McCain and Palin: The Pretenders are Unfit to Lead

Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 05:02 pm
@Debra Law,
McCain and Palin: The Pretenders are Unfit to Lead

Don't expect much from the consumers.( imean the couch potatoes)
There are some cultured, critical citizenw( minority).
the world is with those minority americans

I repeat once again.
Any voter who misuse his intellectual faculties(
after this 8 years of barbaric (crminal) is a subscriber of criminality..
The world is fed up with your export articleDEMOCRACY.
Heal the world by putting a fresh face, so that we- the non-americans but humans can shake our hads.
Rama

Debra Law

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 05:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
CI wrote: "If he's running on his own drum beat, it's funny that McCain voted 95% with Bush. What makes a "maverick?" Somebody who voted 5% independent of his leader?"

McCain--PERSONALLY--in his own words places himself in agreement with Bush far more than his Republican colleagues and, with respect to the important issues of the day, totally in agreement with Bush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4DrL8-UA4U

McCain's proposals for change aren't change at all--they are the same old failed policies of the Bush Administration (and the Reagan Adminstration, i.e., trickle down economics).
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 05:30 pm
@Debra Law,
It's not even "trickle down" any more; the middle class and the poor have lost buying power while the wealthiest have gained in both salaries, bonus, and stock options during Bush's rein. Where's the trickle down? Millions are now losing their jobs and homes. If that's trickle down, I'm not sure what "trickle up" is all about.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 05:58 pm
@Ramafuchs,
Ramafuchs:

I agree that many "consumers" of political propandga won't get up from the couch to do a little fact checking to see if anything they're being fed is true. The last eight years under the Bush Administration has been demoralizing in more ways than one. We've lost a great deal of our credibility in the world when President Bush played the part of "maverick," parted ways with the United Nations, and took it upon himself and our military might to rid the world of Saddam Hussein. Using false fear-mongering propaganda about WMDs, President Bush sacrificed our credibility and thousands of lives. And--he laughs about it--he thinks its a big joke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9EbssUgHj4

As Obama said in his DNC speech: ENOUGH

It's time for Americans to wake up, get off the couch, take back our country, and place a leader at the helm who won't squander our credibility, our lives, and our children's futures. The PRETENDER McCain is running for office, but the REAL McCain will take the job if elected. The REAL McCain isn't the "leader" this country needs or wants.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 06:01 pm
@Debra Law,
It's not only political propaganda, it's the perception of the American voters. Here's some bad news:

Poll: Convention lifts McCain over Obama
Posted 28m ago

By Susan Page, USA TODAY
WASHINGTON " The Republican National Convention has given John McCain and his party a significant boost, a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll taken over the weekend shows, as running mate Sarah Palin helps close an "enthusiasm gap" that has dogged the GOP all year.

McCain leads Democrat Barack Obama by 50%-46% among registered voters, the Republican's biggest advantage since January and a turnaround from the USA TODAY poll taken just before the convention opened in St. Paul. Then, he lagged by 7 percentage points.

The convention bounce has helped not only McCain but also attitudes toward Republican congressional candidates and the GOP in general.

"The Republicans had a very successful convention and, at least initially, the selection of Sarah Palin has made a big difference," says political scientist Larry Sabato of the University of Virginia. "He's in a far better position than his people imagined he would be in at this point."

However, in an analysis of the impact of political conventions since 1960, Sabato concluded that post-convention polls signal the election's outcome only about half the time. "You could flip a coin and be about as predictive," he says. "It is really surprising how quickly convention memories fade."
georgeob1

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 06:12 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I don't personally care about escalating the war in Afghanistan, and think that Obama uses that as a campaign platform mostly to try to illustrate that he's not the kind of dove who rejects all militarism, but if one believes that one war was strategically and morally right while the other strategically and morally wrong I don't see the glaring logical inconsistency that you seem to.

Well, I didn't present the inconsistency as "glaring", only interesting.

I think your guess about Obama's likely motives is probably correct. However, that opinion (and those motives) on the part of one like Obama, who has no experience of war, strikes me as a good deal more unsettling than does the picture you presented of someone like McCain, who has that experience in spades, and who might dread the prospect of losing a war.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 06:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The culture-war surge in the U.S. election campaign has come at the expense of meaningful debate about the real wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. That's dangerous because they stand at critical junctures.

We've had Sarah Palin at the Republican National Convention bringing foreign policy debate to a new low with her attempt to mock Barack Obama's approach to international terrorists: "He's worried that someone won't read them their rights."

I'm sorry, Ms. Palin, but out there in Alaska, between moose shoots, did you hear about Bagram, Abu Ghraib, renditions, waterboarding, Guantánamo and the rest?

John McCain knows what happens when those rights disappear. He described his Vietnamese nightmare the next night: "They worked me over harder than they ever had before. For a long time. And they broke me."
Two intractable wars should preclude the culture war McCain has just so shamelessly embraced. He loves the word "fight." So fight on the issues - and let the people decide.http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/09/07/opinion/edcohen.php?page=2
georgeob1

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 06:23 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:

How many people over the years, including McCain's own wife, his press secretary, and members of Congress, have to report about McCain's hair trigger temper and outbursts before you get a clue? How many people does Sarah Palin have to fire in the wake of scandal or place gag orders on before you get a clue? Palin's own mother-in-law won't endorse her, for crying out loud. And when Palin's sharp barracuda or pit bull teeth turn on your old friend, McCain--only a fool could say that they didn't see that coming.

I know of some perfectly nice folks who don't like me, very likely that is true of you as well.

