Avoiding the Politics threads - You, too?

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 08:00 pm
Agree with Dlowan and am dumbfoundingly happy about Walter's graphic portrayal of, well, graphic portrayal.

Thought well of msolga's orig question, still do, and like hearing from the Frayers. uh, Players. uh, Sprayers.

Better quit before I get to religion.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 08:37 pm
Something that strikes me is that while the play gets pretty rough-and-tumble in Politics, or in Religion, there's a core group of always-there folks who pretty much get along. Some get a little rowdy once in a while, and as often as not, the participants on the thread will straighten out the matter all by themselves. Not always ... sometimes a thread there just blows up, but that isn't real frequent. An awful lot of the complaints received don't come from the "Usual Suspects", but from folks who normally hang out in other forums. Sometimes its just a thin-skin problem, and other times things get nasty just because folks who ought to know better suffer brainfade and release their keyboards before engaging their brains. The best way to avoid a flame fight is to not get into it ... playing in the sparks untill you get burned and come cryin' for backup just isn't the way to handle things. If you figure someone's bein' a jerk, report it or ignore it, but don't become part of it.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 09:02 pm
Is there a place for "thin-skinned" people to discuss political issues on A2K? Should we form a Thin-Skinned usergroup? Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 09:07 pm
Timber's post made a lot of sense just now and so did butryfly's....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 09:17 pm
Still, on fat skinned people, I do seem to notice a certain tolerance, even engagement in upyoursyou__ism. Is that tolerance ok? Is there a zero limit or under ten ok?

I think I see the politics forum gelling around a certain community standard, which is a little looser that the general one. Should there be two standards? (I say no.)

Frankly, I think the answer is fairly easy, it isn't one flag and you're out the door, but general behavior is important and if you don't work hard at adjusting to 'tos' guidelines, get familiar with the shoe. There is a tone set and expected to be complied with, with forgiveness for the rare, very rare, occasion when one loses it. As the rare becomes routine, I would guess there is no room.

Well, this is what I see, as a reader. I guess I should shut up, but this all interests me a lot.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 09:36 pm
I agree with osso. We don't need two standards, but how to deal with the quite properly expressed insults and slurs that don't technically violate anything, and sometimes bait the less sophisticated into a violation.

Butrflynet, if there isn't a place for the thin-skinned with a genuine interest in politics, there darn well should be. Smile
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 10:06 pm
If and when "The Rare" becomes "Routine", the more egregious miscreants are taken out back and roughed up a little. If they don't get over it on their own, and get right back to it when they're let back into the building, they get shot. Funny .... when they're all of a sudden gone, nobody seems to notice, or even to remember them.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 10:07 pm
I found that I could tolerate the regular political forums - in moderation, and until I became engaged. Then I can loose it also.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 10:42 pm
I think "Timber" is absolutely correct. In order that these discussion be kept on a high plane, the Guidelines should be continually read and re-read.

I don' think there should be any personal commentary such as distorting a person's name.

I think all of the dialogue should be connnected with the substance of the ideas presented. There is no personal animus with "I am afraid that your analysis of situation X is egregiously mistaken because......"
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 11:14 pm
The guidelines are nothing more simple common sense and adult good manners. ... and are listed out and published just so folks who have trouble with either have a ready reference.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 11:19 pm
I refuse to read the guidelines continually.

Flame me if you must...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 11:47 pm
Wooosh!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 11:49 pm
Be careful, a friend of mine burnt the seat of his pants lighting one of those.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 11:54 pm
<sigh> Okay, no more flaming for the rest of the week.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 12:02 am
I know the puppies here get a kick out of it when I do it ... and what with Chili season comin' up, there's gonna be plenty of opportunity to wow 'em again. There's a technique to it, ya know ... timing is important, and a disposable butane lighter works better than a Zippo for some reason. I've studied on this some.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 02:46 am
Jeans - wear jeans - nothing synthetic...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 04:31 am
Oh, would that we could maintain only the highest standards of civilized discourse such as is here displayed . . .
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 04:50 am
Roasted bums...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 04:56 am
I believe that would qualify as hot cross buns . . .
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 05:13 am
But why would the buns be cross if they are being classified as "hot" ???
0 Replies