Apparently his lawyer disagrees.

Letter from palins lawyer.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 09:34 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Apparently his lawyer disagrees.

Letter from palins lawyer.

Yeah, it's his job to issue letters like that. But it's false and plain on it's face that the 'objections' do not hold water. The Legislature in AK, just like our national one, has plenary investigative power. It is an oversight body of the executive branch. It's false to claim that they don't have the authority to investigate the AG's office; they have the authority to investigate whatever they decide they want to.

It's just a delay tactic, as you know...

I also note, with no small amount if irony, that the very Republican party who constantly complains about lawyers, maligns them, and calls them agents of the Dem party, turns to them in a flash - when it suits their purposes.

Cycloptichorn
McGentrix

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 09:35 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I'm going to go on a limb and go ahead and think his lawyer knows more about the situation then you or your sources from KOS.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 09:38 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

I'm going to go on a limb and go ahead and think his lawyer knows more about the situation then you or your sources from KOS.

Lol, go right ahead. I wonder if they know more then the lawyers at my law school who agree that the claims are specious. I doubt it. It's common to throw up each and every 'objection' that you can find, regardless of whether they are true or not.

And what more, the objections truly do not matter. It is immaterial if the client of the lawyer objects, for whatever reason. Without getting an injunction or some similar ruling from a judge, the 'objections' of the client carry no weight whatsoever in the eyes of the law. Todd Palin is legally required to show up. If he can get a ruling body to say that he's not, great; but that hasn't happened yet, and he is STILL in violation of the law. Surely you understand this elementary point of our legal systme?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 09:45 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Todd Palin is "involved," because he attended many "government" meetings with his wife, the gov. That's evidence in anyone's eyes except the conservatives who would excuse the breaking of state and federal laws.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 09:52 am
McG, here's Palin from the Hannity interview -

Quote:

Palin told Hannity: "This trooper tasered my nephew...that was...it's all on the record. It's all there. His threats against the first family, the threat against my dad. All that is in the record. And if the opposition researchers chooses to forget that side of the story, they're not doing their job."

If she fired the guy for something having nothing to do with the ex-bro in law - and she doesn't have a vendetta against him - why go on about it? It should be immaterial to the whole thing.

Sounds to me as if she is holding a grudge...

Cycloptichorn
Debra Law

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 10:28 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote: "Harassment of reporters? What is going on with the McCain campaign?"

This is nothing new. McCain cannot stand criticism or scrutiny of any kind. McCain, through his grudging, vengeful, and tempermental ways, has always manipulated and penalized the "free" press. His history of doing so spans his entire political career. This was amply documented in the CNN report, "McCain Revealed." This was also recently demonstrated by McCain when he canceled a scheduled appearance on the Larry King show to punish CNN because he didn't like the probing questions asked of his spokesperson, Tucker Bounds. If elected, the First Amendment will suffer. McCain will place a gag on the free press and control the flow of information. He is unfit to lead.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 10:36 am
@Debra Law,
Well, it's funny how McCain keeps pushing his rhetoric about the "straight talk express," but his actions belies his rhetoric. We've had enough of Bush's secretive government that tells lies with the hopes they can get away with it.

More of the same is really masochistic.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 12:27 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Palin told Hannity: "This trooper tasered my nephew...that was...it's all on the record. It's all there. His threats against the first family, the threat against my dad. All that is in the record. And if the opposition researchers chooses to forget that side of the story, they're not doing their job."

Why does Palin think she can continue to lie and get away with it? Wooten did not make threats against the "first family" for crying out loud. She alleges, when her sister and Wooten were married, her sister called her on a "speaker phone." She says she overheard a fight, via speaker phone, between her sister and brother-in-law during which he allegedly threatened her father's life.

