a barred spiral galaxy - the rainforest expands - # 58

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 08:35 am
Number 58 !! This is the Fifty-Eighth tread started by our team - AKTBird57!!

We have been daily taking a few minutes to click FREE to save a Rain Forest tree. So far, we have saved over 41 Acres of rain forest and many other very worthwhile causes. All free.

We are currently the Number One team in the world among thousands of teams and over a million people participating.

Please join us and help preserve rain forest! To join, go to the Race for the Rain Forest at Care2.com. Just click on a button and somewhere in the world, you'll save a lot of square feet of rain forest, prairie, or wetlands, -- you choose! Corporate sponsors show their logos when you click, and in return, they pay for the habitat saved.

Just click: http://rainforest.care2.com/welcome?w=856730509

To register for the first time, create your own Distinct Log-in name
and Password. Then each time you visit the site to click you simply
Log-in and click on the Rainforest button. It's that simple. The
site is FREE. If you have a question, we have plenty of answers. FREE.

After clicking, feel free to post on this thread. We have the most
wonderful and helpful group of people clicking here. Any time you can't
click, we can arrange for a substitute to click for you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 18,608 • Replies: 282
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 08:38 am
The number 58 - what does it mean?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

58 is the natural number following 57 and preceding 59.

Fifty-eight is the sum of the first seven prime numbers, an 11-gonal number, and a Smith number. Given 58, the Mertens function returns 0. There is no answer to the equation x - φ(x) = 58, making 58 a noncototient.

In science

* The atomic number of cerium, a lanthanide

In astronomy,

Messier object M58, a magnitude 11.0 galaxy in the constellation Virgo

The New General Catalogue object (http://www.ngcic.org/) NGC 58, a barred spiral galaxy in the constellation Cetus. It is also the object designated as NGC 47

The Saros number (http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/SEsaros/SEsaros1-175.html) of the solar eclipse series which began on -1114 June 7 and ended on 166 July 14. The duration of Saros series 58 was 1280.1 years, and it contained 72 solar eclipses.

The Saros number (http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/LEsaros/LEsaros1-175.html) of the lunar eclipse series which began on -812 March 16 and ended on 486 May 4. The duration of Saros series 58 was 1298.1 years, and it contained 73 lunar eclipses.

In other fields

Fifty-eight is also:

* The code for international direct dial phone calls to Venezuela.
* Part of the title of a collection of songs by Esther Lee, Fifty-Eight Now Nine.
* The year AD 58, 58 BC, or 1958.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

thanks to Wikipedia for the above
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 08:39 am
Man - I hafta get back into this. I have been sadly remiss.

Apropos of galaxies, I rea dthat the light from non solar system planets has been seen at last! They were Jupiter-type planets - and emit some light of their own, or some such thing.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 08:41 am
http://home.cwru.edu/~sjr16/media/galaxy_spiral_ngc613.jpg

pretty objects, aren't they
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 08:43 am
yup - that was just at the end of # 57, dlowan
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 08:50 am
Oh.

Blush.

It is very exciting, isn't it?

And I have just read that:

"Crater Count Confusion
The method used to estimate the ages of various regions of Mars is seriously flawed, scientists have realised. Previously, geologists have calculated age by counting the number of craters in any given spot - the more craters, the older the surface. But it has now been realised that some of the craters included in the count might actually have been formed from debris ejected by the smashing impacts of massive meteorites. The upshot is that we can now only pin down the age of some surfaces to an accuracy of 10 million years. This uncertainty will probably persist until actual rock samples from Mars are dated..."

And - clicked again. I note seals have been added.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 08:53 am
Science is exciting, isn't it!

You'll need to stick your whiskers in here occasionally, dlowan ie. Matrix and others often pop in really interesting links to goings on around the world and the solar system.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 09:00 am
Hi dlowan!! From this wabbit to you - glad to see ya!

Morning ehBeth,
HAPPY EASTER!!! (jumping around gathering eggs) Thanks for the new thread...........

Good clicking AKTeam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 09:11 am
Indeed - normally I just click - but I have, as I said, been very remiss of late.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 09:40 am
Such good reading you guys! Thanks for the new thread ehBeth!

Returning late from working each evening, I miss my computer and reading all your terrific posts!

HAPPY EASTER WILDCLICKERS! HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!

http://www.flagandbanner.com/f-b-images/DBANNT2234.jpg
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 11:05 am
Pretty picture, Beth!

I've clicked.

Am happy to report that the torrential rains have ceased & the skies are now just drippy like a nose with a bad cold. I did notice this morning that one of the wheelbarrows was filled to the brim with water. That's a lot of rain! I want my global warming skies again!!! We've been basking in it all winter. <sigh>

Here's an interesting news blurb from earlier this month:
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/41523.html
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 11:24 am
Interesting article, Piffka.

from the lead-in

Quote:
How To Prepare a Planet for Global Warming

By Peter N. Spotts
Christian Science Monitor
03/18/05 7:34 AM PT

While the concept of climate-change commitment isn't new, these fresh results "tell us what's possible and what's realistic" and that for the immediate future, "prevention is not on the table," says Roger Pielke Jr., director of the Center for Science and Technology Policy Research at the University of Colorado at Boulder.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 11:57 am
And a very Happy Easter to all my threadmates.
0 Replies

Joan Lee

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 12:07 pm
Hi everyone! Nice new thread, thanks! Still clicking away every morning.

And Happy Easter to everyone.
0 Replies

Joan Lee

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 12:09 pm
Hi everyone! Nice new thread, thanks! Still clicking away every morning.

And Happy Easter to everyone.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 12:53 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Interesting article, Piffka.

<nodding>

.................... Happy Easter, everyone! Happy Spring!!![/i]

0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 01:13 pm
rainforest 58
Threadmates- that has a nice sound, Merry Andrews.
Happy Easter to all. Dlowan - so nice to see you - funny to think you're heading into winter just as most of us are heading into spring.

Danon - hope Patti is coming alone well. I think you are part of the MyFamily site. Morganwood asked that we clear out photos to make space, so if you haven't seen my series on the Dordogne, here's your last chance.

Thanks for the brand new shiny thread, ebeth.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 03:13 pm
Thanks for the warning wayfarer, yes, I've seen your photos and have made some copies to take along with our planned visit. Also, I cleared my photos from the thread months ago. I do hope the thread stays on line. It is so interesting to see fellow clickers in a good setting.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 04:15 pm
WAYFARER??!!!! Wow!!! Hello!!!

Hey, Danon - we are in our Easter costumes!!
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 07:05 pm
Yeah dlowan,
It's occasionally a good thing to be a Wabbit!!! grin.......
0 Replies