Let pupils abandon spelling rules, says academic

Setanta

Sat 3 Jan, 2009 08:26 pm
@Robert Gentel,
You're still going to have problems with words such as you're, your and your; and there, they're and their. Furthermore, the English language does not belong solely to native speakers of English, and has not for quite some time. Therefore, students would still be obliged to learn a particular spelling, and they would be required to pay more attention to context. Given the content of posts which i have seen at this and other sites, both by the young and by older people, i have my doubts that people are very competently literate these days, which throws into doubt whether or not they would be able to distinguish words by context when if they were identically spelled.

The only person i've ever heard of who succeeded in reforming English orthography was Noah Webster, and his changes were modest. Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. attempted to use his considerable influence when President to change to a "simpler" spelling, and failed miserably. To me, it is absurd to complain about children being obliged to memorize. What can be more fantastical than to complain that children who are learning are obliged to exercise their memories? Should we abandon simple mathematics because children might otherwise be obliged to memorize the multiplication tables?

A silly idea altogether.
Setanta

Sat 3 Jan, 2009 08:30 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
This is a false dilemma for phonetic spelling because the great variance is itself partly due to the lack of a phonetic standard . . .

This is completely absurd. Do you really mean to suggest that regional variants in accents and pronunciation result from a lack of phonetic standards? I do believe that is the most ridiculous claim i've ever read from you.
Robert Gentel

Sat 3 Jan, 2009 08:49 pm
@Setanta,
I said it was party due to the lack of the phonetic standard, I did not say that this is the only reason.

Do you dispute that the lack of a phonetic standard has played a role in the variance of regional English pronunciation or are you just having a hard time parsing "partly"?
Setanta

Sat 3 Jan, 2009 09:30 pm
@Robert Gentel,
No, i'm saying that there is no good reason to assume that phonetic standards play any part at all in regional accents and pronunciations. The English colonized the North American continent from 1607. They took over the territory which became Canada beginning in 1760. The First Fleet landed in Australia in 1788. The English took over the Cape colony of South Africa in 1795. From the early 17th century to the late 18th century, the English settled those areas in which it is reasonable to say that English is the mother tongue of the majority of the population. In that period, there was no standardized spelling or pronunciation, and yet our use of the language is not such that it makes us mutually incomprehensible. Regional accents and pronunciation are a product of the people who have settled certain regions, and the often of the relative isolation in which they developed their regional patois. I simply do not believe that a lack of a phonetic standard plays any part at all in such a process, nor that having had a phonetic standard--especially in times when so much of the population was not literate--would have assured that we all spoke the same. On that basis, your sarcasm is a complete failure.
Robert Gentel

Sat 3 Jan, 2009 10:00 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
No, i'm saying that there is no good reason to assume that phonetic standards play any part at all in regional accents and pronunciations.

Well you state so from a position of ignorance then, as the influence of phonetic standards in pronunciation has long been studied and established to varying degrees.

Quote:
The English colonized the North American continent from 1607. They took over the territory which became Canada beginning in 1760. The First Fleet landed in Australia in 1788. The English took over the Cape colony of South Africa in 1795.

Somehow I knew you'd find a way to drop historical dates despite their irrelevance to your claim.

Quote:
I simply do not believe that a lack of a phonetic standard plays any part at all in such a process

You can believe what you will but that doesn't make you right.

Williams, Frederick wrote:
The major conclusion is that all phonetic variations from standard American English can be attributed to one of the following sources of variation: (1) reduction in the complexity of segments, which usually decreases with age; (2) differing phonological rules between standard English and a dialect of English; and (3) phonetic interference between a foreign primary language and English.

From the abstract of: An Analysis of the Variations from Standard English Pronunciation in the Phonetic Performance of Two Groups of Nonstandard-English-Speaking Children. Final Report.

That's just one example I could easily find, but as I've said the influence of phonetic standards has been studied and while there can be disagreement as to the degree of influence it has, your contention that it can have no part in the process is silly.

Quote:
nor that having had a phonetic standard--especially in times when so much of the population was not literate--would have assured that we all spoke the same.

I never said we'd speak the same, and I never restricted the claim to the particular era you chose to drop dates and names about. This has nothing to do with your claim that phonetic standards can play no part in the formulation of phonetic variance.

Quote:
On that basis, your sarcasm is a complete failure.

