Let pupils abandon spelling rules, says academic

JTT

Sun 14 Sep, 2008 02:26 pm
@Robert Gentel,

JTT wrote:
Quote:
jtt wrote:
But when these style manuals go beyond the artificial rules they've created for writing, they fall apart, linguistically speaking. That they can have so many different "in house" rules illustrates their artificiality.

I think this shows just why these measures don't work for language as a whole, for real language, the language of speech. And you are right, they are not anymore successful at "herding the cats".

Quote:
Robert replied"
I didn't say they weren't more successful, I was noting that you thought so. But the meta discussion aside they have had more success than their non-authoritative English counterparts. The example I provide is how they prevented the forking of Spanish spelling.

Robert, I'll allow that the Spanish, French, Japanese and some other language authorities have had success wrt determining writing norms. My point was/is that because these are artificial aspects of language, there is no conflict with any natural rules of language, so it's understandable that people will try to follow these writing guidelines.

As regards what is real language, speech, I doubt that they have been any more successful than the Prescriptivists of English in establishing rules because rules that are foreign to the natural rules of language can't and won't be followed.

Quote:
jtt wrote:
It isn't a matter of a personal linguistic viewpoint. It's only a matter of whether the actual rules that govern how we use language are accurately described. Many traditional/prescriptive rules were horribly inaccurate.

Quote:
Robert replied:
You are looking at it from an odd viewpoint. If they are successful it is descriptive. For example, the Royal Spanish Academy's success in maintaining a single orthography accurately describes the current state of affairs in the Spanish language but they were not reactively describing the language, they were proactively maintaining it.

Being successful doesn't change the fact that they are prescribing a set of norms for the language. Prescription works for the norms of writing because some sort of artificial guidelines must be established for what is a completely artificial system.

All the rules in all languages that govern the mechanics of writing, as opposed to the structure of language, are artificial, hence prescriptive. The rules that describe the structure of language cannot be prescribed for as soon as someone accurately describes how language works they are being descriptive.

But again, we are discussing at cross purposes here because we can't compare writing to speech.

Quote:
Robert wrote:
Your criticisms can be validated through their history as well, in that they are often criticized for not being able to adapt quickly enough to the evolving language (for example I am aware of zoologists protesting their lethargy in introducing zoological terms to the official dictionary) and you can argue that a reactive description of the language is the ideal but you can't legitimately argue that they haven't had more success in shaping their language than has the English linguistic "authorities" because they have. You can argue whether they should have though, and in the case of maintaining a non-pluricentric orthography I think they've done well for themselves and that it is a good example of language regulation.

Noted and agreed to above.

Quote:
jtt wrote:
'quaffable' has a distinct meaning for me. "Some beers are eminently quaffable". Is there a new meaning beyond that that you hold?

Quote:
Robert replied:
I had a lot of words or meanings I wanted to introduce into formal lexicons, for example my inclusion of "quaffage" in a project I was hired to work on got me in trouble.

In any case that was many years ago and I'm no longer trying to wrangle lexicographical inclusion for those, or any, words. But I note with glee that the word "quaffage" now shows up on the internet a bit (not by my doing). I'd better stop here before I start wasting time on lexicographical pranks again.

I can understand that it got you in trouble for it is not the job of lexicographers to invent vocabulary, [and what follows may sound contradictory] though lexicographers have every right as users of the language to do so and have done so. Do they not have jargon that is specific to their own field?

It sounds like you just took the wrong tact. Valley Girls, surfer dudes and many others have had remarkable success in introducing new words to English. New words are coined daily.

Had you introduced 'quaffage' and 'quaffable' in the bar with your colleagues, I'm sure there would have been much less resistance.

And what did you do but follow the real rules of language; adding 'able' to a verb form to make an adjective, and adding 'age' to a verb form to make a noun. These are common features of English.

Quote:
jtt wrote:
I don't think there is a middle ground when something is wrong; wrong in the sense that it doesn't accurately describe language.

Quote:
Robert replied:
If it works it's accurate. If it doesn't it's not. If I got the word into the OED I would have been right. That I only got it into "Craven de Kere's English Etymology Lexicon" means I was wrong. If I had continued to waste a lot of time on it, I would have become right.

That's false, Robert. Words don't have to get into a dictionary to be words. Many never will, but they stand as words because we use them, understand them and, often, expand them to other parts of speech.

A google for 'quaffable';

Results 1 - 10 of about 106,000 English pages for "quaffable".

includes a Dictionary.com entry

'quaffage' yields,

Results 1 - 10 of about 275 English pages for "quaffage".

with the definition that I envisaged, following the rules of English that I have contained in my internal grammar. Maybe your bosses or colleagues were a bit hasty, or you were in thinking that you had coined a new word.

Quote:
jtt wrote:
There's no need to normalize the evolution of language. All that's needed is for any particular "new language" to be accurately described as to how it fits into the existing language.

Quote:
Robert replied:
And here is where I disagree. I think the evolution of spelling in English is particularly stupid and that it could have evolved very differently if people who actually understood the language were responsible for its spelling.

Instead you had an idiot (linguistically speaking) with a poor command of the language (William Caxton) making up the standard as he went. His claim to fame was that he was the first English printer and while he admitted that his dialect was ‘broad and rude’ and that his own English was being forever corrected he was responsible for the English spelling we have today.

It was criticized then, and legitimately so, because he had no idea what he was doing. Caxton himself reported that educated people complained to him that his printings ‘coude not be vnderstande of comyn peple, and desired me to vse olde and homely termes in my translacyons’.

And this is a perfect case of a linguistic authority being helpful. Caxton just wanted to make money. He had been abroad and came back with a new technology (the printer). He had no competition and decided to serve as linguist, translator and printer in his haste to make his money.

In the process he established most of the spelling we are still stuck with and if someone who actually knew the language had had input it wouldn't have been as bad. He used technicians that did not speak the language and who added letters indiscriminately to achieve line justification in their printing.

It could have gone another way, and had Caxton first tried to make a decent standard, or tried to acquaint himself with the meager linguistic standards of the day English spelling wouldn't be so stupid.

More on this later, but as I mentioned, we have been talking about two separate things, speech versus writing.

Quote:
jtt wrote:
In other words, additions to language aren't bad/wrong because they don't fit the framework that is Formal Written English.

Quote:
Robert replied:
But would you agree that they are wrong if the standard is made by foreigners who don't even speak the language adding letters to words for the purpose of spacing?

I'm harping on this a bit much but that is a huge part of the root of this problem. Adding letters to words that used to be spelled logically was not a natural evolution of language but rather a group of technology entrepreneurs operating without regard to any standards and by virtue of their technological primacy they got modern English spelling off on a particularly retarded foot.

I agree that there are some problems with the spelling system but I don't believe they can be described as "wrong". As I've mentioned, it's an artificial system and spelling could be much different and worse than it is. We could actually spell 'apple' as '#**^@'.

There is an excellent discussion on the English spelling system in "The Language Instinct" by S Pinker. I forget the chapter. It was probably the "Words, Words, Words" chapter. Pinker too, agreed that the spelling system wasn't perfect but he described, accurately to my mind, why it wasn't so bad.

Let me just say this and then I'll leave this aspect to you and Joe to hash over. I think that too much emphasis is placed upon spelling and it makes some otherwise highly intelligent people very defensive.

Doesn't it make much more sense, especially in this day and age of spell checkers for us to develop people's minds, and not get hung up on spelling. There are myriad examples of people who could never read and write who have made remarkable advances, who have made some incredible inventions.

I'm not suggesting that we scrap spelling tests and have a free for all spelling system.

Quote:
jtt wrote
I've read with interest the postings on alphabet versus syllabary language systems and I'm still trying to digest both your and Joe's arguments. Maybe I'll jump in later.

Quote:
Robert replied:
Not to be a pendant (or maybe precisely to be because that's all that one can be in this kind of discussion) but syllabary systems haven't been discussed at all as far as I am aware.

My understanding is that a syllabary is a system wherein each symbol/letter stands for one sound and one sound only as opposed to an alphabet where, well you know this already because you are a native English speaker. I thought that was what Spanish had.

Robert Gentel

Sun 14 Sep, 2008 06:15 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
There's really no reason to respond point-by-point to your arguments, since so many of them are tangential or don't make much sense. But since you insist...

If you found them tangential you shouldn't have brought them up. I was largely responding to the meandering course you took.

Quote:
Ah yes, Robert's rules of logic. Your mighty ipse dixit has shown my claim to be false.

I offered no less proof when correcting you than you did when making the error in the first place. So if mine was an ipse dixit then it shares that quality with your claim but differentiates itself by not being wrong, like yours was.

Quote:
Well, color me unimpressed. But since you seem to think this is an important point (it isn't), I'll indulge you and amend my previous statement: "In truth, most English words are either phonetic or else follow some pretty easy-to-learn rules. In that respect, it is little different from French, which also has a challenging orthography."

