What does Jesus want?

Foofie

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2008 01:15 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Southern U.S. Americans usually use the term Yankee to connote those Americans living in the states that were Union states during the Civil War.

Yankee also means any American that is at least the third generation born in the U.S. (perhaps used in a context to show one is far removed from any immigrant ancestry).

In Europe, especially Britain, it means a U.S. citizen.

There are different stories as to the origin of the term Yankee. I prefer the one about New Amsterdam and the British.

Regardless of where the term Protestant came from, I personally think the faith has evolved far beyond Luther's nailing those 96 complaints on the church door in 1520, or so. And, those countries that the Reformation (another term not mentioned in this thread - perhaps it has a different connotation) came to tended to make Jews citizens. Was this due to Protestantism, or the Enlightenment?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2008 01:17 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

I went to public school, and did listen to the 23rd Psalm every morning over the loudspeaker. I never thought of it as Protestant?

I know that only from funerals, Protestant/Evangelical as well as Catholic.
But I could imagine that we'd liked that at school ... (though, of course, on a public school there was no whatever -official- morning prayer).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2008 03:13 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Besides that - I'd thought the term 'Yankee' was first used by Mark Twain, was used for the "Northerners" of the Union during the Civil War and is still a term used for US-Americans in general.

The term was in use before Samuel Clemens was born. Strictly speaking, the term refers to New Yorkers. The most likely derivation is from the Dutch Jan Kaas (more less meaning "John Cheese"), being roughly a form like "John Doe," to denote an "everyman." Another proposed derivation is from an Iroquois-Huron word for an Englishman. At the time of the American revolution it was applied to any native-speaker of English from the colonies of the Atlantic seaboard. By the early 19th century, it was applied equally to the inhabitants of New England as to New Yorkers. If the Dutch derivation is correct, it would go a long way to explain why it would have originally been applied to denizens of New York.

The application of the term by the English to all the people of the rebelling colonies probably accounts for its widespread use as a generic term for Americans ("Yankee go home"). Although i can't say why it came to be identified with the inhabitants of New England, i'd say that contemporary Americans outside the "Old South" usually apply it to New Englanders, rather than to New Yorkers. With the dramatic changes to the demographics of the South over the last three or four decades, i'd suggest the term is less commonly used there than it once was. Far too many of those who now inhabit the South, at least in urban areas, are originally from the north. There are extremes, of course. I knew a native Floridian who considered that anyone who came from north of Interstate 4 was a Yankee. That would be on a line roughly from Tampa to Titusville-Cocoa Beach, and would be the northern half of Florida and all the rest of the country. I suggest that it is no longer much used by Americans in common speech, unless they are discussing baseball.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2008 03:24 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
And, those countries that the Reformation (another term not mentioned in this thread - perhaps it has a different connotation) came to tended to make Jews citizens. Was this due to Protestantism, or the Enlightenment?

Neither. Jews didn't get the rights as citizens as in the first half of the 19th century. Some countries - Evangelical as well as Catholic - gave Jews some "rights" in so far as they became "Schutzjuden" ('protected Jew'). Personally, I don't think that this really changed their previous life a lot, but at least it was an official right.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2008 03:25 pm
@Setanta,
Thanks, Set and Fofie, for those infos.
0 Replies

secondchance

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 03:51 pm
@boomerang,
He wants us to follow His word and not to ask questions. Everything happens for a reason, His reason. Do not question that and all of the questions that you have will come to you in due time
djjd62

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 03:54 pm
@secondchance,
the same could be said for hitler, stalin, jim jones, david koresh
secondchance

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 03:58 pm
@djjd62,
Oh very true but their words were not written in a book over two thousand years ago. Their words are not in almost every single home in the world. Their words are not in every single hotel you go to. Their words are not correct, His are.
Setanta

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 04:05 pm
Since we have no good reason to assume what is palmed off as "his words" actually are what your boy Jeebus said, if he ever existed at all, your argument begs the question, because it starts from an undemonstrated premise.
Francis

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 04:19 pm
@secondchance,
But then, when you got beaten by your boyfriend, wasn't it the will of God?

