Guns: how much longer will it take ....

gungasnake

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2019 11:22 pm
Notice that Russians may have achieved some kind of a breakthrough with thosetank guns in that they don't seem to require muzzle brakes...
glitterbag

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2019 11:28 pm
@gungasnake,
Are you OK, you type like you've had a stroke.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2019 10:46 pm
Beretta's hunting shotguns... This appears to be the latest incarnation of their Extrema series:

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/a350-xtrema-max5/
farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2019 04:02 am
@gungasnake,
I have a coupla shotguns including two sequential browning overn unders and an Italian clay hooter. Id never take a raised rib gun with all the hand candy hunting.(I suppose if I was hunting where my "man" would hand me my gun out of my Bentley "Shooting brake"and clean it after every shot. You apparently dont do much small game in a country like US.
For hunting you need a brute of a 12 or 20 gage double barrel that can take scratches from alll the sticker bushes where you SHOULD be trekking to scare em up.(I always work with dogs who love nothing better than seeing how hung up they can get you in the wild cherry vines).

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2019 05:52 am
Particularly with the Federal BlackCloud ammo, nobody needs a ten gauge gun for geese any more. That combined with the Beretta Extrema 2 or whatever the latest incarnation of that is would be ideal. The Extrema 2 is totally weatherproof and all but indestructable and the mechanism is self-regulating i.e. you can shoot very light target shells one day and geese the next and at least in the case of using BlackCloud ammo to hunt with, all you need to change is the ammo. Federal tells you to use skeet chokes with the BlackClouod shells.

As I've head it, the parent company for Federal and CCI makes anti-aircraft weapons, and the BlackCloud shells are more or less an AA weapon migrated to shotguns and duck/geese hunting.
farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2019 09:45 am
@gungasnake,
any gun whose name ends in a vowel is only used for sporting clays (multi choke).

I hunt anything small with a 12 or 20 ga. SXS. (Right barrel =lead, Left barrel, =really lead). Smaller game (pheasant,rabbit, squirrel) I use a 20 ga double.
Recoil pads are custom made for me and the kids guns.

I dont know of anyone whose used a 10ga. (or a Punt gun for that matter).
I guess if I wanted to hunt bear (cant think of any reason that makes sense), Id use a 10 slug.(Or a 50 cal taurus pistol).
The way bear is "harvested" like corn raised cattle these days, bear hunters should be ridiculed and not paid attention to.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2019 09:47 am
@gungasnake,
whats Black Cloud ammo like? Im a" Federalist" and Ive never heard of it. I use long brass everything shotgun
gungasnake

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2019 10:47 am
@farmerman,
BlackCloud is heads and shoulders above anything else, particularly with BB sized steel shot. It involves a proprietary wad which is not sold separately and which goes out a short distance and then stops.

BlackCloud comes in 3" and 3.5" form. The 3.5 is for shooting things 60+ yards out; at a more normal distance of 30+40 yards you'll see a pattern around the size of a cantelope or honeydew mellon. The 3" will give you a more normal pattern at 30 - forty yards. Velocity is around 1400 fps.

The advantage is for waterfowl and steel shot and there is also an advantage for using buckshot on deer. They say it patterns around a yard wide at 70 yards.

I don't believe they make a version with lead shot for upland game.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2019 11:50 am
Ducks shot with that stuff inside of 40 yards are usually dead before they hit the ground...
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2019 11:56 am
One other thing to understand about shotguns....

Double barrel guns made today aren't gigantically different from such guns made in 1950 or thereabouts, at least in terms of performance.

But huge progress has been made in semiauto shotguns. Semiautos made today are much faster and more intelligently made, particularly the Beretta Xtrema-2 which functions well (spring and bleedoff valve) with all types of ammo without any adjustments. In fact if you could only own one shotgun, that is what I'd recommend. The semiauto action eats at least some of the recoil so that particularly with 3" shells, recoil is barely noticable.
farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2019 12:38 pm
@gungasnake,
If I was a game warden Id hve more semis hanging on my evidence wall than any other gun.(In Pa, if your caught with>3 the gun is confiscated, an weve even had gunfights erupt from some idiot hunters who feel above the law) I dont know how many times Ive been out hunting small game and hear the 5-to-7 shot bullshit from the same gun. (I dont have any idea how they get more than 5 shots anyway). Poor pheasant. If ya cant hit em in one , at most 2 shots, why go blasting.

My advice is get a single shot and try to live like an old mountain hunter with an old Sharps blck powder.

