The 2008 Republican Convention...

eoe

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 01:42 pm
@maporsche,
Oh! That's right.
Sorry. Let me rephrase...
Because that's who's going to take THE girl out.
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 02:49 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclo,
Here's what I see coming out of the Republican convention...a whole lot of media coverage of a party that is less intent on partying and bashing the opponent then on the welfare of the country. Right now they are urging the convention masses to donate to the Red Cross or other organizations supporting the relief to Gulf Coast victims.

A lot of folks are interested in reducing the severely partisan nature of Washington When these folks contrast and compare the self-sacrificing and tradition-breaking Republican convention with the self-indulgent, clearly partisan Democratic convention (along with the DNC's traditional 20th-century populist platform), their assessment of the party of "change" would not be the Democrats.

Having said that, I agree that this is a high-risk move on the part of the GOP. Traditionally, the convention serves to frame the opponent as the boogie monster sure to lead the nation to ruin. This has been a highly successful technique in the past, so the GOP's radical departure from tradition might easily backfire. Luckily, Obama's bounce from his convention dissipated quickly and the candidates are once again neck-to-neck. This reassures me that the GOP can survive a non-confrontational convention.
eoe

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 02:52 pm
@slkshock7,
slkshock7 wrote:

Cyclo,
Here's what I see coming out of the Republican convention...a whole lot of media coverage of a party that is less intent on partying and bashing the opponent then on the welfare of the country. Right now they are urging the convention masses to donate to the Red Cross or other organizations supporting the relief to Gulf Coast victims.

So is the Obama campaign. I got the email hours ago.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 03:03 pm
Obama already won:

Obama 327 vs. McCain 206
Free Daily Poll Summaries
Email:
rss feed
State Polls
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 03:09 pm
@slkshock7,
I don't think that it's credible that McCain, the person who has been running ads all summer involving Obama, Britney Spears, and Paris Hilton, is interested in reducing partisanship. The image that they (and you) are trying to project is contradicted by their past actions. I don't think you or McCain is concerned with reducing partisanship one bit. I think that you will see that those who speak tomorrow or the next day hammer into Obama. They won't be able to help themselves and it's all they know.

I would add that Obama's bounce has not dissipated - he's still +6 in Gallup, and -

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/01/opinion/polls/main4405106.shtml

Obama 48, McCain 40 in a new CBS poll.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 03:13 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
That's because McCain has nothing to stand on his own. When his record shows he's voted with Bush on 90 percent of his initiatives, and wants to follow Bush and making the tax cuts permanent for the top 10 percent of wage earners, make social security private, and continue the war in Iraq until we "win," there isn't much McCain has to offer - except lies and innuendos, and bash Obama.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 03:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Obama's camp doesn't even discuss the Social Security issue. They know it's a killer. They are waiting to hit him with it in the last few weeks of the campaign. Highlighting this issue will hurt McCain badly with older voters, the only block who consistently supports him, as they are mostly against privatizing SS.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 03:47 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Hell, it would seem there's a bounce after all -

Quote:
In the head-to-head race between the candidates, Obama now leads 50%-43% among registered voters. In the USA TODAY poll taken Aug. 21-23, the Illinois senator held a four-point lead.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-09-01-poll-monday_N.htm

That's two polls showing him with a higher lead, not even counting the tracking polls.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 03:49 pm
Back to the topic, tho - Laura Bush speaking right now.

Who is going to be on tonight, Cindy McCain? I wonder how she will stack up to Michelle Obama.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 03:59 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Laura Bush isn't the best speaker, but she's nice, like your grandma.

Cindy McCain up - has a popped collar on a mustard yellow coat. Looks like a Stepford vampire. Tells the group to take off their Republican hats - does that mean it isn't usually America First with the Republicans?

Cycloptichorn
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 04:20 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cindy McCain up - has a popped collar on a mustard yellow coat.

Damn, Cyclo, you amaze me. I never realized you knew about women's fashion design. What's a popped collar?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 05:10 pm
@realjohnboy,
Haha, I do know a thing or two about fashion, now that you mention it.

http://assets.236.com/images/photo2/1347/original/original.jpg

A 'popped collar' is when you don't turn your collar down, intentionally. Cindy had that look going on.

Sort of made her look like The Count -

http://www.lukegleeson.com/The%20Count.jpg

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 06:51 pm
Gustav is a lose-lose thing for the RNC.

Disaster relief goes bad - Damned if they don't - A terrible reminder of Katrina.

Disaster relief goes well - Damned if they do - A terrible reminder that they could have done better with Katrina.

I called it.

T
K
O
parados

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 08:07 pm
@Diest TKO,
The GOP's new slogan.

We don't screw up as bad the second time as we did the first time.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:20 pm
@eoe,
Quote:
Because that's who's going to take your girl out.

Interesting. So you are predicting that Hillary is going to confront the GOP veep candidate directly?
eoe

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:34 pm
Well, not directly. I don't mean that Hillary will jump in her face or anything but Hillary should be the one to dish the dirt. After all, she's so good at it.
snood

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:44 pm
@eoe,
Oh. well, yeah - she is good at it. I just thought you knew something, when you said she's going to be the one to get her.
eoe

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:48 pm
@snood,
It would make good sense, right?
Lash

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:02 pm
@eoe,
Actually, I think eoe has something here.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:24 pm
@eoe,
Actually, that's very good strategy; get Hillary to dump on Palin.
0 Replies