For The First Time In My Adult Life I'm Not Voting

firefly

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 03:13 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Quote:
.... I have, due to my absolute conviction that McCain and Mayor Moosehead would be a disaster....been straining to like and trust Obama. I can't. It's that simple. Anyone who thinks I'm wimping out or whatever....bon appetit.

If you are absolutely certain that McCain/Palin would be a disaster for the country, but are merely uncertain, or ambivalent, about Obama/Biden, you really do have a choice, albeit a very imperfect one. Because if you don't vote for Obama/Biden, you are helping to elect two people you believe will be terrible for our country. Our country is not in good shape now, and I'm not sure you should wimp out when you feel that one side is clearly worse than the other.

Voting for Obama may be crap shoot, but a crap shoot has better odds of success than a certain disaster. He has shown very impressive abilities of leadership in his primary race, and he has shown reasonable flexibility in his thinking. He is an extremely intelligent man who is likely to surround himself with very good advisors once in office. I'll put my faith and trust in that.

The president does not run things by himself, a great deal has to do with the people he surrounds himself with, as well as his willingness to listen to them. Obama does appear to be a good listener and a man of reasoned judgment. You already agree with his VP pick. McCain, judging by whom he picked as his running mate, has aleady told us he will pander to the most divisive elements in his own party, the people who most adore Bush and the mentality Bush represents. She was chosen on the basis of political expediency, not because she was the best choice to serve as VP, and she's blatantly unqualified to become president, if that were ever necessary. If the possibility of having Palin as president of the U.S. really frightens you, you should do what you can to prevent that from happening--which means you should vote. Bush told us a lot about what was coming when he put Dick Cheney on his ticket. McCain is also telling us something with Palin.

And you still have two months to make up your mind. I think the debates this year will be particularly helpful in separating the political rhetoric from the candidates' positions on specific issues. They have quite different views of how to solve the major problems facing the country. There are significant differences between them. You don't have to really like either of them, but it is crazy not to vote when you feel that one of them will definitely be a disaster. Should that one win, you will be kicking yourself the day after the election--and you will be stuck with him, and the consequences, for the next four years..
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 03:15 pm
No government consults citizens on how to use their taxes. And all governments take taxes, unless they are failed states. What they do or don't do with the taxes is, if only roughly, decided by who you vote for...if you are lucky enough to live in a democracy and be allowed to vote freely.

If the US government would have to consult the taxpayers, they would also have to consult me and millions of other non-citizens. And why stop there? The US government has direct impact on the lives of many people around the globe, whether they ask for it or not. Following this logic, the entire world should vote for the US President. Would be fine by me, but that is perhaps ever so slightly unrealistic.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 03:18 pm
@dagmaraka,
dagmaraka wrote:

Following this logic, the entire world should vote for the US President.

LOL !!

That's never going to happen!
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 03:53 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Jeez here we go.... keep it to myself or what? You gonna bust up in my house and harden my water or something?

That made me laugh out loud at work......which got a few stares.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 04:00 pm
@maporsche,
Laughing out loud is good medicine Mr. Green
maporsche

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 04:02 pm
@H2O MAN,
It was nothing personal....but pretty funny.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 04:18 pm
@dagmaraka,
Oh give me a break. Stupid UN worldview spells the end of US.

Buy guns and ammo. Stock up in case The Chosen One gets elected.
cjhsa

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 04:21 pm
@Green Witch,
I want it taught in school that witches are funking weird. You don't want to grow up to be one.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 04:45 pm
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

I HAVE been doing that, but not for Obama; Bush's policies made me decide to buy my first gun, and everyone thereafter.
Wy

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 04:52 pm
@H2O MAN,
I looked up "fascist" and found this:

Quote:
a political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition

Is that what you think of Democrats? You think Obama wants to be a dictator? Regimment our free society? Forcibly suppress you and those who belive as you do?

I can't see it. Please enlighten me to specifics that lead you to believe these things, or tell me how, in this instance, you are defining fascism.

Thank you.
Wy

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 04:57 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Will ya please go, Bear, and vote on local issues? They're on the same ticket, and you can make a difference on the local level.

Just because you're not interested in voting for the Clown-Of-The-Day doesn't mean you can't go help locate the new sewer plant farther away from your house.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 05:24 pm
@Wy,
Wy wrote:

Will ya please go, Bear, and vote on local issues? They're on the same ticket, and you can make a difference on the local level.

Just because you're not interested in voting for the Clown-Of-The-Day doesn't mean you can't go help locate the new sewer plant farther away from your house.

+1

I support that effort.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 05:25 pm
@Wy,
Wy wrote:

I looked up "fascist" and found this:

Quote:
a political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition

Is that what you think of Democrats? You think Obama wants to be a dictator? Regimment our free society? Forcibly suppress you and those who belive as you do?

I can't see it. Please enlighten me to specifics that lead you to believe these things, or tell me how, in this instance, you are defining fascism.

Thank you.

Yes. Obama is all about Fascisti and his presidency will doom this republic.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 05:27 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

cjhsa wrote:

I HAVE been doing that, but not for Obama; Bush's policies made me decide to buy my first gun, and everyone thereafter.

Congratulations!, you are on the right track no matter who or what motivated you.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 05:46 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Quote:
there's just no way to avoid being called a whiner or a sulker on these threads anymore is there? How about" I disagree strongly with you" and let it go at that?

I disagree strongly with you.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 05:49 pm
@kickycan,
Hey, Kicky.

There are other ways, but...

I'm voting AGAINST The old Guy and the Hocker mom, and it looks like Obama is the best way to make that happen.

Biden makes me feel a bit better about it.
kickycan

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 05:53 pm
@Rockhead,
I'm voting for Obama, but my penis is voting for Mayor Mooseknuckle.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 05:54 pm
@Rockhead,
LOL !!

The old war hero guy and the Hockey mom are going to kick Obama's and Biden's butts in November!
ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 05:58 pm
@kickycan,
It may be wording. I'm not sure Bear's threads are any more whining than anyone else's, but they seem to slot into that mode. Which may be a matter of word placement or word tone. I often agree with him on one matter or another but the whine affect annoys me. But maybe I have an ear for whine. I can imagine tone from my posts being annoying too, yet I persist. You, kick, haven't annoyed me yet, but let's see if you can work up to that.

Adding, on Bear, I'm trying to figure it out, the whine bit. Not being cute, trying to figure it out.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 05:59 pm
@H2O MAN,
That's a ways away yet, be careful you don't wear out your pom poms...