Happy?

If you don't think it's important then you shouldn't have brought it up. You equated French orthography to English orthography when even French has a fundamentally superior orthography to English that English could take a cue or two from.

In French orthography there are multiple ways to write a sound, so if you hear a word you may not be able to spell it. But unlike English if you see the word you have a very good chance of being able to say it because French doesn't share English's tendency to have multiple sounds for the same letter combinations. Furthermore, French uses diatrics and because of this the alphabet itself can represent more sounds than can English's. One of the fundamental challenges in an alphabetic orthography is that there are more sounds in use than letters to represent them. The French diatric marks are a fundamental difference in the orthographies giving French more graphemes than English to work with.

You had claimed that there was "little difference" and that French orthography was equally challenging. So yes, I am happy you learned that the orthography is not equal in this regard and if you need to portray it as inordinate pedantry on my part to correct you and claim it's no longer important to the discussion (even though you brought it up) I am happy that you eventually got it right.

Quote:
Quote:
Why do you think linguists consider Spanish to be a good example of an orthography that strays less from the true alphabet ideal than does English?

Probably because it does. But then I never said it didn't. As I pointed out: "Although Spanish spelling is more regular than English, it still has its exceptions." My point wasn't that Spanish spelling wasn't more regular than English, but that Spanish orthography still departs from spoken Spanish, so it is not truly a phonetic alphabet.

Well that's a very pointless point because I am not advocating a perfectly phonetic alphabet and if you hadn't jumped to that conclusion or had listened to me telling you repeatedly that you are off on that tangent you would have saved yourself a lot of time. There are no major languages that are purely phonetic and a rudimentary understanding of linguistics is all that is needed to understand why the proponents of English spelling reform throughout history have largely never advocated such a thing.

Quote:
In that respect, your statement: "The alphabet itself is simple phonetics and once you learn all the sounds mapped to their letters you can write any word you hear." is simply false, since regional differences in pronunciation mean that Spanish is not uniformly phonetic across accent boundaries.*

I agree that calling the Spanish alphabet "simple phonetics" can reasonably be interpreted as false, it's phonetic to a simple degree but is not a perfect phonetic orthography and my statement can be read to imply as much. That being said, if you know the sound mappings you can still write any word you hear. Even if you hear it in another dialect it's very recognizable. In English you can't write some words you've never seen even if you hear it in your own dialect.

Quote:
Cripes, this is getting almost surreal. Of course an alphabet doesn't represent words -- I never said that it did. My point is that it is absurd to advocate alphabet reform but be totally noncommittal to spelling reform. The purpose of an alphabet isn't just to represent sounds -- it's also supposed to be used to form words.

But then you know that -- you've stated, for instance:

I think it got surreal because of your insistence on treating my proposal as a perfect phonetic orthography. I stated repeatedly that I didn't care if there were regional variations of spelling and that your objections were not relevant to what I propose and this is all true. Your objections were predicated on insisting that I was advocating a perfect phonetic orthography and that is just not the case. I was clear that I understand the predictable relationship between an alphabet and words but that I am simply not trying to establish a uniform way to spell across all regional dialects and that I would be happy with mere consistency with phoneme and the letters representing it.

So I'm glad this is out of the way. We both get that the alphabet shares a predicable relationship with words, and hopefully you get that English spelling reform (as I and just about any other reformist advocate) is simply not about a perfect phonetic orthography.

Quote:
See, even you think this is a spelling problem, not an alphabet problem. And with good reason: it is a spelling problem. Nobody is out there (except maybe you, inconsistently) saying that the difficulty with English is that we don't have a simple way of representing the "f" sound, as if that, by itself, were a significant handicap. The only reason why it's a problem is because the spelling of the "f" sound is inconsistent. Alphabet reform is merely a way of addressing the spelling problem: it's not an end in itself.

This is a stupid logomachy. My qualms with the spelling problem largely center around the alphabet's inadequacies. There are other spelling "problems" that I am not referring to and this is why I make the distinction. For example, I don't mind that there are some differences in regional spelling as much as I mind that the alphabet's relationship to the words doesn't make sense in any of the dialects.

That is why I am focusing on the more fundamentally flawed letters to phoneme relationship and not its consequential phoneme to words relationship in this discussion.

Quote:
I brought up the differences in pronunciation because that's an important consideration for someone advocating a phonetic alphabet. Like you.

So we are back to square one then? Why does Spanish thrive, given that Spanish is a very good example of what I advocate and has regional differences in pronunciation. And if you get pissy about me rubbing your nose back in Spanish then do note it's because you persist in claiming that the regional variances are an impediment to what I propose and Spanish provides a working example of what you claim is so difficult to achieve.

Quote:
They're separate? You can't be serious. You want to construct a phonetic alphabet without consideration for the way people actually speak?

Separate doesn't mean no consideration Joe. Linguists have long separated language into different parts. The phoneme is the smallest part of speech and the letter the smallest part of writing. The qualm I have with English orthography lies in the relationship of letters to phonemes. The relationship of the letters to words is just a consequence of that first relationship that I separate because it's just a separate moving part of the language.

What is most amazing to me is that you claim I'm being inordinately tangential while you are spending so much time stuck on how to describe what I propose instead of addressing what it actually is.

Quote:
Wow!

I have absolutely no idea how you arrived at that conclusion. Far from claiming it's impossible, I'm the one who wrote: "I think it should be pretty clear that any attention-seeking dunce can come up with his own phonetic spelling system." So I'm on record as not only saying that phonetic spelling systems are possible, but that anyone can come up with one. But since you are so sure that I've misquoted you and misrepresented your position, perhaps you'd like to point out precisely where I said that an orthography of the type that exists and is used by millions is impossible.

OK, let's take a walk down memory lane yet another time and I'll just hope you don't get stuck all over again.

You claimed that regional dialects render my proposal invalid and that it means I advocate "no standard". I told you that you are ignoring that many people already operate under a system like I propose without such difficulty and that they have many regional dialects. You asked what examples I had and I gave you the example of Spanish. Your retort to this was that I must be joking and you went on describing how my proposal's viability is fundamentally impeded by regional dialects.

I'm not sure if you ever used the word "impossible" but you were quite dogmatic that I was advocating "no standard" based on your claim that the regional dialects of English preclude my proposal from being a standard. So your incredulously retort that I was joking and persistence in arguing against the viability of my proposal is how I reached that conclusion.

Spanish is a good example of the degree of approximation to a true alphabet that I would like to see. It has regional dialects and has a standard. The bottom line is that what I propose is demonstrably viable.

Quote:
Robert Gentel wrote:
Quote:
Now, of course, if your interest is merely in duplicating something like the IPA or in studying comparative linguistics, then that's different. But since this entire thread has been about English spelling, I'm sure that's not the case here.

You still can't seem to pay me the courtesy of actually reading what I write before randomly speculating about what it is I am trying to say. In the very post you are replying to I was very clear about this:

"I would not seek to establish a phonetic notation for all languages (like the International Phonetic Alphabet purports to do)"

I'm merely covering all the bases.

Yet you claim I am the one being tangential while explaining away your straw men as "covering bases".

Quote:
Robert Gentel wrote:
Quote:
In the end, however, there is an easy solution to this problem. Since there is no recognized authority regulating either speech or spelling, language is technically in a state of anarchy.

The English language. Other languages do have recognized authorities that maintain their languages.

More or less. But then we're not talking about Spanish alphabetic reform, are we?

No, but once again Spanish has such authorities so it is a good example of why it is viable. The lack of the authority in English doesn't preclude such a beast.

Quote:
Robert Gentel wrote:
This analogy is stupid. You first raise the point that there is no central authority for the English language when that is my main bone to pick with the English language to then argue that no standard can be had. This ignores that other languages do have central authority and that this is something I advocate for English.

That is your gripe? That English doesn't have something like the Acadamie Française? Why didn't you say so three pages ago?

Frankly, that's a side issue. Establishing an "Acadamie Anglaise" is, I'm convinced, another serious flaw in your position, but it's not something that needs to be covered in a discussion about spelling or alphabet reform. So, unless you absolutely insist, I see no need to go into detail on this point.

If you don't think the lack of an authority is something that needs to be covered in a discussion about spelling reform then you shouldn't have used it as an argument for why the reform is not viable Joe. You are making a habit now of claiming that when people respond to things you bring up they are being tangential.

Quote:
Not a cop out at all. My point, all along, is that the type of reform that you advocate is not worth the costs involved, and that what you propose is, in itself, problematic.

This is revisionism on your part. You spent most of the first half of this discussion claiming that I was proposing no standard at all. Now you are claiming that your point was that there's a switching cost all along. I acknowledged the switching cost and improbability of the reform and was arguing it's linguistic merits. You fumbled along trying to argue it on linguistic terms and now want to portray the whole thing as merely an impracticality.

