect. Lack of evidence for a claim does not prove the falsehood of that claim.

Anyhow, what, then, did you mean by this, "I'm not claiming that you can't prove it"?

Glennn wrote:

Quote:

Not true. You went from declaratively claiming that a rifle with a pistol-grip makes a rifle especially dangerous (and we know exactly what you were implying there) to claiming that a rifle with a pistol-grip would probably result in more deaths.

Those are not contradictory claims. The fist is predicated on the second.

What was I implying?

Glennn wrote:

Quote:

No. It is literally true that if you make a claim, and I ask you for proof of that claim, and you fail to provide that proof, then your claim is false until proven otherwise. And thus far, it remains unproven.

You continue to be incorrect. An unproven claim isn't false because it is unproven. You're confusing the terms "unproved" with "disproved."
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 10:07 pm
@Glennn,
The posts he claims prove isaid it was aoul about pistol grips do not. Youre as wacjked as he is about them.