FINAL COUNTDOWN FOR USA ELECTION 2008

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 08:28 pm
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/9/15/202418/287/61/599987

Republican Ex-Governor of VA, Linwood Holton, to endorse Barack Obama and stump for him in VA.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 09:03 pm
@JamesMorrison,
There have been signs of a growing economic crisis for sometime both within the US economy and in the increasingly integrated world markets. For some explosive grown rates are due for a correction. The demand for petrochemicals has fueled competition for insuring adequate supplies. The economic equation has been shifting for sometime, and that in turn has set off some justifiable anxieties. In these times there have been more than ample opportunities for greedy speculation, and some have profited hugely.

Domestically, I suppose the harbinger was the collapse of sub-prime mortgage lenders who extended vast amounts of credit without adequate security to borrowers whose ability to pay was doubtful at best. Greed. A domino toppling over that took with it larger and more reputable firms that should have known better. As confidence has waned, we have been seeing more bank failures than anytime since FDIC was instituted to protect deposits. The credit burden has overshadowed savings for a long time, and now the chickens are coming home to roost.

I don't see this crisis as the result of any particular failure of the Federal government, nor is either Party clearly and solely responsible for it. It is true that Congress has sat on its hands, but that's what Congress does. There is nothing that I particularly see that the Executive Branch has done to cause the current economic problems. Greedy individuals acting through lending and investing institutions have taken on big credit and big risks.

Philosophically I'm against the Federal government bailing out and rescuing folks from the consequences of their own miscalculations, and greed. But, as a practical matter when the economy at large is threatened with major disruption, only the Federal government has a chance of preventing melt-down. In 1929, the government failed to shore up the economy when the investment bubble burst and panic led to a loss of widespread public confidence in our public institutions. I don't believe that the current economic crisis is as threatening as the collapse in 1929, but 1929 should remain a cautionary tale for us all.

Though the problems didn't originate in Washington, nor is either Party specifically to blame for it, this will be increasingly a "hot" item in the current election campaign. Like you, I expect that the Democrats will try to blame the President and the GOP for the economic problems that are likely to extend well into next year, at least. I had hoped to see improvements in the real estate markets, but now believe major improvements will be slower in coming.

I don't know how successful Obama will be in casting McCain and the GOP as the villains in this melodrama. I'm certain they will try to turn this into a poisoned dart for the GOP, but their own skirts are no cleaner. Still, it is likly to be a potent weapon that could reverse the trends toward the McCain-Palin ticket.

BTW just to set the record straight, I don't believe the American voters invariably make the right choice when electing their representatives. They almost certainly don't, but whatever their choice it is the one that we have to abide by until events and a new campaigning season can set things right. Hey, the American People voted for Prohibition thinking that it would end the evils associated with alcohol. We've increasingly bought into the idea that the Federal government is responsible for everything, and that no one should be held responsible for their own lousy choices. The People often make crummy choices, but that is better than having the choices made by idealists operating from theories far removed from the daily lives and aspirations of the people.
Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 10:43 pm
@Asherman,
Like you, I expect that the Democrats will try to blame the President and the "GOP for the economic problems that are likely to extend well into next year, at least"

this sentense provoked me to interlude in your intellectual discourse with others.
How about making a philosophical/rational comment or critical remark about Bush and his banal republican party sir?
The world is not blind to uphold Obama but unted to cast aspersions against USA if they repeat the same mistake byelecting the grand old warrior with ahistory-well known . let him die in one of his innumerable villas.
And let the decent mother#s and sisters sleep peacefully.
Ramafuchs
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 11:09 pm
Quote:
The Ugly New McCain
By Richard Cohen

Wednesday, September 17, 2008; Page

Following his loss to George W. Bush in the 2000 South Carolina primary, John McCain did something extraordinary: He confessed to lying about how he felt about the Confederate battle flag, which he actually abhorred. "I broke my promise to always tell the truth," McCain said. Now he has broken that promise so completely that the John McCain of old is unrecognizable. He has become the sort of politician he once despised.

The precise moment of McCain's abasement came, would you believe, not at some news conference or on one of the Sunday shows but on "The View," the daytime TV show created by Barbara Walters. Last week, one of the co-hosts, Joy Behar, took McCain to task for some of the ads his campaign has been running. One deliberately mischaracterized what Barack Obama had said about putting lipstick on a pig -- an Americanism that McCain himself has used. The other asserted that Obama supported teaching sex education to kindergarteners.

"We know that those two ads are untrue," Behar said. "They are lies."

