Welcome Sports Haters!

wmwcjr

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 05:07 pm
@spendius,
*sigh* For the record, my daughter was honored in Who’s Who Among American High School Students during her junior and senior years in high school. She graduated summa cum laude from high school. During her junior year at a major university in the state where we reside, she was admitted to Phi Beta Kappa, the national American honor society that was founded in 1776. At the end of the spring semester this year, she graduated magna cum laude with a degree in mathematics. (In other words, she is more than qualified.) She easily could have gotten a job as a statistician -- which certainly would be providing her with a higher salary, and would also be considerably less stressful than teaching. But she chose to become a high-school math teacher instead because she would have been bored working as a statistician. Besides, she loves kids. BTW, I’m not exactly impressed with the National Education Association (which is the teachers union in the US) either.

Again, in ignorance you’ve judged someone you don’t even know, just as you previously did my late father. All this is kind of silly. But typical of board messaging. I've done it myself.
spendius

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 05:55 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
If that has been perpetrated, it is a scandal of usurpation far worse than WATERGATE.

I know Dave. Watergate was blown out of all proportion for no other reason than to distract your attentions. Did you notice any lurches after Mr Ford took over apart from the fact that he had taken over?

spendius

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 06:07 pm
@wmwcjr,
"sighing fairly abstractly".

If you have a "Who’s Who Among American High School Students during their junior and senior years in high school" it is obvious somebody has to be in it. Similarly someone has to graduate summa cum laude otherwise there would be no point to summa cum laudes. And Phi Beta Kappas need applicants and admissions in order to exist. And you can't run degree courses unless someone gets a degree.

It doesn't necessarily mean anything mate. It might do but the incantations don't prove it.

It is rather selfish though, I feel, to deliberately go against the market inducements to be a statistician just because one might be bored and less stressed. What do you think the market inducements are for you silly moo?

That's not concientious in my book.

farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 06:10 pm
@wmwcjr,
dont feel put upon , spendi's entire harge in life is to remind as many of their shortcomings.
spendius

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 06:18 pm
@farmerman,
I knew you were a "dumber-downer" fm. It suffuses all your thoughts.

I recently watched an election campaign that ran along the lines of two camps reminding everybody of each other's shortcomings.

Are you against that principle and in favour of directives from on high?
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 06:46 pm
@farmerman,
Thank you sincerely for the moral support.

Perhaps the reason why spendius spends his time pointing out the supposed shortcomings of people he doesn’t know is because that is easier than correcting the evident shortcomings in his own life. Anyway, it’s no big deal.

But I am going to use the “ignore user” function again. Hey, it’s fun!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 08:50 pm
@spendius,
David wrote:
If that has been perpetrated,
it is a scandal of usurpation far worse than WATERGATE.
spendius wrote:
I know Dave. Watergate was blown out of all proportion
for no other reason than to distract your attentions.
It really was;
it was a hysterical frenzy in the press
for many weeks, like a lynchmob.

spendius wrote:
Did you notice any lurches after Mr Ford took over
apart from the fact that he had taken over?
We were lurchless.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 03:27 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

"sighing fairly abstractly".

If you have a "Who’s Who Among American High School Students during their junior and senior years in high school" it is obvious somebody has to be in it. Similarly someone has to graduate summa cum laude otherwise there would be no point to summa cum laudes. And Phi Beta Kappas need applicants and admissions in order to exist. And you can't run degree courses unless someone gets a degree.

It doesn't necessarily mean anything mate. It might do but the incantations don't prove it.
Your arguments are very poorly reasoned and inconsistent with known fact, Spendius.
Thay r just an ad hominem hatchet job that reflects no credit upon u.

It is nonsense to allege that:
" . . . someone has to graduate summa cum laude . . . ";
no one does and no one will without good grades.

Mediocre students do not graduate cum laude in America.
Maybe thay do in England??

If we take a charitable vu,
we 'll say that u just don 't understand what u r talking about.

David
spendius

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 04:26 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I have read Veblen's The Higher Learning and Hofstadter's Anti-Intellectualism in American Life and much else on this matter. And heard Dylan's Day of the Locusts a few times.

It's nothing new. It is talked about here all the time.

Quote:
no one does and no one will without good grades.

Precisely. They give them good grades. It is you who can't reason Dave. That was a very silly thing to say.

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 04:30 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I think Dave that "very poorly reasoned ", "reflects no credit upon u.", "It is nonsense " and " u just don 't understand what u r talking about" is a bag full of ad hominems.

Don't you?

And you don't have any other arguments.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 12:39 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
I think Dave that "very poorly reasoned ", "reflects no credit upon u.", "It is nonsense "
and " u just don 't understand what u r talking about" is a bag full of ad hominems.

Don't you?
Yes, I DON 'T.
The last one is,
but the others r objective analyses of fact.

It is alone in the bag.

