LIMBAUGH, "I HOPE HE FAILS..."

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 12:36 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

You can't just wish that someone will fail without any qualifiers.

You have to fail at SOMETHING.

I think your making an issue out of nothing.

Very true.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 06:04 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
think your making an issue out of nothing.
Quote:
You are allowed to turn a thread about after the third page so I cant disagree with your post. However my initial point has not been successfully countered since Rush, like an impersonator of Clement Vellandigham, has decided to bite at the country's leader after a few days of the leaders swearing in(Congress hasnt even acknowledged the content of Obamas first proposal, but theyre already against it). Rush's use of the "Wrapped ina flag"invective , without any evidence is merely a publicity stunt so he can keep his weenies content.

A very large audience uses the Rush brainfart as a substitute for their own thinking , consequently the more outrageous he can be, the more his followers soak it up without question

Quote:
You have to fail at SOMETHING.

WOw , you certainly can dig out the deeper meaning from things

My point , to use another metaphor, is that you dont walk on a plane and yell out to all in earshot that you hope the pilot fails. Thatll get you arrested in an airport, but it only gets you an audience in radioland, and its done without any recourse.

parados

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 07:48 am
@farmerman,
If you want to make Limbaugh irrelevant, its time to hit him where it hurts, his sponsors. What company is going to want to risk pissing off 70% of it's potential customers? Drive down the ad revenues and you make Limbaugh unprofitable.

I'm not the first to think of this.
A partial list of advertisers can be found here:
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/4/24/121022/830
Write them to complain.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 08:07 am
@farmerman,
Great a new metaphor!

Ok, your statement about the pilot implies that you hope he fails at 'flying the plane.'

Rush's comment about Obama failing implies that he fails at deploying his 'liberal agenda.'

What do you think Rush meant when he said that he hopes Obama fails?

I think he meant, and he later clarified, that he meant that he hopes that Obama fails to implement his policies because Rush disagrees with them. Nothing anti-American about that, in fact that is what it means to be American.
maporsche

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 08:14 am
@farmerman,
I think it important if we are going to continue this conversation that those opposed to what Rush was saying explain what they think Rush meant when he said that he hopes Obama fails.

Please tell me WHAT you think Rush hoped Obama would fail at.
Thomas

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 08:38 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
Please tell me WHAT you think Rush hoped Obama would fail at.

I'm not sure that if you want someone to fail, you necessarily want them to fail at something. For example, when Farmerman said he wanted Limbaugh to fail, it read like just another way of saying "I want to see egg on his face".
maporsche

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 08:47 am
@Thomas,
I'm pretty sure that's a misuse of the word but assuming that's what Rush meant, well I don't have a problem with that either. I often wished that Bush would get egg on his face. For example, I laughed quite hard when he fell off the Segway.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 09:16 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
Rush's comment about Obama failing implies that he fails at deploying his 'liberal agenda.'
Thats my entire point. His addition of the qualifier of "his liberal agenda" was done AFTER about 10 minutes of yadda yadda, and stating that "I hope he fails" and he said it with one of his high volume declarations. Then , I believe that he got some dissent from his audience about being too "out there" and he started adding more qualifiers. Ive heard the actual clips and they were from his program and they werent doctored as Thomas seems to believe.,

His tone connoted that he wanted Obama, as president, to fail , and implicit in that was that the country would be better off in chaos than with a liberal leader. This is NOT true American. It is yelling fire in a theater (IMHO).
I lived through the Bush years and never asked for his downfall. He supplied that unrequested. I dont ever want a president to fail, there are way too many important issues that transcend mere political philosophies. Obama is our president to whom.weve tied an almost impossible . Very childish and Gut sniping from blubber mouths like Limbaugh just are inappropriate at this time. Limbaugh feels safe in his cocoon, hes detached from the mainstream.
Im in an upper middle class and Im scared for our economic future. Weve gotta get it right or its the Long Depression all over. (A period that culminated with the Gilded Age and robber barons)

Limbaugh doesnt care, hes the demagogue like the Lonesome Roads character. He really doesnt give a **** about us. He only cares about short term ratings and this has been a ratings grab game. Ive been listening to Rush this week just to hear, and hes using his clip quite regularly. So Ill rest my case and , although Im disturbed by his speech, It appears Im in a very small minority. I can live with that.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 09:35 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Limbaugh doesnt care... He really doesnt give a **** about us.
He only cares about short term ratings and this has been a ratings grab game.