What basis would that be? Your ipse dixit? Or do you think the date dropping did it?
JTT

Sat 3 Jan, 2009 10:35 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Given the content of posts which i have seen at this and other sites, both by the young and by older people, i have my doubts that people are very competently literate these days, which throws into doubt whether or not they would be able to distinguish words by context when if they were identically spelled.

You've got this backwards, Set. How the words are spelled makes no difference to grammar. We know that from listening to people speak.

Setanta

Sat 3 Jan, 2009 10:40 pm
@Robert Gentel,
You're just full of sarcasm tonight, aren't you. A phonetic standard, vis-a-vis orthography, is not at all the same as "differing phonological rules." Quite apart from that, i don't find passage convincing as a basis for your argument, because it doesn't state or imply that a lack of phonetic standard is a cause of there being dialects of English form which said differences of phonological rules derive.

What you sneer at as date dropping was offered to show that there can be a wide variance of phonetic usage over time, without making the dialects of a language mutually incomprehensible. Here, let me do it again, since it seems to irritate you. The French Academy was established in 1635. The French did not lose their North American colony to the English until 1760. The primary aim of the Academy from its inception was the standardization of the French langauge, grammar, syntax, pronunciation, orthography--and yet the French spoken in Canada differs so much that the patois of les habitants is frequently referred to as joual, which is the Québecois version of the word cheval, meaning horse. It doesn't appear that phonetic standardization did much to assure that there would not be a diversion, and a radical diversion at that, in the language--which nevertheless remains mutually comprehensible as between Canadians and the French.

Frankly, i don't think the source you provided supports your claim, nor is an argument from authority conclusive in the matter of English pronunciation and orthography, which has had centuries to develop and diverge in disparate locations right across the globe, much of time in an absence of frequent intercommunication. As the French example shows, having such a phonetic standard will not assure that there is no divergence, so in particular, as regards the topic of this thread, i consider an argument on your part about a phonetic standard as being meaningless in assuring that there would ever be a simplified English orthography which would allow people to immediately recognize a word from the spelling to be a bootless argument.

Your expert writes of differing phonological rules as arising in part from dialect--so what explains the existence of dialect? Do you seriously believe that it would ever be possible to enforce phonetic rectitude? Do you not see the equal importance of what your expert source points to--" . . . phonetic interference between a foreign primary language and English?" As i have pointed out, the English language is "owned" by a lot more people than the native speakers of the language. You can chuck the old system of spelling, but anything with which you replace will be equally as arbitrary, and will very likely require just as much effort to assimilate for the non-native speaker, and very likely would induce a good deal of confusion in native-speaking children trying to figure out from context whether "yor" was the equivalent of what was once either your, you're or yore.

You sneers are entertaining, though.
Setanta

Sat 3 Jan, 2009 10:43 pm
@JTT,
I've not said that spelling makes any difference to grammar. I'm pointing out that for people whose language skills are poor to begin with, determining which word an allegedly phonetic spelling refers to from the context in which it is encountered might be, and i personally assert very likely would be, difficult at best.
gungasnake

Sat 3 Jan, 2009 10:45 pm
@Robert Gentel,
If English is going to be the international language of commerce we damned well need a phonetic alphabet for it; at present we don't have one.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 3 Jan, 2009 10:46 pm
Well, Rockhead, for some reason, every time i clicked on "Reply" for your post, i got a message of "Error, topic not found." So this is in response to your post. My original post, to which RG took exception, did not include any sneers, nor any sarcastic reflection on his posting style. I simply wrote that i found his statement to be the " . . . most ridiculous claim i've ever read from you. "

RG chose to introduce the sarcastic tone.
Rockhead

Sat 3 Jan, 2009 10:53 pm
@Setanta,
I was simply sneering along with...

Wink

(one must be verra swift)
0 Replies

Intrepid

Sat 3 Jan, 2009 11:24 pm
Let’s suppose the majority of people were in favour of a change to phonetic spelling. What authority exists to bring it about? A change of spelling would not just happen. Some authority would have to say that from a certain date such and such a spelling would be acceptable would be required and who would give this order and would their authority in the matter be accepted? A lot of money, time and labour would be required but the vast majority of the people would probably not be affected with the status quo.

The job of persuading enough people to accept the change to phonetics would be so huge that change would probably never happen. Or, is Robert advocating that people can spell however they want to rather than have a structured change in spelling practices.

Spelling changes would probably not be welcomed by printers. Any change whatsoever would slow down their work and cause confusion until such time as typesetters, or whatever method is used these days, had become entirely familiar with the new system.