Freeze. Close in on McCain. This was the moment. He has largely been avoiding the press. The Straight Talk Express is now just a brand, an ad slogan like "Home Cooking" or "We Will Not Be Undersold." Until then, it was possible for McCain to say that he had not really known about the ads, that the formulation "I approve this message" was just boilerplate. But he didn't.
ad_icon

"Actually, they are not lies," he said.

Actually, they are.

McCain has turned ugly. His dishonesty would be unacceptable in any politician, but McCain has always set his own bar higher than most. He has contempt for most of his colleagues for that very reason: They lie. He tells the truth. He internalizes the code of the McCains -- his grandfather, his father: both admirals of the shining sea. He serves his country differently, that's all -- but just as honorably. No more, though.

I am one of the journalists accused over the years of being in the tank for McCain. Guilty. Those doing the accusing usually attributed my feelings to McCain being accessible. This is the journalist-as-puppy school of thought: Give us a treat, and we will leap into a politician's lap.

Not so. What impressed me most about McCain was the effect he had on his audiences, particularly young people. When he talked about service to a cause greater than oneself, he struck a chord. He expressed his message in words, but he packaged it in the McCain story -- that man, beaten to a pulp, who chose honor over freedom. This had nothing to do with access. It had to do with integrity.

McCain has soiled all that. His opportunistic and irresponsible choice of Sarah Palin as his political heir -- the person in whose hands he would leave the country -- is a form of personal treason, a betrayal of all he once stood for. Palin, no matter what her other attributes, is shockingly unprepared to become president. McCain knows that. He means to win, which is all right; he means to win at all costs, which is not.

At a forum last week at Columbia University, McCain said, "But right now we have to restore trust and confidence in government." This was always the promise of John McCain, the single best reason to vote for him. America has been cheated on too many times -- the lies of Vietnam and Watergate and Iraq. So many lies. Who believes that in Afghanistan last month, only five civilians were killed by the American military in an airstrike, instead of the approximately 90 claimed by the Afghan government? Not me. I first gave up on the military during Vietnam and then again when it covered up the death of Pat Tillman, the Army Ranger and former NFL player who was killed in 2004 by friendly fire.

McCain was going to fix all that. He was going to look the American people in the eyes and say, not me. I will not lie to you. I am John McCain, son and grandson of admirals. I tell the truth.

But Joy Behar knew better. And so McCain lied about his lying and maybe thinks that if he wins the election, he can -- as he did in South Carolina -- renounce who he was and what he did and resume his old persona. It won't work. Karl Marx got one thing right -- what he said about history repeating itself. Once is tragedy, a second time is farce. John McCain is both.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/15/AR2008091502406.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

How many members of the media is McCain going to lose? Like it or not, articles like these are not good news for his campaign.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 11:32 pm
The mainstream media can't fall over itself fast enough to put as as many columns and commentaries as it can crowd into the newspapers and magazines or stuff into available airtime to condemn John McCain as a liar. That is the tactic today and the media surrogates are dutifully marching in lockstep to get the task done.

The same media seems to be totally disinterested in any fabrications coming from the other side, however.

With 69% of the public convinced that the media is hawking for their own prefererred candidate, however, and four out of five of those believing that the leftwing media's preferred candidate is Barack Obama, we can hope that the wisdom of the American public sees through this latest scheme too.
(statistics from Rasmussen.com)
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 03:43 am
ABC is still covering for Obama.
They did a serious edit of Sarah Palins remarks, to make it look like she favored war with Russia (she doesnt).

Now ABC claims to know what Obama thinks...

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/Story?id=5803765&page=1

This is Obama's statement...
Quote:
"If we're going to ask questions about, you know, who has been promulgating negative ads that are completely unrelated to the issues at hand, I think I win that contest pretty handily," Obama said.

And this is what ABC said about it...

Quote:
What Obama apparently meant was that McCain, not Obama, has put out more negative ads.

So, how does ABC know what Obama meant?
How do they know that he didnt mean exactly what he said?
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 08:32 am
@mysteryman,
Oh the bias is so blatant it should embarrass all the MSM, but apparently once they sold their souls to partisanship, they have no shame.

The latest barrage of intentional negativity leveled at McCain may have had a minimal effect on the polls, but he's hanging in there and is a bit ahead, though statistically insignificant, in most of them. His approval rating does not appear to have slipped any, however, so I'm trusting the American people to see this for what it is and not be fooled.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 08:35 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

ABC is still covering for Obama.
They did a serious edit of Sarah Palins remarks, to make it look like she favored war with Russia (she doesnt).

Now ABC claims to know what Obama thinks...