I'll address the specifics of the cost/benefit analysis at the end of this post.

Quote:
As I stated before: "What you're suggesting, then, is merely to substitute one problem (inconsistent phonetic spelling) for another (non-phonetic spelling)."

Well that's a good example of how you are just fumbling along the linguistic part of this discussion, because that does not describe the reform at all. It would be a change from being the most inconsistent phonemic alphabet of all major languages to being a more consistent phonemic alphabet and along the way it doesn't have to introduce additional phonetic inconsistency.

What you fail to understand is that the existing regional inconsistency is already a phonetic inconsistency that the normalization of the orthography at the letter-phoneme level would not introduce or even need to exacerbate. If they are already saying it differently there is already phonetic inconsistency and normalizing the inconsistency that all regional dialects share in their orthography does nothing to increase this.

Like I said from the very beginning this is a false dilemma.

Quote:
My analogy with the marketplace shows that there is already a mechanism in place to address your proposals. The fact, however, that such proposals have rarely been successful is, I think, a pretty good indication that the benefits of the "solution" are not worth the costs.

By that simplistic argument then Spanish is a good example of the market deeming that the benefits are worth the cost. But neither are true, and the market just tends to use whatever system they have no matter how convoluted it is. English orthography has not been shaped by the market accepting one viewpoint over the other in a cost/benefit analysis but is shaped in large part by some guy being the first to do it a certain way and setting a precedent.

Quote:
Now, I know you think yours is the only argument being ignored, but if you'd try to address my argument squarely you might spend a little less time with these rambling tangents (although I sincerely doubt it).

I'll stop arguing on rambling tangents as soon as you stop introducing them to the debate as your arguments. When you are done pretending that I don't advocate any standard and that regional dialects are compatible with my proposal I won't have to spend as much time arguing against that nonsense.

Quote:
So thanks, but there's no need to point out to me that English already uses a phonemic orthography. Like I said:

joefromchicago wrote:
In truth, most English words are either phonetic or else follow some pretty easy-to-learn rules.

There will be no need to point out what kind of writing system English uses when you cease to portray the proposals inaccurately. Furthermore your statement is not acceptable to me on its face. 84 of the 90 basic English spelling patterns have exceptions and the exceptions are substantial. If the rules are so easy, why don't you explain them?

Now on to the cost/benefit claim.

You believe the costs outweigh the benefits. I think that all depends on what your assessment of the value of the benefits and the detriment of the cost is, and I think a reasonable case can be made that it's more trouble than it's worth. But I don't think you've even attempted to make that case with real arguments against what I advocate (as opposed to tangents against the straw man of the perfectly phonetic orthography you prefer to argue against) so I'll outline some benefits and leave the costs to you to argue.

- Increased literacy - Tests using more phonetic alphabets to teach children have shown a greater rate of literacy and larger vocabularies. Them most comprehensive study I know of to compare literacy levels across languages that are inherent to the language itself was done by Philip Seymour, Professor of Cognitive Psychology at Dundee University when he compared 15 European languages and found that the levels of literacy that it took more than twice as much time for children to achieve the same literacy in English that their peers acheived in other languages typically What took about a year for their peers took 2 to 3 years for their peers studying English. I was unable to find the study itself published online but have found references like this one from the BBC or this one from the economist.
- Lesser rates of identifiable dyslexia. Why is dyslexia more prevalent in some countries (England and France) than others? Paulesu, et al. (2001) Science 291: 2165-2167 [1]. Studies show the same patterns in brain activity and suggest that the difference is that illogical languages bring out the symptoms.
- Faster reading - Nearly all spelling reform campaigns would reduce the amount of letters per word [ref] so this would mean that everyone reading English would be able to read more of it in the same time.
- Lower printing costs and less paper used - Given the above, the costs for printing would be lowered and less resources would be needed to produce the same literature.

The central benefit I see is that it frees up more of the mind and more time toward more useful endeavors than learning the absurdities of the English orthography. I've tossed in the lower printing costs in case you want to make a big deal about printing costs with language reform.

I think it would be fair to note that there are examples of modern spelling reform I will cite if you come back with nonsensical costs. I advocate small incremental changes toward the ideal to minimize the switching cost to any one generation. There are modern (within your lifetime) examples of national spelling reform that have done this and I think that's important to note before you get too carried away with the cost estimates.
Robert Gentel

Sun 14 Sep, 2008 06:52 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Robert, I'll allow that the Spanish, French, Japanese and some other language authorities have had success wrt determining writing norms. My point was/is that because these are artificial aspects of language, there is no conflict with any natural rules of language, so it's understandable that people will try to follow these writing guidelines.

As regards what is real language, speech, I doubt that they have been any more successful than the Prescriptivists of English in establishing rules because rules that are foreign to the natural rules of language can't and won't be followed.

I'm too bored of this discussion today (after writing a long post to Joe) to bring any citations but there is a relationship between speech and writing and the regulation of the writing affects how much drift there is in the speech.

Quote:
Being successful doesn't change the fact that they are prescribing a set of norms for the language. Prescription works for the norms of writing because some sort of artificial guidelines must be established for what is a completely artificial system.

I wouldn't describe it the same way but I won't argue it here either. Artificial or not the case for spelling reform doesn't go either way on this argument. The evolution of spelling is inevitable and this is a choice between changes that make sense versus changes that don't. Caxton virtually single-handedly standardized the spelling we use and if he'd merely been better with the language for which he'd leave a lasting legacy we'd be better off. Spanish standardization was done by people with a better grasp of linguistics and it is from their superiority in the understanding of language that they derived the superior orthography.

Quote:
All the rules in all languages that govern the mechanics of writing, as opposed to the structure of language, are artificial, hence prescriptive. The rules that describe the structure of language cannot be prescribed for as soon as someone accurately describes how language works they are being descriptive.

But again, we are discussing at cross purposes here because we can't compare writing to speech.

I think there is more give and take than you seem to, and think that prescriptive changes can and do take place even if I acknowledge that language itself is dominated by the crowd rather than the individual.

Wikipedia Editors wrote:
However, description and prescription can appear to be in conflict when stronger statements are made on either side. When an extreme prescriptivist wishes to condemn a very commonly used language phenomenon as solecism or barbarism or simply as vulgar, the evidence of description may testify to the acceptability of the form. This would be the case if someone wished to argue that ain't should not even be used in colloquial spoken English. Prescriptive statements will sometimes be heard which suggest that a word is inherently ugly; a descriptive approach will deny the meaningfulness of this judgment. In such instances of controversy, most linguists fall heavily on the descriptive side of the argument, accepting forms as correct or acceptable when they achieve general currency.

On the other hand, some adherents of a strongly descriptive approach may argue that prescription is always undesirable. Sometimes they see it as reactionary or stifling. A "pure descriptivist" would believe that no language form can ever be incorrect and that advice on language usage is always misplaced. However, this is a very rare position. Most of those who claim to oppose prescription per se are in fact only inimical to those forms of prescription not supported by current descriptive analysis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_prescription#Prescription_and_description_in_conflict

But as you note, this isn't hugely relevant to this discussion. Even if you subscribe to the notion of the living language individuals can still make efforts to guide the evolution towards more sanity. It certainly won't mean anything until it becomes descriptive but prescriptive linguistics is a real part of language and like nearly everything in language compromise needs to be made. I reject pure descriptivism but recognize the basic validity of their platform as basic mathematics. After all, the "teeming millions" tend to outnumber the stodgy gate keepers.

Quote:
I can understand that it got you in trouble for it is not the job of lexicographers to invent vocabulary, [and what follows may sound contradictory] though lexicographers have every right as users of the language to do so and have done so.

The contradiction is where the compromise needs to take place. If I had kept at it till it began to take I would have become right. Where I was wrong was to purport to use descriptive linguistics for prescriptive means.

Quote:
It sounds like you just took the wrong tact. Valley Girls, surfer dudes and many others have had remarkable success in introducing new words to English. New words are coined daily.

Well I took both, and I still see people I know using words I tried to spread years ago (like Monger here on able2know).

Quote:
Had you introduced 'quaffage' and 'quaffable' in the bar with your colleagues, I'm sure there would have been much less resistance.

Oh but that's exactly how it happened! It started in a bar and spread to a group of friends and evolved into a strange language of "age" suffixes. It involved bastardizations like "quaffagement" in a pattern that I've now thankfully forgot.

Quote:
And what did you do but follow the real rules of language; adding 'able' to a verb form to make an adjective, and adding 'age' to a verb form to make a noun. These are common features of English.

Oh but we didn't stop there...