Even more problems would arise if the new system that was adopted had new letters in it. This would mean adaptations to existing printing machinery. It could even mean their complete replacement. What this would mean to the printers in time and expense can hardly be estimated but it would obviously be considerable. Even worse, however, all typewriters and keyboards would become obsolete. Unless, of course, only existing letters are used.

The change to a new orthography has already raised the question of what will happen to all the books that already exist. Some reprinting will be inevitable, if only of works that are arranged alphabetically. Whatever system of phonetic spelling is used would make it reasonable to assume that words such as know, knight, knot would no longer begin with k and that similarly photograph, physics and phonetics would not begin with ph but with f.

The labour of resetting all volumes of the Oxford English Dictionary or all volumes of the Encyclopedia Britannica, to take but two examples, would be immense but would have to be done. Throughout the world's libraries there are millions of books printed in the current English spelling. They represent a huge capital expenditure. At some point, in the future, these books might even be unreadable by the masses.
Robert Gentel

Sat 3 Jan, 2009 11:55 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
You're just full of sarcasm tonight, aren't you.

It goes with your caustic disposition well. Nearly every post of yours I've read recently was ill-tempered and quarrelsome and you shouldn't expect kid gloves in return.

Quote:
A phonetic standard, vis-a-vis orthography, is not at all the same as "differing phonological rules."

Phonology is based on phonetics Setanta.

Quote:
Quite apart from that, i don't find passage convincing as a basis for your argument, because it doesn't state or imply that a lack of phonetic standard is a cause of there being dialects of English form which said differences of phonological rules derive.

Given the strength of your conviction about how it could possibly play no part I didn't expect you to. But if all you have is bombast to back up your claim it remains unconvincing.

Quote:
What you sneer at as date dropping was offered to show that there can be a wide variance of phonetic usage over time, without making the dialects of a language mutually incomprehensible.

That's nice, but it has nothing to do with what your claim was.

Quote:
Here, let me do it again, since it seems to irritate you.

It doesn't irritate me, if you like to spend your time transcribing historical dates and facts no matter how little relation to the topic it has that's your prerogative. I've come to expect no less.

Quote:
The French Academy was established in 1635. The French did not lose their North American colony to the English until 1760. The primary aim of the Academy from its inception was the standardization of the French langauge, grammar, syntax, pronunciation, orthography--and yet the French spoken in Canada differs so much that the patois of les habitants is frequently referred to as joual, which is the Québecois version of the word cheval, meaning horse. It doesn't appear that phonetic standardization did much to assure that there would not be a diversion, and a radical diversion at that, in the language--which nevertheless remains mutually comprehensible as between Canadians and the French.

Does any of that support your notion that phonetic standards play no part at all or is it the irrelevant historical regurgitation that I said it was?

Quote:
Frankly, i don't think the source you provided supports your claim

That's fine with me, I can live with failing to convince you and if all you can offer for your claim is your closely held belief I hope you are capable of the same.

Quote:
As the French example shows, having such a phonetic standard will not assure that there is no divergence

You are moving the goal posts again. Your claim was that it has no effect, not that it doesn't guarantee no divergence.

Quote:
Your expert writes of differing phonological rules as arising in part from dialect--so what explains the existence of dialect?

This is tangential Setanta. The study claimed that the regional standards had an impact while you so bombastically claimed it could not.

Quote:
Do you seriously believe that it would ever be possible to enforce phonetic rectitude?

What does that have to do with your claim that the phonetic standards play no part?

Quote:
Do you not see the equal importance of what your expert source points to--" . . . phonetic interference between a foreign primary language and English?"

Again, how does this have anything to do with your claim? If this is all you have to support your contention I'll just have to agree to disagree with you, as you haven't provided anything other than the strength of your misplaced conviction to support it.
JTT

Sat 3 Jan, 2009 11:58 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I've not said that spelling makes any difference to grammar. I'm pointing out that for people whose language skills are poor to begin with, determining which word an allegedly phonetic spelling refers to from the context in which it is encountered might be, and i personally assert very likely would be, difficult at best.

I think you have, unwittingly, said as much. Not just once; you've repeated it again, in a new post.

Quote:
... and very likely would induce a good deal of confusion in native-speaking children trying to figure out from context whether "yor" was the equivalent of what was once either your, you're or yore.

