Memories of 21, 42, 63 ... the 84th meandering

farmerman

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 11:49 am
@Stradee,
I have to catch up. , Ill do some of that this evening. Im at an antique auction right now and its going really slow. The auctioneer is selling tea cups and saucers as SEPARATE lots. Ill be here all evening, and Im only interested in two items. (These country auctions dont take fone bids)
Stradee

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 01:53 pm
Even though today, Interior Secretary Salazar said wolves in the Northern Rockies and Yellowstone region would be delisted {Defenders will fight the ruling} there is also good news from Ranchers and those determined to live and coexist with wolves and all wildlife without needless slaughter.

February 18, 2009 Defenders Of Wildlife
Congratulations Lava Lake...
Last week one of our long term proactive partners, Lava Lake Land & Livestock, won the U.S. Forest Service's prestigious National Rangeland Management Award. Lava Lake won this award for its many progressive conservation practices, including its use of non-lethal wolf deterrents to reduce conflicts with its sheep. Last summer, Lava Lake was involved in the Big Wood River Valley Wolf Project, one of our most ambitious projects to date. Congratulations to Mike Stevens, manager, and the two owners, Brian and Kathleen Bean.

danon5

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 05:04 pm
@Stradee,
Hey everyone - and you too, Farmerman......grin

Hope your ankle is ok, teeny. Good to hear from you.

FMan, try to stick around, every once in awhile this thread gets rolling - down a river - as you know who said in a song. Plus, the big deal is I need some male to back me up with all these ladies.
Stradee

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 05:05 pm
@farmerman,
Good luck with your purchases, Farmerman! Smile

0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 05:13 pm
@farmerman,
Oh, and I like your avatar - is it from the Civil War? I recall you are an historian.

I do have to tell you that in fact I am a fifth cousin to Robert E. Lee..... True story. He is the only fifth cousin I claim kin to.

If your pic in your avatar is a Northern Aggressor - I don't hold it against you and don't mind.

PS: You don't have to remind me who fired the first shots in that conflict.......Bigger Grin
Stradee

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 05:14 pm
@danon5,
Hi Dan!

You and Farmerman have a lot in common. Antique collecting is one of your hobbies also, sharing interesting photos at many of the rainforest threads.

Well, just stopping for a lunch break.

Daylight Savings time is here again - don't forget to set clocks ahead one hour.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 05:17 pm
@farmerman,
I used to love to go to auctions, but I'd need a barn if I bought anymore without starting to sell things.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 06:46 pm
@ehBeth,
the catch from one of my favourite auction days

http://images.ladypb298.multiply.com/image/2/photos/11/400x400/2/good-day-at-potters.jpg?et=7oXuybPVu1ESoet6Gb%2BJSA&nmid=2163877455
Stradee

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 08:20 pm
@ehBeth,
Beth, are the geese wicker? The blanket awsome! Treasures!

When i saw your photo, ran to the shed where i keep a few antiques, and there in a metal bread tin were my three little wicker geese adorned with gingham ribbons!

Will take photos tomorrow! Very Happy
ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 09:23 pm
@Stradee,
The geese are made of tamarack. They're from Moose Factory. I've got close to a dozen of them now. You rinse them with warm water at least once a year to keep the tamarack from becoming brittle. They smell wonderful after their rinse. It's a bit like having sweet grass in the room.

http://www.wawataynews.ca/archive/all/2008/8/21/Wood-decoys-take-artistic-turn_13824

http://www.chichesterinc.com/images/TamarackGeeseDecoysLg.jpg

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 09:28 pm
@ehBeth,
http://www.everything2.org/title/Tamarack%2520goose

how to make a tamarack goose

Quote:
I made one when I was in public school in Moosonee, Ontario. I was about eight. It was the first time I'd made one, so it wasn't great, but I was quite proud of it. It was for some random activity day at school; I chose this instead of, say, learning how to make bannock or singing songs with the guy who played guitar. You could buy them all over town, though; a lot were sold to the tourists and the white people who lived in town. I don't think they had been used as decoys in a long, long time.
danon5

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 10:27 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth, you are indestructable............. Happy Grin

Anyone looking at this thread who gives a damn about our earth and it's future - will clock on and click once per day - and if you can't - ask us and we will click for you. ehBeth has been clicking for the original AKTeam57 originator of this thread for approximately NINE years now. However, I must mention that the Original AKT has been clicking for himself lately.

In one of my favorite ladies words = "It's a good thing."

sumac

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 06:20 am
Hi farmerman. I neglected to greet you earlier. I love country auctions, but selling the cups and saucers in separate lots is ridiculous.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 06:26 am
Though I don't post here that often - I'm still a regular clicker, like in the past years Wink
farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 07:20 am
@danon5,
The first shot of the Civil War is arguably the Chjristiana Riot of 1851, when Mr W Gorsuch, attempting to retrieve slaves whod slipped into Pa from his plantation in MAryland, was shot and killed by the rioters and several "yankees" The slave hunters , then organized to retrieve slaves for a fee, never came to that area of Pa gain because even the Quakers were armed and considered dangerous.

Im no historian, Im more a "spermologist" I really never managed to connect the entire web of historical occurneces into a single framework of cause and effect. Thats what I envy most of guys like Setanat. He doesnt quit at the surface of the event, but delves into what that eb=vent had as an effect on the world at large and the times in general.
No, Im still a practicing geologist who will be leaving for his jobsite in ARgentina in a few weeks. (with my laptop and G3, i can cruiese into A2K from anywhere now, technology is neat , all I need is time to figure out how to run Photoshop)

I was at an auction yesterday and ran several bids on some NILOAK pottery. I collect Arts n Crafts (AMerican) pottery, Indian Artifacts (paleo only) and blanket chests from Pa. My wife collects quilts and niddy noddys and old sewing stuff. I ran several bids up but was not willing to go that ultimate mile to say "Screw it, I want this at all costs" That I consider ill advised. I came home and ran a google on the NILOQAK candlestnds and saw that they were obtainable for less than 125 each. (And I ran the bidding up to 250 a pop when I said Screw it and let the other two guys fight it out")
I cant figure out what the market has done since these two guys were dealers and dealers are usually cautious about their "overexuberant bidding".

Sorry for the BS but Ill be checking in daily if noit more. (Do they take off for spelling?)
farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 07:24 am
@ehBeth,
Dont let gungasnake see those tamarind sculptures. To him it would be proof poitive that dinosaurs still live!
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 07:35 am
clickety click click click...
teenyboone

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 08:19 am
@ehBeth,
Beautiful and so vibrant!
ehBeth

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 08:20 am
@danon5,
G'day Danon.

The aktbird always clicked for himself at the beginning. Then he got busy with his capsicain candy business and gave two of us the team password to keep up with the info and his clicks for the team. He's been a very active clicker again for some time - he posted once about his race to click before I could get to his account Laughing so there are two races going on ... one for the rainforest and one for the aktbird clicks Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 08:24 am
@Walter Hinteler,
G'day Walter. It's nice to see you posting here.

It'll keep Danon happy for a bit - too many girrrrrrrrrrrls here Wink

We could definitely benefit from some of your fresh air photography on occasion.

Thanks for dropping in (I do see your click count growing over the years).
0 Replies