Quote:
That's false, Robert. Words don't have to get into a dictionary to be words. Many never will, but they stand as words because we use them, understand them and, often, expand them to other parts of speech.

I didn't say that they have to be in a dictionary to be words. In fact the biggest reason I liked working on lexicography was that I felt that dictionaries were woefully inadequate.

What I'm saying is that if the word had gained the recognition from use it would invalidate the descriptive purist's objections because such recognition is largely a descriptive process.

Quote:
with the definition that I envisaged, following the rules of English that I have contained in my internal grammar. Maybe your bosses or colleagues were a bit hasty, or you were in thinking that you had coined a new word.

It wouldn't have been the first time that someone else thought the same thing I did, but those definitions are not exactly what I had had in mind. But I'm not taking up that fight again.

Quote:
I agree that there are some problems with the spelling system but I don't believe they can be described as "wrong". As I've mentioned, it's an artificial system and spelling could be much different and worse than it is. We could actually spell 'apple' as '#**^@'.

I agree, and "less ideal" is a more appropriate criticism.

Quote:
Doesn't it make much more sense, especially in this day and age of spell checkers for us to develop people's minds, and not get hung up on spelling. There are myriad examples of people who could never read and write who have made remarkable advances, who have made some incredible inventions.

But imagine if they had a couple of extra years to spend on something other than learning to read...

Quote:
My understanding is that a syllabary is a system wherein each symbol/letter stands for one sound and one sound only as opposed to an alphabet where, well you know this already because you are a native English speaker. I thought that was what Spanish had.

No, Spanish is an alphabetic writing system. It just has more phonetic consistency than English. A syllabary uses a single symbol to represent the syllable, while Spanish as an alphabetic system uses letter combinations to write some syllables. An example of a syllabary writing system would be Japanese Kana and there are still other logographic systems like Japanese Kanji where the grapheme represents whole words.

In Japan they use all three of those systems for example, using Romaji (alphabetic), Hiragana and Katagana (syllabary) and Kanji (logographic).
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Tue 16 Sep, 2008 04:19 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
If you found them tangential you shouldn't have brought them up. I was largely responding to the meandering course you took.

And I to you.

Robert Gentel wrote:
I offered no less proof when correcting you than you did when making the error in the first place. So if mine was an ipse dixit then it shares that quality with your claim but differentiates itself by not being wrong, like yours was.

Ipse dixit redux.

Robert Gentel wrote:
If you don't think it's important then you shouldn't have brought it up. You equated French orthography to English orthography when even French has a fundamentally superior orthography to English that English could take a cue or two from.

In French orthography there are multiple ways to write a sound, so if you hear a word you may not be able to spell it. But unlike English if you see the word you have a very good chance of being able to say it because French doesn't share English's tendency to have multiple sounds for the same letter combinations. Furthermore, French uses diatrics and because of this the alphabet itself can represent more sounds than can English's. One of the fundamental challenges in an alphabetic orthography is that there are more sounds in use than letters to represent them. The French diatric marks are a fundamental difference in the orthographies giving French more graphemes than English to work with.

"Diatric marks?" Is that another Cravenism that you're trying to shoehorn into the English language? Good luck with that.

And exactly how much do those diacritical marks extend French orthography to cover more sounds than are already covered by the standard alphabet?

Robert Gentel wrote:
You had claimed that there was "little difference" and that French orthography was equally challenging. So yes, I am happy you learned that the orthography is not equal in this regard and if you need to portray it as inordinate pedantry on my part to correct you and claim it's no longer important to the discussion (even though you brought it up) I am happy that you eventually got it right.

Ho hum.

Robert Gentel wrote:
Well that's a very pointless point because I am not advocating a perfectly phonetic alphabet and if you hadn't jumped to that conclusion or had listened to me telling you repeatedly that you are off on that tangent you would have saved yourself a lot of time. There are no major languages that are purely phonetic and a rudimentary understanding of linguistics is all that is needed to understand why the proponents of English spelling reform throughout history have largely never advocated such a thing.

Far from "telling me repeatedly" that you are not advocating a perfectly phonetic alphabet, that is actually a rather recent amendment to your position. But, as I have mentioned before, I can appreciate that the format of these discussions does not always lend itself to an orderly presentation of one's argument, and I'm willing to cut you some slack.

You started out by saying that you wanted "a phonetic replacement standard." Later, you said that "The phonetic standard I advocate is a mapping of the sounds used in English to specific letters or combinations." It was only in response to one of my questions that you brought up the example of Spanish as a language where the "alphabet itself is simple phonetics." But even then you didn't identify Spanish as something that was not "purely phonetic." It was only in this post that you hinted at the possibility that you were deviating from "a phonetic replacement standard" when you said "I am proposing a phonemic alphabet and not a strict phonetic transcription alphabet."

From then on, you have successively refined your position, and now it appears you are advocating a rather more limited change than the one you advocated in your initial post. That's fine. In fact, I probably wouldn't have taken issue with you if you had laid out that position in your first post as you have in your last one. Like I said, I don't have too big of a problem with expanding upon one's position over the course of successive posts. You must, however, understand that my responses necessarily evolved in conjunction with yours.

Robert Gentel wrote:
I agree that calling the Spanish alphabet "simple phonetics" can reasonably be interpreted as false, it's phonetic to a simple degree but is not a perfect phonetic orthography and my statement can be read to imply as much. That being said, if you know the sound mappings you can still write any word you hear. Even if you hear it in another dialect it's very recognizable. In English you can't write some words you've never seen even if you hear it in your own dialect.

Sure you can. Most neologisms are pretty easy to spell. And even if they aren't, it's usually pretty easy to come up with a close approximation. For instance, if you had said that you were interested in French "diatrics," I'm sure I could have come up with the same spelling that you did, even though I had never heard the word before (and hope never to hear it again).

Robert Gentel wrote:
I think it got surreal because of your insistence on treating my proposal as a perfect phonetic orthography. I stated repeatedly that I didn't care if there were regional variations of spelling and that your objections were not relevant to what I propose and this is all true. Your objections were predicated on insisting that I was advocating a perfect phonetic orthography and that is just not the case. I was clear that I understand the predictable relationship between an alphabet and words but that I am simply not trying to establish a uniform way to spell across all regional dialects and that I would be happy with mere consistency with phoneme and the letters representing it.

As I've mentioned before, I don't see how you can be interested in alphabet reform but remain agnostic about spelling reform. Furthermore, I don't see why you'd even bother with alphabet reform if you weren't interested in spelling reform. But then your own statements show that you are interested primarily in spelling reform, so your protestations to the contrary remain unconvincing.

Robert Gentel wrote:
So I'm glad this is out of the way. We both get that the alphabet shares a predicable relationship with words, and hopefully you get that English spelling reform (as I and just about any other reformist advocate) is simply not about a perfect phonetic orthography.

That's fine. If you want to spell "through" as "thru," then go for it. I wish you the best of luck.

Robert Gentel wrote:
This is a stupid logomachy.

I'm glad you're finally seeing it my way.

Robert Gentel wrote:
My qualms with the spelling problem largely center around the alphabet's inadequacies. There are other spelling "problems" that I am not referring to and this is why I make the distinction. For example, I don't mind that there are some differences in regional spelling as much as I mind that the alphabet's relationship to the words doesn't make sense in any of the dialects.

That is why I am focusing on the more fundamentally flawed letters to phoneme relationship and not its consequential phoneme to words relationship in this discussion.

Two sides of the same coin.

Robert Gentel wrote:
So we are back to square one then? Why does Spanish thrive, given that Spanish is a very good example of what I advocate and has regional differences in pronunciation. And if you get pissy about me rubbing your nose back in Spanish then do note it's because you persist in claiming that the regional variances are an impediment to what I propose and Spanish provides a working example of what you claim is so difficult to achieve.

Pissy? I must have missed that.

I don't claim that adopting a consistent Spanish spelling is difficult to achieve -- for Spanish speakers. But then we're not talking about them, are we? Nor do I argue that it would be difficult to come up with an English orthography that is perfectly, or even imperfectly, phonetic. I've gone over that a couple of times -- no need to repeat it here. The problem isn't the technical one that you're talking about, it's all the practical ones that you have brushed off as largely inconsequential.

Robert Gentel wrote:
Separate doesn't mean no consideration Joe. Linguists have long separated language into different parts. The phoneme is the smallest part of speech and the letter the smallest part of writing. The qualm I have with English orthography lies in the relationship of letters to phonemes. The relationship of the letters to words is just a consequence of that first relationship that I separate because it's just a separate moving part of the language.

What is most amazing to me is that you claim I'm being inordinately tangential while you are spending so much time stuck on how to describe what I propose instead of addressing what it actually is.

Making sure I know what you're talking about is tangential to what you're talking about? I beg to differ.

Robert Gentel wrote:
OK, let's take a walk down memory lane yet another time and I'll just hope you don't get stuck all over again.