We had a president just like that... what was his name???
Clinton, yeah - Bill Clinton.

http://www.athenswater.com/images/PrezBO.jpg
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 09:51 am
@farmerman,
Wait a minute...you think that the general statement by Rush of "I hope he (Obama) fails" implies that Rush wants the country to be in chaos?

Seriously?

If so, then I think you're letting your hatred of Rush cloud your judgement.
farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 12:13 pm
@maporsche,
Youre a bit overdramatizing my thread. I was reporting what RUSH said, you are trying to transfer my reaction into some other level that is just flat wrong. There are no implications of me that you can glean, other than my feelings that Rush is being totally childish and acting inappropriately as a citizen in order to pimp his show.

I dont listen to Limbaugh unless Im on a long ride and need some laughs. I object to much of what he says but I dont think he should be silenced. Hes a bufoon, not a journalist. Hes as big an entertainer as Oprah and his salary is commensurate with his ratings. He fills some kind of void in the national voice.
He is , however, IMO no conservative , hes a hate mongering ideologist.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 12:16 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
His tone connoted that he wanted Obama, as president, to fail , and implicit in that was that the country would be better off in chaos than with a liberal leader.
Why didnt you just quote me completely. I said, implicit in that statement was that Rush wants chaos. WHY? cause theres another Congressional election in 2 years and hes a kingmaker in his own mind.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 12:25 pm

A large and growing number of Americans hope PrezBO
fails in his attempt to institutionalize his liberal agenda.

0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 12:42 pm
@farmerman,
Well then I think you're simply wrong.

His statement does NOT imply that he prefers chaos. It implies that he prefers not to have liberal polices adopted.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 03:11 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

His statement does NOT imply that he prefers chaos. It implies that he prefers not to have liberal polices adopted.

Correct!

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 08:03 pm
@H2O MAN,
maporsche wrote:

... It implies that he prefers not to have liberal polices adopted.

rush is out of the mainstream. that seems to happen to junkies.

0 Replies

TilleyWink

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 12:43 am
@farmerman,
Limbaugh alway fails as far as I am concerned all the whinning, eewhew, it hurs my ears and makes not sense at all to me.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 01:46 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
Personal invective like "cheap ploy"
tells us only that u lack sufficient powers of articulation
to indicate anything that u allege to be rong with it,
merely indicating that u don t like it.

It's apparent to all save an idiot what the cheap ploy was, David.
I'm certain that HS knows exactly the cheap ploy she employed.

She could have, had she been consistent and not hypocritical, employed it on any of your postings.

And you, a mensa, can't figure it out. Imagine that.

1 ) Can it be that u object
to other peoples' failure to understand your hallucinations ?

2 ) What is it exactly that u allege
that she falsely claims TO BELIEVE ?

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 01:58 am
I think the farmer inadvertently
failed to detect my post to his thread,
so I will offer him another opportunity to comment
on my response to him, as follows:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

farmerman wrote:

Quote:
If a president pursues an agenda that I think is bad for the country, of course I want him to fail!

MAybe in quiet water times this wouldnt be offensive. We are in very turbulent times with an economy at risk. To state these wishes on the airwaves to an audience of mouth breathing foamheads is unconscionable. Using the canoe metaphor, limbaugh wants the other side of the canoe to spring a hole and sink, his side will be ok. Oh really?.

Let 's try it THIS WAY, Farmer:
at the end of the Weimar Republic an economy was at risk.
An articulate, charismatic fellow promised to fix the economy.
Most woud agree that he SUCCEEDED in effecting
a stronger economy than the Weimar Republic had.

Do u think it was worth it ?

If anyone had wished that he 'd fail,
woud that have been unconscionable ?

I wanna hear this. . . .

David
farmerman

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 04:26 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Let 's try it THIS WAY, Farmer:
at the end of the Weimar Republic an economy was at risk.
An articulate, charismatic fellow promised to fix the economy.
Most woud agree that he SUCCEEDED in effecting
a stronger economy than the Weimar Republic had.

Do u think it was worth it ?

If anyone had wished that he 'd fail,
woud that have been unconscionable ?

I wanna hear this

Youre right, I didnt catch it

Arent you being overdramatic Dave? I dont believe Rush has a "Hitler detector" as you imply. Hes just a buffoon with a radio show. HE embodies all that is harmful when celebrity meets responsibility.
Tell ya what, Im going to listen to Limbaugh for a few days and Ill report back ANYTHING he says that can be construed as a positive suggestion or a solution to help the country out of the mess that his party of choice was recently instrumental in creating.

Ill bet that's not what hes made of. He just likes yelling fire in a crowded theater.