Volume #59/ The Rainforest Spring!

Stradee

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 11:03 pm
http://www.bluebirdgardens.com/graphics/tuliptoolsthrow200.jpg

Welcome AKTIBIRDs57 to the newest rainforest thread!

Spring has finally arrived and your clicking has saved 42 Acres of rainforest! 42 ACRES!!!!!!!!!!!

We are currently the Number One team in the world among thousands of teams and over a million people participating.

Please join us and help preserve rain forest! To join, go to the Race for the Rain Forest at Care2.com. Just click on a button and somewhere in the world, you'll save a lot of square feet of rain forest, prairie, or wetlands, -- you choose! Corporate sponsors show their logos when you click, and in return, they pay for the habitat saved.

Just click: http://rainforest.care2.com/welcome?w=856730509

To register for the first time, create your own Distinct Log-in name
and Password. Then each time you visit the site to click you simply
Log-in and click on the Rainforest button. It's that simple. The
site is FREE. If you have a question, we have plenty of answers. FREE.

After clicking, feel free to post on this thread. We have the most
wonderful and helpful group of people clicking here. Any time you can't
click, we can arrange for a substitute to click for you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 21,216 • Replies: 336
No top replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 12:19 am
Welcome Spring, wildclickers!

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/springfield/egret.jpg

The great egret, and its smaller relative, the snowy egret were almost exterminated during the late 1800's when plume hunters killed thousands of these beautiful birds in their nesting colonies. The soft, lace-feathered plumes which develop on their heads and backs during the nesting season were very popular on ladies' hats. Their profit potential was even more beautiful to feather hunters. Laws prohibiting plume hunting came in just in time to save them from extinction.
Refuges were set aside for the preservation of the egrets. They helped to form the foundation of the present refuge system. The egrets have been found increasing numbers since that time. Both great and snowy egrets are found in Oregon, with the largest numbers in east-side marshlands. Egrets also show up in western Oregon during the winter. They can be seen in the coastal bays and in Willamette Valley ponds. Building concentrations have developed at Fern Ridge Reservoir in recent years.

In recent years the white-feathered cattle egret has become a consistent Oregon visitor. This small, hump-shouldered egret is native to Africa and the Philippine Islands. It was purposefully introduced to South America and spread to Florida in the early 1950's. Since then its range has expanded north and westward. The first Oregon sighting occurred in 1965. Cattle egrets typically frequent open fields near livestock, where they feed on insects stirred up by animal hooves. They will also hitch a ride on the backs of cattle and horses, snacking on insects found there.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 03:10 am
Morning, Stradee. Thanx for the new thread. Lovely egret.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 07:07 am
Found you and clicked!

Morning Stradee and Marry Andrew!
0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 09:02 am
Rainforest 59
Thanks for the new thread and the lovely egret,Stradee.

The only thing wrong with Malta was that the men are pathological maniacs about bird hunting. It's a national disgrace and they may be saved by their entry into the E.U> which will try to control or stop that distructive sport.

Danon - a frayed knot indeed - you are too much!
In my young days, I was crazy about flying - a bone vide member of the Civil Air Patrol during the war. I remember helping to repair a Piper Cub, replacing fabric on the inside, using dope and almost getting as high as a kite without realizing what was happening. Good old days.
0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 09:05 am
Also, Danon, I went back to our previous thread to reference the Maltese website you had found(Page 11) It is full of great stuff. Thanks again!
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 09:09 am
Good morning Merry and Maggie!

Beautiful weather today, warm 70's. Hope you all have a great day!

<thanks for the intro ehBeth> Smile

Working takes most of my computer time lately, so please feel free to post all your favorite seasonal subects.

all clicked
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 09:13 am
pwayfarer, have you gotten your pictures yet? Could you also post the link from Danon here! Thanks Smile
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 09:34 am
pwayfarer, never could figure out why anyone shoots birds! We're attempting to pass legislation halting Dove hunting <again>!

DOVE hunting! Confused
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 10:00 am
Care2 Inspirational Quotes of Spring ~

Spring passes and one remembers one's innocence. Summer passes and one remembers one's exuberance. Autumn passes and one remembers one's reverence. Winter passes and one remembers one's perseverance.
--Yoko Ono

Spring is nature's way of saying, "Let's party!"
--Robin Williams

April prepares her green traffic light and the world thinks Go.
--Christopher Morley

Spring is when you feel like whistling even with a shoe full of slush.
--Doug Larson

Nothing is so beautiful as spring - when weeds, in wheels, shoot long and lovely and lush; Thrush's eggs look little low heavens, and thrush through the echoing timber does so rinse and wring the ear, it strikes like lightning to hear him sing.
--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems.
--Rainer Maria Rilke

In the Spring, I have counted 136 different kinds of weather inside of 24 hours.
--Mark Twain

Science has never drummed up quite as effective a tranquilizing agent as a sunny spring day.
--W. Earl Hall
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 02:08 pm
Thanks for the marvellous new thread, Stradee.