You claimed that regional dialects render my proposal invalid and that it means I advocate "no standard". I told you that you are ignoring that many people already operate under a system like I propose without such difficulty and that they have many regional dialects. You asked what examples I had and I gave you the example of Spanish. Your retort to this was that I must be joking and you went on describing how my proposal's viability is fundamentally impeded by regional dialects.

I'm not sure if you ever used the word "impossible" but you were quite dogmatic that I was advocating "no standard" based on your claim that the regional dialects of English preclude my proposal from being a standard. So your incredulously retort that I was joking and persistence in arguing against the viability of my proposal is how I reached that conclusion.

Spanish is a good example of the degree of approximation to a true alphabet that I would like to see. It has regional dialects and has a standard. The bottom line is that what I propose is demonstrably viable.

Since it appears that you no longer advocate a "phonetic standard," I'll waive my previous objection.

Robert Gentel wrote:
Yet you claim I am the one being tangential while explaining away your straw men as "covering bases".

Give it a rest.

Robert Gentel wrote:
No, but once again Spanish has such authorities so it is a good example of why it is viable. The lack of the authority in English doesn't preclude such a beast.

Theoretically, no, it doesn't.

Robert Gentel wrote:
If you don't think the lack of an authority is something that needs to be covered in a discussion about spelling reform then you shouldn't have used it as an argument for why the reform is not viable Joe. You are making a habit now of claiming that when people respond to things you bring up they are being tangential.

You can do me the courtesy of reading what I have written. I never said that the lack of an authority was an argument for why the reform is not viable." Indeed, in my market analogy, I think I made it perfectly clear that the lack of an authority is the existing mechanism for spelling reform of English. Far from making it non-viable, the lack of a central authority makes spelling reform even more viable than in countries with ultraconservative language academies.

Robert Gentel wrote:
This is revisionism on your part. You spent most of the first half of this discussion claiming that I was proposing no standard at all. Now you are claiming that your point was that there's a switching cost all along. I acknowledged the switching cost and improbability of the reform and was arguing it's linguistic merits. You fumbled along trying to argue it on linguistic terms and now want to portray the whole thing as merely an impracticality.

As I pointed out, if there has been any change in my responses, it is because they reflect the changes in your positions.

Robert Gentel wrote:
Well that's a good example of how you are just fumbling along the linguistic part of this discussion, because that does not describe the reform at all. It would be a change from being the most inconsistent phonemic alphabet of all major languages to being a more consistent phonemic alphabet and along the way it doesn't have to introduce additional phonetic inconsistency.

What you fail to understand is that the existing regional inconsistency is already a phonetic inconsistency that the normalization of the orthography at the letter-phoneme level would not introduce or even need to exacerbate. If they are already saying it differently there is already phonetic inconsistency and normalizing the inconsistency that all regional dialects share in their orthography does nothing to increase this.

Like I said from the very beginning this is a false dilemma.

I don't fail to understand that regional inconsistency is already phonetic inconsistency. I think I made that pretty clear. And if all you're advocating now is adopting an orthography that covers those areas where there is no regional inconsistency (e.g. in the pronunciation of the "f" sound), then that's fine with me. The problem comes in where there is regional inconsistency (e.g. in the pronunciation of vowel sounds).

Robert Gentel wrote:
By that simplistic argument then Spanish is a good example of the market deeming that the benefits are worth the cost. But neither are true, and the market just tends to use whatever system they have no matter how convoluted it is. English orthography has not been shaped by the market accepting one viewpoint over the other in a cost/benefit analysis but is shaped in large part by some guy being the first to do it a certain way and setting a precedent.

But there are costs and benefits in overturning precedent.

Robert Gentel wrote:
I'll stop arguing on rambling tangents as soon as you stop introducing them to the debate as your arguments. When you are done pretending that I don't advocate any standard and that regional dialects are compatible with my proposal I won't have to spend as much time arguing against that nonsense.

As I pointed out, if there has been any change in my responses, it is because they reflect the changes in your positions.

Robert Gentel wrote:
There will be no need to point out what kind of writing system English uses when you cease to portray the proposals inaccurately. Furthermore your statement is not acceptable to me on its face. 84 of the 90 basic English spelling patterns have exceptions and the exceptions are substantial. If the rules are so easy, why don't you explain them?

I won't explain them for the same reason that you won't explain all the ways in which French orthography is more consistent than English. This is a discussion forum, not a court of law.

Robert Gentel wrote:
Now on to the cost/benefit claim.

You believe the costs outweigh the benefits. I think that all depends on what your assessment of the value of the benefits and the detriment of the cost is, and I think a reasonable case can be made that it's more trouble than it's worth. But I don't think you've even attempted to make that case with real arguments against what I advocate (as opposed to tangents against the straw man of the perfectly phonetic orthography you prefer to argue against) so I'll outline some benefits and leave the costs to you to argue.

- Increased literacy - Tests using more phonetic alphabets to teach children have shown a greater rate of literacy and larger vocabularies. Them most comprehensive study I know of to compare literacy levels across languages that are inherent to the language itself was done by Philip Seymour, Professor of Cognitive Psychology at Dundee University when he compared 15 European languages and found that the levels of literacy that it took more than twice as much time for children to achieve the same literacy in English that their peers acheived in other languages typically What took about a year for their peers took 2 to 3 years for their peers studying English. I was unable to find the study itself published online but have found references like this one from the BBC or this one from the economist.

Well, if you're suggesting that there is some sort of causative link between the difficulty of a language's orthography and illiteracy, you'll need to do better than that. Illiteracy is a difficult problem, and one that has many sources. I should imagine that poverty correlates much more strongly with illiteracy than orthography. Furthermore, according to the CIA, the literacy levels in the US and the UK are 99 percent. In contrast, in Turkey, which has a language where "the spelling is largely phonetic, with one letter corresponding to each phoneme," the literacy rate is 87.4%. Now, that number is greatly influenced by the fact that women have a much lower literacy rate than men, which is probably due to systemic sex discrimination, but then that just reinforces the argument that illiteracy is multi-determined.

In short, if English orthography is leading to widespread illiteracy, it's not showing up in the numbers.

Robert Gentel wrote:
- Lesser rates of identifiable dyslexia. Why is dyslexia more prevalent in some countries (England and France) than others? Paulesu, et al. (2001) Science 291: 2165-2167 [1]. Studies show the same patterns in brain activity and suggest that the difference is that illogical languages bring out the symptoms.

That may very well be so, but then dyslexia is likely also multi-determined. Show me a study that provides a causative link between orthography and dyslexia and I might be more sympathetic to this sort of argument.

Robert Gentel wrote:
- Faster reading - Nearly all spelling reform campaigns would reduce the amount of letters per word [ref] so this would mean that everyone reading English would be able to read more of it in the same time.

Honestly, I see little advantage in being a faster reader, but I suppose you're right: I can read "thru" much more quickly than "through."

Robert Gentel wrote:
- Lower printing costs and less paper used - Given the above, the costs for printing would be lowered and less resources would be needed to produce the same literature.

This is just silly. If you read a typical English passage next to its French or German translation, for instance, the English passage is almost always shorter -- even with all of the aberrant spellings. I suppose simplifying the spelling would make books shorter, but they're already pretty short, all things considered.

Robert Gentel wrote:
The central benefit I see is that it frees up more of the mind and more time toward more useful endeavors than learning the absurdities of the English orthography. I've tossed in the lower printing costs in case you want to make a big deal about printing costs with language reform.

I think it would be fair to note that there are examples of modern spelling reform I will cite if you come back with nonsensical costs. I advocate small incremental changes toward the ideal to minimize the switching cost to any one generation. There are modern (within your lifetime) examples of national spelling reform that have done this and I think that's important to note before you get too carried away with the cost estimates.

Go for it! There's nobody to stop you.
Robert Gentel

Wed 17 Sep, 2008 09:09 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Robert Gentel wrote:

And I to you.

But when I respond to the things you bring up they are suddenly irrelevant? Seriously each of the tangents you accused me of were subjects you brought up. I'll readily admit to being loquacious and prone to tangents but I just don't buy that I was solely responsible here.

In any case, this might represent the best chance we have to agree on this thread: arguing about who has been more tangential is, itself, tangential. I'm going to do my best to avoid playing gotcha and get us actually discussing orthography in this post.

Quote:
Ipse dixit redux.

Do you want citations or do you just wanna say Ipse dixit? You'd already ceded the point but do you still want substantiation? I remember this being about my claim that French orthography is not equally defective and though I cited reasons to disagree I didn't bother citing references because the claims I made were not very polemic in nature. However if you'd like to dispute them I'll try to provide references for them.

