Guns: how much longer will it take ....

oralloy

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 10:42 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Thank you for making it perfectly clear that while you prattle endlessly about the Constitution you really don't give a **** at the massive violations of civil rights commited every yrear by the pro-gun acrivists (that must be who's doing it because they actually actively use their guns to do it.

Awww. The poor little victims.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

If you want my support in doing anything, you have to first stop violating people's civil liberties, and you have to then compensate the people whose civil liberties you've violated.

Otherwise, I suggest you kick back and enjoy the TV footage of the massacres.
oralloy

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 10:43 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
All the kinds of weapons that have ben used to murder people.

Sorry. We aren't going to outlaw kitchen knives and baseball bats.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 10:56 pm
@oralloy,
those aren't weapons.
oralloy

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 10:57 pm
@MontereyJack,
The people who are murdered with them would beg to differ.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 11:16 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
Thanks again, gun nuts.

Not gun nuts; it was just one.

OK, just one cretin today.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 12:24 am
@glitterbag,
https://i.imgur.com/zPejUpD.jpg
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 12:51 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
If you want my support in doing anything, you have to first stop violating people's civil liberties, and you have to then compensate the people whose civil liberties you've violated.

Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on whose looking at what, at one particular moment) we do need you to help pass legislation for gun reform.

That doesn't give you carte blanc to be an asshole though. Stop pushing compensation, it's stupid and irrelevant. The worst part of watching these pages and posts is your answers to idiotic posts, mostly as very flippant and defiant to people's suffering.

It isn't helping.

Now, I really do get your point, there's the 2nd Amendment to contend with.

As I have said on many occasions, there's rules and regulations everywhere you go. These are the rules and regulations set forth. If you feel you cannot abide by these rules and regulations, you're free to leave at any time. Be fore-warned though, you will then be subjected to someone else's rules and regulations. (My generalized speech to my children.)

The problem we face is a big conundrum balancing the 2nd Amendment to civil liberties. I know we can achieve an equilibrium, but it starts with open and honest dialog.

You manage to do that with me. I highly suggest personal attacks and sarcastic innuendo stop, not only by you, but others who seems to think they, and only them, can push through legislation on gun reform.

It just doesn't work that way.

I'm not singing Kumbiya,

I'm stating the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

oralloy

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 12:58 am
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:
Stop pushing compensation, it's stupid and irrelevant.

Not to the people whose civil liberties have been grievously violated.
neptuneblue

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 01:07 am
@oralloy,
Maybe so. It isn't going to happen.
oralloy

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 01:39 am
@neptuneblue,
What is your objection to providing redress to the victims of progressives?
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 04:48 am
@oralloy,
The set of victims of progressives is an empty et. There are, however, thousands of people murdered every year by people who put rightist policies into action. Since rightist policies lead to their murder, it's too late to help them but rightists owe reparations to their surviving families. Very substantial reparations.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 04:55 am
@oralloy,
People are murdered with pillows to. A pillow isn't a weapon.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 04:57 am
@oralloy,
sick.
oralloy

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 05:31 am
@MontereyJack,
Merely progressive monsters being treated as they deserve to be treated.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 05:32 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
The set of victims of progressives is an empty et.

Wrong. Everyone whose civil liberties you are violating for fun is your victim.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 05:33 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
People are murdered with pillows to. A pillow isn't a weapon.

People who are murdered with them would beg to differ.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 06:24 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
What is your objection to providing redress to the victims of progressives?

First of all, the victims of gun violence are the focus. Not progressives. Keep the focus on the true victims, people who were shot and/or killed.

Second, it's not quantifiable. There's not an amount that would ever appease you. You'll find a way to reject any effort if it meant screwing over a Progressive.

Third, it's a delay tactic. It's a tool specifically designed to make you feel morally superior, not fix the issue.

Fourth, compromise has to be on both sides, and you're not always going to get everything you want. This is one of them.

oralloy

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 07:02 am
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:
First of all, the victims of gun violence are the focus. Not progressives. Keep the focus on the true victims, people who were shot and/or killed.

My primary focus is on protecting the victims of progressives.

neptuneblue wrote:
Second, it's not quantifiable. There's not an amount that would ever appease you.

I don't know about that.

Let's say, as general compensation for the 10 year federal ban on pistol grips, anyone in the country who wants a new gun of any sort gets it, with all of it paid for by a tax on progressives.

Additionally, as general compensation for various state and local bans on pistol grips, any person who has been subjected to any of these bans is entitled to a second new gun, paid for by the offending state or local government.

Additionally, anyone who has had their guns seized because of pistol grips gets compensated $150,000 for every gun seized, paid for by the government that seized the gun(s). I'm open to a higher amount, but that sounds like a fair figure.

Additionally, anyone who has had to pay fines or legal bills because of bans on pistol grips should receive three times that amount in compensation from the offending government.

Additionally, anyone who has served time in prison because of bans on pistol grips should be compensated a million dollars for every year in prison. I've never heard of anyone serving prison time because of these bans. But if they have, they should be compensated.

That all sounds reasonable to me.
oralloy

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 07:37 am
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:
Therefore, please expound on what you would be willing to place gun reform restrictions as law.

I'm also fine with reasonable safe storage laws, and laws requiring reasonable training.

I forgot about those when I gave my first answer.

I don't have exact definitions of "reasonable" on hand, but I would not find a $30,000 gun safe for a $250 gun to be reasonable.

Safe storage that cost on the order of 15% of the price of the gun(s) being stored would probably be all right though.

Reasonable training should focus on teaching people things like gun safety, and what does and doesn't constitute lawful self defense. It shouldn't resemble Navy SEAL training.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 07:54 am
@oralloy,
You are not negotiating in good faith.

The only thing you're doing is lining gun makers pockets.

Therefore, a serious discussion is moot with you.