Republicans looking for an October surprise?

JPB

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 08:19 am
Quote:
Several GOP strategists close to McCain's campaign privately fret that his chances for victory are starting to slip away.

These Republicans, speaking on condition of anonymity to avoid angering the campaign, point to several factors: Obama's gains nationally and in traditionally GOP states, no McCain boost from the first debate, McCain's struggles with economic issues as the financial crisis has unfolded and deepening public skepticism about his running mate, Sarah Palin.

They said McCain's options for shaking up the race are essentially limited to game-changing performances in the final presidential debates or in Palin's vice presidential debate Thursday night with Joe Biden. Short of that, they said, McCain can do little but hope Obama stumbles or an outside event breaks the GOP nominee's way.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081002/ap_on_el_pr/ap_poll_presidential_race

McCain can do little but hope Obama stumbles or An Outside Event Breaks The Nominee's Way???? Did I see that right?

Let's see.... what outside event do we think they're hoping for?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 17 • Views: 4,155 • Replies: 77

McGentrix

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 08:52 am
@JPB,
I believe Palin is going to shoot and field dress Biden tonight after the debate. Won't that be a surprise?
nimh

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 08:54 am
@McGentrix,
It would certainly make for good television..
engineer

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:01 am
@nimh,
And it gives McCain cover for picking a new VP.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:18 am
Asked why Obama has been rising as the Wall Street crisis has dominated attention, McCain said on Fox News Channel: "Because life isn’t fair.”
Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 10:20 am
@dyslexia,
dys- I have said this before, but your remark about McCain brought it to mind. I knew that I grew up when I realized the following three things:

There is no justice in the world.
Mother Nature is capricious.
Life is NOT fair.

Problem is, that many people bitch and gripe when things don't go their way. People love the "pie in the sky", "chicken in every pot" sort of philosophy. Many become distressed when confronted with reality.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 10:27 am
@Phoenix32890,
The only reason more people started to think this election is important because they see this financial crisis now hitting home. They have always thought that our politics didn't make any difference to their jobs, consumption, or their 401k's and IRAs, but many saw the real effects from politics. They are scared, and rightly so. Many have lost half the value in their homes and retirement savings, and have now realized something has gone wrong.

I'm not sure many are drinking (Starbucks) coffee in the morning any more, but our local ones seems busy.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 11:25 am
@JPB,
Possible "Outside Events" for which one might hope.

Scarlet Johanson announces she's pregnant with Barrack's love child.

Cameras catch Michelle Obama, during an "off-camera" moment, playfully responding to Katie Couric's question about what it will mean to her if her husband loses the election, with a twinkle in her eye and the comment "Burn Baby Burn!"

God finally has enough with Obama trying to horn in on his market and smites him.

0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 11:38 am
@Phoenix32890,
phoenix, i have come to the serious conclusion that John McCain believes that "fairness" means that this nation owes him the oval office solely because he suffered as a POW.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 12:01 pm
@dyslexia,
He was a POW?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 12:38 pm
I think the only October surprise we can hope for in this election is that somebody will finally stand up and be heard on the issue of how much of the elaborate campaign promises are likely to be deliverable and/or delivered. And then the people will decide which candidate has the best track record on delivering what he has promised to do.

I'm not optimistic. But it would be a nice surprise for the election to be decided on that basis.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 12:42 pm
@Foxfyre,
Fox, If you can't determine that from what Obama and McCain has been saying, you're looking at the wrong "period."

Can you spell out for us what McCain's policies are on the major issues of our day? Please tell us what he has said, what actions he took about what he said, and what he said after those "actions" failed?
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 01:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That is being discussed in minute detail on several other threads, CI. I suggest you look there for your answers. The focus on this thread is the potential for an October surprise.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 01:22 pm
@Foxfyre,
I've probably been watching more political tv channels than most here, but the primary perceptions that I've gotten out of them seem pretty accurate. Many have confirmed my perceptions so far, and no real challenge except ad homonyms and non-responses.
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 01:47 pm
I think 'Operation Fortunate Son' during the last election was a pretty good one; where the CBS News staffer was working hand-in-hand with the Dem National Committee re those Bush Nat'l Guard documents.

Didn't quite work out for them, though.

This time? Hard to say, but nothing either party does would surprise me. Both are morally bankrupt, imo...
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 02:11 pm
@A Lone Voice,
The difference, however, is that most conservatives recognize and acknowledge when their party of choice or elected leaders screw up. It is a rare liberal who can or will do that re theirs.

It probably makes it easier to win with blinders on though. At least it makes it easier to stomach it all.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 02:17 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

The difference, however, is that most conservatives recognize and acknowledge when their party of choice or elected leaders screw up. It is a rare liberal who can or will do that re theirs.

It probably makes it easier to win with blinders on though. At least it makes it easier to stomach it all.

Laughing

One of your funniest comments ever.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 02:24 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
We've already had the "October Surprise." McCain has condemned pork since his run for the white house, then he just voted for the Senate version of the bailout that includes more pork than the House version.

Yup, he's against pork.

Any more contradictions from the "straight talk express?"

Just another repeat question for the conservatives on these threads; where does McCain stand on the important issues of our day?

PLEASE, PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE, can you provide us with some answers here?
rabel22

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 06:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Are we allowed to lie about the answers?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 06:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
If you really wanted the answer to that question, you could have done about 1 minutes search on A2K and found out.
But, since you dont want the answer, you couldnt have bothered.

For those of you that are actually interested in the answer, try this...

http://able2know.org/topic/122765-1
0 Replies