My hotgun training i from Milspec sapper training while wed build runways, we blow anything that wasnt ours and a shotgun brigade is an awesome way to clean out vegetation. (The onliest place that a "banana" is a welcome tool)
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2019 06:44 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
The semiauto action eats at least some of the recoil so that particularly with 3" shells, recoil is barely noticable.
Some people in Alaska use semi-autos to eat recoil in their .338 Win Mag bear defense rifles.

I bet that if someone made a semi-auto 9.3 x 62 or .375 Ruger it would be a big hit in Alaska.
gungasnake

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2019 05:36 am
@oralloy,
A 45/70 will do a better job of stopping big bears or moose than any of those 30 or 34 caliber magnum rifles will.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/hiRes/41204.jpg

https://picturearchive.gunauction.com/2439102601/8101088/b3e84294d470b1e4d26a1d5043ceb495.jpg

oralloy

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2019 06:18 am
@gungasnake,
The velocity would be too slow for reliable expansion of a heavy bullet. Something similar to a .375 H&H in velocity will do a lot more damage if you use premium expanding bullets. Last I heard, about 5% of the ammo sold in Alaska is .375 H&H.

The 9.3 x 62 is a bit weak on the velocity side too, for that matter (although that is a blessing when it comes to recoil). The 9.3 x 64 has better velocity, but people would need to handload their own ammo with premium bullets because the only available factory ammo uses cheap poorly-constructed bullets.

I did notice though that the hero in the latest Jurassic Park/World movies used a lever action .45-70 as his main carry weapon while in the wild with dangerous dinosaurs. I thought that was a neat thing to put in the movie instead of some generic Hollywood machine gun.
farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2019 06:49 am
@oralloy,
same gun as used in the movie "Wind River" . I didnt see Jurassic park 5? (The last one since the penultimate was so bad)
Wind Rivr celebrated the 45070 (I think it was a Rem 1895 SB). I would imagine theyd use a Henry in Jurassic Park (glitzier on camera)
oralloy

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2019 07:29 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
since the penultimate was so bad
Jurassic World got pretty good reviews. Nothing like "best movie of all time" or anything, but not too terrible either.

The first two sequels got much worse reviews than Jurassic World got.

If someone wanted to introduce a newcomer to the franchise, they could do worse than showing the 3D conversion of the original, follow with the 3D version of Jurassic World, and totally ignore all other sequels. They did an outstanding 3D conversion of the original even though it was not even filmed with 3D in mind.

#6 will be an interesting sequel (whether it will be good or not is another question). #5 ended with all the dinosaurs (including the T-Rex) being set free in the United States -- without any notice or warning given to the people or government.

farmerman wrote:
I would imagine theyd use a Henry in Jurassic Park (glitzier on camera)
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Jurassic_World#Marlin_Model_1895SBL

farmerman wrote:
same gun as used in the movie "Wind River".
I haven't seen that (yet).

I noticed the existence of the movie though, because it came out right about the time of the 2017 eclipse. And that was the exact area that I was planning to go to watch the eclipse. Bad weather forecasts that morning forced me to change my plans and stop at Caspar, but I had been planning to go past Caspar and head right up the valley that morning.
farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2019 08:50 am
@oralloy,
Its a damn good movie and it shows how photog and special effects can be meld INTO a good story rather than making CGI the entire point.

I think your idea of introducing omone to JurassicPark via a 3D presentation would be a good one but avoiding the rest(except the one with the Spinosaur and William Macy).

If there is a JP 6, Id hope the technical adviisers would finally be litened to, I gave a talk at a library science seminar for kids last summer and the kids were smarter than the scientists depicted in the movie
"How come they dont show the feathers on the Troodon?"

How come that Mososaur was sobig?

"Most of the dinosaurs are Cretaceous"

I said that I have grad students that arent as observant as you kids.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2019 08:52 am
@gungasnake,
leave the moose the **** alone. Theyre going extinct what with the CWD and winterized ticks.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2019 08:54 am
@oralloy,
Yeh , MARLIN 1895 SBL, not REM, corrected.
They dint use a Henry 45-70? .Its all tarted up in brass and ready for all the fancy schmancy engraving nd carving our names into the fore.

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2019 04:40 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
The velocity would be too slow for reliable expansion of a heavy bullet. Something similar to a .375 H&H in velocity will do a lot more damage if you use premium expanding bullets. Last I heard, about 5% of the ammo sold in Alaska is .375 H&H.

I suspect you are looking at that one the wrong way.

http://www.garrettcartridges.com

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/faq.html