I'm, as the young uns say, mad wild for egrets. Still recall the first time I saw them, live and in person, in Hilton Head. One of the things I love most about Chincoteague/Assateague Island is the egrets riding on the ponies backs.

<sigh>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 04:59 pm
You and your 283 friends have supported 1,815,379.9 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 37,217.7 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 283 friends have supported: (37,217.7)

American Prairie habitat supported: 34,336.9 square feet.
You have supported: (9,761.7)
Your 283 friends have supported: (24,575.2)

Rainforest habitat supported: 1,743,825.3 square feet.
You have supported: (160,137.9)
Your 283 friends have supported: (1,583,687.4)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 Aktbird57 .. 1081 41.675 acres
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 07:55 pm
Good morning
Stradee wrote:
Good morning Merry and Maggie!

Beautiful weather today, warm 70's. Hope you all have a great day!

<thanks for the intro ehBeth> Smile

Working takes most of my computer time lately, so please feel free to post all your favorite seasonal subects.

all clicked

Good evening Stradee,
I got most of my stuff in storage today..... and oh boy do I hurt tonight. I have muscles aching in places where I had long since forgotten! Hot bath, heating pad tonight. Nice and cool today so it was a pleasant day for all the running around.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 09:43 pm
Hey!! A new thread!!!!!!!

Thanks Stradee,
Your efforts are magnificently appreciated. We are family - the Wildclickers!!!

THANK YOU ALL FOR CARING.

This is the theme of our efforts - saving a tree a day. And the fact is, we as a team are doing it.

----------------------------------------

Hey Merry Andrew and wayfarer,
You would be right about the fragrance enduced "trip" except for the fact that "A&P's" - (that's Airframe {structural stuff} and Powerplant {engines and stuff}) technicians normally use specially configured masks to prevent those "fumes" from being inhaled.

Hmmmmm, might have to give it a go - NAAAA!!

I tried Mary Jane in '74 for the first time and got sick - that's the only thing I ever tried. Never did it again - or anything else.

wayfarer!!!!
CAP! I was watching the skies during WWII as a youngster for all sorts of aircraft - we, myself and my brothers, would daily go about looking for metal things to give to the War effort. We actually collected a lot of metal. (We lived on a railroad, the Texas and Pacific)

ehBeth,
Whats this 41.675 acres stuff??????
This morning we had 42.486 acres!!!!!!?????????/

Regardless, I'm ready to start clicking for you Wednesday.

Hang Ten AKTeam!!
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 10:33 pm
Your're welcome, Wildclickers

EhBeth, I knew there was a very good reason for my copy/pasting most of the intro from your last rainforest thread! Very Happy

Cattle Egret ~
http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/Infocenter/Photo/Images/h2001p3.jpg

Please tell me more about Canadian Egrets!

Maggie, packing and moving isn't fun, but keep picturing your new home! Farmland, no more hurricanes, lovely meadows, no more hurricanes, a new garden, and no more hurricanes! Smile
A big hug for Graig too!

Dan, yer very welcome! I luv all ya all Wildclickers!!

You guys are the best!

Good evening all ~
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 07:14 am
Morn'n,

All clicked....................

Stradee,
There are lots and lots of Egrets here in NE TX and more as you go S in LA. Pretty birds they are.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 09:40 am
http://images.wildernet.com/graphics/california/cntyparks/santaclara/images/edlevin.jpg

Danon, I found an interesting story about Egrits from a Northern CA park. The county began stocking fish for the recreational area, and Egrets thrive at Lake Levin. There are areas of Sacramento where Egrets and Herons live, plus there's a wildlife preserve I haven't visited yet, but am planning an excursion during the summer. Lake Levin located in Milpitas near Calavares Road - along the peninsula of SF.

One of Santa Clara County's most unique regional park and recreation areas. This 1,544-acre park combines the traditional features of an urban park such as picnicking, fishing and play areas, with the complex trail system of many regional wilderness parks. Ed Levin's expansive lawn areas make it an ideal spot for family outings, while the rolling grasslands and oak woodlands are available to visitors looking for a back-to-nature experience. The park's Monument Peak provides a spectacular view of the valley floor and the San Francisco Bay.

Have a good day all ~

clicked
0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 03:30 pm
Rainforest 59
When I said "dope", Danon, that was the only name I knew for that heady stuff used to glue the airplane fabric. What IS the real name?

I'm going off to look for that link in "spiral neb".
0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 03:37 pm
rain 59
Here's the link tat Danon found;

http://www.jimdiamondmd.com/MaltaTemples.htm

Hope it works.
0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 03:38 pm
That, that is.
0 Replies