Guns: how much longer will it take ....

oralloy

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 12:40 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
You don't even know the story and you're already judging others' reactions that haven't happened.
That's stupid. Carry on.

What were the odds that the left were ever going to respond to this with anything other than childish name-calling.

I'd guess about a trillion to one against.

Have you ever not responded to something with name-calling and personal attacks?
Olivier5

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 01:11 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
What were the odds that the left were ever going to respond to this with anything other than childish name-calling.

What's the odds you're not going to blame the left for everything?
oralloy

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 01:58 am
@Olivier5,
Have I ever blamed the left for something that they are not directly responsible for?

If your answer is yes, what was the thing that you contend that I unfairly blamed them for?
snood

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 02:33 am
In the midst of the standoff, Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney expressed anger at the amount of “weaponry” and “firepower” the gunman appeared to possess. 
“Our officers need help. They need help. They need help with gun control. They need help with keeping these weapons out of these people’s hands,” he told reporters.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/philadelphia-shooting-police-officers_n_5d547973e4b056fafd06fae6
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 06:33 am
What about that? Does it matter that the mayor is crying out that his outgunned cops need “help with gun control”? Or is all that matters is that it’s a Democrat who said it? Would you more believe the sincerity of his plea if he was a Republican?
oralloy

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 06:48 am
@snood,
The mayor's statement seemed pretty vague. I don't even know what sort of weaponry and firepower he is complaining about.
snood

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 07:42 am
@oralloy,
A single shooter held off the Philadelphia police force for several hours. That says something.

But be honest - it doesn’t matter what kind of arsenal the man had, you won’t find it excessive enough to warrant any kind of legislative action.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 08:08 am
@oralloy,
You just did insult "the left" for imaginary "childish name-calling", in absence of any facts. Who's childish now?
oralloy

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 08:14 am
@Olivier5,
That is incorrect. They just engaged in multiple pages of childish name-calling against me. And fair criticism for bad behavior is not an insult.
oralloy

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 08:16 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
But be honest - it doesn’t matter what kind of arsenal the man had, you won’t find it excessive enough to warrant any kind of legislative action.

Perhaps. But I still prefer to draw conclusions only after I have reliable data.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 08:19 am
@snood,
I still lack adequate data on what weapons "the guy who confronted them" possessed, but it appears from this picture that the police had some variant of an AR-15:
http://web.archive.org/web/20190815132859if_/rp-online.de/imgs/32/6/4/9/2/0/1/8/5/AFP_fSAT_EUROPE__FLIP__28070278_0_1-93a8f0fa68eb8f2c.jpg
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 08:31 am
@oralloy,
And if there were sensible gun control in this country, none of this would have happened and six cops would not have been shot in the first place, but noooo.....
oralloy

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 08:37 am
@MontereyJack,
You didn't specify anything concrete in your post, but whenever someone uses the words "sensible" or "reasonable" or "common sense" that's a sure sign that we're talking about a civil liberties violation.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 08:47 am
@oralloy,
Most police depts use the M4 for the street officers, which is a military select fire weapon. It's actually an "assault weapon", were the AR-15 is not an assault weapon.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 09:29 am
@oralloy,
Nothing to do with Philly or the left.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 09:49 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
the AR-15 is not an assault weapon.

Firearms for use by the military are able to shoot continuously with one pull of the trigger, machine-gun style, while with a semi-automatic, you have to pull the trigger each time you want to fire a round: sounds a lot less deadly.

And the founders had these shootings in mind when they wrote the Second Amendment.
Baldimo

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 10:24 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Firearms for use by the military are able to shoot continuously with one pull of the trigger, machine-gun style, while with a semi-automatic, you have to pull the trigger each time you want to fire a round: sounds a lot less deadly.

That all depends on what weapon is being used by the military. The M-16A2 does not have a full auto option on the select fire, it has single shot, 3 round burst or safe. The M4 comes with either the auto option or the 3 round burst option but not both. The key difference between the M-16A2 the M4 and an AR-15 is the AR-15 only comes in semi-auto, no burst or auto options are available for those weapons, also, no military in the world uses the AR-15 as a weapon, it is a civilian weapon, not military.

Quote:
And the founders had these shootings in mind when they wrote the Second Amendment.

What is this suppose to mean? The founders wrote the 2nd Amendment after fighting a war for independence they were concerned with a future tyranical govt and the freedom such a govt would take away. You should read the Federalist and anti-Federalist Papers if you want an understanding of what the intentions of the Founding Fathers were.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 10:25 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Nothing to do with Philly or the left.

That is incorrect. "Leftist name-calling" has everything to do with the left.

"Fair criticism of the left" has everything to do with the left.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 11:14 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Baldimo wrote:
the AR-15 is not an assault weapon.
Tell that to the families who lost loved ones. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/data-confirm-semiautomatic-rifles-linked-to-more-deaths-injuries/
Baldimo

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2019 11:31 am
@cicerone imposter,

I will tell it to the families. I'm not going to lie to them because of their loss. An assault rifle is a select fire weapon, the AR-15 does not have select fire and no military in the world would use an AR-15 for their soldiers.

As you have just proven, "assault rifle" is an emotional word, not a factual word to describe the AR-15 or other semi-auto rifles. You will also notice that the Columbine shooting, which is the start of the modern day mass shooting, was done directly in the middle of the "assault weapons" ban. The ban had no effect on crime or shootings in the 10 years it was law.