Why didn't you turn the other cheek instead of pressing charges against him?
spendius

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 04:25 pm
@Setanta,
Which of His words do you not agree with Set?

What matters, whoever said them, pissed up or not, is that we are all aware of them and have no excuses. You seem to be using a speculation that He never existed as a justification for not agreeing with the words. And you can't in grown up company. As if Jesus not existing renders love thy neighbour stupid advice.

I would guess that a fair number of the historical "facts" you are fond of relating cannot be traced to a demonstrated premise.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 04:44 pm
@Francis,
Jesus Framcis - you're a better person than this comment would make you out to be (or at least I think you are from what I've read.
Forgive me for what you may view as an impertinent intrusion into your business, but since you don't really know this girl or any of the other people who may read this thread - the suggestion you make of an abusive beating by a boyfriend being ANY god's will, and the implication you make that if one believes in a god they might also believe that whatever happens to them is also that god's will and so turn the other cheek to abuse is dangerous.

I know you're being facetious - you are right?! ( I hope so).
But if someone believes in following someone's words without questioning and employing logic in terms of interpretation (as this girl implies) the results of always and continually turning the other cheek- to abuse- could be pretty scary.
aidan

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 04:54 pm
@aidan,
or maybe you just want her to think about that - that's it right?!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 04:58 pm
@aidan,
I really don't know this person but I do think that every single person should question whether someone else's words are good for them.

You are indeed right that I was being facetious ( as I usually am) in pointing out how illogical this person is, between her beliefs and her actions.

Secondchance wrote:
He wants us to follow His word and not to ask questions
aidan

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 05:09 pm
@Francis,
oh good - I was worried there for a second...but I figured it out- and I agree with you - she should definitely question.

I thought this was apropos to the topic - especially at this point in history and in our economic situation- in regards to what Jesus says (his words):

'If, in short, we assume the words of Christ to have meant the very least that they could mean, his words must at the very least mean this - that rich men are not very likely to be morally trustworthy. Christianity even when watered down is hot enough to boil all modern society to rags.' GK Chesterton

Pretty prophetic - 2000 years on. I don't think, even if you're not a believer ,you can throw all of his ideas away out of hand. He is worth a listen sometimes.
secondchance

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 06:21 pm
@Francis,
My beliefs are simple. I believe in God. I believe He is always there with me guiding me through time that are going to be rough. God did not LET this guy beat me up - that is why it is called free will. My actions went with my beliefs. I pressed charges on him so he could not hurt another person the way he did me. Unfortunately me pressing charges did not stop him, that is the work of the devil. I am sorry if you feel I was being illogical. I do not have to answer to you. But I want you to think of this. If you had a daughter that was grown up and dating some guy that was beating the sh*t out of her day in and day out, what would you want her to do. Turn the other cheek maybe.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 07:00 pm
What does Jesus want, go to Siberia and ask him
 http://www.askvova.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/vissar.jpg
“Jesus” of Siberia: a former Siberian traffic cop says he is the Reincarnated “Jesus Christ”

From The Washington Post:

ABODE OF DAWN, Russia " Six miles from the nearest road, in the vast Siberian wilderness, a bearded man in flowing white linen robes sat at his kitchen table and talked about his crucifixion at the hands of Pontius Pilate 2,000 years ago.

In a voice barely louder than the rain falling on the mountaintop home his followers have built for him, Sergei Torop said it was painful to remember the end of his last life, in which he says he walked the Earth as Jesus Christ.

Torop, 46, is a former Siberian traffic cop who is now spiritual leader of at least 5,000 devoted followers. They have abandoned lives as artists, engineers and professionals in other fields to move to this remote corner of Siberia, 2,000 miles from Moscow. In empty woodlands, they are building from scratch an entire new town, where they pass their lives near the man they call Vissarion, “he who gives new life.”

Follow the link for the rest of the story
spendius

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 07:06 pm
@djjd62,
We already know the rest of the story.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 07:15 pm
@djjd62,
he ain't real, he's got socks on...
0 Replies

shewolfnm