At the time, she was not concerned about the alleged threat. Palin thought it was amusing that her sister's marriage was in trouble. She drove over to her sister's house and spied through a window and eavesdropped on their fight. Her sister was accusing her husband of being unfaithful. Palin thought it was humorous and then went to a meeting. She did not call the police or anyone else to report an alleged death threat. She made it up in order to vilify her brother-in-law during the course of her sister's messy divorce--made messy in large part by Palin's false and exaggerated allegations.

Palin is a ridiculous, vengeful sociopath who absolutely cannot be trusted to wield power over other people and their lives. Her history demonstrates that she will repeatedly abuse her power.
sozobe

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 12:30 pm
@Debra Law,
Any cites, Debra?
Debra Law

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 12:59 pm
@sozobe,
I have the cites bookmarked on my computer at home--I'm using my husband's computer at our store right now. It shouldn't take me long to find one of my sources....don't go away.
spendius

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 01:44 pm
@Debra Law,
Physiognomy plus experience.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 02:18 pm
Check this out:
Long-Standing Feud in Alaska Embroils Palin
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/30/AR2008083002366.html?hpid=topnews

Some excerpts:

Quote:
Interviews with principals involved in the dispute and a review of court documents and police internal affairs reports reveal that Palin has been deeply involved in alerting state officials to her family's personal turmoil.

The trouble between Wooten and the governor's sister broke into the open after an alleged incident in February 2005. Palin told an internal affairs investigator that she overheard on a speakerphone Wooten arguing with her sister and threatening to kill their father. Fearful for her family members' lives, Palin said she drove to her sister's house and watched the argument through a window. . . .

. . . the alleged argument occurred after Palin's sister, who uses her previous married name of Molly McCann, questioned Wooten about her husband attending a trooper-sponsored event in January with another woman. . . .

She [PALIN] said she left for a meeting without calling police.

The article reports that the alleged death threat to Palin's father took place in February 2005 and that Palin's sister filed for divorce in April 2005. The very day the divorce action was filed was the day that Palin's sister and Palin's father called the state police to make allegations concerning the argument that took place in February. What may we reasonably infer from that?

Palin was interviewed about the alleged incident a month after her sister filed for divorce. Palin claimed that she allegedly overheard the alleged threat on speaker phone. Allegedly fearful for people's LIVES, she drove over to her sister's house and peeped through a window and eavesdropped on the fight.

What reasonable inferences can we draw from that? If any reasonable person truly overheard frightening death threats and was truly in fear for other people's lives, what would he/she do? A) Make a frantic call to 911; or B) go on a window peeping excursion?

Concerning the window peeping, Palin told the interviewer that she thought her brother-in-law was "gonna blow it." But, instead of taking any action to protect her family, she left to attend a meeting and didn't bother to call the police. Accordingly, how credible are her allegations? What reasonable inferences can we make? Was she really window peeping and eavesdropping because she was in fear for LIVES or because she wanted to hear the juicy details about the alleged affair? If she really thought her brother-in-law was going to snap and go on a killing spree, why did she just walk away? From the circumstances as a whole, we may reasonably infer that window-peeping Palin thought the whole thing was hilarious and then went off to her meeting.

In AUGUST 2005 (six months AFTER the February window peeping incident), and during the course of a messy divorce between Palin's sister and brother-in-law, Palin sent an angry, three-page e-mail to Col. Julia Grimes, head of the state police in an attempt to get her brother-in-law fired. Here's what she reported in that firey, accusation-laden email:

Quote:
"Wooten's words were, 'I will kill him. He'll eat a [expletive] lead bullet, I'll shoot him,' if our father got the attorney to help Molly," Palin said in an e-mail she wrote in August 2005 to the chief of the state police. "I heard this death threat, my 16-year-old son heard it (Track Palin), Molly heard it, as did their small children. Wooten spoke with his Trooper gun on his hip in an extremely intimidating fashion, leaving no doubt he is serious about taking someone's life who disagrees with him."

. . .""My concern is that the public's faith in the Troopers will continue to diminish as more residents express concerns regarding the apparent lack of action towards a Trooper whom is described by many as 'a ticking time bomb' and a 'loose cannon.' "

Palin noted, "Wooten is my brother-in-law, but this information is forwarded to you objectively," and asked Grimes to treat the information objectively.

