Guns: how much longer will it take ....

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2019 01:09 pm
@oralloy,
You lie, /fun has nothing to do with it.
oralloy

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2019 01:14 pm
@MontereyJack,
If the reason why leftists try to outlaw pistol grips on rifles is not "the joy that they get out of violating people's civil liberties" then what is the actual reason why leftists try to outlaw pistol grips on rifles?
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2019 02:18 pm
Quote:
Why The Second Amendment Should Be Considered A National Treasure

Along with Oralloy. Cool
https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2019/01/27/untitled-opinion-post-on-nature-of-2a/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_term=untitled-opinion-post-on-nature-of-2a&utm_content=0&utm_campaign=PostPromoterPro
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2019 01:59 pm
@coldjoint,
Only if you consider fools' gold as treasure.
oralloy

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2019 02:04 pm
@MontereyJack,
This opposition to civil liberties is why the left is bad and must be defeated for the good of the nation.

Our civil liberties are very much a treasure.
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2019 03:18 pm
@oralloy,
People exercising what you call a civil liberty murder thousands of people a year thus depriving them of their basic civil right. Even scalia said guns were subject to limitations. He rejected your absolutism.
Come up with a way to stop the carnage you foster and maybe someone will take you seriously. Until then, no..
McGentrix

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2019 03:28 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

People exercising what you call a civil liberty murder thousands of people a year thus depriving them of their basic civil right. Even scalia said guns were subject to limitations. He rejected your absolutism.
Come up with a way to stop the carnage you foster and maybe someone will take you seriously. Until then, no..

That's some real remedial thinking.

People kill people with cars, so we should outlaw cars.
Pit Bulls hurt people, we should ban Pit Bulls.
People do a lot of stupid ****. That doesn't mean we need to ban everything. Quit trying to play to the lowest common denominator. Our society needs to live by a higher standard.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2019 03:30 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
People exercising what you call a civil liberty murder thousands of people a year thus depriving them of their basic civil right.

Sorry, but the stats don't agree with you. You will find that the majority of murders are not from your average gun loving American, it's actually the result of gangs and turf.

Quote:
Even scalia said guns were subject to limitations. He rejected your absolutism.

I think you need read the complete opinion, not what you think it said.

Quote:

As the link below shows, the majority of gun crimes are not by legal gun owners, but people who get their guns illegally.

https://www.politifact.com/new-york/statements/2018/mar/12/john-faso/do-illegal-gun-owners-commit-most-gun-crime-rep-fa/
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2019 03:45 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
People exercising what you call a civil liberty murder thousands of people a year thus depriving them of their basic civil right.
I think you'll find that murder is already considered a crime.

MontereyJack wrote:
Even scalia said guns were subject to limitations.
Yes. But that doesn't make it OK for leftists to violate people's civil liberties for fun.

MontereyJack wrote:
He rejected your absolutism
No such absolutism.

MontereyJack wrote:
Come up with a way to stop the carnage you foster
I do not foster any carnage.

MontereyJack wrote:
and maybe someone will take you seriously. Until then, no..
It doesn't matter what excuse you give for violating people's civil liberties for fun.

The mere fact that leftists try to violate people's civil liberties for fun shows that they need to be defeated for the good of the country.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2019 09:39 pm
Leftist school board members may be fired over the Parkland school shooting.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/parkland/florida-school-shooting/fl-ne-desantis-broward-school-board-20190130-story.html

Blaming the bad guys. How refreshing.
gungasnake

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 01:07 am
@oralloy,

see what you think of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZCdLIajPHo
oralloy

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 03:42 pm
@gungasnake,
The German people originated the right to keep and bear arms 2600 years ago. It's a tragedy that they have struggle with draconian gun laws.

We should be watching that guy show off a legally-owned HK G36.
farmerman

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 04:30 pm
@oralloy,
PA legislature outlawed the use of semi auto rifles for hunting. This was arrived at after major support from hunters and hunting organizations.

Pa NRA sports show begins today in Harrisburg PA. It is marketed as the biggest outdoor hunting, fishing, camping, survival, and rv show in the world.
oralloy

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 04:47 pm
@farmerman,
What about rifles for defense against bears (and mountain lions, if there are any)?

Is it OK to have a semi-auto soften up the recoil on a .30-06/.300 mag/.338 mag in those cases?

What about bird hunters? Can they use a semi-auto to soften up the recoil on their shotguns?
oralloy

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 05:15 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
I suspect you are looking at that one the wrong way.
http://www.garrettcartridges.com
http://www.garrettcartridges.com/faq.html
Large-bore nonexpanding bullets that punch a deep narrow channel are required for CXP4 animals.

CXP3 animals aren't quite as tough though. You do need much deeper penetration than with a deer. An ordinary soft point that would be great on deer would not work well on CXP3 game. But you don't need to go all the way to solid nonexpanding bullets either. Something like a Nosler Partition, or a Swift A-Frame, or a Trophy Bonded Bear Claw will combine expansion with penetration that is deep enough for CXP3 game.
oralloy

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 05:22 pm
@oralloy,
On the other hand, if you are planning on eating the animal after you kill it, a low velocity nonexpanding bullet does a lot less damage to the meat.

I'm more worried about defense than hunting though, so I don't worry about damaging the meat. I just want to stop the attack.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 05:51 pm
@oralloy,
no semiautos for hunting , punct. (although maybe for stock protection, Ill check on that category )
Pa bears are some of the biggest in the US (proper game management), when Im up in the north woods in the gas fields I open carry a 45 revolver with 2 xtra speed loaders. I have always been shocked at the poor alignment of many autos including supposedly 'Better " ones .

No mtn lion but plenty of feral hogs who get crazy in the head.
farmerman

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 06:05 pm
@farmerman,
Is CXP categorization jut a marketing tool?

Id consider CXP1 and 2 as "shotgun worthy" and all pellets are now no expansion,mild steel some with plastic coated . I only hunt for food and Id NEVER buy plastic coated shot. not much expansion.

Im not sure of all that technical sounding stuff. Most guys I know who moose or bison hunt , do their own reloads and they tweak the powder for their personal sense of mission.
oralloy

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 06:22 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
no semiautos for hunting , punct. (although maybe for stock protection, Ill check on that category )
Not even shotguns?!?

farmerman wrote:
when Im up in the north woods in the gas fields I open carry a 45 revolver with 2 xtra speed loaders.
I've heard that there is a case where a guy successfully defended against a bear with a Glock 9mm. It was all he had on hand when he went into bear country, so he loaded with FMJ military rounds thinking that they would penetrate deeply. Apparently he was right, but I don't think people should run to ditch their bear guns for 9mm Glocks.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 06:25 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Is CXP categorization jut a marketing tool?
I forget who came up with it, but it is a convenient way to differentiate different sorts of rounds for different types of game.

farmerman wrote:
Id consider CXP1 and 2 as "shotgun worthy" and all pellets are now no expansion, mild steel some with plastic coated.
It depends. If the CXP1 animal is a squirrel or rabbit and you want to eat the meat, a .22lr might serve you better.

If the CXP1 animal is a varmint at long range, you might not be able to reach that far with a shotgun.