Memories of 21, 42, 63 ... the 84th meandering

Stradee

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 07:20 pm
@ehBeth,
Looking for a new tv - miss NG's animal programs also and Animal Planet.

Is 'Dogtown' aired in the U.S too?

Stradee

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 07:25 pm
@teenyboone,
Remembering radio Rosary every Saturday night. My mom insisted we all kneel (yep) and pray. Worked well when we were youngins. Smile

No cable cause the tv went on the blink - permanently. New tv's my Christmas present to me. yaaaaaaaaa
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 11:08 am
Good Earthturn all ~

nuther beeeuuutiful day - temps in the 60's w/ clear skies and sunshine.

all clicked n'..........

http://rainforest.care2.com/i?p=583091674
danon5

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 04:00 pm
@Stradee,
Stradee, n' what?? We're all curiously awaiting with abaited breath............Grin

All clicked -------- !
Stradee

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 06:14 pm
@danon5,
n' laundered
n' critter fed
n' vaccumed
n' coffeed
n' breakfasted
n' dressed
n' outsided
n' plant watered
n'.........well.......n'

Very Happy
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 10:36 am
Clicked and making turkey carcass soup.
sumac

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 11:32 am
@sumac,
Danon,

This article is for you: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/01/health/01well.html?th&amp;emc=th<br />
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 11:33 am
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/12/01/world/01caura_CA0/articleLarge.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 12:25 pm
@Stradee,
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/dogtown/all/Overview

Dogtown is on National Geographic.

Quote:
Next season: The follow up episode on the Michael Vick dogs’ progress will premiere in January 2010 on the new season of Dogtown
I'm going to be watching for this episode for sure.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 12:26 pm
@sumac,
oh, and clickery clicked
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 12:40 pm
@ehBeth,
I'll be sure to watch, thanks!

sue, thanks for the article. Gringo's will be paying a lot of money to preserve the rainforests. amazing huh

clicked n' ... heading out for town...

good day all ~

Stradee

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 10:03 pm
@ehBeth,
I'll be watching NG Thursday! Very Happy

on my new tv! sooooooooo excited!
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 07:46 am
@Stradee,
Stradee.
You and Eh Beth said:

@ehBeth,
I'll be sure to watch, thanks!

sue, thanks for the article. Gringo's will be paying a lot of money to preserve the rainforests. amazing huh

clicked n' ... heading out for town...

good day all ~

As an observer, I'll watch too. As an animal lover and lover of the human race, I have a question; Will you both be watching Roman Polanski too?
Seems Mr. Polanski is being released to his home in Gstaad, Switzerland, where he lives in splendor, while Plaxico Burress is doing time, for shooting himself with his own gun. Michael Vick, took the fall for his entourage, living and sponging off him in his luxurious home. He wasn't even there, when the dogs were tortured.

Did it make him right? No! Should he have done time? Seems all Black athletes, be it OJ, who was found innocent, must pay and pay and pay!
I'll say as a Black Person, OJ KNOWS who did it, but it wasn't him, after all of the planting of evidence, false testimony and the racist names he was called by the so-called authorities.

I have been a lover of animals, ALL my 65 years. I am a dog person, but I've had 3 cats too. I've had birds and fish, but now I live in a building, where no pets are allowed. What do I do? I give to PETA and the Humane Society.

Was it okay for Roman Polanski to rape a 13 year old? I don't read anything about that, here. Did the German father who fathered children with his daughter and kept her captive for years deserve jail? You tell me!

What about the man that kidnapped the 11 year old girl, fathered 5 kids with her and was finally reunited with her mother? Do authorities overlook the fact that all 3 men are white? In America, you tell me. Michael did the time that the authorities meted out to him. Are animals more valued than humans? You tell me. Michael Vick is doing community service every week. Are any of these white men doing anything other than excusing themselves for the repeated molestation of 3 white girls? What would happen, if they were Black?

Just an observation, because I click for the environment every day, but Michael Vick has paid his debt to society, lost millions of dollars in income, because his job is Professional athlete. Is he paid too much? This country took away his ability to make a living. Isn't that enough? The media is now homing in on Tiger Woods for "alleged" infidelity. Whose business is it?
I could care less! Don't worry, I've already clicked!
sumac

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 09:25 am
Going to click and meander for interesting articles.
sumac

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 09:34 am
@sumac,
Found one.

December 2, 2009
Editorial
Wolf Hunt

Not everyone was happy when the gray wolf population in the Northern Rockies, near extinction in the mid-1970’s, staged a remarkable comeback under the protections of the Endangered Species Act. By the end of last year there were about 1,650 in Montana, Idaho and Wyoming. Ranchers complained that the wolves were killing their sheep and cattle; hunters complained that they were devastating big game, mainly elk.

So when protections were lifted earlier this year in Idaho and Montana the states immediately approved wolf hunting seasons. But what seemed to be an ordinary big-game hunt, with licenses and duly apportioned quotas (75 in Montana, 220 in Idaho), now looks like the opening of a new front in the age-old war on wolves.