Keeping Wooten on the police force, Palin wrote, "would lead a rational person to believe there is a problem inside the organization."

OBJECTIVE? That's bullshit. If Palin truly believed in February 2005 that there was NO DOUBT that Wooten would take someone's life . . . she would have called the police THEN. But, she didn't. She nonchalantly walked away from that window--away from the frightening horror of what she allegedly overheard and saw--and went a meeting. Why did she do that? Because what she is alleging NEVER HAPPENED. We may reasonably believe that she is making it up to destroy her brother-in-law. She's vindictive and she's a liar.

spendius

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 02:25 pm
@Debra Law,
Come on Debra. It goes with the territory. As I said, you just see it. No evidence required. The FBI's Most Wanted man always looks like he deserves to be.

Show me a woman who looks like that who is not a vindictive liar when backed into a corner. That is an assumption the whole court will embrace in a messy divorce case.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 03:19 pm
Interesting op-ed about congress...

http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=13913

Quote:
The most fascinating political development of the summer has occurred with little notice. Republicans are respected again. Wait, what?

Believe it or not, entering the final quarter of the eighth year of the George W. Bush presidency, Republicans are ascending in popularity, Politico.com reported yesterday. Half of registered voters and half of independent voters have a favorable opinion of the GOP, according to a new poll from the Pew Center for the People and the Press. Democrats hold a slight edge in favorability among registered voters (55 percent to 50 percent), but they are statistically tied with Republicans among independent voters (Republicans 50 percent, Democrats 49 percent.)

(snip)

Quote:
I think the answer is pretty clear: The Democratic leadership in Congress took the golden opportunity it was given in 2006 and pissed it away on petty partisanship -- just like the Republicans who preceded them did.

I think the writer is correct in his opinion.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 03:40 pm
The Obama camp has been caught in an outright lie.
I wonder how they will spin this.

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/scaring_seniors.html

Quote:
A new Obama ad characterizes the "Bush-McCain privatization plan" as "cutting Social Security Benefits in half." This is a falsehood sure to frighten seniors who rely on their Social Security checks. In truth, McCain does not propose to cut those checks at all.

I will be curious to see how the Obama camp explains this outright lie.
Foxfyre

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 03:45 pm
@mysteryman,
Who's going to call them on it? The mainstream media? I wouldn't hold my breath.
Debra Law

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 03:46 pm
Also in Palin's August, 2005, angry 3-page email to Wooten's boss, Palin accused Wooten of illegally shooting a moose cow. How did she know this? Because Wooten used Palin's sister's (his wife's) permit; Palin's father joined him on the hunting trip; her father butchered the moose; and she and her family cooked and ate the meat. LOL
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 04:18 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Who's going to call them on it? The mainstream media? I wouldn't hold my breath.

Well, I don't think it was a very accurate commercial and Obama should probably not have ran it. I also think that his Spanish-language commercial with Limbaugh is deceptive as well - though politically very, very effective, as to counter the claims of the ad, McCain has to discuss his actual position on immigration, something he' s desperately tried to stay away from.

As for the 'McCain is campaigning on privatizing SS' part; that's completely accurate and Factcheck is wrong. They state:

Quote:

The ad also says McCain voted "in favor of privatizing Social Security." The term "privatizing" could give the wrong impression. McCain does support creating government-managed accounts that would allow individuals to invest some portion of their Social Security payroll taxes in widely diversified stock or bond funds.

That's privatization. McCain traveled around the country with Bush to sell this exact same plan in 2005. They called it 'private accounts' back then, but it's the same thing now. And it's officially part of the 2008 Republican platform. It's entirely honest to say that he is running on the privatization of SS, but not that he plans to cut senior's benefits.

Cycloptichorn
spendius

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 05:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
He would never admit to planning to cut senior's benefits. His ratings would plummet.
0 Replies