I see this as being in line with your "discussion forum vs court of law" comment. I was disputing a claim you made with no substantiation, and it would be a lot of work to dig up the substantiation for it and that's hard work I'd like to avoid unless you at least indicate that you find it dubious.

If you don't actually disagree with what I said you are sending me on a snipe hunt.

Quote:
"Diatric marks?" Is that another Cravenism that you're trying to shoehorn into the English language? Good luck with that.

Not really, it's just a brainfart. I'd fat fingered it and picked the wrong spell check suggestion.

Quote:
And exactly how much do those diacritical marks extend French orthography to cover more sounds than are already covered by the standard alphabet?

In situations where multiple sounds for a letter are possible they can indicate which one.

"There are no letters that always require a diacritic to produce a given sound; rather, where a given letter has multiple possible sounds, a diacritic indicates that the sound that might be expected from the context is not the one that is used." More info

Quote:
Far from "telling me repeatedly" that you are not advocating a perfectly phonetic alphabet, that is actually a rather recent amendment to your position. But, as I have mentioned before, I can appreciate that the format of these discussions does not always lend itself to an orderly presentation of one's argument, and I'm willing to cut you some slack.

Joe it has nothing to do with the format. I'd not outlined a proposal in detail at all before you jumped to a conclusion about the specifics of what I advocate and started telling me what standard I was advocating or how it wasn't at all a standard.

I've been advocating spelling reform for nearly a decade now, and haven't seen any changes in my viewpoint in the last 5 years or so.

Quote:
You started out by saying that you wanted "a phonetic replacement standard." Later, you said that "The phonetic standard I advocate is a mapping of the sounds used in English to specific letters or combinations." It was only in response to one of my questions that you brought up the example of Spanish as a language where the "alphabet itself is simple phonetics." But even then you didn't identify Spanish as something that was not "purely phonetic."

There is no real language in history that used a perfectly phonetic orthography and colloquially a "phonetic language" is merely one that is closer to the phonemic ideal.

I certainly could have been more precise in saying that I advocated "a shallower orthography" but at that time I'd not been using linguistic jargon in this thread and was referring to the type of system I would like to see in a colloquialism. I was very quick to indicate that Spanish was a good example of what I am talking about and I just didn't expect to need to point out to you that it's not a perfect phonemic ideal and that no legitimate linguist advocates such a thing when they speak of spelling reform.

Quote:
It was only in this post that you hinted at the possibility that you were deviating from "a phonetic replacement standard" when you said "I am proposing a phonemic alphabet and not a strict phonetic transcription alphabet."

And that's because only a few posts prior to that was a strict phonetic transcription alphabet" (the IPA) introduced to the thread. None of the main spelling reform platforms in history have ever advocated such a thing as far as I am aware and I just didn't imagine that it would be necessary to point out that English orthography can't be as phonetic as that.

Quote:
From then on, you have successively refined your position, and now it appears you are advocating a rather more limited change than the one you advocated in your initial post.

My position hasn't changed a bit in this thread (though I did actually learn a few things about Scandinavian language history as a result), I've had to give more details to explain to you that the direction you were going with it wasn't what I had had in mind but I never laid out my own thoughts on this in detail.

Quote:
That's fine. In fact, I probably wouldn't have taken issue with you if you had laid out that position in your first post as you have in your last one. Like I said, I don't have too big of a problem with expanding upon one's position over the course of successive posts. You must, however, understand that my responses necessarily evolved in conjunction with yours.

I understand that, and I appreciate that a lot more than the more rigid types of discussion that never get past the first impression and the ground staked out then. I am guilty of using very imprecise colloquial terms initially but my position really hasn't evolved over the course of this thread. If you read the very first threads on this site, you'll note that I was talking about orthography a lot back then and this is simply not a new subject for me. My position on this solidified years ago when I was working with languages full time.

Quote:
Sure you can. Most neologisms are pretty easy to spell. And even if they aren't, it's usually pretty easy to come up with a close approximation. For instance, if you had said that you were interested in French "diatrics," I'm sure I could have come up with the same spelling that you did, even though I had never heard the word before (and hope never to hear it again).

I'm not talking about neologisms. When I said "new" words I meant new to the individual, not the language. Many common words are not as easy to spell as the example you gave (e.g "ough" words, or double consonants).
Quote:
As I've mentioned before, I don't see how you can be interested in alphabet reform but remain agnostic about spelling reform.

I'm not agnostic about spelling reform. It's just something I see as a product of the alphabet's reform and I don't have a particular way I want words spelled, I have a level of consistency I would like to see between the grapheme and the phoneme.

For example, I think the word "island" should be spelled iland because the attempt to connect it to isle is a false etymological connection and this would ultimately be a correction of bat etymology. But if the "s" were not a silent letter and played some part in the logical relationship between letters and sounds I would not have a big bone to pick with it.

I don't also care if there are regional spelling standards for words due to different pronunciation as much as I care about having a less defective orthography.

So while I do have an opinion about words, and have preferences on how they be spelled, I am just not very prescriptive on my linguistic view there in comparison to the degree of prescriptive linguistics I subscribe to when it comes to the the orthographic ideal.

Quote:
Furthermore, I don't see why you'd even bother with alphabet reform if you weren't interested in spelling reform. But then your own statements show that you are interested primarily in spelling reform, so your protestations to the contrary remain unconvincing.

I guess it's just a way of describing the same thing with different motivations Joe. There is a very predictable relationship between letters and words once the alphabet is defined. I see my motivation as wanting to make the predictability more logical and easier to deduce instead of memorize but if you want to see the primary motivation the desire to prescribe the exact spelling of words it really doesn't make much of a difference to the legitimacy of the proposal.

Quote:
That's fine. If you want to spell "through" as "thru," then go for it. I wish you the best of luck.

Well it's not that simple, I don't see forking the orthography as being useful at that scale. I don't subscribe to the extremities of prescriptive linguistics either Joe, so I recognize that compromise is needed in order to gain the consensus that is needed for the network effect that is needed for the change to be a net positive.

Quote:
Robert Gentel wrote:
This is a stupid logomachy.

I'm glad you're finally seeing it my way.

I actually don't know what way you see it Joe. And at the end of this I will give a brief description of the details of what I advocate and maybe then I'll find out. Hopefully that will end the disagreement on what I actually advocate and will allow the discussion to move onto the merits of what I actually do advocate.

I recognize that a lot of time could have been saved by doing so in advance, but I didn't start this thread with the intention of outlining my own viewpoint on spelling reform as much as just bookmark an article about a new academic voice calling for it.

Quote:
Robert Gentel wrote:

Two sides of the same coin.

That's semantics though. This is how I see it in a parable:

There is a currency with inconsistent value. Some places, the price of a can of coke is 1.00 and others 25,000.00 (that's how illogical I find a lot of English orthography). I want there to be a more consistent relationship, and think that the fundamental problem is that some people think the money's inherent value is different than others.

So I say that we should standardize it and hear objections about how the inherent value of a can of coke is not the same in every region. Recognizing this I focus on establishing the standards for the value of the unit of currency itself, and understand that though this will have a predictable relationship with the price of a can of coke it still allows that price to float within more logical boundaries.

So my goal in English orthography is to make it shallower, and I while I have opinions on how it should get there in very precise detail I'm willing to compromise on how words are spelled more than I am willing to compromise on how the alphabet works.

Quote:
Pissy? I must have missed that.

Wasn't aimed your way.

Quote:
I don't claim that adopting a consistent Spanish spelling is difficult to achieve -- for Spanish speakers. But then we're not talking about them, are we?

No but they are the example that proves that a shallower orthography's viability is not that dramatically influenced by the diversity of its regional dialects.

Quote:
Nor do I argue that it would be difficult to come up with an English orthography that is perfectly, or even imperfectly, phonetic. I've gone over that a couple of times -- no need to repeat it here. The problem isn't the technical one that you're talking about, it's all the practical ones that you have brushed off as largely inconsequential.

I don't think you've even addressed the real practical problems yet though Joe. I think a lot of the practical problems you brought up are a result of seeing a perfect uncompromising orthography as the proposal.

For example, my biggest bone to pick with the spelling reform I propose is the loss of etymology to the written words. While they may become more easy to pronounce they might become harder to understand. That's a big problem in practice I see and those real problems to spelling reform really haven't been addressed here because the problems have centered on an extreme phonetic ideal coupled with sweeping changes at one time (e.g. the reprinting arguments).

Quote:
Making sure I know what you're talking about is tangential to what you're talking about? I beg to differ.

No, but going so far with guesses doesn't lend itself well to finding out what it is, just what it isn't.

Quote:
Since it appears that you no longer advocate a "phonetic standard," I'll waive my previous objection.

I advocate a shallow orthographic standard that strives to be more phonetic than the current orthography. But don't waive your objections just yet.

Quote:
Robert Gentel wrote:

Give it a rest.