Quote:
And you don't have any other arguments.
How do u know? Because I did not post more?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 12:45 pm

U were just pursuing an ill-conceived ad hominem
attack against Bill and his family; scraping the bottom
of the barrel of ill will.
spendius

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 07:41 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I don't know who Bill is.

Quote:
An ad hominem argument has the basic form:

Person 1 makes claim X
There is something objectionable about Person 1
Therefore claim X is false

An ad hominem is an argument against a person rather than against what he said.

"very poorly reasoned ", "reflects no credit upon u.", "It is nonsense "
and " u just don 't understand what u r talking about" is a bag full of ad hominems. All four are ad hominems.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 09:10 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I don't know who Bill is.

Quote:
An ad hominem argument has the basic form:

Person 1 makes claim X
There is something objectionable about Person 1
Therefore claim X is false

An ad hominem is an argument against a person rather than against what he said.

"very poorly reasoned ", "reflects no credit upon u.", "It is nonsense "
and " u just don 't understand what u r talking about" is a bag full of ad hominems.

All four are ad hominems.

Your liberal mind is showing.

The LAST one is; the others address the subject matter.

Its awkward of u to use an adjective as a noun.

David
spendius

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 09:47 am
@OmSigDAVID,
We do not speak the same language Dave. Communication is impossible.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 10:43 am
@spendius,
I 've noticed that quite a few times.

Sometimes, its as tho u were writing in Chinese.
0 Replies

I Like 1981

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 04:50 pm
@wmwcjr,
Quote:
Again, in ignorance you’ve judged someone you don’t even know, just as you previously did my late father. All this is kind of silly. But typical of board messaging. I've done it myself.

Yeah, it's kind of a rather sports fan-ish trait, isn't it? "It's not really worth listening to what the other person has to say - I like sports, so it's all about MY opinions and I say how things are!" We'd know that, wouldn't we, wmwcjr? Always too quick to voice their own opinions without hearing the other person speak first. How many times we on sportssuck.org have been branded as having "no friends", "never going to get girlfriends", all that bull. You raise a good point, though - 'tis board messaging. None of us have ever met each other and probably never will meet each other. For all we know, the other person could be lying about themselves and we COULD be right! No real way to prove it through the medium of typed on-screen words. Guess that's why people judge each other without knowing the facts on the net. Hell, I do it - I'm always saying how sports fans love to "watch men in tight pants run around and grab each other". But that belief is partly true, as that's what American football is. (And over here in England, rugby.) Whereas on the other hand, the fact that sports haters "have no friends and never go out" is a far more unreasoned assumption and is mostly very off-base!

Best regards,
i_like_1981
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 05:20 pm
@I Like 1981,
I Like 1981 wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, it's kind of a rather sports fan-ish trait, isn't it? "It's not really worth listening to what the other person has to say - I like sports, so it's all about MY opinions and I say how things are!" We'd know that, wouldn't we, wmwcjr? Always too quick to voice their own opinions without hearing the other person speak first. How many times we on sportssuck.org have been branded as having "no friends", "never going to get girlfriends", all that bull. You raise a good point, though - 'tis board messaging. None of us have ever met each other and probably never will meet each other. For all we know, the other person could be lying about themselves and we COULD be right! No real way to prove it through the medium of typed on-screen words. Guess that's why people judge each other without knowing the facts on the net. Hell, I do it - I'm always saying how sports fans love to "watch men in tight pants run around and grab each other". But that belief is partly true, as that's what American football is. (And over here in England, rugby.) Whereas on the other hand, the fact that sports haters "have no friends and never go out" is a far more unreasoned assumption and is mostly very off-base!

Best regards,
i_like_1981
U r free to join groups that r unrelated to sports
and go out with them, e.g., fonetic spelling groups,
or gunnery practice groups or SCUBA diving groups,
fine dining groups, coin collecting groups, chess groups.
The world is your oyster.

David
spendius

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 06:05 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
There are some real freaks who man the ramparts of those activities Dave.

Spending an evening with a fonetic spelling group must be close to the nadir of social intercourse. A knitting circle is above that.

Coin collecting is okay though as long as they are sovereigns, kruggerands, ducats, dubloons and suchlike. Cheques are acceptable often.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 08:33 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
There are some real freaks who man the ramparts of those activities Dave.
I 've known no freaks in gunnery, gold or silver coins, nor SCUBA diving; freakless.

spendius wrote:
Spending an evening with a fonetic spelling group
must be close to the nadir of social intercourse.
A knitting circle is above that.
I 'll defer to your expertise; I 've never tried it; just theoretical.

spendius wrote:
Coin collecting is okay though as long as they are sovereigns, kruggerands,
ducats, dubloons and suchlike. Cheques are acceptable often.
Krugerrands were a good investment. All of my gold or silver coins r antiques.
The centerpiece of my collection is a $10 gold piece from 1795,
the first year of issue of any gold from the USA,
in the highest denomination minted until 1849.
Its minting was authorized by George Washington.
I enjoy the history of it.

David
0 Replies