Once the season opened in Montana, some of the most-studied wolves in Yellowstone, including a female that scientists had been tracking for years, were killed almost immediately just outside the park, jeopardizing several scientific studies. The reaction from the state’s wolf program director? “We didn’t think wolves would be that vulnerable to firearms harvest.” By the time Montana’s season ended on Nov. 17, 72 wolves had been shot " 3 short of the state’s quota " out of a total population of some 500.

Nothing lays bare the true point of the wolf season more than Idaho’s recent decision to extend its hunt by three months, ending on March 31. The reason is that hunters have simply not killed enough wolves " only half of the state’s quota of 220 so far.

Environmental groups and other wolf advocates argued, before protections were lifted last spring, that populations across the Northern Rockies had not in fact reached sustainable levels. Having lost that argument, they are now insisting on stronger state management plans, and a moratorium on hunting until such plans can be formulated. This is a fair request. What matters is the survival of not just a few token wolves, but strong, genetically healthy wolf populations.
Stradee

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 12:05 pm
@teenyboone,
Teeny, the word "gringo" was used by a person not from America explaining how the world will save the rainforests. In affect they were saying, "pay us the money we'd lose, and we won't clear rainforest land". "Gringo" was their word. Should have explained that.

Michael Vick ruined his own career, imo, for allowing fighting dogs on his property, and helping to kill animals that were no longer useful. Dog fighting is an horrendous 'sport' the animals brutalized, abused, and killed once they are no longer useful to the 'owner'. Laws are on the books forbidding dog fighting. I can be more graphic with what the animals endure, but you get the idea. Are animals more important then humans? I believe that every sentient being has the right to reside on the planet - treated humanely and justly. Just as no human should "own" another human, so should no animal be subject to abuse. We are guardians, not 'owners'.

I can cite many other areas where animals are used for profit, their needs ignored...daily and brutaly. Animal group supporters are very aware of what animals endure daily from humans. I'm certain you've read about Dufar, and Somalia. The traffic of humans from asia to the United States - slavery and brutality. Humans can be damned brutal.

OJ, imo, was innocent of killing his wife and companion. Never a doubt about that. We can thank the news media and bigots for op eds talking about **** that (you're right) is nobody's business...in the recent case, it's Tiger Woods and his family in the limelight. However, when people become famous, they are placed in the limelight, their lives dissected.
You know how difficult it is for a famous person to go out for a coffee or shop? The damned tabloids papparzi are on their heals constantly. That's the price of fame.

Michael Vick's rehabilitation is a plus, for him, animals rights, and especially the kids who heard and followed the case, who will have a better understanding of how tragedy and the workng together to solve abuse problems, will ultimately be benefcial for humans and animals as well.

Thanks for all you do for the animals, teeny. Without us, they don't have a voice.

0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 01:02 pm
@sumac,
Wolves not 'that' vulnerable to firearms harvest?

jezzuz...

what the hell did they think would happen when permits to kill wolves were given out? Evil or Very Mad

alex240101

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 07:31 am
@Stradee,
Hello Stradee, and all. Clicked.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 09:35 am
Quite right, Stradee. Insane thinking about wolves and firearms.

Going to go click.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 10:30 am
Just some nice prose.

December 3, 2009
Editorial | The Rural Life
When the Wind Stops
By VERLYN KLINKENBORG

This farm lies on an eastward-facing slope, which rises gradually to a thickly wooded ridge in the west. I can feel the mass of that hill whenever the sun goes down, and yet, where wind is concerned, there’s very little lee to it. Last week, the wind came ripping over the crest, knocking down a couple of fence sections and gnawing at the trees with a suctioning, siphoning sound. All day long, the air boomed and roared.

By evening, even the horses were weary. They had been blown about all day as though they weighed a few ounces instead of a thousand pounds apiece. A tree cracks in the distance and they trot, alarmed, across the pasture. A whirlwind of leaves twists past, and they race away from it. The corner of a tarp gets loose, and off they go. They transmit this anxious energy to me, undiluted. I prefer the way the pigs and chickens react. In a high wind, the pigs snooze together at the back of their house, straw pulled over their heads. The chickens sit on their perches, knitting and doing their accounts.

Sometime during the night, the wind dropped and the next morning was nearly still, smoke rising almost straight up from my chimney and from those down the valley. There was a strange sense of propriety about, a primness in the way every tree had relaxed and, at the same time, come back to attention. In this new silence, the horses seemed enveloped in stillness. They were no longer bracing themselves. Their bones and sinews had relaxed.

And I relaxed, too. I stood in the sun feeling the strength of its rays now that the wind wasn’t scattering them. When the wind blows, the horses always stand with their heads facing away from it. In the quiet of the morning, they were no longer magnetized. Without a wind, they were free to face in any direction they chose. Without a wind, the day could go any way it wanted.