Welcome Sports Haters!

I Like 1981

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 04:35 pm
I fear this thread may be starting to drift from the point now. Time for me to swing it back on course.
This thread was started as a haven for haters of sports to come and talk to other people who share their opinions, and now we are just criticising each other for our hobbies? Please. I am not planning on joining a "phonetic spelling group" anytime soon (I'm sure that word begins with a "ph", not with "f") as yes, you hardly meet brilliant, exciting people there and get to know some fine women. Well, you never know - life brings its surprises but I don't expect all the beautiful girls to be spending their Saturday nights at any stereotypically nerdy or sad event. I hate to say it, but perhaps sports are the only way to go. Perhaps I should go down the pub when England are playing in the World Cup, find a woman sitting on her own in the bar and chat to her, carefully and subtly checking that there is no "other" man in her life that could challenge me, feign an interest in the game, get absolutely loaded on beer and stay on my feet, proving to her that I'm a real man, and then she will give me the piece of paper with eleven digits on that will prove that I have succeeded! But I have tried this before at my local, with seven women this past year. One of them I remember looking round the room nervously in a rather frantic mood while I was telling her that Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise, five of them already had boyfriends so I had to slip away quietly and one of them actually had a boyfriend in the bar at the time who had been to the toilet whilst I was chatting her up. This guy came up to me and I could just tell before I even turned around that he was a sports player. You can just tell instinctively when you've got no chance in a fight before even looking the other person in the eye. I just slipped away quietly and didn't say a single word as I left the pub. I guess my luck with women is not fine. Do you know, I absolutely hate the word "boyfriend". All the great women have them... why do these fascists have to take the terrific girls? And every ******* one of them seems to be obsessed with sports. Why do women find sports so sexy in a man? Is that the only way to prove one's masculinity in this day and age? If so, I may get down the gym, beef myself up and in a few months or perhaps even a year, actually smack one of these "boyfriends" for getting the girl of my dreams! Oh yes, I would love that! Now then, I have three questions for you. Answer them, and I will mark you and give you a grade. No time limits. Just use your mind. Here are my questions and the maximum marks you can receive for each one.

1) Why is it that sports fans are more likely to get attractive girlfriends than non-sports fans? (12)
2) What is the quality of sports that makes them so attractive to the opposite sex? (15)
3) In the world of today, what would you say the situation was for a 28-year-old man with no interest in sports who lives on his own? (23)

Maximum: 50 marks.
I'll be keeping an eye on your answers!

Best regards,
i_like_1981
wmwcjr

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:31 am
@I Like 1981,
Greetings, my friend. I would be delighted to take your test, but you might not like my answers. I’m willing to take my medicine if you flunk me.

1) I have a problem with your question. Most gorgeous women seek out really good-looking guys because they’re superficial. The gorgeous women are superficial, and the really good-looking guys are often superficial themselves. They’re just interested in good looks and social status. They’re not interested in moral values or intellectual pursuits. I’m not saying this is true of every young person who is stunningly beautiful or handsome. I’m just saying that this is true of many of them. Any guy with intellectual depth such as yourself who was married to a gorgeous but superficial woman would find such a relationship to be hellish. When I was in high school, I never had any desire to date any of the social climbers who chased after the football players, because these girls usually were vain and just not decent. They were actually repulsive to me.

You’re looking in the wrong place for a woman. Young unattached women in pubs are likely to be superficial. (I’m not saying that every person in a bar is necessarily superficial. After all, you’ve gone to bars.) To begin with, their motivations for being there are superficial. The reason you’ll hardly find any gorgeous women at “nerdy events” is because gorgeous women have to spend a lot of time to keep looking gorgeous. They have neither the time nor the inclination to pursue intellectual interests. They’re not born gorgeous. It takes a lot of work to maintain that figure, shop for the right clothes, have their hair styled, and do whatever else they need to do. They don’t have much time for intellectual pursuits.

2) Gorgeous women are frequently attracted to male athletes because the athletes are physically attractive and have high social status. Forget moral values and intellectual interests. Sure, no one would want to date someone who was physically repulsive; but young people who place the most priority on good looks are not as likely to find lasting relationships as those who look for someone who shares their interests and have admirable (morally speaking) character traits. My daughter and her boyfriend took notice of each other because they were both majoring in math at the university they were attending. In other words, they discovered that they shared a common interest, which is math. (They also share the same spiritual values.) Their relationship went from there, and they found each other to be attractive. The point is that neither of them placed a top priority on good looks.

3) I wouldn’t say the situation was hopeless. When I was 28 years old, I was a guy who had no interest in sports and was living on his own. The following year I married my girlfriend, and we’ve been happily married for 30 years. I had become a Christian when I was 26 and met my future wife in the first congregation where I worshipped. If you lowered your expectations of expecting to meet a Marilyn Monroe who was proficient in chemistry, say, and sought out women who shared your intellectual interests or values, you might be surprised. It’s amazing how attractive people become when you get to know them.
wmwcjr

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 02:21 am
I neglected to say that going to a gym or a health club is a great idea just for the sake of your physical health and emotional well-being. I've been working with a personal trainer on a bodybuilding program. It's great! (But it takes time and effort to make progress.)
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 04:46 am
@wmwcjr,
Do u allege that gorgeous looks r disproportionately well represented
among citizens of mediocre native mental ability?

I respectfully dissent from your assertion that gorgeous girls r not born that way,
tho I will admit that it is possible for skillful and artfully adroit
reconstructive surgery, in some instances, to result in a georgeous facial appearance.

