What does Jesus want?

Francis

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 02:51 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
Pretty prophetic - 2000 years on. I don't think, even if you're not a believer ,you can throw all of his ideas away out of hand. He is worth a listen sometimes.

He is not more worth to listen to than the myriads of other wise men since the dawn of humankind: Confucius, Lao tzu, Buddah, all the Greek, ancient and modern philosophers.

They gave a lot of thought about the very nature of man, which essentially didn't change along the centuries.

That's why they seem prophetic, when they were just being pragmatic.

Again, in the case of Secondchance, which is a typical case of Christians illogism, she forgot some of the teachings of the bible:

God warned people from blindly following the golden calf, what in my view, most religious people do..
aidan

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 04:34 am
@Francis,
Francis said:
Quote:
He is not more worth to listen to than the myriads of other wise men since the dawn of humankind: Confucius, Lao tzu, Buddah, all the Greek, ancient and modern philosophers

I totally agree - I just happen to know more about what Jesus says than most of the others because his is the tradition of wisdom and teachings that I happened to be raised in (and anyway - that's what this thread is about - what Jesus says and what Jesus wants).

And I also agree about pragmatism informing prophecy - that's pretty much what wisdom is -although I have to say that I've always sort of thought it unfair and stereotypical to separate out those with money in that way - I understand the LOVE of money and material things hampering the development of someone's spirituality, but I don't think that people with money should all be stereotyped as necessarily LOVING it and valuing it above all other things - or putting it first - so I've always taken that teaching 'It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven (again, which I believe could be allegorical- I'm not particularly picturing an actual physical place in the clouds) with a grain of salt.
0 Replies