You can keep your socks on

Diane

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 03:29 pm
If Dys could open up and tell you what he has been through, the hell he has been through, I know it would be a huge weight off his shoulders.

Is it part of the male chromosome that prevents opening up? You all are his friends and to hell with anyone else. He is very private, but there comes a time when we all should drop the inhibition and just talk. It doesn't diminish us, doesn't weaken us, but makes us stronger. That is my opinion of course and it would be extremely hard for me to do. But emotionally, I know it to be the truth.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 03:42 pm
@Diane,
Well, ... ... ...said.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 05:53 pm
@Diane,
Diane wrote:
On the other hand, I have to admit to calling him a goddam son of a bitch for refusing to go to the hospital, knowing all along that he probably wasn't fully aware of what was happening to him.

That reminds me of a story where our old grandma' called the paramedics
for her even older neighbor who had slipped and fallen in her house. The
crony neighbor didn't want to be carried away in an ambulance and she was
ranting and cussing at grandma' even as she was hauled away in a stretcher.

In the end it was a blessing as she had broken her hip, but once you have a
reputation of being an old cantankerous crone, you just have to uphold it
and that's where I see Bob now - keeping up appearances! Very Happy

We all know what a gentle soul he is, so he can let go now.....

ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 06:13 pm
@CalamityJane,
Dys and Diane know what I think, though you'll have to believe me that I haven't been bossy/interfering.

Still worried.

littlek

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 06:23 pm
If Diane thinks it'd help for Dys to open up, than I'll agree. But, I'm not pushy. I'm just happy he's here posting.
Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 06:27 pm
@dyslexia,
Hey fella................glad to see you at the keyboard again.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 06:29 pm
@ossobuco,
In real life, well, at least for people not living with him, Bob is only a tad cranky. Sharp, mostly, except when he's asleep, and he needs a lot of sleep. I remember that Friday very well, as he was both hugely teasing on a2k, posting on an exceptional number of threads for him, and teasing/taunting on the phone with me - think it was he that called - until we got into regular ordinary talk.

He is frail. The doctor thing is big.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 08:24 pm
Wandel, it is quite obvious that you daughter was far more intelligent than you.

What you said was spot on, though. There was the perspective of Dys and there I was, scared to death and aware of what was happening to him. He doesn't even remember those couple of days.
chai2

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 10:09 pm
@Diane,
diane, I know I've said this before, but I so empathize w/ you.

Not to the extent of not remembering of days, but a period of time.

And the stubborness...but, ya gotta love'em.
Diane

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 12:25 am
@ossobuco,
Osso said:

Quote:
Dys and Diane know what I think, though you'll have to believe me that I haven't been bossy/interfering

Osso, love, you have been wonderful and you know that both Dys and I feel free to tell you when you have been too bossy or too interfering. That, to me, is a major sign of a great friendship.

And no, you haven't been too bossy or too interfering.

{{{{{{{{{{ Osso }}}}}}}}}}
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 12:27 am
@chai2,
Chai 2, in a few words you said all there needs to be said. ;>)
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 12:53 am
@CalamityJane,
CJ, as usual, you get it. Glad you see right through that cantankerous front of his.
msolga

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 01:45 am
@littlek,
Quote:
If Diane thinks it'd help for Dys to open up, than I'll agree. But, I'm not pushy. I'm just happy he's here posting.

Yes, me too. Whatever dys wants to say on an open forum is his choice, really. He might consider some things too private to share with all & sundry on the internet & I can fully appreciate that. I really wouldn't know. But I say this with absolutely no disrepect to you at all, Diane. It's just wonderful to see him posting again.
Eva

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 08:44 am
@Diane,
Diane wrote:

CJ, as usual, you get it. Glad you see right through that cantankerous front of his.

What? Cantankerous?! He's a pussycat!

That oughta get a rise outta him.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 09:30 am
Don't be fooled that Dys doesn't vent, but it's usually not about himself. Oh the stories I could tell you, but that would give him another stroke. Wink

BBB
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 11:12 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Dys and Diane know what I think, though you'll have to believe me that I haven't been bossy/interfering.Still worried.

Oh osso, I didn't think of you at all when conveying the story. It was just funny how the neighbor was still cussing while being hauled away into the ambulance.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 12:06 pm
Dys had another small stroke last night. It has taken a toll, but he seems better this morning. We discussed whether he should go to the hospital, but he has had lots of experience with the medical system. He told me about soldiers in Vietnam, doctors in hospitals saying one things and doing another, and he talked about feeling worse once he got home from the hospital than when he went in.

By the way, I haven't mentioned most of the details of his first stroke or this one, on this thread. I just wanted his friends to know that he was seriously ill and that it would affect his ability to post as freely as he usually does.

I haven't taken offense at the honest concerns of anyone who cares about his privacy, I care too, but I also want him to be understood and I want his very good friends to know how he is doing.
littlek

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 12:08 pm
@Diane,
Oh Diane...... Why oh why don't doctors make housecalls anymore!?!? Always thinking of both of you.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 12:22 pm
I remain concerned, but hopeful. As for dys' concern about docs and hospitals, I share his pessimism. But, there are times when a medical team is the only recourse. I hope dys chooses wisely.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 12:24 pm
@Diane,
Oh Diane I am so sorry to hear of another stroke. I also can understand that
Dys doesn't want to go into the hospital, but I think he would be better off
there anyway. I don't want to scare you, however Cedars-Sinai has this to say

Quote:
One or more mini-strokes, called transient ischemic attacks (TIAs), may occur before a person has a full-blown stroke. Symptoms for both are similar. However, unlike stroke symptoms, TIA symptoms disappear within minutes (usually 10 to 20) up to 24 hours. A TIA is a warning signal that a stroke may soon occur, and the condition needs to be treated as an emergency.

I am thinking of you, and hope there is relief coming soon!
0 Replies