I will actually. If you interpret my proposal with wild inaccuracy I'm just not going to waste that much of my time on it again.

Quote:
You can do me the courtesy of reading what I have written. I never said that the lack of an authority was an argument for why the reform is not viable." Indeed, in my market analogy, I think I made it perfectly clear that the lack of an authority is the existing mechanism for spelling reform of English. Far from making it non-viable, the lack of a central authority makes spelling reform even more viable than in countries with ultraconservative language academies.

I guess I just find that to be the polar opposite of what I believe. Even if the authority is ultraconservative I think the existence of a final authority at all reduces the biggest challenge to spelling reform: consensus.

Quote:

My position is pretty static, I want the shallowness of orthography that Spanish has. I'm going to try to stop arguing about what my position is and just try to lay it out for you at the end of this post.

Quote:
I don't fail to understand that regional inconsistency is already phonetic inconsistency. I think I made that pretty clear. And if all you're advocating now is adopting an orthography that covers those areas where there is no regional inconsistency (e.g. in the pronunciation of the "f" sound), then that's fine with me. The problem comes in where there is regional inconsistency (e.g. in the pronunciation of vowel sounds).

You seemed to (and I'm too weary to look up an exact citation) imply that the introduction of the spelling reform would introduce additional inconsistency. My point is that they are already inconsistent if they vary from region to region and that establishing a standard wouldn't introduce the inconsistency so much as not take it into enough consideration in the standard.

In other words, the regional dialect challenge I see to a shallower orthography is that some variations are going to be considered non-standard. It's a significant linguistic problem in that it's a strong prescription but not because it introduces inconsistency, but because it leaves some of the inconsistency outside of the standard.

Quote:
But there are costs and benefits in overturning precedent.

I agree. But I think with the right balance the costs don't outweigh the benefits.

Quote:
I won't explain them for the same reason that you won't explain all the ways in which French orthography is more consistent than English. This is a discussion forum, not a court of law.

Fair enough, I agree that asking you to provide the simple rules was an unfair question that amounted to an unfair argument. I have avoided going into great detail on the specifics of the system I consider to be simpler because even that would be a lot of work.

So I'm going to amend my argument to state that I believe you find English easy because you already learned the intricacies of it's orthography. I don't think it can be described as an easy orthography, and I think it a good case can be made that it's one of the most inconsistent orthographies of any major language .

So, without any requirement to codify the orthography here do you agree with that assessment? That English spelling rules are not comparatively "easy"?

If your point is that they are not sufficiently difficult to preclude an individual with average intellectual endowment from learning them I agree but the reform doesn't stem from a belief that English orthography is impossible to learn, just that it is too difficult to learn.

Quote:
Well, if you're suggesting that there is some sort of causative link between the difficulty of a language's orthography and illiteracy, you'll need to do better than that.

I agree. I'm going to first start by defining what I'm talking about more accurately. I'm not talking about the national literacy rates that you seem to have in mind. The very thing that they purport to measure is different from country to country.

The study I referenced did not examine national literacy statistics but rather tested the children from each country in specific tests to gauge their literacy at different levels in their education.

The study is the most comprehensive one of its sort that I believe exists so if it fails to convince you I'll have to live with that but it established that the other kids had a greater degree of literacy at an earlier age than the English speaking kids.

Quote:
Illiteracy is a difficult problem, and one that has many sources. I should imagine that poverty correlates much more strongly with illiteracy than orthography. Furthermore, according to the CIA, the literacy levels in the US and the UK are 99 percent. In contrast, in Turkey, which has a language where "the spelling is largely phonetic, with one letter corresponding to each phoneme," the literacy rate is 87.4%. Now, that number is greatly influenced by the fact that women have a much lower literacy rate than men, which is probably due to systemic sex discrimination, but then that just reinforces the argument that illiteracy is multi-determined.

Yes, but I'm not talking about the country having a higher rate of people it considers literate but rather greater literacy, on average, for the individual.

For example, if you were to double your vocabulary I would consider you to have raised your degree of literacy but you wouldn't have affected the national literacy rates because you are already considered "literate".

So I think that reducing the complexity of the orthography would amount to more individual literacy or the same literacy in a shorter amount of time. I don't necessarily think it will correlate with national literacy rates being higher because the bar for being considered literate is quite low.

Quote:
In short, if English orthography is leading to widespread illiteracy, it's not showing up in the numbers.

Ok, but I wasn't talking about illiteracy as defined by the kind of litmus test that national literacy rates are using.

Quote:
That may very well be so, but then dyslexia is likely also multi-determined. Show me a study that provides a causative link between orthography and dyslexia and I might be more sympathetic to this sort of argument.

Joe I never claimed there was a "causative" link. I believe that a good case has been made to the effect that English orthography exacerbates existing conditions to result in higher rates of identifiable dyslexia.

I used that wording for a reason, and that's because dyslexia is not something that is objectively diagnosed by physical factors, it's a condition that is diagnosed on the basis of the symptoms.

So I think that the studies and comparative rates lend a case to English orthography causing more people to suffer those symptoms and don't contend that it causes it. Similarly, I think that wheelchair access is a good idea because stairs make life harder on the handicapped, not because they create the handicap.

I think the studies showing similarly aberrational brain activity in non-dyslexics using other languages is an interesting bit of evidence. It doesn't do so conclusively but it points to there being less physiological differences than symptomatic differences.

Quote:
Honestly, I see little advantage in being a faster reader, but I suppose you're right: I can read "thru" much more quickly than "through."

Actually you can't (and if that's your point then the sarcasm didn't register strongly enough for me). You don't read every letter anyway and the additional speed comes from a larger scale than the individual word. More words per line, and more words per page is where the main benefit comes.

The advantages are not dramatic on their own but even a small improvement can add up to a lot more information read over your lifetime.

Quote:
This is just silly. If you read a typical English passage next to its French or German translation, for instance, the English passage is almost always shorter -- even with all of the aberrant spellings. I suppose simplifying the spelling would make books shorter, but they're already pretty short, all things considered.

I think it's silly, but it counters another silly argument well (the cost of printing incurred by the new orthography).

Quote:
Go for it! There's nobody to stop you.

Oh but there are. Without consensus there is no network effect.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I promised to lay out some detail and I will try to do so now, but I'm much more bored after typing all this than when I promised so I'm going to be lazier than I let on earlier so if I omit some specifics please don't rush to a conclusion about what I mean and give me a chance to expound on it.

1) Authority. A recognized authority is something I think is important to a language. A system where prestige dictates authority is imprecise and creates market competition that isn't driven by linguistic merits as much as business ones.

For example the OED doesn't have a lot of incentive to reform given that their business centers around being the most prestigious lexicon of the mess that is English spelling.

I think languages need slight regulation and that this regulation is not a one-time thing. In fact, I even have specific periodicity in mind (50 years, to correlate somewhat with generational drifts) and some real authority is something I consider as important to language as the changes I'd like the authority to codify.

Ideally there would be a central English authority and various national or regional authorities that work in concert but even one national authority (e.g. a US one) is something I would consider a tremendous improvement.

I'll go very slightly into my own simulations about how it could be made and what I think it would take to have sufficient authority to do what I would want it to.

- It should involve a democratic government and legislation to officialize the "standard". For example, if the US language authority recognized a standard orthography I would expect the government publications to use it and some incentive to be given for the academic community to teach it (e.g. funding tied to the standard orthography).
- It should involve the educators. More than anything the place where the authority needs to be recognized is in the classroom. Giving the educators buy-in of some degree can help with the incentives for them to adopt it.
- It should involve the existing "authorities" in the language that are based on prestige extensively. I won't name every linguistic authority I have thought of but obvious ones are OED and Webster. I think the most prestigious institutions that currently are used as the final say on the language should play the biggest part in developing the intricacies of the new standards.

2) Incremental change. I don't think the language should change overnight. It needs regular updating anyway so I believe it should go about making the change within the structure it would already need to maintain the language. I would prefer limited updates at a periodicity of every 50 years.

I prefer that the alphabet be mapped to sounds initially so that the logic doesn't evolve dramatically as the increments come and the goalposts move.
However, I don't want it all implemented at one time and would allow for evolution of the target goal within reason.

I don't want the language to just start dropping letters here and there and changing a word at a time. I want a consensus to be established on the alphabet first, with the compromises fought over for a while before deciding on an ideal goal and tackling the least contentious changes first.

3) Compromise. No language is going to reach the orthographic ideal without compromising a lot of other linguistic value. There is enough crazy stuff in the English language to address things that make no sense in any dialect before trying to address the things that would cause regional accents to become an issue.