David
Amigo

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 04:52 am
I can't think of a bigger waste of time then watching a bunch of men in tights run around in the grass with a ball. It's fucken stupid. If you like it then do it. Don't be an impotent bystander.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 05:03 am

If people want to improve their musculature
and maybe their good health: push ups, swimming,
or running around the block will probably do better than watching guys throw balls around.

David
Amigo

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 05:29 am
@OmSigDAVID,
You know what else they could do good for their musculature......Just turn the TV off. Nature has got to be one of the most exciting things going in modern society. Whatching Sports????? No Way. I will be out doing it....even if it is just a long walk where I have never walked.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 05:50 am
@Amigo,
Amigo wrote:

You know what else they could do good for their musculature......Just turn the TV off.
Nature has got to be one of the most exciting things going in modern society.
Whatching Sports????? No Way. I will be out doing it....even if it is just a long walk where I have never walked.
Good; for safety 's sake, I hope that u will be prepared for all emergenices.

David
Amigo

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 06:13 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I refuse to be prepared for all emergenices.
Amigo

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 06:19 am
I could never leave if I had to do that.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 07:07 am
@Amigo,
I agree. It's catatonia.

Catatonia in airports is becoming a more common occurence.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 08:09 am
@Amigo,
Amigo wrote:
I refuse to be prepared for all emergenices.
I recognize your freedom to refuse.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 06:01 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Actually, I don't believe that there's a link between native mental ability and physical attractiveness one way or the other. I'm sure that physically attractive people run the gamut regarding mental ability. I also believe that some people may choose to not use their minds as much as they could. (I speak from personal experience!) I was not meaning to make a negative stereotype. I was just trying to encourage i_like_1981 to not look in the wrong places for a young lady as a prospective spouse. I still think that unattached young women in pubs are more likely to be shallow than they are to be fit candidates for marriage for men who aren't shallow. The problem is that men zero in on those gals who are gorgeous, which is a perfectly normal male trait.
spendius

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 06:39 pm
@wmwcjr,
Quote:
I still think that unattached young women in pubs are more likely to be shallow than they are to be fit candidates for marriage for men who aren't shallow.

From my extensive experience of pubs I tend to agree with the first part of that statement but not the second. Such young women are ideal brides for intellectuals.
Foofie

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 07:37 pm
Has anyone on this thread made a differentiation between "team sports" and "non-team sports"? I believe the two type of sports can attract different types of athletes. The team sports seems to require a lot of camaraderie, which to some may seem extraneous to the sport. And, individualized sports (i.e., track and field) do not always seem to attract the same type of sports fan.

Anyway, identifying with a team within a specific sport may be no different than identifying with a religion, ethnicity, or nationality? And, the rivalry between sports fans of different teams is fairly civilized compared to the way people competed in history based on religion, ethnicity, or nationality.

Sports and its fans is just part of the popular culture, I believe. It might even be a psychological substitute for war? Or, so it seems when one sees the rivalry amongst the fans of soccer games played between different countries.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 10:43 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:
Actually, I don't believe that there's a link between native mental ability and physical attractiveness one way or the other. I'm sure that physically attractive people run the gamut regarding mental ability. I also believe that some people may choose to not use their minds as much as they could. (I speak from personal experience!) I was not meaning to make a negative stereotype. I was just trying to encourage i_like_1981 to not look in the wrong places for a young lady as a prospective spouse. I still think that unattached young women in pubs are more likely to be shallow than they are to be fit candidates for marriage for men who aren't shallow.

The problem is that men zero in on those gals who are gorgeous, which is a perfectly normal male trait.
According to Darwinian theory, that shoud result in a plethora (or several plethoras) of beautiful girls.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 10:46 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Quote:
I still think that unattached young women in pubs are more likely to be shallow
than they are to be fit candidates for marriage for men who aren't shallow.

From my extensive experience of pubs I tend to agree
with the first part of that statement but not the second.

Such young women are ideal brides for intellectuals.
I have always found hi intelligence to be attractive in chicks

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 11:15 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Has anyone on this thread made a differentiation between "team sports" and "non-team sports"?
ME

Foofie wrote:
I believe the two type of sports can attract different types of athletes.
Yeah; I like gunnery practice.

Foofie wrote:
The team sports seems to require a lot of camaraderie,
which to some may seem extraneous to the sport. And, individualized sports
(i.e., track and field) do not always seem to attract the same type of sports fan.
Probably true.

Foofie wrote:
Anyway, identifying with a team within a specific sport
may be no different than identifying with a religion, ethnicity, or nationality?
And, the rivalry between sports fans of different teams is fairly civilized
compared to the way people competed in history based on religion, ethnicity, or nationality.

Sports and its fans is just part of the popular culture, I believe.
It might even be a psychological substitute for war?
I doubt that sports woud have substituted for war in light of the events of 12/7/1941 or 9/11/1.
We wanted to smite the Japs and the Moslems, not to go and play baseball.

David
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 01:54 am
@I Like 1981,
I Like 1981 wrote:

If so, I may get down the gym, beef myself up and in a few months or perhaps even a year, actually smack one of these "boyfriends" for getting the girl of my dreams! Oh yes, I would love that!

So, you are a "Sports Hater", but you are okay with bullies so long as one of them is you.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 04:00 am
@I Like 1981,
I Like 1981 wrote:
Why do women find sports so sexy in a man?
Is that the only way to prove one's masculinity in this day and age?
If so, I may get down the gym, beef myself up and in a few months
or perhaps even a year, actually smack one of these "boyfriends"
for getting the girl of my dreams! Oh yes, I would love that!
Best regards,
i_like_1981
1981, if u did so and if your victim complained to the police of your criminal assault
and if he sued u tortiously for assault and battery,
what woud be your defense, for either the crime or for the tort?
How woud u comment on the right of the young lady as to her friends?

David