From context, native speakers intuitively know what part of speech is to be chosen. That is why the spelling matters not at all to the uninitiated, ie. children. What they learn in writing/spelling are words that they already know, in grammar and pronunciation.
JTT

Sun 4 Jan, 2009 12:03 am
@Intrepid,
All good points, Intrepid. A much much much harder switch than that to metric and that hasn't gone all that well. The USA, fuggedaboudit.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Sun 4 Jan, 2009 12:07 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:
Let’s suppose the majority of people were in favour of a change to phonetic spelling. What authority exists to bring it about?

This topic touched on this earlier. In English there is no such authority. But the precedent exists. For one such example see the Norwegian Spelling Reforms of 1917.

Quote:
A change of spelling would not just happen.

Naturally. And I'd go further to add that virtually nothing can guarantee the adoption of any change in language.

Quote:
Some authority would have to say that from a certain date such and such a spelling would be acceptable would be required and who would give this order and would their authority in the matter be accepted?

This is a legitimate dilemma in English and something that was discussed extensively earlier in the thread.

In short, there are languages that do have central authorities. For example, Spanish has the Real Academia Española as the authority regulating the Spanish language.

How that authority gains legitimacy is, indeed, a good question but it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

Quote:
Or, is Robert advocating that people can spell however they want to rather than have a structured change in spelling practices.

No, I'm not advocating the abandoning of rules, and nor was the academic in the article that prompted this discussion, despite the way it was couched in media coverage.

Quote:
The change to a new orthography has already raised the question of what will happen to all the books that already exist. Some reprinting will be inevitable, if only of works that are arranged alphabetically. Whatever system of phonetic spelling is used would make it reasonable to assume that words such as know, knight, knot would no longer begin with k and that similarly photograph, physics and phonetics would not begin with ph but with f.

Why? Do you already propose reprinting Shakespeare to remove any orthographical inconsistency with modern spelling?

Quote:
The labour of resetting all volumes of the Oxford English Dictionary or all volumes of the Encyclopedia Britannica, to take but two examples, would be immense but would have to be done.

They'll still find other reasons to do it anyway, but yes printing has a material cost. We've gone through this already and one argument that can offset it is that almost any proposed spelling reform would reduce letters per word on average and bring printing costs down all around.

Either way, I personally don't find the economic arguments very relevant to the ideological argument, just to the practical argument and for a variety of reasons spelling reform is very unlikely and very unpractical.

Quote:
Throughout the world's libraries there are millions of books printed in the current English spelling. They represent a huge capital expenditure. At some point, in the future, these books might even be unreadable by the masses.

That's a possibility regardless of what side you are on in the spelling reform proposals.
Intrepid

Sun 4 Jan, 2009 12:58 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Why? Do you already propose reprinting Shakespeare to remove any orthographical inconsistency with modern spelling?

Point taken. However, this is but one example. I am referring more to those millions of books already in modern spelling.
Robert Gentel

Sun 4 Jan, 2009 01:22 am
@Intrepid,
Don't get me wrong, I agree there is a material cost to the language, but depending on the nature of the change to the language I don't think wholesale reprinting is necessary. To me, this argument is more compelling as it relates to the needed momentum to change a language (in that the body of existing work is dead weight against change), not for reprinting costs. I personally prefer to read any writing exactly as it was written as long as I am able to do so and if the spelling reform is incremental and slight I don't think I'd have a problem doing so.
Intrepid

Sun 4 Jan, 2009 01:39 am
@Robert Gentel,
I still convert metric to imperial Wink
joefromchicago

Sun 4 Jan, 2009 08:20 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
The primary aim of the Academy from its inception was the standardization of the French langauge, grammar, syntax, pronunciation, orthography--and yet the French spoken in Canada differs so much that the patois of les habitants is frequently referred to as joual, which is the Québecois version of the word cheval, meaning horse. It doesn't appear that phonetic standardization did much to assure that there would not be a diversion, and a radical diversion at that, in the language--which nevertheless remains mutually comprehensible as between Canadians and the French.

To be precise, the written language remains mutually comprehensible, just as a Brazilian and a Portuguese might not understand each other's speech but would have no problem exchanging written correspondence. Likewise, I can't imagine that a native of Vienna and a native of Berlin, both native German speakers, would have an easy time understanding each other in a conversation. And that's so even though both Portuguese and German are much more phonetic in spelling than English.

As a personal anecdote, I had to watch Trainspotting with the English captions turned on -- I gave up trying to understand what the actors were saying, even though they were ostensibly speaking English.