I don't want to get too specific here, or I'll end up writing another detailed draft of reform orthography but here is the kind of balance I'd strike:

- I would address the most illogical and most prevalent problems first and double consonants would make the top of my list along with illogical silent letters (e.g. not the ones that make a vowel long, but the ones that are there because some idiot thought it would make the word pretty, like the "b" in debt, or the "s" in island). These initial changes would have broad utility across regional dialects.
- I would prefer to not start with diacritics because that is very off putting to people who aren't used to them. For the same reason I would not like to introduce additional letters and would prefer to implement the letter combination standards I think should be the basis of the initial changes. If the standard alphabet has diacritics or additional letters and gets consensus that's fine with me, I'm used to them but I think there are non linguistic reasons (e.g. computers) that may eventually make their use a harder challenge to bring about.

4) Future loan words and neologisms. I would want the loan words to stop being used as is and to be anglicized. English has a habit of just picking up the word as it is in the borrowed language and expecting English users to simply pick up that bit of the other language even if its orthography does not share much with English. This is one of those areas where the change would lose some of the meaning codified into the orthography and people like me who understand a lot of loan words instantly because of familiarity with other languages would suffer but at least the English language would be rid of its habit of adopting foreign words with no consideration for its own structure.

That's all that my laziness permits for today so what do you think about reform like that? It's hard to argue bit by bit, as the benefits scale down with the costs but like I've maintained I have Spanish as a good example of my end goal for an ideal balance. I think the biggest cost is to those who have already learned the system being replaced so I think incremental introduction to the changes helps mitigate a lot of the costs (as a lot of the costs based on change alone are one-time) and get a lot of the benefits (as the benefits are not one-time).

Note: the best argument (in my opinion) against this kind of proposal is the etymology and meaning argument against English spelling reform. For example, if the word "karaoke" were more phonetic it would not be very similar to the word in Romaji. Of course if the orthography were more phonetic maybe the word would have been imported and anglicized differently so there's still a lot to argue even within this point but I do concede that in some cases word origin would be compromised for phonetics and that can have the result of reducing the ability of the word to convey it's meaning.
Fountofwisdom

Tue 30 Dec, 2008 03:56 pm
English isn't taught in America anyway: their aberrant spelling should be corrected first.
0 Replies

Fountofwisdom

Tue 30 Dec, 2008 04:00 pm
I think one of the things that is ignored by traditionalists is new technology>>>>>>>as a pause that was just as valid.
Fighting to maintain the indefensible is stupid: I mean would like queue, thorough, biscuit etc are indefensible. Lets review and change them: tradition means nothing. There's no logic to it.
OmSigDAVID

Wed 31 Dec, 2008 03:33 am
@Fountofwisdom,
Fountofwisdom wrote:

I think one of the things that is ignored by traditionalists is new technology>>>>>>>as a pause that was just as valid.
Fighting to maintain the indefensible is stupid: I mean would like queue, thorough, biscuit etc are indefensible. Lets review and change them: tradition means nothing. There's no logic to it.

I have found liberals to be super ultra-conservative spellers.
Logic means nothing to them.

David
Fountofwisdom

Wed 31 Dec, 2008 04:17 am
Super ultra-conservative: surely the case being that super and ultra both being superlative prefixes means that one is redundant.
I spell correctly because it how I was taught: however I dont knock those who dont share my predjudices
Diest TKO

Wed 31 Dec, 2008 05:09 am
I like this phonetic character system. I think it could be adapted to ALL languages.

"The Interbet"
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/interbet.htm

T
K
O

0 Replies

JTT

Thu 1 Jan, 2009 11:41 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:

4) Future loan words and neologisms. I would want the loan words to stop being used as is and to be anglicized. English has a habit of just picking up the word as it is in the borrowed language and expecting English users to simply pick up that bit of the other language even if its orthography does not share much with English.

That happens mostly with the "snob" languages and the language snobs, Robert.

Quote:
Note: the best argument (in my opinion) against this kind of proposal is the etymology and meaning argument against English spelling reform. For example, if the word "karaoke" were more phonetic it would not be very similar to the word in Romaji.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. The word is identical to the Japanese Romaji spelling but the English version sounds not at all like the pronunciation in Japanese.

0 Replies

JTT

Fri 2 Jan, 2009 02:22 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

I have found liberals to be super ultra-conservative spellers.
Logic means nothing to them.

This has nothing to do with political persuasion, D. The logic you think you possess wrt to this issue is similar in nature to the logic you show on other issues, virtually non-existant.
OmSigDAVID

Fri 2 Jan, 2009 03:59 pm
@JTT,
U have fallen hopelessly into error,
like into a tar pit. Say hi to your sabre toothed friends.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Fri 2 Jan, 2009 04:12 pm
@Fountofwisdom,
Fountofwisdom wrote:

Super ultra-conservative: surely the case being that super and ultra both being superlative prefixes means that one is redundant.

It is a magnifier and an intensifier.

Quote:

I spell correctly because it how I was taught: however I dont knock those who dont share my predjudices

U spell in error,
because u accepted the advice of your teachers.
Thay poisoned your mind
(mine too; it took well over 50 years before I began to resist).

The orthografic assertions of your teachers
r eminently worthy of being rejected and overthrown.

Tradition must bow to sound reasoning and to efficiency.

David
JTT

Fri 2 Jan, 2009 07:42 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

You're right about this one particular aspect of language, David but you're off the mark on the spelling issue.

This is one area of language where prescription rules. Consider all the idiotic "rules" [prescriptions] of language that hung on for so long, still do among some, even though they were/are completely unnatural to language.

Writing is an artificial aspect of language and as such, it is much more prescriptive in nature. It is unrealistic to expect that a phonetic system will be adopted by such highly conservative individuals.

You don't really think that the spelling you use represents a logical response to spelling, do you? And you really can't think for a moment that it would fly in a legal brief.

Fountofwisdom

Sat 3 Jan, 2009 04:56 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Apologies. Can I point out that Spanish is a phonetic language. It helps people spell and read.
OmSigDAVID

Sat 3 Jan, 2009 04:30 pm
@Fountofwisdom,
Fountofwisdom wrote:

Apologies. Can I point out that Spanish is a phonetic language.
It helps people spell and read.

Thank u for pointing that out; I have argued against
the Spanish being allowed to keep a monopoly on sound reasoning.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Sat 3 Jan, 2009 05:08 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
You're right about this one particular aspect of language,
David but you're off the mark on the spelling issue.

This is one area of language where prescription rules.

Yes; until it has been defeated by enuf rejection,
in favor of logic. We need a paradigm (paradime) shift.
MY ANALOGY:
we r driving along in a car.
I point out that one of the tires is flat.
I am then berated from many directions for my apostasy
as it is pointed out that we have been driving on 3 good tires
for a long while n I shoud not make trouble; its a tradition.

I argue that its inefficient; thay argue: "SHADDUP, damn you.
THIS is how we do it, because this is how we 've done it for a long time."

I argue that we can save gasoline, if we stop dragging the axle
along the ground and fix it, whereupon thay call me an "IDIOT".

Quote:

Consider all the idiotic "rules" [prescriptions] of language that
hung on for so long, still do among some, even though they
were/are completely unnatural to language.

Writing is an artificial aspect of language and as such, it is much
more prescriptive in nature. It is unrealistic to expect that a
phonetic system will be adopted by such highly conservative individuals.

Man will tire of the unnecessary burden,
but we must point out the better way to do it.
Already, youth text messaging have abandoned atavistic throwbacks
in spelling. I predict that the youth will grow older and will proliferate.

Quote:

You don't really think that the spelling you use represents
a logical response to spelling, do you?

It demonstrates failures of logic in paradigmatic spelling.
I point out that it is an offense against sound reasoning
to put an L into woud, coud or shoud and that there is NO
logical reason to put the letters UGH after the word tho.

There is no logical reason to write the word enuf "enough".

Will we be loyal to competent reasoning or to irrational tradition?

Quote:
And you really can't think for a moment that it would fly in a legal brief.

A wise man PICKS his battles
and organizes them optimally, as to time n place.

David
JTT

Sat 3 Jan, 2009 07:27 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
No one is telling you to shut up, David. But do try to expend a little thought on the matter.

No, not just a knee jerk response.
OmSigDAVID

Sat 3 Jan, 2009 07:41 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

No one is telling you to shut up, David.
But do try to expend a little thought on the matter.

No, not just a knee jerk response.

Well, I guess u can JUDGE that,
as long as u have been observing the last 8 years
of threads on this matter here and on Abuzz;
maybe a few other fora.

ANYWAY, my side of the issue is doomed to success,
in that Man has begun tiring of carrying the useless wate
of atavistic, non-fonetic spelling that woud have fit in
just DANDY in the days of Chaucer.

Kids with their text messaging have done much more than I have
in exposing the wasteful futility of conventional spelling, but
its like a few little leaks having developed in the bottom of the dam.

(SURELY, of no consequence; just forget about it.)

David
0 Replies