Avoiding the Politics threads - You, too?

cavfancier

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 06:27 am
Getting back to goat....my preference is for a proper Trinidad stew goat with dal puri roti...
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 06:39 am
Try this ....

Palak Gosht

Ingredients

1/4 kg mutton (goat meat is called mutton in India)
5 or 6 bunches Spinach chopped fine
1-2 tsp ginger garlic paste
2 medium tomatoes
1 tsp coriander Powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
2 onions chopped fine
1 tsp ginger grated
few black pepper corns
3-4 tablespoons cooking oil
salt to taste
1 tbsp. coriander chopped fine

Method

Add 2-3 tsps of oil in a pressure pan and heat.
Add the grated ginger, black pepper corns a small part of chopped onions to the oil fry the onions for a few seconds.
Wash meat cleanly and add to the pan. Stir for a minute.
Add a little salt and enough water.
Close the pressure pan and allow the meat to cook till soft.
Once meat is cooked, strain out the water and keep aside as stock.
In another Pan, Heat the remaining oil.
Add the remaining chopped onions and fry till light brown.
Add salt, corainder powder, chilli powder, ginger garlic paste, and chopped coriander.
Fry this mix thoroughly till oil leaves the sides of the pan.
Add tomatoes and spinach and a little of the meat-stock that you had kept aside.
Cook till tomatoes and Spinach is done and the water is dried up. If necessary, add more of the stock to get a gravy.
Add the cooked meat to this mixture and stir fry till oil leaves the sides of the pan.
Simmer for a while and garnish with chopped coriander.
Serve hot with Plain rice.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 06:41 am
Mmmm, I'm taking notes....I've done this with lamb, but goat would indeed be tasty.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 06:47 am
Try this as well. I normally replace mutton by paneer (I am a veggie) but my friends love it !! U cant also try it with pork or chiken....

Ingredients

3/4 kg Mutton
2 Onions
6 Green Chillies
Curry Leaves
1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
1 Tomato - (chopped or puree)

1 1/2 tsp Garam Masala - (cloves, elaichi, cinnamon, whole pepper - ground)
1 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
Method

Marinate mutton with 1/2 tsp chilli powder & sufficient salt for 1-2 hrs.
Fry chopped onions, chillies, curry leaves, ginger garlic paste. After a few minutes, add garam masala.
When onions are cooked, add corriander powder, chilli powder and a pinch of turmeric.
Mix well. Add tomato and fry for 2 minutes.
Put mutton with the spices in the cooker and add some water.
Keep for 10 minutes (at least) after whistle.
To make gravy, add coconut milk and let the meat simmer in it for a few minutes.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 06:50 am
Would dried curry leaves work? Tough to get fresh in these parts.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 06:53 am
Yeah they wud - I normally get a bunch when I go to the Indian areas and freeze them. Just before cooking, I take them out and put them in hot water for a while before I add them to my concoction !
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 06:59 am
I do the same with fresh Kaffir lime leaves, for my Thai cooking.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 07:00 am
Nimh wrote:

Eh ... but calling someone a troll would be trolling itself, then, no?

Both in meaning 1 (those in the know of what a "troll" is get to be in on the joke) and in meaning 2 (if the person called "troll" knows what a troll is, you can be sure calling him a troll will provoke more counter-insults, and prolong the flame-war).

Nice post------you and I are thinking more and more alike :wink:
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 07:01 am
Great minds think alike Wink And good chefs rarely differ Laughing
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 07:02 am
Setanta wrote:
It is, of course, a well-known fact that trolls are immune to the cold (-shoulder), but susceptible to fire and acid. Constant hacking or slashing attacks are of little value, since the troll is self-regenerating. The two most effective tactics are a fire/acid attack, or inducing starvation . . .

Fire and acid merely seems to strengthen them - or more precisely, push them ever further into troll-like behaviour.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 07:22 am
Setanta wrote:

It is, of course, a well-known fact that trolls are immune to the cold (-shoulder), but susceptible to fire and acid. Constant hacking or slashing attacks are of little value, since the troll is self-regenerating. The two most effective tactics are a fire/acid attack, or inducing starvation . . .

As one who has experienced "Setanta acid" from all angles--I make a plea-----please reserve the acid for the real trolls and not those whom you merely suspect. Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 07:23 am
I was indulging in a little self-indulgence there, and referring to the characteristics of trolls as they appear in role-playing games . . . entertaining myself with a little esoteric irony . . .

A clear-cut case of self-amuse . . .
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 07:28 am
I got it...but I used to play D & D.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 07:28 am
Nimh wrote:

Fire and acid merely seems to strengthen them - or more precisely, push them ever further into troll-like behaviour.

Again --- we think alike----are you also about 6', extremely handsome, and you're obviously extremely intelligent. Very Happy
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 08:58 am
the dilemma as seen by ellen goodman... http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2003/09/18/the_great_american_rant/
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 09:29 am
cavfancier wrote:
I got it...but I used to play D & D.

Ah ... no .. I didnt get it. Embarrassed
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 09:32 am
Blatham:

Ellen Goodman made several good points but the most appropriate of which is her concluding paragraph:

Pretty soon you end up with a political debate that has the tone of flaming e-mail. It consists of people hovering around two poles and screaming: "Liar, liar, pants on fire."
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 12:40 pm
Ah, the politics of Indian Cuisine.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 02:23 pm
An Indian gentleman for whom i once "moonlighted" told me that there are as many different curries in India as there are kitchens . . . sounds like Italian politics . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 05:47 pm
speaking of italian kitchens ... er no it was indian kitchens ... no no no, this is about politics! ... never mind.

The divine recipe exchange above just reminded me that I have a lovely spinach pizza waiting for me.
0 Replies