For The First Time In My Adult Life I'm Not Voting

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 06:57 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
But, of course, in a democracy it's your decision & right to do what ever you want with your voting rights.

Does that mean Australia isn't a democracy?
msolga

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 11:04 pm
@joefromchicago,
Why no, it doesn't. I'm trying to see where I might have accidentally said that, Joe. Confused

<scratching head in Oz>
cjhsa

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 06:52 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

you boys must have never had any quality pussy....ever. Apologies to the ladies.
Palin looks like Zippy the pin head in that picture. in that 1965 hairdo and glasses.

In the looks department she's average. period. Which means she's better off in the looks department than the politician department.

At the inauguration I hear she plans to come out in thong bikini underwear and angel wings.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 07:59 am
@cjhsa,
sorry cj...unlike the miss moosehead beauty pageant, runners up don't walk at the inauguration
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 08:01 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
What do you suppose Obama and Biden be doing while the inauguration of McCain and Palin is taking place?
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 08:11 am
@H2O MAN,
probably negotiating their book deals and counting the money.....
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 08:19 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,

That works... they could co-author a book about loosing the election and cash in big time.

At least McCain's reduced taxes will allow them to keep more of what they earn from book sales.

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 08:19 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Why no, it doesn't. I'm trying to see where I might have accidentally said that, Joe. Confused

<scratching head in Oz>

Well, considering that Australia punishes you if you don't vote, I'm not sure if you could honestly say that you can do whatever you want with your voting rights in that country. And if that's a necessary attribute of a democracy, then Australia isn't a democracy.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 08:25 am
@H2O MAN,
our grandchildren will eventually pick up that financial slack of course.... but **** them, plasma tv's and water softeners are on sale at Wal Mart right?
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 08:27 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Palin looks like Zippy the pin head in that picture. in that 1965 hairdo and glasses.

http://www.alaskareport.com/images2/palin_sarah.jpghttp://www.readyourselfraw.com/recommended/rec_alanmoore/arcade/zippy.jpg

Hmmm...
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 08:28 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,

I guess that's exactly what Obama and Biden have in mind.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 12:17 pm
What 's the penalty
for refusing to vote in Austrailia ?
Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 01:25 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I lived there.
Voting is compulsory.
Another sort of democracy.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 05:18 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I am so WITH you - I so agree with you on this one.
What kind of crazy fool still believe they living in some 'lala land' kind of a democracy. We've got NO choices. I live in Florida so I got the FIRSTHAND knowing just what it's like talking to a guy from CNN and he's telling me "Do you realize that in ANY other nation in the world people would right now, be rioting, right at this moment be rioting in the streets over what was happening in the aftermath of the first Supreme Court's "one time decision??"
[ as IF that's a possibility- something either it IS or IS NOT constitutional ]
THAT decision put the world's biggest bigot,redneck, sh**head in office in the
history of all time. The fool couldn't even get it up to PRETEND at all to care enough to go to the site of THE SINGLE BIGGEST DISASTER to hit the US in God knows how long. Oh well, it's just New Ortleans, I guess in Texas that translates into Sodom & Gomorroh PLUS lots of black folks - yeah? And I guess that's just not worth interrupting a vacation,right? That mans fishing thank God, takes precedence over all - even if it IS the single, biggest, worst & most monumental national disaster in recent history.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 05:22 pm
@babsatamelia,
babsatamelia wrote:

...even if it IS the single, biggest, worst & most monumental national disaster in recent history.

Rolling Eyes History will be re-written this weekend as Ike destroys a large part of Texas... are you happy now?

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 05:29 pm
@joefromchicago,
Well, people have been known to deliberately vote informal, in a variety of ways! For example, you could add the candidate of your choice to the list - real or ridiculous - & vote for them. Or you could not fill in the little boxes at all before lodging your voting form. There are any number of ways that folk can subvert the compulsory voting system if that is their want ....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 05:30 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Not sure exactly, David. A fine, as best I recall.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 05:34 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
Re: OmSigDAVID(Post 3396693)
Not sure exactly, David. A fine, as best I recall.

If u refuse to pay the fine,
do thay throw u in jail, for refusing to vote ?

( I think that there thay spell it gaol.)
msolga

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 05:43 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
We can spell it either way. Very Happy

I'm not sure, David. I guess because it hasn't been an issue, all that much. There was the case of Albert Langer, in Melbourne, who publicly advocated not voting. Quite a while ago & I can't remember the details, but I do recall he found himself in a bit of strife! (I will check out the details when I'm feeling a bit more energetic - home with a rotten cold today.)

0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 07:25 pm
There's nothing wrong with going in and writing in Hillary Clinton, or Joe Biden for that matter. Anyone that tells you your vote doesn't count is full of ****. Voting for Obama, if you don't truly support him, is like lying to yourself.

I think that this is what I'll do in November. I've been flip-flopping between McCain and Obama for 6 weeks.....now I'm just going to write in Clinton.

And for those who say that I'm "hurting the cause" or whatever, blow me.