There are many qualities that one could find more offensive than a short temper. Perhaps I should try to develop a case suggesting that Barack Obama is afflicted with narcoplexy, given his long history of sleeping through Jeremiah Wright's vitriolic sermons, decrying this country. Alternatively, I suppose one could call him a chronic liar. given the unbelievability of his expressed rationalizations on the issue. The truth is this stuff doesn't matter very much, though it certainly does to you - at least on issues that suit your political prejudices.
Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 06:41 pm
@georgeob1,
There are many qualities that one could find more offensive than a short temper. Perhaps I should try to develop a case suggesting that Barack Obama is afflicted with . Alternatively, I suppose one could call him a chronic liar. given the unbelievability of his expressed rationalizations on the issue. The truth is this stuff doesn't matter very much, though it certainly does to you - at least on issues that suit your political prejudices.
as a business executive you are expected to use the apt word to sell your political( non-prejudicial) words.
mind you that i am a critical observer about your country#s behaviour.

What hurt my heart is this
"
narcoplexy, given his long history of sleeping through Jeremiah Wright's vitriolic sermons, decrying this country"
would you have some consideration to sooth my feelings.
( your country#s system is rotten to the core)
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 08:52 pm
@Debra Law,
So we are to believe that there is not a single individual in the world who "knows" Obama or Biden and would warn us from supporting them?

So we are to believe that those who claim to "know" a candidate and reject them are more trustworthy than the many more who believe they"know" them to be righteous individuals?

The extent to which opponents of the candidates will go to attempt to persuade the rest of us to their thinking is incredible.

Rubbish Debra Law --- pure and simple.
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 08:58 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:

I read two articles written by people who personally know the candidates :

Now if only we could find people who personally know the people that claim to personally know the candidates. That would be a story right there...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 09:04 pm
I 'm pretty sure that when we vote, we do so on the basis of political ideology;
i.e., what policies we expect the candidates to carry out after election.
That 's certainly what I do. Its seldom personal.
I don t see a political election as being a personal popularity contest.

Political parties are like labels, indicative of the point of vu, contained within.

David
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 09:13 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
How you can speak of righteous when you see McCain's lies, his flip flops, his pandering, his two-facedness all around you is truly beyond the pale, Finn.

The depth of delusion which proponents of McCain will go to to persuade themselves of his suitability is what is truly incredible.

Everything that was said of Kerry, McCain illustrates ten-fold but for folks like you, this type of cognitive dissonance is just everyday stuff. Just a little shake of the head and poof, his lies are gone.

Of course, you've had eight years of practice.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 09:19 pm
All I care about is continuing a strong national defense
and expanding my personal freedom, the cornerstone of which is rejection of collectivism
and rejection of the false notion that government has ever had jurisdiction
to inflict control of possession of guns upon us.

David
JTT

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 09:31 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Your personal selfishness has been duly noted.
JTT

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 09:52 pm
Guess what the banner says at the McCain-Palin website.

Country First
Reform - Prosperity - Peace

I kid you not.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 10:55 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Re: OmSigDAVID (Post 3393360)
Your personal selfishness has been duly noted.

Thank u.
It feels good to be known n understood.

David
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 06:12 am
I think it shows the short sightedness of people to dismiss McCain's well known temper (notwithstanding George's statements with claims of knowing the man--hint anonymous internet forums are not best place to make such claims as some kind of evidence of something) in regards to how it would play out with being a president of the united states. Suppose he gets ticked off at other national heads of states/leaders when dealing international issues which come up? Having a short trigger on his temper would not leave him with a clear head to deal with those issues and might well make some matters worse in negotiations with other leaders. Seems obvious to me why it would important.

The more we dig up about Palin the more questions are raised about her suitablity for vice president. Apparently she has the republican habit of either firing or attempting to fire people who disagree with her or does not do as she ask.

Quote:
WASILLA -- Back in 1996, when she first became mayor, Sarah Palin asked the city librarian if she would be all right with censoring library books should she be asked to do so.

According to news coverage at the time, the librarian said she would definitely not be all right with it. A few months later, the librarian, Mary Ellen Emmons, got a letter from Palin telling her she was going to be fired. The censorship issue was not mentioned as a reason for the firing. The letter just said the new mayor felt Emmons didn't fully support her and had to go.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/100/story/51821.html

(more at the above link)

Like I said I can definitely see why she would be attractive to modern day republicans as she employs all the same tactics and agendas as Bush and all the rest do.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 08:38 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Too bad not many conservatives will see these truths about McCain's heroism, and Palin's leadership style as a mayor and governor.

McCain spent a good part of his acceptance speech talking about himself and his POW status as if he was THE only one who suffered torture. The facts are that many suffered more than two years that McCain suffered, but he failed to mention that simple fact in his speech. He also graduated fifth from the bottom of his class of 800 midshipmen - and many believe he graduated only because his father and grandfather graduated there, and his father was an admiral.

What's to admire about a man who self-promotes himself as a hero of Vietnam when there were many who did the same?

Your assertions are FALSE.
He DID say what u claim that he did not say.

David
Debra Law

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 11:01 am
@cicerone imposter,
CI wrote: "It's not only political propaganda, it's the perception of the American voters. Here's some bad news: Poll: Convention lifts McCain over Obama...."

Without any doubt, McCain choose Palin precisely to invigorate the extremists who have a strangle-hold on the Republican party. He is pandering to the extremists and pretending to be something he's not to the moderates and independents. Hopefully, once the honeymoon with the PRETENDER Palin wanes, the moderates and independents will take a closer look at the PRETENDER McCain and withhold their support at the voting booth.