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/Story?id=5803765&page=1

This is Obama's statement...
Quote:
"If we're going to ask questions about, you know, who has been promulgating negative ads that are completely unrelated to the issues at hand, I think I win that contest pretty handily," Obama said.

And this is what ABC said about it...

Quote:
What Obama apparently meant was that McCain, not Obama, has put out more negative ads.

So, how does ABC know what Obama meant?
How do they know that he didnt mean exactly what he said?

Isn't is blatantly obvious? Nobody would be proud of having put out more negative ads. It's like golf; you win with a lower score, not a higher one.

You guys are getting a little desperate, seriously.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 08:37 am
Us desperate? We're ahead for now. Being ahead doesn't make for a lot of desperation. Smile

Result of this week's limited straw poll - one in favor of McCain, one in favor of Obama, everybody else voting too close to call. I put the leaners in the too close to call group. (I am in the latter group.)
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 08:40 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Us desperate? We're ahead.

Result of this week's limited straw poll - one in favor of McCain, one in favor of Obama, everybody else voting too close to call. (I am in the latter group.)

Ahead? In what?

It's plainly obvious that whatever bounce McCain had out of the convention has faded somewhat. Obama still leads in state polling and he has caught up to the MoE in the tracking polls as well. The current media narrative is not favorable to McCain and neither is the financial crisis we are facing. I don't think you're 'ahead' in anything right now. And yes, you are desperate.

The fact that Palin is now ducking the probe she promised to cooperate with? And that the news of such was announced by the McCain campaign? That doesn't look good either. I don't really care what your opinion of her is, it never looks good for politicians to refuse to cooperate with those investigating them. It makes you look guilty, whether you actually did anything wrong or not. And her group had the audacity to blame 'Obama supporters' for 'tainting' the probe, as if it wasn't a Republican-led Congress that not only voted to authorize it, they voted not to strip the authority from the investigator when she tried to get it shut down last week.

You can't just decide to stop cooperating when things look like they might get embarrassing...

Cycloptichorn
kickycan

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 08:41 am
@Foxfyre,
That's right, it's all the media's fault that McCain is lying!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 08:51 am
@Cycloptichorn,
McCain is now only 5pts down in NY State. He was 20 pts down... Blue states are turning purple...
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 08:56 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

McCain is now only 5pts down in NY State. He was 20 pts down... Blue states are turning purple...

You gonna hold your breath on that one, McG?

lol

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 09:00 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

The stats have been especially interesting this election cycle I think. Of concern is Virginia which is essentially a dead heat right now. Virginia is normally a pretty solid red state, so there is still a lot of volatility for these last seven weeks.

The most telling thing, however, given the President's low approval ratings and how badly the GOP Congress blew it, a slowed economy and rising unemployment numbers, Obama should be walking away with this with out even having to campaign much. Yet this will go down as the most enormously expensive Presidential election in history by a wide margin even adjusted for inflation.

You have to figure that a Democrat, especially a very well funded charismatic one that is getting massive assistance from the media, should win in a landslide in the current political climate. I think the fact that the race is so close does show some definite weakness in the Democrat candidate and perhaps some unreported strength in the GOP candidate.

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 09:47 am
McCain's economic advisor claims that McCain invented the Blackberry.

Quote:
Asked what work John McCain did as Chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee that helped him understand the financial markets, the candidate's top economic adviser wielded visual evidence: his BlackBerry.

"He did this," Douglas Holtz-Eakin told reporters this morning, holding up his BlackBerry. "Telecommunications of the United States is a premier innovation in the past 15 years, comes right through the Commerce committee so you're looking at the miracle John McCain helped create and that's what he did."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0908/HoltzEakin_McCain_helped_create_BlackBerry.html?showall

Um, RIM is a Canadian company and the Blackberry worked there long before they brought it to America.

What a stupid, stupid line. What is wrong with these guys that they can't stop lying?

Cycloptichorn
spendius

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 09:53 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Be careful Cylco- if you goad them enough they might start telling you the truth. And that would give you the screaming ab-dabs.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 09:56 am
@spendius,
I don't know what an 'ab-dab' is.

[quote]Critics Question Palin's Record on "Epidemic" Rape, Domestic Violence in Alaska
Effort to Tackle Sex Violence Stalled by Palin's Office, Sources Say
By JUSTIN ROOD

September 15, 2008"

Evangelicals and social conservatives have embraced McCain's vice presidential pick for what they call her "pro-family," "pro-woman" values. But in Alaska, critics say Gov. Sarah Palin has not addressed the rampant sexual abuse, rape, domestic violence and murder that make her state one of the most dangerous places in the country for women and children.

Alaska leads the nation in reported forcible rapes per capita, according to the FBI, with a rate two and a half times the national average  a ranking it has held for many years. Children are no safer: Public safety experts believe that the prevalence of rape and sexual assault of minors in Alaska makes the state's record one of the worst in the U.S. And while solid statistics on domestic violence are hard to come by, most  including Gov. Palin  agree it is an "epidemic."

Despite the governor's pro-family image, public safety experts and advocates for women and children struggled when asked to explain how Palin's leadership has helped address the crisis. And current and former officials from Palin's administration confirmed that an ambitious plan to tackle the crisis has apparently sunk into doldrums after arriving at the governor's office.

"She's really done a lot of work on oil and gas, but when it comes to violence against women and children. . . we haven't been on her radar as a priority," said Peggy Brown, executive director of the Alaska Network on Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault. The Juneau-based group is an umbrella organization for shelters and anti-violence programs around the state.

State troopers respond to most domestic violence calls outside of Alaska's major cities, but they're too short-staffed and under-funded to do it well, according to Robert Claus, a recently retired trooper.

"The training says you always respond to domestic violence with two people, [but] for most of my career that hasn't been possible," said Claus, who lives on the remote island he patrolled for 15 years. "So how do you go down the list and do what you're supposed to do  separate the people, transport one person while taking care of the kids and victim? You have to pick and choose. We haven't seen the money to do that."

In an interview Wed. arranged by the McCain-Palin campaign, former Palin aide Meg Stapleton defended her old boss' record. "One of the governor's number one priorities since taking office has always been to tackle domestic violence in the state of Alaska," said Stapleton.

Several victims' advocates noted that Palin did agree to a two percent increase in funding for victim assistance this year. But a March study by a state task force found that level of funding only covered the cost of helping women and children hurt by the epidemic of sexual violence. It was not enough to try to prevent assaults from happening  or to ensure "accountability of offenders," as the panel phrased it.

In a press release Thurs., the director of an Anchorage women's shelter defended Palin's leadership on the issue. In addition to approving the funding increase, Gov. Palin boosted anti-violence efforts by "publicly speaking out against domestic violence," noted Judy Cordell, director of Abused Women's Aid in Crisis (AWAIC). The state legislature also passed a tough anti-strangulation law while Palin has been in office, Cordell said.

Some members of Palin's administration were focused on the issue of sexual violence. Officials in the Department of Public Safety were devising an ambitious, multi-million-dollar initiative to seriously tackle sex crimes in the state, but Palin's office put the plan on hold in July.

Days later, Palin fired its chief proponent, Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan, after he declined to dismiss a state trooper Palin accused of threatening her own family members. Palin has said she fired Monegan because she wanted to move his department in a "new direction," and he was not being "a team player on budgeting issues." The dismissal is now at the center of a hotly-contested investigation by the state legislature.

The status of the plan, which would have "fast-tracked" sex crime cases via a dedicated group that included specially-trained investigators, judges and prosecutors, is unknown. "I'd ask the governor," said one official with knowledge of the plan. Numerous inquiries to Palin's campaign spokeswoman went unreturned.

Coincidentally, Palin had praised Monegan -- and specifically his work on domestic violence -- just months before she fired him.

"An indication of our commitment is the participation here of my, our, department of Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan's participation here and all of his hard work, and I want to publicly thank him," Palin said in remarks at an April 28 conference on domestic violence. "I want to publicly thank Walt for having his heart in the right place and his efforts too."

Click Here for the Investigative Homepage.

Copyright © 2008 ABC News Internet Ventures
[/quote]

http://abcnews.go.com/print?id=5804581

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 10:20 am
@Cycloptichorn,
So, it turns out that McCain DOES have a plan for the economy: form a Commission. Seriously.

I seem to recall that McCain couldn't be bothered to show up and vote on the recommendations of the 9/11 commission; he was in CA for a fundraiser instead that day.

What a joke

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 11:05 am
Today's tracking polls:

Ras - McCain 48 Obama 47
Gallup - McCain 47 Obama 46
Diego/Hotline Obama 46 McCain 42
DKos/R2k Obama 48 McCain 44

Looks like McCain's convention bounce is petering out.

Cycloptichorn
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 11:10 am
@Cycloptichorn,
No, considering that McCain was consistently behind up to the Convention, it appears that his convention bounce is holding up quite well. You can cherry pick numbers all you want and it won't change that fact. Daily KOS? Puleeeeeze.

I watch Rasmussen and RCP only and that lets me follow the trends pretty well. The two together have been consistently accurate for a long time now.